PDA

View Full Version : disappearing curls and frizzy hair

lilalong
April 4th, 2008, 12:28 PM
So, apparently I'm a bit more prone to curls than I thought.

Here's a little history. I promise I keep this as short as posible:

I have been using heavy cones conditioners for the past .. um... four years or longer.
Six months ago I noticed that my hair got dryer and dryer. It was all frizzy. I tried to oil over night and stopped the hair dryer I was using for a while then. Nothing changed.

Hmpf. So I chopped off 2 inches, in the hope of getting rid f broken ends, although I haven't seen a split end in years. (I guess, silicone does this to you.) But it didn't help either.

So, then, finally, I fired up google and found the LHC. I read about cone build up and thought, maybe that's the reason for my frizzy looking hair. So I switched to a cone free conditioner and tried the ACV rinse. My hair got much softer, it feels great, BUT: the frizz is still there.

And, a new thing happened: after washing my hair gets quite curly. It used to be very straight, maybe with a little wave in it, but never so much. Now I have very defined corkscrew curls. Cool! Unfortunately, they are falling apart as soon as they are completely dry. :confused:

So, I think the curls might have something to do with my frizz problem. My hair feels good. There are no split ends, but it just looks very frizzy.

So here's my question: I have been thinking about oiling more, because that seems somehow logical. Is there anything else I could do? Did anybody ever experience the curly thing?

oh hair, I wish I could understand you!

Xandergrammy
April 4th, 2008, 12:51 PM
Hi lilalong! Do you comb or brush your hair? I have wurly hair that tends to frizz, especially if I touch it AT ALL after I've detangled it after washing. I only comb my hair in preparation of a style or to detangle after washing and I never brush my hair unless I'll be washing it that day.
Hope that helps.

Ursula
April 4th, 2008, 12:52 PM
Well, you might try looking at the "Curly Girl" book, and at naturallycurly.com - they have wonderful ideas for helping curls stay curly. Lots of conditioner, and perhaps judicious use of gel to keep the locks held into defined curls.

Curls/waves pulling out of defined locks definately leads to one sort of frizz - the type where every hair is curling on its own, and they all pile up agaisnt each other. Are you combing or brushing your hair, as it dries, or after? This would break up the curls, contributing to this type of problem.

A discription of your combing/brushing habits would help figure this out.

Also, you have your hair typed as 1a/b - it sounds as if you are in the "3" range, with spirals! Doing a member search for people with type 3 hair may help you find stuff by people who have experience with similar issues.

spidermom
April 4th, 2008, 01:00 PM
It helps me to stroke gel through my hair, either aloe vera gel or a commercial styling gel. Lately I am using Giovanni L.A. Natural Stying Gel. This defines my curls/waves and tames my frizz. It also gives my hair a more substantial feeling. On its own, my hair is very light and kind of cob-webby. It fluffs out all over the place like a giant cloud. With the gel, it's much better. It dries in more of a ropey appearance. I don't comb it until I need to style it, then it takes on the wave of braids or bun curls.

I also use coconut or olive oil after washing while my hair is still damp. I use it on dry hair, too, when I'm putting my hair up or braiding it for the night.

Patrycja
April 4th, 2008, 01:55 PM
you have my problem :) I have yet to figure out to keep the spirals in but heres a quick suggestion: for a good clafying treatment to clear all the gunk out built up from cones,mix baking soda and shampoo(poo)into a paste and apply it to your roots.Gently scrub and rinse.Then apply a good heavy cone conditioner all over,let it sit for a few to soak in and rinse(of course).I do this about once a week now that I figured out it is terrific to wake the hair back up.

Let me know if you do figure out how to make those spirals last.I also want to ask you-where are you located?The humidity factor and dryness in your air in your region has a big impact on the curls.And,what is your current routine?

Riot Crrl
April 4th, 2008, 02:05 PM
That story is pretty close to mine. I thought that I just had frizzy, puffy hair and had no idea that curls were begging to escape their coney prison!

I'd second the clarification, but I don't know if baking soda will do much for cones. Also, I would suds the whole length this one time. It will not be fun or make your hair feel good. DT afterwards.

Then, it's just leave-in conditioner and gel. At nc.com we tend to really micro-analyze these products. Some will work for you better than others, but they should all work some, probably. Just use cone-free ones so you can avoid doing that gnarly shampoo step ever again. Oh, and regular DTs.

Nevermore
April 4th, 2008, 02:12 PM
You may want to try conditioner only washing too. I used to have sometimes frizzy hair that went from overly dry to an oilslick over night and conditioner-only has been the best thing ever for me. I just c/o wash, run a wide tooth comb thru my hair post-shower and leave it alone until it dries. Once it does, I can brush/comb it and it'll settle into waves instead of turning into a mess that resembles a long haired dog who stood out in a hurricane.

On the subject of c/o washing, if you use the sauve naturals line of conditioners know that they ARE different. I had assumed that they were all pretty much the same, in terms of what they did when used for washing, except in smell and color. Hah. Little did I know! The citrus smoothie is more clarifying, the coconut is more conditioning, the waterfall/ocean ones don't clean very well in my experience. They all killed the frizz, however.

Riot Crrl
April 4th, 2008, 02:58 PM
You may want to try conditioner only washing too. I used to have sometimes frizzy hair that went from overly dry to an oilslick over night and conditioner-only has been the best thing ever for me. I just c/o wash, run a wide tooth comb thru my hair post-shower and leave it alone until it dries. Once it does, I can brush/comb it and it'll settle into waves instead of turning into a mess that resembles a long haired dog who stood out in a hurricane.

That's what I do too, except I only comb it now in the shower with conditioner in it. After applying gel and styling I try not to touch it again until it's completely dry, then scrunch it so the gel is no longer crispy. Then I continue trying not to touch it, ever.

groque
April 5th, 2008, 12:03 AM
I second the detangling in the shower. If I comb my hair after I get out of the shower, my curls don't come out. I have to let them stay they way they are when they come out of the towel. I then add my serum and gel to my hair to get my curls to stay. if I don't add anything poof my hair is frizzy and wavy.

physicschick
April 5th, 2008, 08:56 AM
When my hair is dripping wet, I put a light coating of oil on my hands (usually a mix of cocoa butter and other oils) and rake it through my hair. It sounds like you have more curl than I do, but this does help give my waves a little more stability. It also helps keep the tangles down. If you try this, you'll probably want to use a lighter oil than cocoa butter. It doesn't absorb as well on some people.

Frizz just goes with wavy hair, though. There's often no complete cure.

salamander
April 5th, 2008, 11:36 AM
Heavy oilings are what turned my frizz into curls. I wet my hair down, load it up with oil, leave it in overnight, and CO it out in the morning. And lo, there are curls. I put a little Aveda Be Curly in it after my shower, and otherwise do not touch at all in any way until it's dry. Aloe gel is also a good leave in, if you want to avoid cones.

GlassEyes
April 5th, 2008, 12:22 PM
Find a leave in conditioner. You hair was probably weighted down by the cones. Welcome to the curly side of things! ^_^

lilalong
April 6th, 2008, 05:13 AM
Thanks everybody for the suggestions.
I've been reading all your tips and will experiment more with different hair care products and oils and will report back soon.

I have been taking pictures of my hair and might post them here in a few days so you all can have a look at my schizophrenic hair. :)

lilalong
April 6th, 2008, 05:20 AM
Hi lilalong! Do you comb or brush your hair? I have wurly hair that tends to frizz, especially if I touch it AT ALL after I've detangled it after washing. I only comb my hair in preparation of a style or to detangle after washing and I never brush my hair unless I'll be washing it that day.
Hope that helps.

I usually either just finger comb my hair, as it is only just past my shoulders and never tangles very much.
This has changed a bit since I stopped using cones, but it's still manageable.

Sigh, I just want to have nice looking hair. I don't care if it curls or not.

ilovelonghair
April 6th, 2008, 05:26 AM
This is such an interesting subject, because I also noticed more curls lately. My hair has changed a lot since I'm on this forum! I even found some spirals in my hair last week.

Riot Crrl
April 6th, 2008, 12:58 PM
ilovelonghair, your sig looks like spirals to me! I am very skeptical about the 2a typing!

Curlsgirl
April 11th, 2008, 06:37 PM
The right products make all the difference for me. For curl definition I like a creamy product and for frizz, coconut oil really works the best for me. Stopping the brushing and letting my hair dry without touching it after I put the product in it has helped more than anything. www.jessicurl.com (http://www.jessicurl.com) has come good hints and even when I don't use my Jessicurl products I use the method for scrunching they do but usually without blow drying. You really do need a good moisturizing leave-in. Moisture=nice soft pretty curls. :D Can't wait to see your pics!

Check out www.naturallycurly.com (http://www.naturallycurly.com) and our Wurly/curly thread here on the Mane Forum too for more hints!

lora410
April 11th, 2008, 06:55 PM
Your hair may be changing due to a hormonal change (I am assuming your a female) also try a clarifying with baking soda and sulfate free poo or mix it w cone free conish and see if that helps any. Cone condish is known to be heavy so maybe try non-cone for a week and see how you do with that.