PDA

View Full Version : Bun Pins and the Hairstyles for them

edensapples
April 18th, 2009, 02:19 PM
I searched for this, but didn't find anything on this forum.

You know, the wooden kind that are like hair sticks but with two "toppers" instead of one top and a pointed end.

Is there a "how to" for bun pins and/or different hairstyles that work for them?

I can't get mine to stay in my hair or figure out how it would look best. I would rather not have to use anything along with it to have it hold if possible.. no other pins, no hair bands, no product, ect.

Can anyone help?

renarok
April 18th, 2009, 06:15 PM
I am not sure of what you are describing. Do you have any pics of the pins that you can post?

Flynn
April 18th, 2009, 06:24 PM
Do you mean it goes like

o==========o

instead of

<==========o

?

They are some hairstick styles that wind around the stick, which is placed first, rather than have it poked through the finished style; maybe that would work?

manderly
April 18th, 2009, 06:30 PM
I believe some are double ended and meant to have a bun wrapped around them (like a chinese bun), while others are double ended but 1 end is removable (usually has a decorative dangly bit) and can be used like a standard stick where you poke it through then re-attach the end.

Furiana
April 18th, 2009, 08:16 PM
I believe some are double ended and meant to have a bun wrapped around them (like a chinese bun), while others are double ended but 1 end is removable (usually has a decorative dangly bit) and can be used like a standard stick where you poke it through then re-attach the end.

Cool! I've seen those before; I liked them. :)

Cinnamon Hair
April 18th, 2009, 11:34 PM
I think Manderly covered it. They are sometimes called chinese bun sticks around here because that's the updo they are made for. They also might be called Kanzashi if it's the more decorative Geisha/Chinese looking type. You can also try it with a braided chinese bun. Or insert it between the braid and your scalp then wrap your hair between the stick and your head, using the stick to hold the hair flat against your head. Eresh does this with all sorts of sticks and forks.

You may be lucky enough to find a dymondwood or regular wood one from one of the ebay makers (Monkthemonk comes to mind but Blondiesturn also made them when she was carving) that has wide but flat pointy ends like this
<O----O>
then you can insert it like a regular stick.