PDA

View Full Version : Coconut Oil??

HeatherMae
March 8th, 2008, 09:32 PM
I am sorry, I can't remember so I need to ask again. Which type is it that is best to use on the hair? Was it refined? And what is the best way to use it on your hair?

Thanks again. :)

Stagecoach
March 8th, 2008, 10:11 PM
I believe the best type is the 'cold pressed, unrefined' Coconut Oil.

And check this thread http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/showthread.php?t=28 for it's different uses!

eadwine
March 9th, 2008, 04:47 AM
I use KTC, I don't think it meets the requirements, but my hair likes it nonetheless. :) I don't think it listens that closely what kind it is.

Nat242
March 9th, 2008, 04:56 AM
I use Parachute, I don't know if it's unrefined or not, but it smells lovely and coco-nutty. If you have a choice, than perhaps cold-pressed, unrefined etc. is best, but I think you can get good results from other types - it's worth a shot anyway.

Patrycja
March 9th, 2008, 11:34 AM
I use Spectrum Organic Expeller Pressed Refined Coconut Oil.It is a huge jar and has lasted me a very long time.It's the only one I have ever used so I can't really compare it to anything else.I just know my hair adores it.Check out the hair butter recipe by Kimberlily.It combines jojoba and coconut oils to create a butter.

ChloeDharma
March 10th, 2008, 09:52 AM
I personally found that unrefined had a much better effect on my hair than refined. Some people don't really notice a difference though. The unrefined virgin stuff is alot more expensive, but if you are only using it on your hair it lasts ages.

nesser33
May 19th, 2012, 02:59 AM
I've found that organic virgin coconut oil works best for on hair. Refined coconut oil was really thick and was much harder to get out of my hair than the unrefined coconut oil. Plus, unrefined coconut oil has a nice coconut scent, whereas refined coconut oil smells waxy. The organic virgin (unrefined) coconut oil is more expensive, but I think that it works so much better, and is worth the extra money.

Natalia
May 19th, 2012, 09:40 PM
i have a related coconut oil question i have used two brands of evco cold pressed organic. the first one spectrum brand was a great for deep oiling and so so as a leave in. the second was tj's which my hair didnt like as much so i ended up using it mostly as body oil. and just recently i tried monoi as a light oiling and my hair LOVES it! it has a nice light feel and gives me slip so what is different about it? its solid at room temp like the others the only added ingredients are vit e and parfum i dont know why my hair likes it better. anyone know if its dumb luck or is the oil actually different?

ChloeDharma
May 19th, 2012, 10:37 PM
i have a related coconut oil question i have used two brands of evco cold pressed organic. the first one spectrum brand was a great for deep oiling and so so as a leave in. the second was tj's which my hair didnt like as much so i ended up using it mostly as body oil. and just recently i tried monoi as a light oiling and my hair LOVES it! it has a nice light feel and gives me slip so what is different about it? its solid at room temp like the others the only added ingredients are vit e and parfum i dont know why my hair likes it better. anyone know if its dumb luck or is the oil actually different?

Presuming it is genuine Tahitian Monoi Oil with the "appelation d'origin" stamp then from what i have read the coconuts are grown locally and the soil there is thought (traditionally) to produce a superior coconut. The gardenia infused into the oil would then add certain benefits in the same way that adding essential oils to a carrier oil can. It is essentially the same thing only a much older way of doing it.

Natalia
May 19th, 2012, 10:43 PM
Presuming it is genuine Tahitian Monoi Oil with the "appelation d'origin" stamp then from what i have read the coconuts are grown locally and the soil there is thought (traditionally) to produce a superior coconut. The gardenia infused into the oil would then add certain benefits in the same way that adding essential oils to a carrier oil can. It is essentially the same thing only a much older way of doing it.

thanks cloedharma i will check for that stamp

ChloeDharma
May 19th, 2012, 11:15 PM
thanks cloedharma i will check for that stamp

You're welcome, here's a link giving an explanation and so you can see what it looks like
Appellation d'origine (http://www.monoi-institute.org/appellation_of_origin.php)

Natalia
May 24th, 2012, 05:43 PM

took me a while to find it since the store put their price label over the tiny thing but its there! its pricier than i would normally spend for the amount but as long as i can refrain from using it as a body oil on a regular basis it will last a long time. really appreciate you demystifying it for me :)