PDA

View Full Version : Visually Interesting Buns?

adventuring
April 19th, 2009, 12:40 AM
I love the way buns themselves look, but I find they're not particularly interesting from the front. Is there anything you guys do to make that a bit prettier?

(I'll admit in advance, I'm not very good at French braiding the sides of my hair--so, you know, not that. Though, if you have any tips on that...)

Juneii
April 19th, 2009, 12:45 AM
headbands? small clips? a few layers/wisps framing your face makes the bun look softer too :]

wait, are we talking about accessories or what we can do with our hair to make it look prettier?

adventuring
April 19th, 2009, 12:47 AM
wait, are we talking about accessories or what we can do with our hair to make it look prettier?

Either, just anything pretty. =)

LittleOrca
April 19th, 2009, 12:49 AM
Maybe leave a little hair at the sides down, something like this (http://i153.photobucket.com/albums/s217/GaaraLover727/hair.jpg?t=1240123720). Granted that's an anime picture, but I'm sure you can get the idea. :)

Cinnamon Hair
April 19th, 2009, 12:54 AM
If you place the bun high enough it will be visible from the front if that's a look you are going for. You may need longer/more hair for it though. Figure 8's are especially visible from the front.

adventuring
April 19th, 2009, 01:04 AM
If you place the bun high enough it will be visible from the front if that's a look you are going for. You may need longer/more hair for it though. Figure 8's are especially visible from the front.

Thanks! I'll try it.

aisling
April 19th, 2009, 01:13 AM
Make a deep side part and comb some hair over your forehead to create a sideswept bangs style. That will give some variation as well.

adventuring
April 19th, 2009, 01:18 AM
Make a deep side part and comb some hair over your forehead to create a sideswept bangs style. That will give some variation as well.

Will do, thank you!

pdy2kn6
April 19th, 2009, 01:30 AM
perhaps a fringe? or if you dont want to cut, i agree with cinnamon hair, the bun held further up so visable to the front always looks good i think. it reminds me of ancient chinese hairstyles

adventuring
April 19th, 2009, 01:33 AM
perhaps a fringe? or if you dont want to cut, i agree with cinnamon hair, the bun held further up so visable to the front always looks good i think. it reminds me of ancient chinese hairstyles

Ha, no, bangs frizz up like crazy on me. But I'll try pinning the bun further up, thanks!

sneakybea
April 19th, 2009, 02:03 AM
Here's an article by Nightshade that might help:
http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/vbjournal.php?do=article&articleid=87
I haven't tried it myself, but it's supposed to help add volume to your updos.

adventuring
April 19th, 2009, 02:05 AM
Here's an article by Nightshade that might help:
http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/vbjournal.php?do=article&articleid=87
I haven't tried it myself, but it's supposed to help add volume to your updos.

Oooh, looks helpful, thank you!

Finoriel
April 19th, 2009, 02:14 AM
Learn to dutch or french braid the sides. :wink:
If you can not do that yet, take a small section of hair from the front and do an accent-braid (or several accent-braids). Simple three strand braid ones, rope braids or box-braids are my favourites for that. (The rose-bun is a good example for that style.)
Not all buns leave the front hair looking the same, Gibson-type buns are very loose looking and create another front-look than a tight bun would.
A folded scarf, bandanas or hairclips also can add some variation.
There are also clip-in extensions, if you like to have bright coloured streaks for a day.

(And not really hair related, but switching earrings can also make a big difference in how you look when you wear your hair up.)

adventuring
April 19th, 2009, 02:19 AM
Learn to dutch or french braid the sides. :wink:
If you can not do that yet, take a small section of hair from the front and do an accent-braid (or several accent-braids). Simple three strand braid ones, rope braids or box-braids are my favourites for that. (The rose-bun is a good example for that style.)
Not all buns leave the front hair looking the same, Gibson-type buns are very loose looking and create another front-look than a tight bun would.
A folded scarf, bandanas or hairclips also can add some variation.
There are also clip-in extensions, if you like to have bright coloured streaks for a day.

(And not really hair related, but switching earrings can also make a big difference in how you look when you wear your hair up.)

I've been working on braiding the sides, but haven't really improved much. I'll keep at it! Accent braids sound like a great idea in the meantime, thank you.

(I've got captive bead earrings, which are really hard to get closed, so I don't tend to change them much.)

Arctic
April 19th, 2009, 04:21 AM
You can roll the sides like in the Yvaine's hairstyle in the articles (http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/vbjournal.php?do=article&articleid=80) section.

You can make a quiff in the front, big or small :)

And leaving some strands free, I like to leave them in front of my ears, so they are visible fron the front/side but not in my eyes all the time. And as weird as it sounds, also leaving some strands at the nape can be visually interesting from the fron too.

Playing with your part.

adventuring
April 19th, 2009, 04:29 AM
You can roll the sides like in the Yvaine's hairstyle in the articles (http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/vbjournal.php?do=article&articleid=80) section.

You can make a quiff in the front, big or small :)

And leaving some strands free, I like to leave them in front of my ears, so they are visible fron the front/side but not in my eyes all the time. And as weird as it sounds, also leaving some strands at the nape can be visually interesting from the fron too.

Playing with your part.

That article looks like great help, thank you!

JamieLeigh
April 20th, 2009, 09:53 AM
You don't have to French braid, just take a few smaller strands and make a small regular braid, or several small braids and pull them back when you pull the rest of your hair back. They should lay on top of your head so that you can see them from the front or sides. Or even just twist a few strands of hair and do the same thing. It has visual potential!

Also I like hairsticks that have the dangly things at the ends, so that there are little charms and/or beads visible from the front when I've got them in. :)