PDA

View Full Version : Styles for aerobics

Leneveu
April 18th, 2009, 09:13 AM
I'm wondering how others keep hair out of the way for aerobics and other vigorous sports.

At the moment I just make a simple braid and then tuck it under my T-shirt - not a very nice solution because of course the braid gets all sweaty against my back!

I've also tried a braided bun, but that wouldn't hold.

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated!

pdy2kn6
April 18th, 2009, 09:32 AM
great idea of a thread, i never know how to wear my hair during excercise, the hair stick sounds the least damaging than all else, like braids, ponytails, etc, but it always ends up falling out for me, or if i do it secure it ends up too tight, not good for my roots. ill be keeping an eye on this thread :)

enfys
April 18th, 2009, 12:29 PM
I need a 'do for yoga, because whatever I do seems to dig in during some poses.

It's such a problem for a lot of people!

memphisluvr
April 18th, 2009, 12:43 PM
For my yoga I put my hair in a low pony, braid it, and then put an elastic sports band around to keep down the flyaways. I practice bikram yoga though, so there's not a whole lot of back lying poses.

Curlsgirl
April 18th, 2009, 02:33 PM
I like a plain braid the best. How about folding it under a couple of times and using a small scrunchie or over either one and tying it or clipping it with a strong hold hairtop, either a stick, Ficcare or fork whatever you like. You could then even tie a bandana to keep it out of your face better if you wanted. I even use a sweat band sometimes and pretend like I am Olivia Newton John and still in the 80s. :D

marialena
April 18th, 2009, 03:04 PM
I make a braid and then I use a satin ribbon to tie it around my neck.

effe
April 18th, 2009, 03:11 PM
Now I'm pregnant...so I'm not doing any aerobics exercise. But before I got pregnant I used to do TKB. At that time my hair was BSL, I used to do single braid /double braids with a head band (which will secure the loose hairs/wispies/bangs). But I very much prefer double braids because it will hold nice & secure in place.
If you have long hair I second Curlsgirl opinion to fold the single braid with a hair friendly scrunchie.

Tap Dancer
April 18th, 2009, 03:51 PM
I pull my hair back in a ponytail to keep it off my neck and then I put a headband on (one of those cloth ones) to keep the wispies from sticking to my face.

Rhea
April 19th, 2009, 06:43 AM
My best up do for hatha-yoga is this one : klick (http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/album.php?albumid=2564&pictureid=36737)

Leneveu
April 20th, 2009, 11:12 AM
Thanks Curlsgirl - I'm off to aerobics this evening so I'll give that a go.

Marialena - don't you find your braid gets sweaty? It sounds very elegant, though, tied with a satin ribbon!

Rhea - could you tell me the name of the style you wear for yoga? I couldn't follow the link you posted - I get only "you do not have permission to access this page" (because I haven't yet written 25 posts!)?

marialena
April 20th, 2009, 03:03 PM
Thanks Curlsgirl - I'm off to aerobics this evening so I'll give that a go.

Marialena - don't you find your braid gets sweaty? It sounds very elegant, though, tied with a satin ribbon!

Rhea - could you tell me the name of the style you wear for yoga? I couldn't follow the link you posted - I get only "you do not have permission to access this page" (because I haven't yet written 25 posts!)?

Not at all. I don't tie my braid very tight and I put the braid in the back of my head ( not in the sides).
I put it this way because I don't want my braid to whip me and because every time I make an updo in aerobic classes, in the end becomes a... downdo ( new word made by me!! :cheese:).

(My hair are very fine and slick and need 1000 pins to make them an updo in normal conditions.)

GeoJ
April 20th, 2009, 04:16 PM
I like to do 'Heidi braids' for really vigorous workouts, but I can only get them to stay with bobby pins, hair pins won't hold them if I am active.

Sometimes I will also use an infinity bun at my nape held with hairsticks. If I make it tight enough it will stay in during running. With this I may also add a bandanna to hold fly-aways from my face.

spidermom
April 20th, 2009, 04:21 PM
Single Dutch or French-style braid down the back. Every. Single. Morning. And yup; the braid gets sweaty, so my hair gets rinsed and conditioned every day as well.

lyria
April 20th, 2009, 06:30 PM
single french braid down the back... or sometimes lopsided :cheer:

snowbear
April 20th, 2009, 06:42 PM
My braids tend to try to garrote me, so I do a Gibraltar bun. If I get the balance right, it holds all day.

sneakybea
April 20th, 2009, 09:39 PM
When I go to dance class, I like braids---either a French braid or two English braids. We do floor work exercises to warm up, and if I use hairsticks or wear a bun, it gets really uncomfortable. Even an inverted French braid, which protrudes from my head, can bug me.

1MegMeg
April 21st, 2009, 07:13 AM
I run long distance and I put my hair in a low cinnabun secured with a small scrunchy. It works fantastic! In all of my runs I've only had it slide out one time. A bun is the only thing I can deal with because low braid down my back = gross sweaty hair and high ponytail/braid = hair bouncing all over the place. Very annoying. I like the bun though.