PDA

View Full Version : Pretending hair is longer or thicker

sahiba
April 4th, 2008, 12:09 PM
My hair has reached my hip but it is extremely fine. My buns and braid ,which I love doing, dont look really full. So when I am out I never braid and my buns usually have a band of my hair colour to make it look little big. Just wondering how many of you do the same.

ChloeDharma
April 4th, 2008, 01:29 PM
Me, absolutely.....your post could have been typed by me word for word!

MemSahib
April 4th, 2008, 01:52 PM
I do. I use two scrunchies to secure a ponytail before bunning my hair. Makes a thicker bun. We finehairs may have a lot of hair, but it compresses down to nothing and looks wimpy without help.

FrannyG
April 4th, 2008, 02:03 PM
I've totally come to terms with my wimpy braids and buns. Since I've been on LHC, while I've had many thick heads of hair to admire, I have really learned to appreciate my hair's own unique beauty. That in itself is one of the best things that has come out of LHC for me. :)

Blueglass
April 4th, 2008, 02:17 PM
Make or buy a straight sash of cotton cloth, or satin, to match your color, include in your braid.

Delilah
April 4th, 2008, 02:19 PM
Low-quality fake hair is readily available at most wal-marts in north america, and some beauty supply or ethnic hair shops.

I made myself a few 'rats' in different shapes. My favorite is a doughnut for using with sock buns. Just backcomb and roll the hair until it gets to the desired shape, or wrap it in a hairnet.

ChloeDharma
April 4th, 2008, 03:54 PM
I've totally come to terms with my wimpy braids and buns. Since I've been on LHC, while I've had many thick heads of hair to admire, I have really learned to appreciate my hair's own unique beauty. That in itself is one of the best things that has come out of LHC for me. :)

Yeah, but the thing is, your braid is really nice and doesn't look wimpy anyway......try having mine hun....most of it is as thin as a microbraid!

HeartfulofHope
April 4th, 2008, 04:02 PM
I can definitely relate - my hair is usually thick, but after a major surgery and a lot of other very stressful things I started losing hair by the handfuls!!! Quite distressing, to say the least. Now I'm trying to build it back up, but am doing the two scrunchie thing with my buns, and usually also wear it down when I'm going out.... I really like my hair, just wish it could be back to being healthy. :-) I'll have to try that scarf idea!!

Jeni
April 4th, 2008, 05:29 PM
I use store bought hair a lot, just not for my modern life. I do civil war reenacting, and my sad short/thin hair just wasn't cutting it, so I went to sally's and bought me some! I felt a little funny wearing a hairpiece, but I got over it. Apparently it's a good match, I was asked after a weekend event last year, how in the world I got my slightly longer then shoulder length hair into a braided bun that covers the back of my head...I'm magic, was my answer.. :)

I don't think there is anything wrong with it, we wear makeup to make our skin look smoother/clear, hair dye/henna/cassia to make our hair different colors/shinier, and wrinkle cream to smooth out crows feet. Why not use someone else's hair to give us fullness/length? What God/dess does not give us, we can buy! At least that's my opinion on the matter.

Jeni

kwaniesiam
April 4th, 2008, 05:32 PM
Before dreadlocks, my ponytail was barely 1.5" I wore a lot of sock buns and very loose french braids to disguise it.

anna1850
April 4th, 2008, 06:42 PM
I used to use one of those Hairagami bun making devices when my hair was shorter (APL-BSL)
http://www.hairagami.com/pics/HairagamiSingle2.jpg
which makes about a bun as big as my fist.

Now that I don't use it anymore my bun isn't as big but it's a decent size and I think I'd have problems using one those now my hair is longer. I'm looking forward to having a huge bun as my hair gets longer though.

MemSahib
April 4th, 2008, 06:46 PM
Ouch. I bought one of those and the only time I actually got it to work my eyes were dragged back toward my nape, my hair pulled so tight. Hairagami looks cool but there is definitely a learning curve.

anna1850
April 4th, 2008, 06:53 PM
Ouch. I bought one of those and the only time I actually got it to work my eyes were dragged back toward my nape, my hair pulled so tight. Hairagami looks cool but there is definitely a learning curve.

Oh yeah totally, took me about a week of practicing before I could get it to click in the right place but after that I would be able to get it right first time about 50% of the time.

I kind of miss using them in a way, I could do a nice plain bun and stick a pretty barrette above it. I even managed to do a really cool 'S' shaped thing once with 2 of them (which was really hard!). But I do love my Ficcares that I use now.

khyricat
April 4th, 2008, 07:41 PM
I make flat buns- large around, flatter to head.. and looser buns to hide some of the lack of mass of hair.. and sock buns rule.. but otherwise, I've learned ot live with my thin hair.. though henna has definitely pumped to the 2" mark instead of slightly less

velvetcat
April 4th, 2008, 10:19 PM
I've never been able to get the Hairagami to work. My SIL was able to use it on my hair once, but I can't seem to roll it up right.

I also cannot roll my hair with a ribbon or anything else.

I bun my hair loosely which has the effect of making a bigger bun, because otherwise I can't get a hairstick through it.