PDA

View Full Version : Can oil penetrate silicones?

whiteisle
April 17th, 2009, 08:39 PM
I was just wondering if someone who uses coney products can also use oils with any benefit. Does the oil penetrate past the silicones to get to the hair shaft?

I ask because I just recently used a coney condish for a few days and thought about oiling my hair tonight but didn't know if it would do any good with the cones on there. :confused:

Curlsgirl
April 17th, 2009, 09:26 PM
I think it would depend on what KIND of cone it is and how you use it. A water-soluable one that you rinsed out would be for instance easier to penetrate after. But if you left the same cone in instead of rinsing it would be different. For a non-water soluable cone, I doubt an oil would get through unless you just used very little until you shampooed. Of course I am not an expert :D

In personal experience I haven't found very much benefit of using oil over cones. I don't even bother anymore to use oil on top when I do use cones but that's very rare anyway.

nicolezoie
April 17th, 2009, 09:30 PM
In my case, no. This was several years ago when I was in my experimental phase; I think I tried putting jojoba OVER Rusk conditioner, and I ended up with squeaky crunchy oily hair. Not pleasant. Had to immediately shampoo it all out AGAIN.

But yeah, might have something to do with the type of cones.

spidermom
April 17th, 2009, 10:08 PM
I use coconut oil and a coney hair-styling creme. My ends still feel soft and silky like they never felt with coney products alone, so I think the two are working together.

Nat242
April 17th, 2009, 10:11 PM
I found that deep treatments and light oiling were both useless when using coney products - though the type of cone could probably affect that.

chickpea
April 18th, 2009, 11:07 AM
I think it depends on the type of oil and -cones. I use conditioners with amodimethicone or dimethicone copolyol sometimes, and follow this with a few drops of camellia & argan oils on the length. I don't know if the oils penetrate the hair shaft but it feels softer.

Carolyn
April 18th, 2009, 12:18 PM
I'm a believer in try it and see what happens. You'll never know until you try. What's the worst that can happen? You've wasted a little coconut oil and if you don't like the results you just wash and condition again.