PDA

View Full Version : Complete hair envy, aka Merrie Monarch Festival

Mishka_84
April 19th, 2009, 02:07 AM
Hawaii has an annual event, the Merrie Monarch Festival, which is a 3 day long hula competition. I've been watching it since Thursday night, and am in a state of utter envy :o. Most (if not all) of the women performing in this have such LONG hair!! Alot of them are past tailbone!

I did notice, though, in the individual women's portion of the competition, it looks like several of the women put micro-braids in their hair for mini-braid waves, for volume. I can't find any pictures of them from behind (lol, maybe because everyone else is focused on the dancing, and not the hair), but if might be more obvious from the videos. For some of them the volume looked like natural mini-curls, but not all of them.

http://www.kitv.com/merriemonarch/index.html (here's the link to the local news site for the festival).

JamieLeigh
April 20th, 2009, 09:58 AM
I love how long women in Hawaii seem to like to keep their hair. It's amazing to watch it swaying around during a hula exhibition. Almost as magical as belly-dance! :D I was privileged to be in an AWESOME high school band, and we were chosen to march in a parade in Honolulu after winning a competition in Washington, DC, and I remember looking around at all the women and admiring their long hair quite a bit. Of course, I felt like I fit right in at that time, since my hair was probably lower-thigh at that point. ;)

andber
April 21st, 2009, 11:53 AM
Are there any members here at the LHC who are involved in hula dancing? (Both in the US mainland and Hawaii). Are you also members of a halau? From what I understand a halau is much more than "just a dance club", it has to do with a way of living. Am I right?