PDA

View Full Version : Tried ColorOops for pre-hennaing...(Need help!)

JamieRose
April 18th, 2009, 06:21 PM
As a strand test, I tried the color oops to see if it would life my dark brown hair dye, to give me a more even tone to start with, if you will. (I have dark chemically dyed length, and light brownish blonde roots) And so I mixed some up, put some shed hairs in, and waited 20 minutes... and I got nothin'. No change, at all really. It said in the instructions that several applications MAY be needed, but you can't leave it on more than twenty minutes. My intuition is telling me this is a bad idea....

So. I got my BAQ henna and indigo the other day, and was planning on a 1/4 henna 3/4 indigo mix to get a dark dark color. If I just went ahead and did this, two toned at all, would it really be that noticeable? If anything, couldn't I do another indigo wash over everything? That's what the instructions are for black hair on H4H, a twp step henna then indigo application. Any advice? I wouldn't mind at all if my hair turned my black than brown, either. I love both.

manderly
April 18th, 2009, 06:33 PM
Hmmm, I don't know about how noticeable, but I can give info on the color oops:

Did it get warm? When I did mine, it was REALLY FAST and it got rather warm. I was shocked at how quickly it pulled the old dye out. Maybe you got a bad batch or didn't mix it well?

Here was my hair before oops (with old highlight skunk stripes)
http://i2.photobucket.com/albums/y50/astrauser/CIMG0954.jpg

And after (sorry about the size)
http://i2.photobucket.com/albums/y50/astrauser/814.07afterremovingcoloranddyeing.jpg

You can see it pulled all the brown out :)

JamieRose
April 18th, 2009, 06:40 PM
I don't remember how warm it got, I only mixed a little bit up. But I remember it smelled really nasty, like rotten eggs, which is what I've heard it's supposed to do. Maybe I should try again??? :confused:

manderly
April 18th, 2009, 07:01 PM
Yeah, it smelled pretty bad. I think it only took like 10 minutes to remove the color though. :shrug:

wintersun99
April 18th, 2009, 08:52 PM
Ya, same for me. ColorOops worked very, very fast. I used the extra-strength version and all the color was fully removed under the 20 min (dark brown color). One thing to note: it will not work (supposedly) on direct dyes (like Feria) or gradual color restorers (I think this is like compound henna's) so the box claims. If that is the kind of color in your hair, than that might explain why you haven't seen an effect. However, if all you have is regular, oxidative-type hair color than it should be just fine.

P.s. you don't have any henna or indigo in your hair currently, right? ColorOops doesn't work on henna/indigo.

amaiaisabella
April 18th, 2009, 09:00 PM
I did this and it got really warm and "activated" the ingredient. I accidentally left it on too long (got caught up in laundry!) and when I washed it out, my scalp was almost hot.

Supposedly you can do up to 4 applications, though I'm not sure of what that would do to your hair. You might want to try a second application before you go for the henna.

On another note, I saw you tested shed hairs. At least for me, I find it very hard to determine color change with those (probably because I don't shed too much at one time, and find it hard to gather up a significant number of hairs.) Maybe you could put your hair up and test it in a not-too-visible spot on your hair? I have one strand that is shorter than all the rest, and it hangs down whenever I put my hair up. I usually test on this strand to get an accurate picture of color time and change.

OTOH, if you really want to get super dark, maybe you should keep what you have on your head? I suppose if you want some red, you would need to lift the previous color, but if you're not too concerned with the red, you might just want to dye over.

Sorry for all the conflicting advice, just trying to cover all bases :)

JamieRose
April 18th, 2009, 10:25 PM
No, I don't have any Henna currently on my head. I think i will try it on a strand in the back of my head and see if it works there or not before henna-ing... will report back later. I hope this actually works now.... If it doesn't, should I just go ahead and henna? Patience is not my strong point. (even though I originally said I would wait until summer..:rolleyes:)

JamieRose
April 18th, 2009, 10:34 PM
Also the red is not terribly important to me... is the healthier option to not bother with color oops then?

Sorry I am so needy... :p

HairColoredHair
April 18th, 2009, 11:39 PM
If you are going for a dark brown/black mix I shouldn't think you'd need to bother. There might be a bit of demarcation, but on color that dark, not much.