PDA

View Full Version : What to do for summer hair???

SwordMaiden
April 18th, 2009, 12:56 PM
I will be working at a camp this summer and am in need of some help… I’m not sure what to do with my hair! Water and showers will be limited, and I will be exsposed to sun and other weather. I shall be wearing lots of sunscreen on my skin, but what should I do with my hair?
My hair is waist length , dark brown/black and has a slight wave to it.
Any style tips to help keep it off my face, but still look nice?
I also want to make sure that my hair doesn’t get dry from sun damage etc.. should I cover it with a scarf?
Thank you for your help.. :blossom:

enfys
April 18th, 2009, 01:22 PM
I'd definately try and cover it with a scarf or hat most of the time you're in the sun. Preferably light coloured. My head gets boiling hot when my dark hair absorbs all the heat it can!

Wearing a scarf a bit like Amy Winehouse can look very good. Just put your hair up on yuor head a tie a scarf over it in a 50's looking way.

Get practicing now to use talc to soak up grease; it's an art on dark hair but really stretches time between washes. Also if you're a frequent washer start now to try and extend the time between washes so you scalp can adjust.

myotislucifugus
April 18th, 2009, 01:27 PM
I've been thinking about starting a similar thread... I work in a restoration greenhouse and will be outside most of the time. I worked in a similar place last year and was dependent on scarves in different styles (there are lots of great websites on pretty and creative was to wear them, try looking at the modesty head covering thread) When my hair was gross, it didn't matter, and it was more comfortable that way. This year I think I'm going to upgrade to a broadbrimmed hat in order to save my facial skin too.

Has anybody tried hair products that have sunscreen in them? Do they work? Sometimes I just hate covering my head all the time and need other options.

For a camp, I definitely recommend scarves and hats, and anything that keeps the hair up and out of the way. Braids are a good option, too.

lizzyjo
April 18th, 2009, 06:20 PM
Yay for summer camp!

I also recommend wearing a cap or bandana. You could put it in french braids and not worry about them for a few days. If you are swimming, horseback riding, or doing a ropes course remember to take necessary precautions.

Don't worry, everyone's hair will look the same.