PDA

View Full Version : What is this I hear about spring shed

Laurel32
April 18th, 2009, 09:39 AM
I have been hearing about spring shed and wonder if this is happening to me....

I'm really scared because I just lost about 5 hairs when I finger brushed through my hair. That kind of loss hasn't happened to my knowledge before. :( I have been scratching my scalp a lot due to a nervous habit.

Is this normal or is my scratching causing the loss?

NebraskaChick84
April 18th, 2009, 10:29 AM
Hmmm...interesting I had never heard of this before. My hair isn't shedding any more than usual, but then it just now started to get warm. I'll have to pay a bit more attention to it I guess!

jera
April 18th, 2009, 01:38 PM
I have been hearing about spring shed and wonder if this is happening to me....

I'm really scared because I just lost about 5 hairs when I finger brushed through my hair. That kind of loss hasn't happened to my knowledge before. :( I have been scratching my scalp a lot due to a nervous habit.

Is this normal or is my scratching causing the loss?

Don't worry. The loss of 5 hairs doesn't constitute a "shed". It's normal to lose 50 to 100 hairs a day. :) A serious shed is much more severe than what you describe.

lapushka
April 18th, 2009, 01:43 PM
"We, and much of the mammalian world, have two main shed seasons. The biggest shed occurs in early autumn and a smaller one in spring"
http://www.keratin.com/aa/aa015.shtml

RancheroTheBee
April 18th, 2009, 01:44 PM
Five hairs probably means that you didn't touch your hair for a few hours and they were caught in there. I would worry if you lost 200+ a day for several weeks.

Laurel32
April 18th, 2009, 01:46 PM
Ok, I feel silly now for overreacting. Thank you all for the help.

pdy2kn6
April 18th, 2009, 05:18 PM
yeah i agree, 5 hairs is no biggie, i get more than that when i mess around with my hair, especially after massaging.

edensapples
April 18th, 2009, 05:28 PM
Wow I only shed two or three hairs per day, five if I wash my hair.

neon-dream
April 18th, 2009, 05:54 PM
I shed a ton, its nothing to worry about :)!
:blossom:

longhairedfairy
April 18th, 2009, 06:09 PM
5 hairs is nothing to worry about:)

JamieLeigh
April 20th, 2009, 10:03 AM
I agree with everyone else! Relax, it's absolutely nothing to worry about! :flower: