PDA

View Full Version : Blunt cut or hairstyle?

lapushka
April 18th, 2009, 01:51 PM
Do you want your hair to be of one length at the bottom. The kind of hair that has no special haircut and can be maintained at home, be it a blunt cut, v-cut, u-cut. Or, can't you go without a serious haircut, something shaped into your long hair by a hairdresser, some kind of style.

At the moment I have a blunt cut, with bangs that are growing out and a few shortish layers in front. But it's not really a "hairstyle". Once it's between APL and BSL, I might have a style cut into it because I would love to wear it loose more than up. I'll see how it goes.

What's your preference?

enfys
April 18th, 2009, 02:17 PM
Blunt. I don't like taper and I don't like layers. Past waist they'd look odd on my. My hair's not thick enough to need them.

It varies but I can't imagine myself ever gunning for terminal. Just for the tapering and fairytale ends.

Margeaux
April 18th, 2009, 02:24 PM
Layers, but long layers only, because I'm a curly. Right now it's still all at one length - I wanted my hair to get past full APL to get it into a nice U - or V cut including some layers - but I think I'll be hitting the salon soon.

Easy-to-maintain hair has just that pro: it's easy to maintain. But to feel best about myself and my hair I always need to put in some special effort and prettify myself. :p

I may be thinking about getting something like this: http://www4.picturepush.com/photo/a/246067/oimg/Miscellaneous/bynes-blog.jpg

Curlsgirl
April 18th, 2009, 02:27 PM
Mine is exactly at waist. I have eyebrow length bangs and the rest is kind of a slight U-shape at the bottom. I knew I was growing out so I didn't want to bother with layers in updos or braids OR too much thinness as it got longer, well anymore than I would naturally have. Sometimes I wish I had some shape to it but I know I would be sorry if I got them. It makes my hair look frizzier and is much harder to style for my hairtype anyway.

Suldrun
April 18th, 2009, 02:41 PM
Right now my hair is all crazy lengths lol. I am growing from a pixie and I also maintained my bangs for a while before deciding to let it all grow. I have had no trims since.....well....a long time lol at least since above shoulder length( I am now past BSL) only S&D.

My long term goal is terminal, I personally like fairytale ends. Right now I am just curiose to see what my terminal length is and what my hemline becomes naturally...I will decide on a cut when I get there.

Roseate
April 18th, 2009, 02:42 PM
I like the layers I have now; my hair is >APL and without them it is stubbornly triangle shaped. They make it more appealing to me to wear down.

However, last time growing I grew them out past BSL; by that point my hair is naturally longer than it is wide and looks more impressive without them. It also makes updos smoother, which is nice at longer lengths. I just posted some pictures over here (http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/showpost.php?p=553888&postcount=10).

lacereza
April 18th, 2009, 03:16 PM

Calista
April 18th, 2009, 03:48 PM
I dream of fairytale ends, but I still have some damage to get rid of, so I trim, trim, trim. Once the damage is gone I plan on letting it fairytale, but who knows, I might get bored and go for some long layers, but I would cut them myself. Never trust a hairdresser is my motto.

viking_quest
April 18th, 2009, 04:58 PM
I prefer blunt but I wouldn't mind long layers when my hair gets longer.

pdy2kn6
April 18th, 2009, 05:09 PM
personally i prefer a blunt, because after having layers foro so long, they really annoy me now. I think hair looks so great when its simple and just easily cut bluntly across at home

RavennaNight
April 18th, 2009, 06:31 PM
I prefer a blunt cut. My hair acts differently at shorter lengths, and I'd rather not mix. I feel my hair needs the weight of blunt haircut to keep it "down."

Tangles
April 18th, 2009, 06:37 PM
Blunt with a few shorter pieces around my face is just right for me. The bulk of my hair prefers to be blunt, but the parts in front tend to get frizzy if not shaped and trimmed regularly (I self trim these too).

atlantaz3
April 18th, 2009, 08:38 PM
Blunt. I had layers for many years and have to admit I am keep thinking about having them cut back in. But I know I would then be a slave to hot rollers or some other styling tool. I'm trying to get 3-4 more inches before another cut (another year!).

Jessica Trapp
April 18th, 2009, 08:38 PM
Oh, I waffle back and forth. Sometimes I want it blunt and sometimes I love fairy tail ends. My goal for a long time has been to grow to 44 inches and then work on the hemline, but sometimes it starts looking scraggly and I trim a little back.

morguebabe
April 18th, 2009, 09:21 PM
I like my hair blunt with just some fringe and bangs...

sneakybea
April 18th, 2009, 10:22 PM
I like my hair blunt because I can do my own trimming and it behaves better in braids and updos, I think. However, I am also curious about what it would do with layers, if they might bring out the waves more; I just don't want to risk losing the length!

Cinnamon Hair
April 18th, 2009, 11:15 PM
I prefer a one length blunt cut. I keep mine cut straight across because it is easier on my hairdresser (mom) but I like the way a v or u shaped hemline looks too. Bangs, side pieces, or layers of any kind would only take away from my hemline thickness and I have none to spare.

crystal_89
April 19th, 2009, 06:32 AM
I like layers. Sometimes I like blunt hair at longer lengths, but I can never seem to like it long enough to grow all of my layers out. So... layers it is for me!

I find that blunt styles often look better on others than on me.

paper
April 19th, 2009, 06:46 AM
I just got done growing out tons of layers. I'm going to keep my hair one length blunt cut, with bangs.

Shermie Girl
April 19th, 2009, 09:11 AM
My personal preference is for all one length with blunt ends. I like bangs, but thanks to a monster cowlick I can't have them.

P.S. I happen to believe that blunt, all one length hair is a "style". ;) :D

lapushka
April 19th, 2009, 12:50 PM
P.S. I happen to believe that blunt, all one length hair is a "style". ;) :D

That's one way of looking at it. You're right in that it's just another way of wearing your hair. But for me, the difference is that the blunt, V- and U-cut are easy to maintain. No need for a hairdresser at all. It's no particular style in technical terms. You just cut at the bottom and straight across or in a particular shape. What makes the other a "real" (often modern) hairstyle, is that it needs a particular way of cutting the hair, a technique (just like with short(er) hair) and probably a hairdresser to help maintain it (unless you're good at layering).

spidermom
April 19th, 2009, 01:15 PM
I don't know. Right now I'm going for length so I haven't been trimming. Lately I've been asking myself "is length enough?" and coming up with "not really." I go from feeling school-marmish in my buns to unkempt with my hair loose, with only moments of satisfaction in-between. Right at the moment, I crave style.

rags
April 19th, 2009, 01:24 PM
Well, my hair is fine, thin, straight, and fine. Did I mention it's fine? Anything other than blunt cut on me makes it looks thinner, and if the hairdresser does it just right, like rats have been chewing on my hair. I just don't have the volume to cut in layers or anything - I'm a i thickness.

rhubarbarin
April 19th, 2009, 03:30 PM
I want my hair all-one length (would be happy with V, U or blunt hem). Too lazy for anything more exciting, plus I don't have much hair and don't want to spare any on bangs or 'face framing layers'. And I am scared of stylists.

Tabitha
April 19th, 2009, 03:40 PM
I'm at BSL and have a fringe/bangs, hemline is U shaped with long layers. It looks nice when it's loose and the shorter strands (about collar-bone length) frame my face flatteringly. The trouble is some of the layers got cut shorter than I'm used to at a recent haircut and this means I have difficulty making a bun without odd sprouts sticking out of it. I like a bun positioned low on the nape, and to incorporate the shorter layers tidily means placing the bun much higher on the head (near the crown) which I don't think is flattering to my profile.

My hair's reasonably thick (4.25" pony) and with an undisciplined wave so a blunt cut doesn't look very good on me IMO - too much like "triangle-head" especially at shorter lengths, by which I mean less than waist.

Sorry to write an essay! :rolleyes:

Forever_Sophie
April 19th, 2009, 04:47 PM
I love long layers, but am right now considering a blunt cut w/ just some layers down the sides (U shape).

GlennaGirl
April 19th, 2009, 05:13 PM
I agree that blunt is a style! I don't like layering on the bottom of my hair anyway because it makes it look thinner.

But I keep long bangs just to mix it up as far as styling around my face.

Goddessey
April 19th, 2009, 05:39 PM
I prefer a blunt cut with my hair because it looks neat and full plus, it's easy to maintain. I sometimes like layers and bangs on other people but they don't look good on me. Although, I'd love to have nice bangs.

Carolyn
April 19th, 2009, 06:59 PM
For my 1c, ii hair I liked a little upfront angling and very slight layers in the front when it was above mid back. I wore it down a lot then and I wasn't as concerned about buns and braids. If I ever went that short again I think I'd consider some very light layering in the front. I'd never do layers in the back again. Now that it's below waist I want a straight across blunt hemline. I find that's better for a nice looking braid tassel. I don't see the point of a "style" being cut into my hair when it's as long as it is now.

JamieLeigh
April 20th, 2009, 08:41 AM
Technically, the easiest cut to maintain at home is NO cut. ;)

I prefer blunt for myself, but I've seen others completely rock the fairytale ends, and the U- and V-shaped cuts. Aesthetically speaking, I have no preference. And I'll most likely let mine fairytale when the time comes that I'm near terminal. But for now, since I'm not tapering much at all, I still vote for blunt, straight across the bottom myself. I'm not sure how much longer I'll be able to cut it myself though, since it's now at top-of-thigh length....I was always able to use mirrors in my bathroom to do it from TB down. :confused: