PDA

View Full Version : Shampoo help

Dachsdragon
April 19th, 2009, 04:07 AM
Im relatively new here and have been reading about the different natural products used to wash hair and have been looking for a shampoo with all the homemade goodies in it but without the sulfates and other nasties. I have some of my hair is falling out by the roots so I figure if I can get away from the toxins in shampoos, perhaps it would fix the problem. I found a shampoo by Feminine Mystique. Im wondering if anyone else has used it or has heard anything about it? Or has any ideas they could share with me.
This is the ingredients list:Aloe Vera, Burdock,Calendula, Chamomile, Horsetail, Rosehip and Lavender. Purified Water, Organic Jojoba Oil, Biodynamic Safflower Oil, Organic Avocado Oil, Biodynamic Macadamia Oil, Guar Gum, Capric/Caprylic Glucoside, Coco Betaine, Citric Acid, Sodium Hydroxymethylglicintate, Black Coconut Essential Oil, Vanilla Essential Oil.
Thank you

Arctic
April 19th, 2009, 05:22 AM
It looks really nice and gentle. These two Capric/Caprylic Glucoside and Coco Betaine are the cleansing agents, to my understanding (I'm not an expert) and they are very mild and gentle from what I just read. It looks good so you'll have to try it if it works for you, I hope it will!

I personally couldn't use it because it has so many oils, my scalp would start to break out. But I have sensitive skin, acne and probably SD too.

Moonstruck
April 19th, 2009, 09:43 AM
That DOES sound good, in my opinion! Then again, I'm just wildly in love with herbs and such, and this one has quite the nice list of them. Only thing that confuses me is that I don't think Vanilla Essential Oil exists, just Vanilla Absolute or fragrance oils. However, I feel like some companies just write EO because it's more familiar than calling it an absolute.

LaCitoyenne
April 20th, 2009, 02:25 PM
Sounds interesting. Where can you find it?

Dachsdragon
April 21st, 2009, 04:11 AM
It's called Feminine Mysteries, I Love My Hair Black Coconut & Tahitian Vanilla natural shampoo.

I looked up those couple of ingredients and it says they are mild. I get an oily scalp if I leave it too long between washes so Im not sure about the oil levels, pitty they dont put the amount on the ingredients list.

Dachsdragon
April 21st, 2009, 04:15 AM
Sorry LaCitoyenne, femininemysteries.com Its in the health food stores here in Australia but I believe you can get it online at a few different sites.

marialena
April 21st, 2009, 09:29 AM
All the ingredients seem natural but ..
Look what I found about Sodium Hydroxymethylglycinate:

As it says in this blog:
http://www.truthinskincare.com/2008/01/ingredient-watch-sodium.html

[..]There's been a large number of "natural" product makers that have been less than truthful by touting Sodium Hydroxymethylglycinate as a natural preservative and I'll repeat again: this is simply NOT true! It is true that it is based on glycine (a natural amino acid) but lets take a look at what they look like chemically.[....]Sodium Hydroxymethylglycinate is actually a skin and eye irritant. In both test animals and humans. Even after washing with water it can burn your eyes.[...]Sodium Hydroxymethylglycinate smells highly rancid, and even at concentrations of less than 1% can burn and irritate the skin. I learned this lesson by creating a prototype face spray with even less than 1% Sodium[..] ( he should be more careful and not make himself a quinea-pig.:rolleyes:)

And here is another blog that refers to this ingredient as well.

http://blog.paiskincare.com/2009/01/what-is-sodium-hydroxymethylglycinate.html

And here is a very interesting article about preservatives ( pdf)

http://lib.store.yahoo.net/lib/treasuredlocks/preservatives1.pdf

LaCitoyenne
April 22nd, 2009, 03:41 PM
Sorry LaCitoyenne, femininemysteries.com Its in the health food stores here in Australia but I believe you can get it online at a few different sites.

Thanks, Dachsdragon!

Dachsdragon
April 22nd, 2009, 04:45 PM
Thanks Marialena, the Sodium Hydroxymethylglycinate does not sound good at all.
I think I will try making up something at home to shampoo with.
Thanks for the help everyone :flower:

mikegeorge
April 22nd, 2009, 05:48 PM
Don't give up yet. Have you seen the products from "Morrocco Method". They are very natural. I am a new user, but so far the results have been good.

Dachsdragon
April 22nd, 2009, 11:15 PM
Thanks Mikegeorge, I will have a look at that.