PDA

View Full Version : Many questions. (Yay!)

RancheroTheBee
April 18th, 2009, 11:13 PM
1) If I have accumulated some damage throughout the shaft of my hair from heat-styling, is S&D good enough to keep splits at bay, or is it a better idea to trim regularly? I ask because I don't seem to get a lot of splits, but I did used to heat-style a lot, and I was wondering if it were a better idea to micro-trim rather than try to snip off each individual split. ETA: If I see an end that looks white on the end, should I trim that, too? Or should I just worry about actual splits?

2) Can you CO with 'cones? For some reason, it strikes me as problematic, but I wanted to know if anyone had experience with this.

3) Can terminal length be genetically determined? I've heard the terminal calculator can be flawed, but my mother had waist-length hair for a long time, and at the time of my grandmother's passing, her hair was classic.

4) What exactly is 'shrinkage'?

5) I've been taking a look around at hair vitamins, but the ones I've found so far have been multivitamins targeted at hair growth, not just regular supplements. Is this the norm, or can you get isolated vitamins? I already take a multivitamin, and I'd rather finish the current bottle before starting on something else.

*gasp gasp* Okay, I'm done. :) TIA!

viking_quest
April 18th, 2009, 11:22 PM
1. I don't trim, S&D, or anything so I can't really help you on that except that you probably should trim white dots because they lead up to splits.

2. Yes, you can CO with cones but you should clarify once a week or something to prevent buildup.

3. Yes it can be genetically determined but I'm not quite sure how big of a determination it makes.

4. Shrinkage usually applies to curlies and wurlies because curls and waves don't look the same twice so you could wash your hair and have it be a certain length because of looseness of wave or curl and the next time you wash your hair it will be shorter because the wave or curl decided to become more tight.

5. I don't take vitamins either but for hair health I don't know which ones you'd want to take. I would imagine some sort of protein or iron supplement would help. If you're looking for faster growth then I recommend biotin or prenatals.

Hope I helped. ^^

lizzyjo
April 18th, 2009, 11:47 PM
I can answer some of these.

1. Both methods get rid of splits, so it's really up to you to decide which is easier. If you don't have too many split ends, then S&Ding may be better because you won't lose much length. If you have many splits, then you may want to get a small trim to save time.

3. Hair length depends on both genetics and the environment, but I don't know what the percentages are. If you have the same hair type as your mother, you may take after her and be able to grow it long.

4. What the previous poster said, plus hair shrinks as it dries.

RancheroTheBee
April 19th, 2009, 12:06 AM
Thank you, you guys. That helped. :)

jera
April 19th, 2009, 12:51 AM
Hi Ranchero. I had a similar problem. Damage from heat styling. I spent most of my first year here trimming off damage because I can't cut my hair. ( I faint at the sight of scissors ) :p You can use cones, but I wouldn't recommend it. It just ends up drier in the long run.But as the others have said, if you do choose cones, clarify to avoid buildup

I don't think terminal length is genetic or predetermined by herdity. Never underestimate the value of good hair care and healthy scalp habits. Combined, they can work miracles. :)

Cinnamon Hair
April 19th, 2009, 01:38 AM
1) If I have accumulated some damage throughout the shaft of my hair from heat-styling, is S&D good enough to keep splits at bay, or is it a better idea to trim regularly? I ask because I don't seem to get a lot of splits, but I did used to heat-style a lot, and I was wondering if it were a better idea to micro-trim rather than try to snip off each individual split. ETA: If I see an end that looks white on the end, should I trim that, too? Or should I just worry about actual splits?
S&D is a good alternative to trimming. The only health reason to trim is the get rid of the visibly damaged hairs so they won't cause tangles or make the split run up the shaft. I hate S&Ding with a passion (and I almost never do it..meaning never, but once every year or so I might get the itch for like 1 day), but if you can handle it then that is the best option for preserving length. There is nothing wrong with trimming or micro-trimming if you don't feel like S&Ding though. Trimming won't get rid of the hairs that are split higher up but it will take care of the ends, which is usually good enough to ease tangle issues. Yes trim the white end too; it is damage also.
Chart of Splits (this was posted at the old LHL board, forgive me for not remembering for certain who made it. ts.english I think.)
http://classiclength1.googlepages.com/split_end_chart.jpg

2) Can you CO with 'cones? For some reason, it strikes me as problematic, but I wanted to know if anyone had experience with this. You can give it a try...the alarm bells won't go off or anything :silly:, I promise. The reason people like to use non cone conditioners is because cones will build up on your scalp and hair and need shampoo to be removed. I shampoo once a week, scalp only, letting the suds run down the length. That said, I have no problem with using a cone conditioner on my length. I use something like VO5 or White Rain on the scalp then put L'Oreal Mega Moisture (avail. at Sally's Beauty Supply) on the length, coil the whole thing up into a shower cap and rinse it all out at the end of my shower while combing under the shower stream to detangle.

3) Can terminal length be genetically determined? I've heard the terminal calculator can be flawed, but my mother had waist-length hair for a long time, and at the time of my grandmother's passing, her hair was classic.Yes, genetics plays a role. It is also determined by good care (protective updos, no heat styling, being gentle with the comb, etc), age, and sometimes the water quality (think bad well water) and humidity conditions in your area play a role.

4) What exactly is 'shrinkage'? Shrinkage is the amount of length you lose as your hair dries and forms its natural curls/waves/etc. If you're a curly or type 4 then it's the amount of length you lose by not having stick straight hair. Ex: say a curly is at bra strap length. If they straightened their hair it would be waist.
You could also have braid shrinkage. Ex: I'm at knee length but my braid is only to upper/mid thigh.

5) I've been taking a look around at hair vitamins, but the ones I've found so far have been multivitamins targeted at hair growth, not just regular supplements. Is this the norm, or can you get isolated vitamins? I already take a multivitamin, and I'd rather finish the current bottle before starting on something else.Have you seen Igor's vitamin article (http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/vbjournal.php?do=article&articleid=74)? There is also Bargello's Vitamin Regimen (http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/showthread.php?t=83) but she takes unusually high amounts of biotin and other vits. which could be dangerous (aka I'm not a pharmacist :) ) I don't take any vitamins at all so that's why I linked you 'cause I don't like swallowing any more pills than I absolutely have to.