PDA

View Full Version : Does anyone heavy oil everyday?

pdy2kn6
April 19th, 2009, 01:13 AM
recently i have been heavy oiling everyday, as in smothering the oil on my hair, perhaps the day after washing. Does anyone who isn't bothered about the way it looks, wearing it up most of the time, do this? any negatives to doing this other than the 'oiled' look you obviously get?(which isn't really an issue for me). i feel like my hair is really vulnerable when it isn't oiled, like vulnerable to the weather conditions, or styles that i wear, so i always use either the sweet almond oil or coconut oil which i braught with me, using tonnes of it...

Natalia
April 19th, 2009, 01:17 AM
I do alot of heavy oiling but i dont really go anywhere because of some health issues im dealing with right now. I usually just slather it on and either braid or bun it and just comb it gently at the end of the day and braid it before bed. My hair seems to love it :). I have been shedding alot but that was before oiling i dont know if its helped that or not but i feel it gets less friction and wear and tear when i oil. Not sure i really answered anything :P but thats my 2 cents :D

Natalia

Honey39
April 19th, 2009, 01:31 AM
Does oiling actually massively improve your hair? I'm sceptical, because when I first joined here, I religiously oiled every day etc, but it didn't really make a huge difference. Then I realised that a good quality leave-in conditioner made my hair feel moisturised, silky, supple and well, conditioned! in a way in which oil never did. I still use jojoba oil a few times a week, but I'm not sure that oil made such a massive difference for me. Maybe it depends on hair type? My hair needs moisture desperately, and of course oil doesn't moisturise hair, it seals in/out moisture (I think...)

Natalia
April 19th, 2009, 01:51 AM
Does oiling actually massively improve your hair? I'm sceptical, because when I first joined here, I religiously oiled every day etc, but it didn't really make a huge difference. Then I realised that a good quality leave-in conditioner made my hair feel moisturised, silky, supple and well, conditioned! in a way in which oil never did. I still use jojoba oil a few times a week, but I'm not sure that oil made such a massive difference for me. Maybe it depends on hair type? My hair needs moisture desperately, and of course oil doesn't moisturise hair, it seals in/out moisture (I think...)

To me it has helped. I had let oiling slip (no pun intended) untill recently and then i did a few heavy oilings in a row and my crispy frizzed out ends have seriously improved :). But thats just my experiance. My virgin roots feel the best by far mainly becasue they are new but the oiling really made them shine. As long as i wash it out throughly the middle of my hair is far easier to comb even though it tangles about the same if i wear it down it is just far easier to work through. Right now im mainly using coconut, olive, and sesame. Plus i have shea on the way. Lol i have way to much energy for this time of night :p reply like lightning!

Shanarana
April 19th, 2009, 05:59 AM
I always have some kind of oil in my hair (not real heavy). As it gets closer for me to wash it, I usually will load up extra oil for at least 24 hours before washing.

Copasetic
April 19th, 2009, 07:43 AM
I use quite a bit of oil daily, but my hair just soaks it right up! I swear my hair can take a lot of product. The only time I really oil my hair, to the point where it would be noticeable to others is before I shampoo it.

MoonCreature
April 19th, 2009, 11:01 AM
I can think that a really heavy oiling that inclues the scalp may cause some problems. Oil in the scalp may clog the pores and lead to acne or other problems when the skin can't breath.
Oil on the ends I'm not sure if it may cause problems, maybe if it's so heavy that it covers the hair all the time and hinders moisture from reaching the hair.

spidermom
April 19th, 2009, 11:13 AM
I like the benefits of oiling my hair, but I limit it to mostly pre-wash oilings because it attracts dust and stuff to my hair, which makes a tangly mess out of it.

RancheroTheBee
April 19th, 2009, 11:42 AM
I don't really like straight oils unless I'm doing a pre-wash treatment. I also discovered leave-in conditioners, specifically Fox's Conditioning cream, did a lot more to my hair than just oils. I've found that really heavily oiling doesn't do a whole lot, other than irritate my scalp.

ratgirldjh
April 19th, 2009, 11:47 AM
Actually, I have done this in the past for a time. I was water only and I would sometimes just put a LOT of coconut oil with lavender EO in my hair and leave it for days. Then I would start washing it out with WO - which would take several more days. When I would finally get the oil out my hair would be very soft and thick though. I believe that my hair loves being heavily oiled - but not so much lightly oiled. Funny thing - when my hair is heavily oiled it becomes a LOT more wavy! I would have thought that a heavy oiling would weigh my hair down!

chrissy-b
April 19th, 2009, 01:57 PM
I do a somewhat heavy oiling almost every day. I usually use a little leave-in right after a wash and then use an oil mixture (shea, jojoba, coconut and olive) on the ends before I put it up. On dirty days I usually mist the ends and put a little more oil on before styling. By the time I wash again my ends are pretty slick but they are always soft. My hair really loves oils.

ChloeDharma
April 19th, 2009, 03:27 PM
When i joined here i had very fried hair from chemical processing, to the point that my hair looked like, well...pubes to be blunt, and felt like straw.
My main routine was CO washing but with a DT for the conditioner, regular hennaing and constant oiling. I washed it twice per week and kept it heavily oiled, at least on the length from the ears down every day, then a day before washing i smothered all my hair from the scalp down in oil. This combination saved my hair.
A while ago i got to the point where i washed very infrequently, even less than once a week, i'd lightly oil my hair after washing but heavily oiled within 24 hours of washing it......sometimes i even heavily oiled before my hair had completely dried. Then each day i would top up with oil, i was also religiously doing scalp massages with herb infused oils. During this time, about 6ish months, my hair shot from waist to hip length very quickly and my ponytail circumference increased by about 150%, i was also herb washing only though so it could be either of those things that did it, or a combination.
Actually, i really must do this again......i can relate to feeling like the hairs are too vulnerable when not oiled.

rhubarbarin
April 19th, 2009, 03:33 PM

Oil on my hair as opposed to conditioners, is the same as oil on my skin opposed to lotion.. it's not at ALL the same for me. I have very dry skin and even applying oil directly after bathing won't keep my skin moisturized. I need emollients!

ChloeDharma
April 19th, 2009, 03:57 PM
When i joined here i had very fried hair from chemical processing, to the point that my hair looked like, well...pubes to be blunt, and felt like straw.
My main routine was CO washing but with a DT for the conditioner, regular hennaing and constant oiling. I washed it twice per week and kept it heavily oiled, at least on the length from the ears down every day, then a day before washing i smothered all my hair from the scalp down in oil. This combination saved my hair.
A while ago i got to the point where i washed very infrequently, even less than once a week, i'd lightly oil my hair after washing but heavily oiled within 24 hours of washing it......sometimes i even heavily oiled before my hair had completely dried. Then each day i would top up with oil, i was also religiously doing scalp massages with herb infused oils. During this time, about 6ish months, my hair shot from waist to hip length very quickly and my ponytail circumference increased by about 150%, i was also herb washing only though so it could be either of those things that did it, or a combination.
Actually, i really must do this again......i can relate to feeling like the hairs are too vulnerable when not oiled.

windinherhair
April 19th, 2009, 04:28 PM
I just don't want to use oil and get that "dirty" or "greasy" look. Maybe I would just have to be careful about the amount I use.

Namratha
September 14th, 2015, 02:16 AM
Hi, I also follow the same routine as ChloeDharma. Oiling has helped by hair so much and now I keep my hair heavily oiled nearly everyday. I use coconut oil mostly.
Namratha

dogzdinner
September 14th, 2015, 03:35 AM
weird, it just feels 'yucky' to me! I overdid my argan oil the other day which I suppose counts as heavy oiling (seeing as how I CBA washing it out yet!). Just makes my hair feel all tangly and kinda sticky. I think my hair type benefits from benign neglect though, so a weekly wash with my trusty shampoo bar and a blob of oil on the ends!