PDA

View Full Version : Hair Style Scaredy cat?

bikerblue
April 19th, 2009, 09:28 AM
If I wear my hair in a new style I'm not confident enough to go out in public wearing it, at the moment I love wearing it in a simple cinnamon bun with hairsticks but only around the house. Does anyone else feel like this? Or is it me?

neon-dream
April 19th, 2009, 09:32 AM
I do this too!
I wore my hair straightened and down for so many years, people think it's a big deal that I've stopped straightening it and wearing half ups most days.
I'd love to wear sticks outside, but I don't have to confidence to do it just yet, so I see what you mean.
:flowers:

Aicha
April 19th, 2009, 09:54 AM
I'm the same way, I like to try out a new hairstyle around the house first before wearing it out in public. Plus, that way I can see if the style will hold all day, or if I'll need to add some extra bobby pins or something.

florenonite
April 19th, 2009, 09:58 AM
I'm like this. For years I wore my hair either loose or in a messy bun with a hair tie, so it was ages before I started wearing a hairstick cinnabun outside. Now there are lots more styles I try at home but won't wear outside.

AprilElf
April 19th, 2009, 03:16 PM
I'm not confident enough with doing crown braids to wear them out in public. :p
Pretty much anything else (so far) I'll wear out on a first attempt.

Eryka
April 19th, 2009, 03:20 PM
Yup, I do this with makeup too. :D

Jessica Trapp
April 19th, 2009, 06:11 PM
Maybe you could post a pic and we could all send you confidence vibes.:cheer:

Curlsgirl
April 19th, 2009, 06:33 PM
I am not really like that. I figure if I don't like it or it won't hold I can just take it down and whip it up into a figure 8 which is my "no fail" do that I have down better than anything else. :D Course I don't really do that many updos either. I REALLY need to learn some more but I am a bit lazy in that department and I am finally facing that. LOL

JamieLeigh
April 20th, 2009, 09:04 AM
It's not just you! :o Sometimes I'm a bit chicken too, since there aren't a lot of long-hairs where I live, and I have only once in my lifetime seen an actual "style" (the infinity bun) on anyone in person. But then I think about one of the main reasons why I'm growing out my hair - to NOT fit into the mainstream of what's popular and to stand out from the crowd (not the most important reason, but it's up there) - and I know that my cool hairstyles are going to be different than what anyone else has seen. 8) Somewhere along the line, we just have to quit worrying so much about what other people think and do what we love to do. :flower:

atlantaz3
April 20th, 2009, 09:33 AM
I practiced french braiding for months before wearing it in public. It's not just you. Plus I'm afraid of losing expensive hair sticks - need to get over that fear and just wear them!

Nynaeve
April 21st, 2009, 10:47 PM
I'm the same way, I like to try out a new hairstyle around the house first before wearing it out in public. Plus, that way I can see if the style will hold all day, or if I'll need to add some extra bobby pins or something.

This. Also, I am a bit of a perfectionist, so I often have to make sure I can do the hairstyle well enough to suit my tastes before I would **ever** wear it outside for any amount of time.

spidermom
April 21st, 2009, 10:51 PM
No; quite the opposite. I often try a new style because I'm going out and want something different. (this is not the best time to try something new; you can end up being late because of hair failing to cooperate)

Magicknthenight
April 22nd, 2009, 12:23 AM
It used to be the same for me. I would never wear my hair up. Mostly because I was a bit self conscious over my ears. So i wore it up in my room, then the apartment building, then outside around there, and finally out. Now it feels odd with it down!

Aditi
April 22nd, 2009, 01:41 AM
Yes i am definitely scared of wearing new hairstyle outside, like other i first try at my home then in neighborhood and finally outside. I just love to keep my hair open but i get scared whether the waves will not behave properly in public and i will look like a Ghost or something :alien:, due to this i always have to wear that boring half-pony hairstyle everywhere.

Arctic_Mama
April 22nd, 2009, 02:00 AM
Add me to the list, I do the same thing! Especially when I am self conscious about how heavy I am and how heavy my face looks I am extra shy about updos at first.

bikerblue
April 22nd, 2009, 07:48 AM
I used to get negative comments from a man at work if I wore my hair up or wore hairsticks (think "oh look she's got chopsticks in her hair") I know I really shouldn't give a hoot about what other people think but it did knock my confidence a little.

Unofficial_Rose
April 22nd, 2009, 07:58 AM
I used to get negative comments from a man at work if I wore my hair up or wore hairsticks (think "oh look she's got chopsticks in her hair") I know I really shouldn't give a hoot about what other people think but it did knock my confidence a little.

You should get one of those dagger/sword sticks. Nightshade and another hairstick maker (sorry, forgotten the name, bet someone could help) sometimes have them.

Then you can say "Actually this little dagger is reserved for rude people. Do you know anyone around here who fits that description?" :pins:

susiemw
April 23rd, 2009, 01:23 PM
I'm the opposite.
I love trying the new styles I've learned here and I wear them out even when they're not perfect.

1. Even my nonperfect hairstyles are much better than anyone I'm going to see can do. Most people don't know what a "perfect nautilus" or a "perfect gibson" look like anyway and they certainly couldn't do one.

2. Most people are too tied up in their own lives to pay much attention to anyone else.

3. If some idiot like bikerblue's coworker started making negative comments about my hair I'd probably go even more extreme in my style :) perhaps wear 3 or 4 or 5 sticks at once or I"d make a simple comment like "yes, i wore this one for you, I know you like my hairsticks!" :)

having said that, french braids were the first braid I ever learned (decades ago) and I did have to practice that one a bunch of times before wearing it out. However, my first attempts at french braids weren't just mediocre, they were awful!!

Susan

Carolyn
April 23rd, 2009, 02:11 PM
I used to get negative comments from a man at work if I wore my hair up or wore hairsticks (think "oh look she's got chopsticks in her hair") I know I really shouldn't give a hoot about what other people think but it did knock my confidence a little.I think I'd tell him to find his own chopstick and stick it where the sun don't shine :twisted:

I love trying out new styles. I don't go anywhere where I would feel too self conscious. Very few people notice things like hair styles and hair accessories. I don't worry about what others think. Hair as long as mine is an oddity as is anything other then messy buns for updo's. Sure I have hairstyle failures now and then. It's not a big deal. I always carry a selection of hair toys in my bag and I can take out one style and do another very quickly.

I find it really sad that there are longhairs who don't wear new styles when they go out and only wear them at home.