PDA

View Full Version : I'm confused :/

Quixotica
April 18th, 2009, 08:17 AM
When my hair was long-ish, I never ever got compliments. Since I've cut my hair into a pixie, I am STILL getting at least 1-2 compliments a DAY on my hair and how well it 'suits' me (it's been about 1 1/2 years now)

I'm thinking of growing out, but it's frustrating that no one ever noticed my hair when it was long. :(

AmyJorgensen
April 18th, 2009, 08:20 AM
Maybe people are complimenting you because your hair is in "the style" now. Some style things I could take or leave. Just do what you think looks good.

Rohele
April 18th, 2009, 08:39 AM
Maybe people are complimenting you because your hair is in "the style" now. Some style things I could take or leave. Just do what you think looks good.

I agree - I only get regular compliments/comments on the occasions that I have cut my hair in the most current style. Its more of a "wow,you look so stylish" comment, than having anything to do with hair.

Alaytheia
April 18th, 2009, 08:48 AM
Also, when looking to compliment a woman, the hairstyle is always an easy one to pick if its short. Short hair means you have to go in to get it cut somewhat regularly, so it's a good chance that it was done recently. This means I get points for "noticing" your new "do". When it's long, that happens more gradually, and people can't pick that as an easy target, because there's no reason to notice it being different from one day to the next. Therefore, short hair tends to get more compliments than long hair. Short hair does not look bad on everyone, and maybe you're just someone who really does look great in short and long hair.

JamieLeigh
April 20th, 2009, 10:15 AM
Blame it on society! A lot of people secretly admire long hair (and lots not-so-secretly...) but are afraid to say anything encouraging because they've been so conditioned to like only those things that the fashion mags or celebrities tell them to like. They may either be afraid someone will overhear them saying something "weird", or maybe even that they'll say something that sounds stalker-ish and irritate you. And then sometimes people are just shy in the presence of something that isn't the norm. :)

Enjoy your journey, as long as you're happy with your hair that's all that really matters. :flower:

JamieLeigh
April 20th, 2009, 10:16 AM
Also, when looking to compliment a woman, the hairstyle is always an easy one to pick if its short. Short hair means you have to go in to get it cut somewhat regularly, so it's a good chance that it was done recently. This means I get points for "noticing" your new "do".

I also agree with this point. :)

Aditi
April 20th, 2009, 10:20 AM
I would say if you want to grow out your hair just do it, i wouldn't care about someone complimenting or even noticing it. As far as i love them that's all it really matters.

earthdancer
April 20th, 2009, 10:33 AM
15 years ago I had BSL hair and no one ever said anything about it. It was so much trouble at that time of my life that I got disgusted (thinking no one cared) and cut it. However, then people said, "Oh, no, you cut your hair!" Mostly men I knew.

Well, now it's waist-length, and most people still don't say anything, but I learned to read their faces when they look at me. As I grew my hair longer, I noticed that people's faces brightened up more when they looked at me, even total strangers. Sometimes it is such a surprise when I'm thinking really hard about my grocery list or something, I have to shake myself out of my dreamworld to remember to smile back!

Toadstool
April 20th, 2009, 10:52 AM
maybe you just look really good with short hair :)
Nothing wrong with that :)

Nastacia
April 20th, 2009, 11:56 AM
I get a lot of compliments from grown-ups and women, from my friends hen my hair is down and my mother.
My classmates/schoolmates are always quiet, I guess they are jealous, perming and killing their hair.
Too bad, I don't really care. 'cause if i cut it I will be just like thm - and I don't want that. So, don't worry - as soon as they see cut hair they feel like you have been tamed by the media, standards etc
it's about what suits you and what you like, not other people.

feralnature
April 20th, 2009, 12:05 PM
Like Toadstool said, you may simply look good in short hair. I do. I have one of those faces and bone structures that look good with short hair so I would always get compliments when my hair was cut in a short chic style. HOWEVER I love my hair long and the way it makes me feel. Men like my hair long in general and my husband is a man so that works out fine :)

Islandgrrl
April 20th, 2009, 12:15 PM
My guess is that you just look really pretty with your hair the way you have it and people are taking notice. That's a good thing whether you choose to have your hair short or long.

Hair compliments are great, I love them when I get them. But I wouldn't keep my hair a certain way just because of the compliments if it's not what you truly want. It's your hair! grow it if you want to, and then if you decide it's not for you, cut it back to where it rocks for you. Personally, I look terrific with short hair. But I'm not comfortable with short hair and even though it looks awesome, it doesn't make me feel awesome about myself. Long hair does that for me, and it looks okay, too. In all honesty, I look better with short hair. But the fact that I look better isn't enough to make me feel better about it. (did that make sense?)

At the risk of saying something totally treasonous.....it's only hair. It grows back. Do what makes you happy! :)

tiggens
April 20th, 2009, 12:26 PM
I'll admit, a woman with an awesome pixie cut turns my head more than a woman with long hair. :p

That said, I have to agree with islandgrrl. It's your hair and you should do what you want with it. People who are worth your time and love you and think you're beautiful are going to think you're beautiful short haired or long. Also, if the long hair doesn't work out, going back to short is easy-peasy.

jay0
April 22nd, 2009, 01:21 PM
Also, when looking to compliment a woman, the hairstyle is always an easy one to pick if its short. Short hair means you have to go in to get it cut somewhat regularly, so it's a good chance that it was done recently. This means I get points for "noticing" your new "do". When it's long, that happens more gradually, and people can't pick that as an easy target, because there's no reason to notice it being different from one day to the next. Therefore, short hair tends to get more compliments than long hair. Short hair does not look bad on everyone, and maybe you're just someone who really does look great in short and long hair.

Agreed, excellent point.

Roseate
April 22nd, 2009, 03:04 PM
I think people are sometimes more comfortable complimenting short hair than long, because if you're complimenting short hair you're complimenting the cut, but if you're complimenting long hair you're complimenting the hair.

It's like the difference between complimenting someone's lipstick color, versus complimenting the shape of someone's lips.

Carolyn
April 22nd, 2009, 03:10 PM
15 years ago I had BSL hair and no one ever said anything about it. It was so much trouble at that time of my life that I got disgusted (thinking no one cared) and cut it. However, then people said, "Oh, no, you cut your hair!" Mostly men I knew.

Well, now it's waist-length, and most people still don't say anything, but I learned to read their faces when they look at me. As I grew my hair longer, I noticed that people's faces brightened up more when they looked at me, even total strangers. Sometimes it is such a surprise when I'm thinking really hard about my grocery list or something, I have to shake myself out of my dreamworld to remember to smile back!I'm one of those people. Seeing long hair just makes me smile. I sometimes wonder if people wonder what I am grinning at.

I tend not to compliment people on short hair. I've had compliments come out in a negative way, when I didn't mean for that to happen. So now I say nothing. I feel more sincere and comfortable giving long hair compliments so I think they come out better.

BittSweetCherry
April 23rd, 2009, 02:06 AM
Not to forget that very few people carry off a pixie well. It means you can what most people can't!

LadyEliza
April 23rd, 2009, 02:12 AM
When it is long it is useful to have a friend with you when you go out. I didn't get many compliments when my hair was classic length - but Zoe would tell me how many heads turned to look at it!