PDA

View Full Version : To those who wash daily or every other day

Pages : [1] 2

Lamb
April 4th, 2008, 11:21 AM
There seems to be some truth in the statement that frequent washing is not good for hair health. That said, some of us can't go long between washes. I personally like to wash my hair every day, for cleanliness and moisturizing as well. I probably should feel guilty about it, but I don't. I guess even when my hair is long enough to do scalp-washes only, I will do those daily.
So, those who wash daily/every other day: what are your reasons for not stretching time between washes?

Ohio Sky
April 4th, 2008, 11:27 AM
I sometimes go 3 or 4 days between washes, but a lot of times I have to wash every other day. Its not because my scalp is oily or anything, my hair just seems to be happier that way. After 2 or 3 days, my hair is just flat, tangly, lifeless and looks like crap, even if I oil it and use leave-ins.
Once I get hair my used to poo bars (if that ever happens) I may be able to figure out a better routine or maybe CO in between poo bars, but for right now my routine seems to be like this: Wash with poo bar. Hate hair for a day or two and wear updos until I give up and use GR S&C. Love hair for 2 or 3 days until I decide its time to experiment with a poo bar again.
My hair loves the GR S&C, but even when Im just using that I have to wash evert 2-3 days or my hair just doesnt look good.

AJoifulNoise
April 4th, 2008, 11:35 AM
I wash nearly every day (CO 5 days a week, shampoo 1, no wash 1). I can't stretch it. I really, really want to. But, due to scalp and oil issues... I can't seem to do it.

I tried to wash every other day for over a month... And the oil drove me bananas. I tried to stretch to every 3 days and my scalp revolted. It itched so bad that I scratched it bloody in my sleep... There are still stains on my pillow case...

Blueglass
April 4th, 2008, 11:49 AM
Really hard to skip a day. Just so oily, especially if I brush.

Kittee
April 4th, 2008, 11:55 AM
I usually wash ever 3 days now, I used to do it every other day. I love having soft, fresh smelling hair though and so does my hubby! So I voted the Cleanliness option!

EmeraldIona
April 4th, 2008, 11:57 AM
iIwash my hair daily because I have a very oily scalp. I have tried leaving everything over the years (stretching washes, CO wash, water only, less shampoo, a dusting of oil absorbing powder, cold water rinse, vinegar etc) yet nothing ever works for me. I can actually feel the oil on my scalp by dinner time. Its always been like this for me and Im in perfect health. It seems my scalp just will not co-operate. If only I could have some of those natural oils for the rest of my body.....nature can be a bit unfair sometimes, LOL :)

Caldonia Sun
April 4th, 2008, 11:59 AM
Every other day, due to scalp issues, seems to be about right for me.

Carolyn
April 4th, 2008, 12:17 PM
I didn't vote but I'll say I like having freshly washed hair. I used to wash every day so going to every other day is cutting the number of washes in half. Once in a while I'll go a third day if I'm not going anywhere.

CrowningGlory
April 4th, 2008, 12:43 PM
I wash every second day. CWC once a week and scalp washes in between. Sometimes if I think the ends need conditioning mid-week, I'll smear a small amount of conditioner mixed with aloe vera gel onto the end of my braid and then rinse it out after 5-10 minutes. This keeps my ends happy and washing every second day keeps my scalp happy.

Several months ago I had a cyst removed from my head and wasn't allowed to wash until the stitches came out. I thought it would be a good opportunity to stretch washings out, but it didn't work. The oil and accompanying lankness drove me crazy!

I admire those that only wash once a week but I think everyone has to find what suits them.

Kirin
April 4th, 2008, 01:30 PM
I wash every day. My hair isn't dried out, falling out, having fits, breakage, frizz, tangles (keep going) because of it. Its just fine and happy dandy.

My hair got messed up trying alternatives to washing, but not from washing, go figure!

peachy.pudding
April 4th, 2008, 01:44 PM
I shampoo every second day because i love the clean fresh feeling. I am very lean cut and sharp. I could never leave the house with uncombed greasy hair, thats just not me. I always look sophisticated and clean

jesamyn
April 4th, 2008, 02:44 PM
I wash daily or every other day just because my hair and scalp seem to like it. My scalp doesn't seem to get extremely oily or anything, just 'weird'. I mainly do a scalp wash, then smooth the suds through the remainder of it.

I tried CO-washing only (attempting CG routine), and my hair was just SO limp. It didn't seem to matter what kind of CO I used either. It's just happier with a little bit of a wash frequently.

ChloeDharma
April 4th, 2008, 03:46 PM
I couldn't really find an option for me....but, i'd like to wash daily because of this experiment i'm meant to be doing but i'm used to washing weekly or longer. The thing is i just can't be bothered to do it so the closest i get is every other day.

Riot Crrl
April 4th, 2008, 03:57 PM
I get it wet just about every day and condition it. I only CO wash, but I only do that and scrub like that every 2-3 days. Any longer and I start to get scalp grossness.

My hair seems to demand water because it is dry/curly

Yep! It never gets tired of water and more conditioner.

zift
April 4th, 2008, 04:05 PM
I don't always wash everyday or every other day but simply because I cannot tolerate wet hair. Sometimes I just want to have happy and moisturized hair and I wash and CO everyday and I'm having one of those days now. My hair loves to get washed and conditioned because it's very dry and wurly:D

wishfulthinking
April 4th, 2008, 05:24 PM
I like the feeling of freshly cleaned hair. I wet my hair daily then condition it. I try to shampoo only as needed (when hair has build up or is oily). Right now, I am shampooing every 3 days but I am trying to go to every 7 days.

Nat242
April 4th, 2008, 05:36 PM
Since puberty I was an everyday washer - unless I wasn't going anywhere, then I might skip a day. Since joining LHC I've stretched my washes out to every second day, though I sometimes need to wash my bangs in between.

Sometimes, I may: 1st day CWC; 2nd day bang wash only or nothing; 3rd day scalp wash; 4th day CWC. It depends on time allowances on wash days.

Usually I wash at night, because I have quite thick hair and it takes ages to dry.

I have an oily scalp, and dry ends.

I don't feel guilty about it. I'm slightly envious of people who don't need to wash their hair as frequently as I do, but there is no point having long hair unless I think it looks nice, and what works for me works for me. Also, when I had a pixie I had to wash and style *that* everyday, so I'm getting a bit of a break now :D

-- Natalie

EbonyCurls
April 4th, 2008, 05:41 PM
I wash every other day, sometimes every 4th morning because my hair gets dry (causing tangles, splits, then damage) if I go too long w/out washing/soaking it.

Flying Betty
April 4th, 2008, 06:38 PM
My hair gets greasy if I don't wash it frequently. I can just about manage two days (don't look at my head in the evening) but if I wait a third day I don't feel like I want to be seen in public. My hair is very fine and goes greasy and lank and dark if it's not clean. I'm also not in a situation, career wise, where I want to be seen with dirty hair all the time. It's just better all around if I wash every day or two.

yogachic
April 4th, 2008, 07:19 PM
I can go 3-4 days max without a wash, then the smell of my scalp and the itchiness of my scalp drive me crazy. Then I have to wash.

CurlyOne
April 4th, 2008, 08:08 PM
My hair gets really tangly and gunky if I don't. I don't care what every one else says, my hair likes it.

JKRBeloved
April 4th, 2008, 08:14 PM
I like the softer look it has when freshly washed. Lately I've been just using conditioner and just a bit of leave-ins.

cutenappygrl
April 4th, 2008, 10:45 PM
lately i've been having dandruff and a thick chalky buildup on my scalp - So even if i'm not shampooing I am under the shower scrubbing my scalp w/ my nails.

tameriska
April 5th, 2008, 02:42 AM
I basicaly wash each time I have a shower, usually daily. Mostly because I dislike wearing a shower cap, and because I feel it is easier for me.
I usually shower late at night, right before I go to bed, and sleep with a towel wrapped around my hair. This works well for me, because i find updo's hold better if my hair is still damp (and cause I am lazy and cant be bothered getting up ages before work, just to get my hair dry)

catapia
April 5th, 2008, 08:58 AM
I have oily/thin hair.

I have tried everything....CO, WO, stretching out washes etc...... and my hair is happiest when I CWC it daily. I only skip days during the weekend when I am not going anywhere.

lavenderblue
April 5th, 2008, 09:25 AM
I wash my hair every other day or two days and rinse it every day. I like my hair to be fresh but the mail reason is my pollen allergy. In the spring and summer I just have to rinse the pollen out of my hair before going to sleep or else I won't get any sleep sneezing whole night. I winter I was my hair every other two or three days

physicschick
April 5th, 2008, 09:25 AM
I'm washing every 3 days now, but when I was washing every 2 days, it was because of scalp issues. My scalp became horriby itchy if I didn't wash it often enough. (Then it become gunky and start to flake.) Due to increasing age, I'm now producing less oil than I was a couple years ago, so I am finally able to go longer between washes.

cupcakeblonde
April 5th, 2008, 06:26 PM
every day out of habit, trying to cut back to every second.

Choccielocks
April 6th, 2008, 04:47 AM
Usually wash every day, sometimes every other day. I love wearing my hair down and really hate the way my hair looks when it hasn't been washed. After sleeping on it, no matter what I do with it it, it is flat, lank and greasy and all over the place. If I do go without washing for a second day I usually wear it up and pin my fringe back. I've tried cornstarch and just washing my fringe but still not as good as just washing it! I do CWC though so hopefully that combats some of the drying effects on my length.

Suldrun
April 6th, 2008, 01:12 PM
I have been washing my hair every other day because I use MN every other night. If i am not leaving the house and no one is going to be seeing me I may go a day longer and sometimes I put on a hat to go longer.

EvilPigeon
April 6th, 2008, 05:03 PM
I wash every day,or every other day. But I am sure to condition the length of my hair with a cone free conditioner before-hand. I try to wash only my scalp,but when rinsing the shampoo it slides down the rest of my hair...I need to wash every day because of scalp issues. :(

Haith
April 6th, 2008, 05:24 PM
I wash every other day because my hair feels really dirty on the third day. I'm really trying to stretch the time between washes. I used to have to wash my hair every day, and eventually I'd like to go to only 1-2 times a week.

Anje
April 6th, 2008, 05:27 PM
I vary my washing with my schedule a lot, but I find my hair starts to feel dry if it isn't wet down fairly regularly. Wet down and conditioned is better.

Sillage
April 7th, 2008, 01:38 AM
If I don't wash daily my scalp goes crazy. But I also have to admit that I like washing my hair everyday because it makes me feel clean. With all the sweating that I do from my daily exercise I feel gross if I don't. And then there is the smell issue! If my hair picks up the smell of smoke, or food, or whatever, I have to wash it. I just can't stand having hair that doesn't smell good.

DaSwiss
April 7th, 2008, 02:45 AM
My option is not on there.

I wash daily, because I have become addicted to it and havent been able to break myself out of the habit. I keep trying though. Right now my head feels greasy and itchy when i dont wash, which i know is just something that would happen when i break the habit . But so far I havent been able to.

talullah
April 7th, 2008, 09:19 AM
I checked two options because I couldn't put one above the other: I just like to have very clean hair, and I have scalp issues that require more frequent washing.

I can't get used to dirty hair. If I've gone 4-5 days without washing, it just disgusts me when I put my hands into it to fix my updo or when it's down and touching my skin. The oil comes off onto my fingers and I have to wash my hands immediately. I have blonde hair, so it's very noticeable if there's even a small amount of oil on the roots. I just don't feel good about myself with hair that's super greasy and dirty. As far as the scalp issues are concerned: I get scalp acne if my scalp isn't washed every 2 days or so. My scalp gets unbearably itchy, as well. For me, a clean scalp is a healthy scalp.

Frenchie
April 7th, 2008, 01:49 PM
My hair is very oily and looks pretty bad if I go more than a day between washings. Also, I am trying to wear my hair down more often, so I play with it more.

MadHatter
April 7th, 2008, 06:28 PM
My scalp gets reaaallly oily reaaallly quickly, and I hate how it looks when it gets like that. Makes me look vagrant.

Medievalhair
April 7th, 2008, 06:58 PM
I wash my hair everyday. But I want to start washing it every 2 to 3 days instead.

psvzum
April 7th, 2008, 09:08 PM
There seems to be some truth in the statement that frequent washing is not good for hair health. That said, some of us can't go long between washes. I personally like to wash my hair every day, for cleanliness and moisturizing as well. I probably should feel guilty about it, but I don't. I guess even when my hair is long enough to do scalp-washes only, I will do those daily.
So, those who wash daily/every other day: what are your reasons for not stretching time between washes?
I have wavy/curly dry hair and it looks best after being washed. I alternate WO/CO and it works for me ; )

Loviatar
April 8th, 2008, 10:20 AM
I voted cheese. My hair isnt, apparently, particularly oily, but it looks it very quickly. I am trying to stretch out my washes more often, and to adjust to not using harsh sulphates.

So even though I dont have very oily hair, I feel like I do.

Oh and also, I could quite happily wash every day. I just love how my hair feels minutes after it's air dried. :)

Aljona
April 8th, 2008, 01:42 PM
I have to wash my hair daily, otherwise it's flat, greasy, stringy and frizzy. When it's clean it's a lot shinier. If I'm using a harsher shampoo I can wash everyother day, but I've found it is better for my hair to wash it daily with a mild shampoo.

When I was younger and my hair was even oilier I tried to wash my hair less often but it didn't even get used to it after one year. I'm thinking of trying again when my hair gets longer. Maybe if I could put my hair up it would be easier to stand the greasiness.

artemisjade
April 8th, 2008, 02:42 PM
So, so oily. I wash my hair in the morning and wear it up all day. The length will still be wet when I go to bed, but my scalp will already be somewhat greasy. It makes me cry a little bit.

soleluna
April 8th, 2008, 02:47 PM
I wash every other day because of oily scalp. I hate hair that looks dirty.

Elizabeth
April 8th, 2008, 09:59 PM
I generally CO it 3-6 times a week and shampoo it the rest of the time with a gentle shampoo. I’ve tried to go longer between washes but my scalp gets oily and itchy and my hair just hangs. It looks MUCH better when it’s washed every day.

Elfling
April 8th, 2008, 10:05 PM
I have fine, on the thinner side of things hair; two days is the max I can stretch it. I think that having straight hair is another factor in needing to wash more often.

TessieAnn
April 8th, 2008, 10:22 PM
Oil slick, here. Everyday washer.

One of the advantages of thin, fine hair and living in a dry place is that it only takes about half an hour to dry--less in the summertime.

Skipping a day does not change the amount of hair shedding in the shower. I'm very gentle, using finger tips only. I blot hair dry and use a wide-tooth comb. My virgin-growth hair, which is now a bit longer than chin-length, has no splits--so this routine seems to be working just fine.

I'm thinking that stretching days between washes may be more possible for those who have thicker sebum.

2littlebirds
April 11th, 2008, 05:24 PM
I wash mine every other day. I just like it because it feels cleaner to me.

beatricedivina
April 12th, 2008, 03:42 PM
I wash too often - I'm trying to remember to CO most of the week. I shower every morning, because postpartum hormones have me sweating at night like you wouldn't believe.
Having just changed my hair color, the damage is less noticeable if I CO than if I wash, even if I CWC. I have sort-of wurly hair that's really quite dry (due to the damage from coloring). If I were a more dedicated person, I'd let it go back to it's grey-streaked mouse brown, but I hate my natural hair color. I'm still tinkering around with my routine to find what works best for my hair.

jojo
April 12th, 2008, 05:57 PM
i wash twice a week but i have started wetting daily as I think my hair looks better when i do

Magdalene
April 12th, 2008, 06:09 PM
I didn't vote because there wasn't an option for me: while I don't have particularly oily hair, I exercise daily and it gets really sweaty. Being blonde means it looks dirty and oily very easily.

fleurdelis
April 13th, 2008, 09:00 AM
Well..I am just now strarting to like my hair and when daily washing makes them feel pretty, why not? I do have oily hair, but not extremely, if I need to I can wash every second day...but why? Why to deny my self the feeling of freshly washed, silky hair?? + the possibilities every evening on with what to wash...

meichigo
April 14th, 2008, 01:42 AM
My hair needs the daily conditioner more than the washing, but it seems to do better if I wash AND condition rather than just conditioning. (Of course, I use a shampoo so rich that it gives me more moisture than most normal conditioners...) Then once it dries it's all soft and shiny and sleek and smells good and really, who doesn't want that?

tennies
April 17th, 2008, 08:56 AM
My hair looks much better when I wash it every day. However, I am new with cv shampoo bars, and my hair seems to stay cleaner (really just less greasy) longer. I am still experimenting.

j4zzin
April 17th, 2008, 07:08 PM
I'm a bit of a clean freak, and it drives me nuts every time I've tried stretching my washings to every other day. My roots get dull and stick together in chunks and feel greasy to the touch. I've just never been able to stick with it long enough to see if my scalp will actually adjust to less frequent washings.

My hair seems fine with daily washing. I use just a tiny bit of 'moisturizing' shampoo on the roots only followed by a generous saturation of -cone conditioner over everything. Bun it up for the morning bus commute, take it down to dry in class, and clip/scrunchie/braid/whatever it for the rest of the day. :D

nomadhome
April 23rd, 2008, 10:04 AM
Every other day and it's oily on the days off- I cover the greasy roots with a wide fabric headband. Less frequent washing for me leads to an oily helmet, dry, puffy ends and an itchy scalp. Ick!

1MegMeg
April 23rd, 2008, 02:06 PM
I wash every other day because my scalp (and therefore hair) get too oily otherwise. I was in an accident on a Saturday back in February; I had washed on Thursday and Saturday was my next day to wash, but I had the accident prior to washing. :p I was in the trauma center for most of Saturday and then inpatient in the hospital until Tuesday evening. So I got to "try out" going 5 days between washings. It was not a pretty site. My hair was so greasy and gross and matted to my head. I wish I could stretch my washes out more, but it just doesn't work for me.

florenonite
April 23rd, 2008, 05:12 PM
I was every 2-3 days (though I'm trying to stretch itout) as my scalp is greasy and gets itchy if I don't wash it for too long.

flapjack
April 25th, 2008, 12:18 AM
My hair isn't thin, but it's very straight and any oiliness shows up so fast. And my scalp produces a lot of oil. There are upsides and downsides to everything, that's how I look at it. Upside- I have yet to ever find a split end on my head. And my hair is incredibly soft. Downside- I have to wash it every day or every other day or it starts to look dirty. At least with water. I could go without shampoo itself for a few days, but it has to be rinsed well at the roots.

Niphredil
April 25th, 2008, 08:45 AM
I wash daily or every other day for 2 reasons:
Currently I'm using cones and they need to be removed regularly (with shampoo) to prevend the drying effect of the cones (I use cones because of the smoothing and protecting effects).
But even if I'm not using cones, I like to wash my hair several times a week because it will get dry, tangly and staticy if I wait too long.

I can stretch to 1-2 times a week but my scalp needs to ajust and will be oily for a while if I do stretch washing.

amberdakota
April 28th, 2008, 04:57 PM
I wash every 2 days because my scalp feels yucky and itchy if I don't. I don't have dandruff or anything, but my scalp does get a TAD itchy...

kwaniesiam
May 1st, 2008, 10:08 PM
Too thin, if I get greasy the hair sticks together and you can see my scalp all over the place.

noelgirl
May 2nd, 2008, 12:01 AM
My scalp gets itchy and sometimes smells a bit if I go too long without washing - I usually go 2-3 days between washings.

Phalaenopsis
May 2nd, 2008, 02:02 AM
I really like the smell of freshly washed hair and my hair gets really greasy, so I can't wait too long to wash it.

epiphanee
May 2nd, 2008, 02:00 PM
It's not good for the hair shaft to be washed often. I am working in a dusty, dirty environment right now so having to wash more frequently than I'd like. Finding it surprisingly pleasant to have a super-clean scalp! Can see how people can get quite addicted to the feeling.

zelah
May 3rd, 2008, 01:40 AM
I try to go as long as I can without washing, but my hair seems to get oily pretty quickly. With the sulfate & cone poo I have now, I can go 3 days tops or 4 if I plan on wearing a cap or not going out. I also have a sulfate-free/cone-free poo, but I'm lucky to go 2 days without washing when I use that. Often by the next day my hair starts looking oily anyway and I just do my best to keep it up in a style that it isn't too noticeable.

I'd love to go longer without a wash though!

lynlora
May 3rd, 2008, 11:13 AM
I work in new construction so it is sorta necessary. The S&C I use ( Herbal Essences Long Term Relationship) does not seem to cause any harm with daily use.

jtl45
May 4th, 2008, 02:55 PM
I have been a daily shampooer since I can remember. I just like the way my hair looks and smells when it is clean! I do deep condition weekly and dryness has never been a issue for me! I guess I have been lucky in that respect!
Jim

saman
May 4th, 2008, 03:04 PM
I have oily scalp and i should wash it twice a week

snowbird
May 4th, 2008, 03:27 PM
Hi Lamb!

I wash most days, a combination of having rather fine hair and living in a major city that is quite dirty. I find that if my hair ever feels dry, it is actually just dirty (yuck).

Though, when I go home or to cities with better air than where I currently live, I wash every few days instead.

MermaidGirl
May 4th, 2008, 10:22 PM
My hair is fine and my scalp tends to be oily. Its blonde and therefore it shows the oil when its dirty. I force myself to wash every other day, but there are times during the work week that I wash every 2 days (as an ex., Mon. Thurs.), and my hair is up in a headband on days 1 and 2 following wash day!

This past week I washed on Mon. and Thurs. and because I'm still recovering from the flu and didn't leave the house this weekend, I did not wash my hair at all, so its been 3 full days between washings and is quite oily. I would need a wide fabric headband to cover it, or better yet, a hat!

Oh, and uhm, I selected the cheese option as well, so who do I see about collecting my slice? :)

vindo
May 5th, 2008, 01:42 PM

I used to wash daily until end of last year, I then stretched it to every other day and now mostly do every 3days but sometimes still every 2days..
My hair never seemed to take damage from daily washes..if anything detangling is easier the first wash day.
However I decided to stretch because of:
-laziness (early get up)
-hope to avoid mechanical damage
-want to leave my oil in longer (my hair 'drinks' oil :lol:)
-I didnt feel happy about my scalp producing so much oil :(
-I hate being the only one that washes her hair daily on medieval fairs (in the public bathroom sink since there mostly was no showers etc.)...well that does not really apply any more..im not in germany :shrug: but still..I "could" go a weekend without washing ^^.

Lamb
May 5th, 2008, 02:54 PM
Hi Lamb!

I wash most days, a combination of having rather fine hair and living in a major city that is quite dirty. I find that if my hair ever feels dry, it is actually just dirty (yuck).

Though, when I go home or to cities with better air than where I currently live, I wash every few days instead.

I hear you. A single ride on the Toronto subway makes me smell like yesterday's porridge in the dustbin. :?

Katrina
May 22nd, 2008, 05:04 PM
I have scalp issues (seborrhea, eczema; a.k.a. frustratingly oily scalp - my face has the same problem) :/. If I don't wash daily or every other day, my scalp starts to itch heavily, it gets inflamed and it also gets a lot of oily dandruff. I have a medication (a salve) because of it which I use occasionally.

My doctor said that it would be so much easier with short hair. Thanks, but no thanks ;).

BlackfootHair
May 22nd, 2008, 05:31 PM
I just love washing and conditioning my hair! I love the smell of the products, the way it feels in my hair, it makes me feel pampered. I also love smelling my clean hair afterwards. When I use oil in my hair I definitly wash the next day.

Pikkukala
June 2nd, 2008, 02:30 PM
I rinse my hair every day as it otherwise tends to be hard to manage. I find it much easier to put it into some kind of style when it is damp - once it is tied back it can frizz and fluff out all it likes.

Although, it can feel a little bit dried out at times though from all the washing.

Forever_Sophie
June 2nd, 2008, 02:51 PM
"Cleanliness is next to godliness!" - I like having freshly washed hair

My hair is drier, sometimes I can stretch it to the 3rd day, but usually it's every other. I love clean hair and the scents of my products!

Juniper
June 3rd, 2008, 01:34 PM
My hair is fine and my scalp tends to be oily. Its blonde and therefore it shows the oil when its dirty.

Yup, although my hair is light brown, not blonde. I come by the super-greasy scalp honestly--my dad has it, too. Occasionally, I can rough it and go one day without washing, but it usually gets piecey and greasy-looking within 24 hours of washing.

I use equal parts shampoo and conditioner, mixed together. I sorta-kinda scalp wash. I only put the shampoo/conditioner on my scalp, but I'm sure it rinses through all of my hair. I tried only getting my scalp wet, but I shower/bathe at night, and just letting all of my hair get wet is much more relaxing.

It's odd that my scalp is so greasy, because the rest of my skin is normal-to-dry, and I scarcely ever use cleanser on it (except for my hands, of course). Just lots of hot water and a clean wash cloth.

rhubarbarin
June 4th, 2008, 07:42 AM
My hair is just better with water added. I usually do a CO scalp wash, followed by a ACV rinse, every 2-3 days - but I have to do a water rinse or wash every day if I want it to look nice. Since I use coconut oil as a leave-in, my hair gets weighed down without a refresher.

My hair seems pretty happy, and I have a lot of new growth lately.

ETA: I also work in a restaurant, and cook at home in my poorly ventilated apartment (lots of onions and garlic, yum!) so my hair gets stinky easily.. not to mention actually dirty from all the grease, smoke and flour in the air at work. Another reason to wash often.

Mitzy
June 4th, 2008, 08:39 AM
Ummmmm, where is my cheese?

Mitzy
June 4th, 2008, 08:42 AM
Oh, alright. I did vote just for the cheese, but....
It depends, in the summertime or if I am able to exercise (depends on my bursitis and sciatica) or if I am having lots of hot flashes (Lord, I am so old) I might wash every day. In the winter, or if I am not exercising, I can go three or four days, especially if I wear it up the last few days. I think the longest I have gone (excepting camping) is a little over a week, but I was flat on my back with back spasms and the pain of grease-ball head was less than the pain of standing in the shower.
So, yeah.
Now, about that cheese ----

Aronomy
June 4th, 2008, 09:33 AM
I exercise every single day, and sweat heavily while exercising. I usually wash my hair every day, but sometimes I'll just rinse out the sweat and put conditioner on the ends. If I didn't do anything strenuous I'd probably stretch my washings out longer :).

toodramatik
June 4th, 2008, 11:22 PM
Because I work at BurgerKing. ;/

EvaSimone
June 5th, 2008, 04:48 AM
I wash every other day and sometimes every day. Number one is because I work out and that always requires at least a rinse. Number two is because updos don't really look very nice on me so if I want to look attractive I need to have hair that is freshly washed to really look nice while down. Number three is when my hair looks greasy and doesn't smell nice I don't care for it, in fact it drives me slightly batty and makes me feel insecure about if other people think I look dirty.

At work I don't really care and spend a lot of my time in braids and buns so that is when I wash every other day.

justinekay
June 5th, 2008, 06:22 AM
I wash every other day, partly because my scalp gets oily but mostly because I want to revive the curl and get rid of the frizz. A diluted shampoo wash followed by a moisturizing conditioner really does the trick, but it has to be every second day or my hair looks really bad. Up-dos are no solution for me as my unwashed hair looks worse like that than down!

HeatherAngela
June 5th, 2008, 06:48 AM
I don't think I posted in this tread yet.

I was almost everyday, at least every other because with blonde hair greasies show up very quickly, even in updos. If I try to do a french, dutch or even just a basic english nape braid I end up with hair cleavage from the greasies.

vidgrl007
July 2nd, 2008, 02:26 PM
I usualy wash everyday but just recently started doing everyother day.I have tried to go 2 days but my scalp gets itchy.

Belisama
July 2nd, 2008, 02:44 PM
I tend to wash my hair every other day simple because that is how often I take my showers. It is just easiest to wash then. My hair used to be oily after a day, but it adjusted when I started spacing out my washings and now that I started CO washing, it probably could make it 3-4 days without feeling greasy.

BBGrrl
July 2nd, 2008, 09:57 PM
My hair falls out if I don't wash it daily. It also itches so bad that I bloody my scalp. So it gets washed.

Darkhorse1
July 2nd, 2008, 10:14 PM
Hmm, I don't see a category for those who work with horses ;)

I wash every other day and try to do every 2 days, but I have oily hair, plus it gets really itchy if I don't wash it every other day. Add to my job/carreer---sometimes, I have to get out horsey smells.

nessthing
July 2nd, 2008, 10:31 PM
I shampoo and condition every other day for two of the reasons up there. Oily, and scalp issues. Not only does my hair get greasy... like... the night I wash it, but if I go for more than a day or two unwashed my scalp gets scaly and flaky and itches, even if I use a dandruff shampoo or something. Maybe I've got scalp eczema...

RavennaNight
July 3rd, 2008, 12:16 AM
I find my habits change with the seasons. I wash way more in the summer. Every other day or so, because its hot and sticky and I sweat and work out too. I like to cool off in the shower and end up washing my hair too. In the winter, its cold, and I don't like a wet head, so I wash less, every 4 days. I suppose this winter coming will be a challenge. No blow dryer? Will I get sick?

tiny_teesha
July 3rd, 2008, 04:37 AM
for my whole life i washed every 2nd day, then the past few months i've tried to cut it down to 1-2 times a week washing with teas. I foudn in that time my hair felt better but the oilyness was increasing my shedding, so i am increasing my washes to 2-3 times a week now.

nankipoo
July 3rd, 2008, 06:02 AM
Hi,

When I'm into my running, I wash after each run, with shampoo and conditioner. I have long hair but it gets soaked through with sweat and it feels cleaner to shampoo -- plus leaving sweat in my hair not only feels bad but affects the overall condition by making it dry. So if I run 3x a week, I'll probably wash 3-4 times a week. Sometimes I oil it before I run so that it gets a bit of a treatment before being shampooed.

AerisDawn
July 5th, 2008, 08:28 AM
I had a big dandruff and scalp itch problem and I decided to get a salon scalp treatment. They advised me to wash my hair every day or every other day.

Fireweed
July 5th, 2008, 09:04 AM
Cheese for me because I go a week. I was at every ten days for a lone time. I just like to wash once a week.

Naluin
July 5th, 2008, 10:11 AM
Since I'm trying CO now, my hair only looks "right" to me after a wash. After a wash it lays as neat and flat as my hair is going to get and after a night's sleep it starts to look "undone" to me. Also, by the end of Day 2, my hair starts to feel pretty dry.

So, for now, I wash every other day.

nellen
July 5th, 2008, 10:47 AM
I CWC daily because I hate the gunky, dirty and oily smell and appearance of my hair if I wash just two or three times a week. I don't lather the ends with shampoo, just the scalp and hair roots, I try to do deep treatments often and I use a lot of leave-in and oil for my ends so that they don't dry too much from the frequent washes. I would hate to smell like a girl I once accidentally smelled in a clothing store when I was walking behind her: she reeked of dirty, really oily hair for miles.

HalcyonDays
July 5th, 2008, 11:12 AM
I'm currently at that terrible stage when I'm stretching out the washes. I've washed it every morning for years, and it was dry the day I washed it and horribly greasy the next. I'm now spreading it out to every 2/3/4 days (depending on whether I have to go out) and I've really noticed the difference. My hair is so much softer and shinier and just generally happier, when it's not a complete grease-ball anyway... :D

katiana
July 5th, 2008, 12:46 PM
I like to wash every other day, if I have exercised ( does not happen often ), I will do it every day.. I usually spray my Ojon Rub Out in between washings, but I do not feel that great about my hair if I go more than two days without washing..it just looks blah.

jivete
July 5th, 2008, 01:43 PM
I used to be a daily S&C-er, but quit the shampoo and now can go every other day. The second day is sometimes a little oiler than I prefer, but it's manageable. I either CO, WO or Indian herbs when I wash.

ladykemma
July 5th, 2008, 07:50 PM
yes to all:

i have very oily/thin hair
My hair seems to demand water because it is dry/curly
I have scalp issues that make frequent washes necessary

and in hot sweaty houston texas, i need to at least rinse my scalp once a day. I CO everyday, shampoo once a week. i do the curly girl co,, not the other one.

Indigo Girl
July 5th, 2008, 08:15 PM
I have to wash every other day or else I'm a complete greaseball. Plus, my hair is easier to handle when clean.

StephanieB
July 6th, 2008, 09:24 AM
I have traditionally washed daily, because I have extremely oily hair and a very very itchy scalp.

Since I got here, though, I've just started to stretch out washings as much as possible.

I just started CWC, with WO in between washings, and am trying to keep my hair dry (not wet) at least a day or two, in between WO and CDC days.

I just wish my scalp would quiet down and quit itching me to near-insanity!!!

crebbsgirl
July 6th, 2008, 09:39 AM
I wash every other day. I used to every day but over the past year I have managed to stretch it out. If I try to go much beyond that though, I can't really stand it. My scalp gets really itchy and my hair just looks so gross and greasy. So, every other day for me!!

vampstero
July 7th, 2008, 11:42 AM
i use baking soda and acv, so i am supposed to have some time between washes. but usually it goes on till about four days maybe five, it doesn't reach a level of stench nor does it look oily to an excess. you can see the shine and it tends to be mare tamable just because the oils are weighing it down. I'm quite hungry and ready to sink my fangs into a yellow triangle ::smells cheez::

thankyousir74
July 7th, 2008, 11:47 AM
I CO maybe two or three times a week but i wash with water every day... would that be bad?

Lady Verity
July 11th, 2008, 12:21 PM
I need to wash and condition every day, or it goes greasy at the top and crunchy at the ends.

dor3girl
July 11th, 2008, 01:14 PM
I need to wash and condition every day, or it goes greasy at the top and crunchy at the ends.

Mine is like that--I can go two or 3 days at the most between washings. I usually have to apply EVOO on the second day (ends only). You might try cutting down on fats in your diet & see if it helps decrease the oils in your scalp. . . it has helped me--but my hair gets oiler in the warmer months.

dor3girl
July 11th, 2008, 01:17 PM

I definitely can go longer now between washings than when I had a bob. My hair would get greasy & lose body so fast when it was short. Guess head oils have farther to travel on longer hair. ..

sexyjacksparrow
July 11th, 2008, 03:42 PM
I'm now washing every other day. I can sometimes go to a third day if I wear it up on day 3 but it's looking pretty manky by then.

Kerry xx

howsitgrowin'87
March 1st, 2009, 10:53 PM
I admire those people that can wash once a week too! I have to wash every other day, or I start to develop dandruff and an itchy scalp. It kind of stinks too, because I love the feeling of freshly washed hair (another reason I can't go more than 2 days without washing) but I hate having to watch it and comb it straighter (since I'm a 1C, otherwise I have really funky waves) and it takes forever to dry. I think I'll enjoy it later though when it's long and the waves will look pretty untouched. Now if I leave them alone they just look like they're getting started and someone cut off they rest of their wave sequence, haha!

I'm happy that I don't have to feel guilty about washing more frequently (it used to bother me, I was like "what's wrong with my hair!!!") it's just different for every person I guess and that's what makes us unique :)

Charli800
March 2nd, 2009, 05:07 AM
If I don't wash for a couple of days I have a veritable oil farm on my head. I need my every other day washes just to stay presentable. I can stretch it to three days if I must, but it looks and feels horrible and is nasty to my skin (more the hairline than the scalp, though).

dearladydisdain
March 2nd, 2009, 05:48 AM
My length gets dry if I don't give it water and conditioner often. I also did the once a week washes for a while, but I really really like having freshly washed hair.

Naava
March 2nd, 2009, 01:07 PM
I wash my hair almost every day, usually CWC / CO / CO / CWC. I don't have a problem with oily scalp or anything, I just like to have fresh hair and I like showering :D

Dolly
March 3rd, 2009, 05:06 AM
Well, I workout daily, and my head sweats excessively. I can't stand the smell of my scalp after a workout. YUK! So, I do a scalp wash everyday with CV bars. Most days, I just let the lather run down the length, but give them a good washing about once a week.

Jessaka
March 3rd, 2009, 05:18 PM
Scalp issues here, definitely need to wash everyday or else I'd feel disgusting.

WritingPrincess
March 3rd, 2009, 05:21 PM
I wash my hair every other day, in theory. In reality, it's often more like 3-4 days in the winter between washes. I just don't like greasy hair and I've never had the patiences to wait out the WO transition.

BritHair
March 3rd, 2009, 05:54 PM
I actually wash my hair every 5 to 7 days. It takes along time for my hair to get greasy, being dry and curly. I do sometimes wash it sooner if I accidently over do the coconut oil.

I do spritz with water/conditioner spray several time a day :D

lilalong
March 8th, 2009, 07:24 AM
I only wash because I like my hair freshly washed. Lately, I've been trying to cut down on the washes - without much success.

Debra83
March 8th, 2009, 11:19 PM
When I was little, my mom washed my hair once a week and it was great!!! soft and shiny no damage at all.

When I took over, it quickly moved up to shampoo/conditioner every day.

For the last few years, I've still been washing it every day - but since joining LHC, I've been very conscious of the damage it may be inflicting. I CWC now for sure most of the time, and lately have been able to once in awhile skip a day. As it gets longer, it doesn't totally look like I've slept on it as it did when it was shorter. Somedays, if I'm running very late in the morning, or if it's in the negative 30's temperature wise, I will use a dry spray shampoo by Ojon to alleviate the look of it needing a wash. It really works great, and smells really good too.

hairymonster
March 9th, 2009, 03:52 AM
I have been shampooing and conditioning every other day as far as it is practical. I do like to keep my scalp fresh so I don't get scalp zits or the itchies or limp greasy hair.

If my hair gets longer I may have to move to doing a CWC instead of shampooing and conditioning, for the sake of preserving my ends.

rach
March 9th, 2009, 06:28 AM
i can leave it for longer (2/3 days) were as before it was almost washing it every day or up in a bun the next day if i was lazy, i can now conditioning it allot more now without worrying about greasiness or greasy looking hair and leave it for longer. nice side effect of roactane (spot treatment which helps grease issues) :)

Chanteuse87
March 9th, 2009, 07:41 AM
For me, it's not so much that my hair gets greasy, as my scalp. I've been trying to cut down on washing, doing CO and attempting that every other day, but so far it's been 5 weeks and no difference in grease production on my scalp. I think I may just be one of those people who need to wash daily. I just tried my first scalp only wash in an attempt to spare my length from getting wet -- it was a bit of a failure, as my hair isn't quite long enough yet, but I think I've got a method that may work :) Braid the hair away from the head, then put a plastic bag over the braid and secure with a hair tie. I don't have a handheld shower head, so this may be the only way I can get it to work.

I'm also considering shampooing the scalp and following with an acidic rinse, instead of CO, with a good coat of conditioner on the length.

rainkloud
March 9th, 2009, 08:38 AM
i wash my hair every morning because i work with food in a greasy spoon. and if i don't. it smells like bacon and pepperoni :)

RancheroTheBee
March 9th, 2009, 09:12 AM
I love washing my hair. Something about the process soothes the little carp inside of me, or whatever aquatic creature demands so much water. To avoid any scalp issues during the winter, I apply coconut oil to my scalp the night before, but during the summer, I sweat enough to skip the step.

I wash every other day.

Buddaphlyy
March 9th, 2009, 10:36 AM
I co wash my hair just about everyday for moisture. Even the best and most expensive moisturizers still leave something to be desired as far as long lasting moisture for me. Having water hit my hair and scalp everyday helps with this problem.

LiraelQ
March 12th, 2009, 02:00 PM
I stretch it out for as long as possible (I think my hair isn't happy with normal shampoo/conditioner routines, because the scalp gets greasy and the length dries out), but I haven't been able to go too far beyond every other day, especially recently, who knows why. The oil shows up on my scalp and I can't get it to travel down the rest of my length, even with brushing. I haven't done myself any favors in that department, either, as I recently got bangs that I'll probably have to rinse every day. Anyway, with blonde, straight hair, even a little grease is just too obvious.

If I knew more about updos, I could probably stretch it longer, but ponytails just make me notice the grease more along the hairline, so I usually don't even try.

I've been trying gentler shampooing and that seems to speed up the time between washes, too...sigh. My admiration to anyone who can pull off once a week!

florenonite
March 12th, 2009, 02:46 PM
I was every 2-3 days (though I'm trying to stretch itout) as my scalp is greasy and gets itchy if I don't wash it for too long.

I saw this thread and thought "I'm not a daily or every other day washer, but I wonder what this is about". I saw that I'd voted and wondered at that, so I found my old post. Almost a year ago I washed every two to three days, and now I'm up to four to five :D. Maybe I finally will reach my longtime goal of washing once weekly (I don't know why I want to reach this so badly, just that once a week seems like so little effort, and I can make an event out of it on weekends).

MeeMery
March 27th, 2009, 02:08 PM
My problem is that I work out every morning. I like to go running around my neighborhood or park. If it is humid outside my hair is greasy/a mess. I don't have time for a full-wash, thus I do a scalp wash every other day and full washes at night...drying the hair takes WAY too long. I couldn't ever do a full-wash in the morning without drying for one hour.

deko
March 27th, 2009, 02:17 PM
In winter I wash every other day, summertime I wash only once or twice a week.

AmyJorgensen
March 27th, 2009, 02:31 PM
I don't much care for the godliness part, but I love to be clean. I was just raised that way and it is hard to break that training. I can bear to wash my hair every other day sometimes when I am rushed, but I still want to at least wash the body every day.

Bandia Rua
March 27th, 2009, 02:59 PM
When I was a child I think my hair got washed once or twice a week and seemed fine. Puberty struck and with it came OIL production in my scalp, the likes of which the world has never seen before. So from about 10 or so I washed my hair everyday, I had to or I looked (or at least felt) like I was grungy and never washed at all.

I have tried and tried all kinds of things too like some others on here have mentioned, and I have come to the conclusion that plain old s and c on at least an every other day basis at least keeps an itchy oily scalp at bay and just makes my hair look better.

When I tried stretching out washings my hair always looked frizzy and dull.

I also have to say that for whatever reason (maybe I was a mermaid, or selkie, or siren in a former life) I just love showers and baths... its about the only time I can think of when I get some solitude...lol

Back when I was trying to go a week between washings I used to either put my hair up, which only seemed to make my scalp greasier or I would forgo relaxing in a hot bath altogether. Did not like it at all.

I've rambled too much lol, but yeah, I like frequent washings.

:)

kimi
March 27th, 2009, 03:06 PM
My hair just seems to behave better if it's washed everyday, so I wash and condition everyday, keeping it under control.

Johanna64
March 27th, 2009, 03:45 PM
I wash my hair three times a week,because I love to try new shampoos and conditioners :)
I love washing my hair,the smell and feeling of clean hair!

Schefflera
March 28th, 2009, 11:56 AM
Hrm. Mine's not terribly thin, but fine enough that it does not hide oil very well. My scalp feels better if I wash it every 2-3 days, but I wouldn't really call that "scalp issues," since that makes me think of having acne or some other sort of skin problem.

Gypsygirl
April 3rd, 2009, 05:31 AM
Basically I want sweet-smelling hair... So I wash daily or every other day. Sometimes I'll skip a wash when I don't have to meet anyone. That rarely happens, though. Life is crazy. ;o)

Lucky
April 5th, 2009, 01:21 AM
I voted "I have very oily/thin hair," which I do. I wash every other day. If I go 2 or more days in between washings, my scalp just gets too oily and even sore, it's very uncomfortable. I used to wash every day when I was younger, but I realized that I can go 1 day in between washes, which is better than nothing, I guess. I'd like to be able to stretch out washes, but my scalp just doesn't seem to cooperate. I try to compensate by doing a lot of deep conditionings, oiling and no hair dryer or damaging products in my hair.

KiwiLiz
April 5th, 2009, 03:47 AM
I currently wash every day with Lush Godiva shampoo and condition with Australian organics. I've been at work or uni practically every day for past month (seriously can't remember when, my last day off was) so I like to keep my hair not-oily looking in public (especially at work, to fit the grooming standards) Next week I have off uni and only a few days on at work, so I'm going to try and space out the shampooing.

ilovelonghair
April 5th, 2009, 05:29 AM
My hair loves water! I can't wash daily because that would dry it out, so I wash every 2 or 3 days and wet the ends daily.

rose_in_bloom
April 6th, 2009, 11:43 PM
I'm actually a combination of all the poll choices. I have very oily/thin/fine/blond hair (in other words, it REALLY shows if I'm even a little bit greasy). I love to have my hair smell good and my hair likes to be wet. If I skip a day my hair will be super greasy and smelly from my scalp down to about my ears, and the length will be dry and tangly.

However, if I'm not going anywhere important, I will skip a day or two.

I wish I didn't need to wash this much. I hope when I get older the oil production will slow down so I can go longer between washes.

Nyghtingale
April 7th, 2009, 04:46 PM
I wash every other day during the work week. I don't was on the weekends.

myotislucifugus
April 7th, 2009, 05:11 PM
I wash every other day to every 3 days. I try to use the washing as an incentive to work out, as I don't like to work out and muck up freshly washed hair. I've also found a number of styles to hide the oilies looking at pics of ancient greeks. They did a lot of twisty coily things that look great with less-than-lovely hair.

Fizz
April 7th, 2009, 05:23 PM
I wash every day.. except Friday night when I get home late and can't be bothered.:p
I work in a hospital, so I like to wash my hair in the shower every evening.
Makes me feel much cleaner. I wear my hair in a plait at work and the elderly patients tend to grab hold of it!:rolleyes:

milemma
April 28th, 2009, 01:53 AM
I wash my hair every other day, unless I make braids after shampoo. Otherwise it's too oily to manage....

drquartz1970
April 28th, 2009, 02:03 AM
I only wash my hair when I absolutely need to do so. My hair/scalp is naturally very oily and in the summer months when it is hot or humid I would usually wash every second day - in the cooler months of the year I can get away without washing until the fourth day. When my scalp starts to itch I know it is time for a wash.

Pacific
June 8th, 2009, 12:58 PM
I mostly wash my hair every other day. I like having freshly washed hair.

Quixii
June 8th, 2009, 01:02 PM
I take showers every other day. I like the feeling of being clean, and I couldn't imagine taking a shower without washing my hair. I don't quite understand scalp-only washes.
If I go a while without washing my hair, the hair closest to my head starts getting kinda oily/greasy, but the rest of my hair likes it. (ETA: For a short bit. But it's pretty frizzy/curly, so I definitely appreciates conditioner.) >.< But I still like washing it, so it all gets washed.

vintersaga
June 8th, 2009, 03:07 PM
I don't always wash everyday or every other day but simply because I cannot tolerate wet hair. Sometimes I just want to have happy and moisturized hair and I wash and CO everyday and I'm having one of those days now. My hair loves to get washed and conditioned because it's very dry and wurly:D

That's like me! :)
I CO-wash most of the time every third day, or I'm trying to... but it's every third day, every fourth.. if I'm at home and just doesn't have any reason big enough to wash it, like of I'm going out to be around people or so.:) or every second, and sometimes every day beacause I enjoy washing it and take care of it, doing treatments and so on.
But then I walk into a period when I just cannot stand if my hair is wet, or find the whole washing procedure too complicated.:cool:

:flower:

ZaBasDa
June 8th, 2009, 03:23 PM
I get major icky scalp issues by my 3rd/4th day between washes, so I try to wash every other day. Sometimes I'm too lazy too though. But my curls definitely like getting wet and being slathered in conditioner as often as possible.

LittleOrca
June 8th, 2009, 04:04 PM
I wash my hair every other day or sometimes every day depending on my activity level and how sweaty I have gotten and then it's just usually a conditioner soak. Shampoo comes into play only a few times.

Fractalsofhair
June 8th, 2009, 05:04 PM
I use a soap based shampoo most of the time, and I wash daily. I get a really weird smell to my scalp if I don't wash daily, but I can go a good week+ sans washing if I care about only appearance. I'm healthy, and it's not too noticeable of a smell, but it bothers me. It's not like the rest of my natural smells, it almost smells like rancid oil, but with my smell in it(Rancid sebum?). That being said, I use a ton of conditioner and have very dry hair, but I also produce very little oil. I do use very gentle products, and I'm considering shampoo bars and COing. I used to use shampoo bars daily as a child. It would take days for my hair to dry when it was virgin, so it was nearly always damp. Now that I have about 1/4 from several inches down, it dries in about 5 hours at shoulder length. That being said, I have a lot of hair. Damp doesn't bother me, soaking wet gets annoying.

AmandaPanda
June 8th, 2009, 05:11 PM
I chose "I have Oily/Thin hair". It's not thin, but it is fine and my scalp gets very oily. I've never smelled anything weird about my scalp. I've tried stretching washing out to every other day, but my hair still gets oily by the following day.

I wash my scalp every night when I have to work the next day. I try to give it a break once in a while. I also don't let the shampoo touch my length every time I wash.

Nyghtingale
June 8th, 2009, 07:30 PM
I usually wash just twice a week, but since I am working out more, it's almost every day

Savvyhorsez
June 9th, 2009, 07:01 AM
I fall under the oil and thin hair. I am surprised to see that catagory has the most people in it. I thought there was only few that have hair like myself.:)

florenonite
June 9th, 2009, 08:45 AM
I fall under the oil and thin hair. I am surprised to see that catagory has the most people in it. I thought there was only few that have hair like myself.:)

I think fine hair in general tends to be oily, or at least to appear oily faster. I suppose more oil can soak into a coarser hair strand or something :shrug:

GoddesJourney
June 9th, 2009, 10:22 AM
My hair is definately not thin, but it is very oily and always has been. I never had scalp issues until recently. I started washing every other day and now I get dandruff. I don't know what got upset in my scalp, but I used to just get too oily if I didn't wash. Now I get LOADS of dandruff. Also, I just love that clean hair feel and smell. And I used to work out a lot daily, so it was necessary.

3azza
June 9th, 2009, 10:31 AM
I chose both dry hair and scalp issue (super oily scalp), you can imagine one inch of oily hair sticking to scalp and the rest dry and frizzy, so best option is to wash everyother day, a clean scalp and moisturized hair. :)

Straightcurl
June 10th, 2009, 08:58 PM
I love Amanda's hair! I am starting to wash my hair every other day after a scalp treatment (oil).
I use Pantene. It stops my breakage. It behaves better after washing. Most of the moisture isn't
retained. My hair will get frizzy and nothing helps but a powerwash. So, I am back with it again.
It's the only way I can help my hair behaved. It's shinier and bouncier with the help of ACV.

concrescence
June 13th, 2009, 10:24 AM
I wash my hair somewhere between every day and every other day. I would say most weeks I wash my hair between 3 and 5 days a week. I do it because my hair is just too oily, it looks like crap at the end of the second day (and sometimes starts to itch). And, I have to wear it up the second day. It's too flat and oily to wear it down.

fraublaukau
June 13th, 2009, 08:34 PM
every other day just cuz the hair ontop of my head gets oily pretty quickly, yet the rest is fairly clean. :/ hmmm

jlpearce
June 13th, 2009, 08:36 PM
I chose the cleanliness option, but really it's mostly out of habit. I'm so used to washing my hair everyday that when I get in the shower I'm on autopilot. Especially considering that I shower first thing in the morning, before I'm very awake!

I'd love to stretch the time between washings out a bit, but between the unconscious grabbing of shampoo and the gross oiliness that results when I miss a day I've never successfully trained my head to chill out.

curls2grow
June 13th, 2009, 08:48 PM
I haven't yet figured out how to get good 2nd day hair leaving my hair dry/curly. So I usually wet it to style it in cooler/drier weather. This summer I am trying not to wet it daily; going to try bunning on 2nd day, and wearing it curly (enjoying new gel experiments) on CO wash days.

tarn
June 13th, 2009, 09:32 PM
If I don't wash by the second night, my hair is great on the ends but my bangs and canopy are sticky to my head like they are all greased up. I have tried a few things to counteract it but still seem to be stuck doing the other day wash.

maaria
June 23rd, 2009, 07:54 AM
I wash 2 or 3 times a week and then it depends on if I have been at the gym and lift weights and got sweaty :o

Armelle
June 23rd, 2009, 08:16 AM
There should've been an option for "I also work out of doors...in the southern US." :)
For some reason, and just recently too, my hair is oily around the scalp but very, very dry for the length of it. :(

zen_oven
June 23rd, 2009, 08:20 AM
I don't know if I should really have voted since I wash a little less frequently--I go two days between washes. I voted that my hair demands water because it is dry/curly. I can't seem to go any longer than two days without a wash as my scalp gets oily and my length gets dry and snappish. On non-wash days I mist the hell out of it, though, and that seems to help me go a bit longer sometimes.

lambhair
June 23rd, 2009, 09:35 AM
It is really hard for me to get into a regular routine of washing every certain number of days since my schedual varies so much and I have to wash my hair when I get home from work. I work in a hospital and am exposed to a lot of really icky stuff so washing is mandatory and that throws whatever routine I have off. There are times that I work 3 days in a row and have to wash everynight when I get home. If that is the case I try to go 3-4 days before I wash again. I have tried covering my hair when I go to bed instead of washing so frequently but that isn't really comfortable in the summer. Washing so often doesn't seem to wreck my hair so much as just make it too slippery to style well.

zombi
June 24th, 2009, 03:22 AM
It is really hard for me to get into a regular routine of washing every certain number of days since my schedual varies so much and I have to wash my hair when I get home from work. I work in a hospital and am exposed to a lot of really icky stuff so washing is mandatory and that throws whatever routine I have off. There are times that I work 3 days in a row and have to wash everynight when I get home. If that is the case I try to go 3-4 days before I wash again. I have tried covering my hair when I go to bed instead of washing so frequently but that isn't really comfortable in the summer. Washing so often doesn't seem to wreck my hair so much as just make it too slippery to style well.

Yep, me too!

Also right now I am using megaTek and I cannot leave it on -- it weighs my thin/fine hair down WAY too much! -- so I usually put it on and wash it off EOD.

Heavenly Locks
June 24th, 2009, 03:41 AM
I've been washing more often than I used to because I've discovered how much FUN it is. :) I am enjoying the CO wash method so much that I just can't stay out of the shower. I was washing weekly, now I am washing 2-3 times a week. I am sort of enjoying the 'spa' time more than ever....

I picked cheese since 'for fun' wasn't on the list ;)

Tap Dancer
June 24th, 2009, 05:08 AM

I wash my hair every other day. I love the feel and smell of freshly washed hair.

Locksmith
June 24th, 2009, 08:50 AM
If I'm going out in public, I have to wash every other day due to GREASE. :( My ahir is dead straight and I have a fringe, so it's very obvious and looks vile when it needs washing! If I'm not being seen by other people I've been known to leave it for four days at a time, but that's just me being a slob! :p It usually starts to bug me after 3 days of not washing. I like clean hair.

young&reckless
June 24th, 2009, 09:02 AM
I wash everyday. Normaly I only wash the whole length of my hair every three or four days but it all gets wet everyday. Since I work out everyday I just can not stand sweaty dirty hair on my head.

lyria
June 24th, 2009, 05:11 PM
"because I work out and sweat is not my favorite leave in" shoule be an option! I don't wash everyday, but if I'm going to the gym (almost everyday when I'm being good) then not washing my hair (and everything else!) would be gross and would probably make me break out.

Cake
June 29th, 2009, 12:13 PM
I wash daily because I like "fresh made" hair, it looks and feels better on me, also more moisturized. If some day I don't exercise and don't sweat, maybe I skip it if I'm lazy.

I do CO wash five days a week and CWC wash 3 days a week.

Flotsum
June 29th, 2009, 07:49 PM
I had a lot of product build up at one time. In the front particularly. I used baking soda to remove it but my scalp remained sorta flaky. I have been washing every other day since. My hair seems to drink up any moisture. It especially loves water.

Elanor
June 30th, 2009, 01:51 AM
"because I work out and sweat is not my favorite leave in"

Ditto! :D
I do sports every day (bicycling, running, rollerblading, yoga..) and I have to wash every other day to get the sweat out.

MomoKoNoHanna
June 30th, 2009, 02:57 AM
I clicked: everyday because I like clean hair, but not always so ...
I work in fast-food casually (mature adult college student :D) so after working it gets really oily!!! I hate that oily dirty feeling on my scalp. With that being said I mainly just wash my scalp and let the shampoo just run through my ends on its own plus I use no-sulphate (currently). However if it is my day off or I have been in class all day I may just leave it be or do a conditioner wash (I have only just started doing those) but after work I must wash my scalp or on the next day everything will be bleh yuck!!!

Charlotte
June 30th, 2009, 03:17 AM
Usually best if I wash every second day but I am trying to stretch it out to three (or even four if I'm not going anywhere and absolutely no-one is coming over to visit!) :D By then I am just "itching" to wash my hair. ha ha ha

batteredcakes
July 8th, 2009, 06:17 PM
I always have ot wash my hair every other day because it oils up and just looks really bad :(

faeflame
July 9th, 2009, 01:41 PM
When I first joined LHC I had just gotten the perm from h**l and to keepit from frizzing out I would wash only 2 maybe 3 times a week. Now the perm is mostly gone and my hair needs washed daily. I also read somewhere about DHT building up in scalp sebum and causing thinning. Don't know if it is true, but don't want to chance it.

RedCardigan
July 10th, 2009, 09:04 AM
I wash every other day due to lots of oil and a scalp that freaks out if I go too long or use the wrong shampoo, sometimes I'll stretch it out if I don't have to leave the house but that's more due to being lazy rather than any other reason. :)

I use to wash every day. I've tried to go longer between washing and tried just about every type of method and/or product out there. Finding a shampoo that doesn't freak my scalp out helps.

Plus I realized it wasn't so much my washing routine that was killing my hair as it was the flat-ironing and coloring. It can even handle a low,gentle blow-drying once in a while too.

jasper
August 28th, 2009, 04:34 PM
My hair looks dirty during the third day. Sometimes I'm fine with that. I'm not fine with it if I am going to work.

janiejones
August 28th, 2009, 11:50 PM
I could easily go once or twice a week if I didn't have to actually come into contact with other people or generally care about my hairs' appearance. However, since I am around people, it's easier to manage my hair if I can put it up damp after washing and not have static-y upturned, uncooperative ends and length I have to force into a braid or a bun.

horseprincess
August 29th, 2009, 12:26 AM
I voted oily/thin hair. The thing is, my hair isn't really oily, but if I go for more than two days without washing it gets greasy. But on the other hand if I wash it daily it gets really dried out. Thats why I stick to washing it every other day, and oiling the day before I wash.

Danamarie
August 29th, 2009, 12:50 AM
I have fine hair and a fairly oily scalp. I still use styling products in my hair as it's still short, but I am trying some alcohol and cone free products. I'm actually experimenting so much that my hair doesn't know what's coming next! It loves co washes but looks better when I do it daily. I do feel guilty because fine hair is fragile and washing every day, even if it's co, is a lot of handling. I feel guilty but vanity gets me every time... Such a newbie!

Lilli
August 29th, 2009, 08:27 AM
Another option, and the main reason why I wash every day - my hair is blonde so any oil shows immediately.

Second most important reason - my hair is short and the hair itself is very resistant to styling - so I wake up with my hair sticking up everywhere and the only way to get it to lay down is to wash it.

Third - I am very sensitive to smells and so I need to get the smell of whatever was cooking out of my hair or I can't go to sleep - so really I often wash twice a day! :o

metalgypsy85
August 29th, 2009, 08:49 AM
My hair just gets greasy and gross. It's super fine and thin, so it shows when it's greasy. I wash and condition every day. Usually when it's past BSL, I stretch to every other day, but that's a long way away.

LaFlor
August 29th, 2009, 09:27 AM
I would prefer to wash everyday, but I try to stretch it to every other day. The second day is usually horrible... Insane itching, greasiness, gross color. I wish it wasn't so.

Fethenwen
August 29th, 2009, 09:37 AM
Every second to every third is what I am at right now. I have tried to stretch it without much success. With CO washing I can actually stretch it to every third, but if I have been using even a tiny bit of shampoo, my hair gets tanglier the more oilier it gets. After CO, it just gets oily but not tangly. My hair is fine, so it looks horrible when it is oily.

elaineflowers
August 29th, 2009, 09:56 AM
I have fine, thin hair.... so prior to joining LHC I would wash every day to every other day. Hair was always lank and greasy by the second day. But now trying to stretch out washings to as long as possible, maybe 3 or 4 days!!! yay!!! This does mean, however, that cannot wear hair down ( as doesn't look too great!) so updos most of the time.
xxxxxx

Danamarie
August 29th, 2009, 11:22 AM
It certainly seems that fine and/or thin hair needs washing more often. When my hair gets longer,
I hope an up do will get an extra day between washes. I'd like that simply because
of the damage factor of handling it less and the time it would save.

I wonder why so many of us fine-haired people seem to have more oil. Or, is it just that the
oil is able to travel faster through fine hair causing it to have that flat, lank, greasy look that
we avoid like the plague.. Hair gods please take note....

Sissy
August 29th, 2009, 11:56 AM
Usually wash every day, sometimes every other day. If I don't my scalp looks dirty... at least I think it does. I wear my hair down and I feel that it's noticeable when I go more than one or two days without it being washed. It gets sort of a greasy, piecey look at the scalp. I would love to try washing every second day as some have stated but with the amount of exercise I'm doing and the job I have (I'm a teacher) I just can't bear to go to work greasy looking. Therefore, I shower every night but I do not wash with shampoo most nights. Usually I CO with VO5, then finish up with a heavier conditioner. Hopefully this keeps my hair from getting too dried out from the frequent showers.

What concerns me, more so than the potential for dryness, is the hair loss I experience when I shower. I feel so guilty about the hair in the shower drain and often wonder if I'm losing too much, especially as I shower each day.

Danamarie
August 29th, 2009, 12:08 PM
Usually wash every day, sometimes every other day. If I don't my scalp looks dirty... at least I think it does. I wear my hair down and I feel that it's noticeable when I go more than one or two days without it being washed. It gets sort of a greasy, piecey look at the scalp. I would love to try washing every second day as some have stated but with the amount of exercise I'm doing and the job I have (I'm a teacher) I just can't bear to go to work greasy looking. Therefore, I shower every night but I do not wash with shampoo most nights. Usually I CO with VO5, then finish up with a heavier conditioner. Hopefully this keeps my hair from getting too dried out from the frequent showers.

What concerns me, more so than the potential for dryness, is the hair loss I experience when I shower. I feel so guilty about the hair in the shower drain and often wonder if I'm losing too much, especially as I shower each day.

When I started taking hair supplements, my hair stopped shedding so much. I love Suave Clarifying Conditioner for CO washes. I can't use a heavy conditioner after because my hair will get lanky right away. I can use a miniscule amount of coconut oil on the ends of my top layer - but only when my hair is wet. Otherwise it will look flat.

Sissy
August 29th, 2009, 02:51 PM
When I started taking hair supplements, my hair stopped shedding so much. I love Suave Clarifying Conditioner for CO washes. I can't use a heavy conditioner after because my hair will get lanky right away. I can use a miniscule amount of coconut oil on the ends of my top layer - but only when my hair is wet. Otherwise it will look flat.

Suave Clarifying is good! I often use it to wash out overnight oilings. I also take hair supplements. Which ones do you take? Are their any particulars, like MSM for example, that you feel help decrease hair loss?

Danamarie
August 29th, 2009, 03:05 PM
Suave Clarifying is good! I often use it to wash out overnight oilings. I also take hair supplements. Which ones do you take? Are their any particulars, like MSM for example, that you feel help decrease hair loss?

Hmmm, I'd say all of them in general but most notable is the Biosil by Natrol. It used to be Jarrow brand but Natrol bought the formula and Jarrow created a new one that isn't as effective. Biosil is a silica supplement designed to absorb better. It's a liquid in a dropper bottle. Also is ultranourishair from GNC. If I could only take one supplement, I'd be at a loss to pick The One that works best.

I also take kelp but I have to keep my eye on my idodine level because I had hyperthroid for awhile, called graves disease and i don't want to flare it up. A symptom of iodine overdose is runny nose. I don't know why, I just know that when I've had enough, my nose gets runnier than normal with my allergies. Hope that's not TMI...

When I start listing all the supplements I take for hair, you'd think I would be a walking hair factory. But my hair is fine and needs help. I joined in July and see marked improvement.

I noticed a lot less hair shedding when I started taking the Biosil. It is supposed to help growth too but I was already taking the msm and biotin and ultranourishair and was already experiencing faster growth.

meowmeow
August 29th, 2009, 03:06 PM
I wash everyday because I like the way it feels. :) I take my showers at night, so by the end of the day my scalp is a bit itchy. When I wash, I used just enough shampoo to get rid of the itch and of course the conditioner make detangling a lot easier.

Sissy
August 29th, 2009, 06:23 PM
Hmmm, I'd say all of them in general but most notable is the Biosil by Natrol. It used to be Jarrow brand but Natrol bought the formula and Jarrow created a new one that isn't as effective. Biosil is a silica supplement designed to absorb better. It's a liquid in a dropper bottle. Also is ultranourishair from GNC. If I could only take one supplement, I'd be at a loss to pick The One that works best.

I also take kelp but I have to keep my eye on my idodine level because I had hyperthroid for awhile, called graves disease and i don't want to flare it up. A symptom of iodine overdose is runny nose. I don't know why, I just know that when I've had enough, my nose gets runnier than normal with my allergies. Hope that's not TMI...

When I start listing all the supplements I take for hair, you'd think I would be a walking hair factory. But my hair is fine and needs help. I joined in July and see marked improvement.

I noticed a lot less hair shedding when I started taking the Biosil. It is supposed to help growth too but I was already taking the msm and biotin and ultranourishair and was already experiencing faster growth.

Hi there,

I used to take kelp too, for a short time, until I found out the potential dangers of doing so. I looked into the GNC Ultranourishair but decided against it after doing some comparision and realizing I can just take the ultramega woman's multi and fish oils, MSM, Biotin, and Evening Primrose and get all of the same effects. I can't remember but the Nourshair might contain horsetail, which I don't want to risk.

Anyhow, didn't mean to hijack the thread :)

Danamarie
August 29th, 2009, 06:40 PM
Hi there,

I used to take kelp too, for a short time, until I found out the potential dangers of doing so. I looked into the GNC Ultranourishair but decided against it after doing some comparision and realizing I can just take the ultramega woman's multi and fish oils, MSM, Biotin, and Evening Primrose and get all of the same effects. I can't remember but the Nourshair might contain horsetail, which I don't want to risk.

Anyhow, didn't mean to hijack the thread :)

Nope, no horsetail in the ultranourish. It does have amino acids cystine and methione which are good for hair. I don't want to take horsetail either. I take kelp every other day in the morning. It gives me good energy but I don't want to take it daily as the nourishair has 50 mcgs. of iodine in it as well and I take that daily.

Spring
August 29th, 2009, 06:57 PM
Is horsetail ok??? I think it's in my hair vitamin.

On topic....

Washing every other day is great for my scalp (years of dandruff cleared up).

Danamarie
August 29th, 2009, 07:10 PM
Is horsetail ok??? I think it's in my hair vitamin.

On topic....

Washing every other day is great for my scalp (years of dandruff cleared up).

I've heard long term use of it is hard on the liver or something. Maybe when you finish the vitamins you are now taking, you can switch to a brand that doesn't have it. I have heard it's just not good to use it on a permanent basis...

Spring
August 29th, 2009, 07:20 PM
I've heard long term use of it is hard on the liver or something. Maybe when you finish the vitamins you are now taking, you can switch to a brand that doesn't have it. I have heard it's just not good to use it on a permanent basis...

Thanks for that information, I had no idea :poot:

Rivanariko
August 29th, 2009, 08:09 PM
I have to cleanse it in some way every day because it gets dirty. Not oily or greasy from the natural oils in my hair and skin, I mean dirty. I work with horses, so when I come home I have sweat, dust, mud, horse hair, horse slobber, and probably some glycerin soap from cleaning tack pretty much everywhere, including my hair. Not washing it would just be... gross. However, I have stretched out my use of shampoo to only once a week, and CO twice in addition to that, so most days I just get my hair wet and scritch my scalp a bit to make sure everything is rinsing out. This seems to keep my hair relatively happy.

Sissy
August 29th, 2009, 08:16 PM
Thanks for that information, I had no idea :poot:

Hi regarding horsetail I would not recommend taking this supplement. I assume you are taking horsetail for the silica it contains? If so, I would recommend getting silica from your natural foods. You can find silica in cereal (oats and rices), strawberries, cucumbers, asparagus, lettuce cabbage, potatoes, onions, sunflower seeds.

The reason I won't take horsetail is that it relatively high in selenium as well as silicon. Too much selenium may cause birth defects. Pregnant women should not use this herb. It also contains the chemical equisetine that in large amounts is a nerve poison. Children have reportedly suffered non-fatal reactions after using the hollow stem as a toy blowgun and ingesting the juices. The FDA lists horsetail as an herb of undefined safety. As with any herbal supplement, horsetail herbal supplements should only be used in amounts typically recommended for medicinal purposes and you should always consult with a health professional first, especially if you are pregnant, nursing or taking prescription medications.
*Taking horsetail may deplete vitamin B1 (thiamin) from the body. It may lower potassium levels in the blood. Horsetail also may contain nicotine. Pregnant women should NOT use horsetail and people whom drink or smoke or use herbal supplements with diuretic properties should also be very wary. Horsetail may cause delpletion of other b vitamins resulting in brain function failure, etc

HeatherMae
August 30th, 2009, 10:10 PM
I wash everyday in the summer only because I sweat so horribly and then I just feel gross. In the winter I try to wash every other day or even every third day.

Ravenmoon
September 6th, 2009, 09:55 AM
I wash it every day because my hair will get really oily if I don't and I've got some scalp issues as well. I've never had any negatives effects to my hair though even though I wash it everyday.

pilateschick7
September 7th, 2009, 07:02 AM
I shampoo every other day, cowash in between. I just can't not wet/condition my hair. I try to skip and just feel gross and get straight frizzies around my face while the rest semi poofs/tries to curl. The every other day use of Monistat and oiling the ends probably contributes.

I purchased a Boxwood comb from Chidoriya recently. I might be able to live with stretching washes using it and Camella oil.

I am also debating purchasing a Mason Pearson.

Kirzja
December 13th, 2009, 02:51 PM
I have very oil hair.

I wash my bangs every morning.
I wash all of my hair every 2 days.

Lemur_Catta
December 13th, 2009, 03:04 PM
I have an oily forehead, so I have to wash my bangs (and sometimes my front layers, which are at chin length) every day. I wash the rest of my hair when I exercise, on Monday, Wednesday and Friday evening. Sometimes I skip the Friday washing, and I wash on Saturday morning\afternoon, if I don't have to go anywhere.
I do that because I love having clean hair. My scalp gets oily fast, while my ends get very dry if I don't wet them. My mother and my sister both have very dry scalps, and can go up to a week without washing, and you would never tell from their hair.
If I had time, I would wash everyday, but since it is cold and I blowdry my hair, this is not a good idea. Besides, I would use a lot more products!

smilinjenn71
December 13th, 2009, 03:24 PM
I can not stand the smell and feel of dirty hair/scalp!! It seriously grosses me out!:puke:

Therefore I am a daily wash girl... every now and again every other day. But that's as long as I can stand it!

slb2221
December 13th, 2009, 06:54 PM
My hair is dry and curly..it needs moisture

Captain Nikki
December 13th, 2009, 07:05 PM
I CO my hair nearly everyday because i run daily & ride horses so it get sweaty & dirty!

Ce'Nedra
December 13th, 2009, 07:17 PM
I wash my hair everyday. I think I tried the CO once, but it didn't work out well for me. The oiliness of my scalp drove me crazy.

Crysta
December 14th, 2009, 10:03 AM
Because I can get discustingly greasy hair after just a day, so i'm trying out some CO washing and only twice a week.

vintersaga
December 14th, 2009, 07:16 PM
I wash my hair everyday. I think I tried the CO once, but it didn't work out well for me. The oiliness of my scalp drove me crazy.

Sometimes it can take some time for the scalp to get used to not being dried out so much. And in that time it still produces the same ammount of oil. It usually gets better after a while when the scalp gets calmer. :)

:blossom:

Lianna
December 25th, 2010, 01:50 AM
I just like the freshness of daily washed hair.

naturegirl321
December 25th, 2010, 07:14 AM
I wash my hair every day, but it's very short. I'd like to start going to every other day and then eventually a couple times a week.

kschr2004
December 25th, 2010, 05:59 PM
Very oily hair. And dandruff. So I wash with shampoo and conditioner every other day, and I typically do a CO on the follow up days. Today I didn't wash my hair at all, and my scalp is driving me crazy!

castano
December 26th, 2010, 07:16 AM
I have rather oily hair so I can't keep my hair unwashed more than 2 days

Immera
December 26th, 2010, 09:40 AM
I experimented with skipping days on a long weekend and found my scalp is addicted to shampoo. on the second day, i'm not presentable to got work. By day 3 i couldn't take it any more. Thats as far as I got.
I have washed my hair almost every day of my life. I have started condition wash condition, so my length doesn't really get much shampoo at all, and that seems to make my ends a bit softer. It has only been a few months so I can't attest to my long term results.
Some weekends I skip a wash and wear coconut oil all day.

missfortune9335
December 26th, 2010, 09:43 AM
For me, I have to wash every other day because my fine hair tends to look "dirty" pretty quickly. Especially If I'm exercising. (which I try to do 4-5 times per week, so washing every other day is a must for me) I do a pretty heavy oiling from the ears down before I wash to try and protect the length.

JuneBride
December 26th, 2010, 10:21 AM
I CO wash everytime I shower. I usually shower everyday. Therefore, I CO wash pretty much everyday.

janeytilllie
December 26th, 2010, 10:37 AM
I do scalp washes every 2nd day. My scalp gets dandruff and itchy if I go longer so my scalp needs to be washed regularly. My hair length on the over hand hates being washed so I do full washes every month.
I then have happy hair :gabigrin:

beez1717
December 26th, 2010, 10:52 AM
My hair needs to be washed or I would have enough grease to make French fries with....

patienceneeded
December 26th, 2010, 11:42 AM
I wash every other day, my scalp gets too oily otherwise. Sometimes I can stretch it a third day, usually with a headband or something, with my hair pulled back. I like having clean-smelling hair too, but the oil is the main reason I wash every second day.

boomtownrat
December 26th, 2010, 09:22 PM
I'm not sure if I've answered this, but I guess not because I was able to vote in the poll.

My scalp itches unbearably if I go for more than 24-36 hours without washing it, and every 24 hours is much easier since I work outside of my home on a set schedule. At this length, I can't just watch my scalp. Besides, my silver and white hair (which is 98% of it) looks brighter when it's clean.

boomygrrl
December 27th, 2010, 05:10 PM
I voted "cleanliness is next to godliness." I love fresh clean hair!
My hair can get wonky and although I don't have scalp issues and I'm not very oily on the scalp, I can feel it when it's dirty and I don't like it.
I was 4-5 times a week.

indiana
December 27th, 2010, 08:32 PM
I have tried to skip days and use BS/ACV washes, CO washes, sulfate free washes. I have never been able to get my scalp to the point where my hair isn't completely greasy each morning. So, I just wash each morning. I just wash the scalp and then use tons of conditioner on the length.

Teilani
December 27th, 2010, 11:42 PM
Back at the board for the first time in a while. I've tried a host of options with my hair and it is easy for me to wash my hair daily. When I'm careful and don't brush it often, I can go two days - especially if the hair is up - for two days. Occasionally, if I know I'm staying in, I might go three days but that pushes all kinds of limits.

I have pretty normal, fine, straight, Scandinavian type hair that does well with daily or every other day scalp washes (I do love shampoo bars) conditioning, and ACV rinses. Once a week or week and a half I'll make a point of washing more of the shaft to remove some of the build up.

dereksurfs
December 30th, 2010, 11:10 PM
I just like the clean feeling. When I try CO it just feels like there is too much 'stuff' left in my hair. Though I may experiement with this more. However I am liking the Movie Star Hair Shampoo so far which is like a moisturizing shampoo achieving both in the same process.

Derek

Veer666
December 31st, 2010, 01:54 AM
I used to wash my hair everyday, but am now shifted to every other day.

Sometimes I notice that I really miss the feel and smell of freshly washed hair. So if I have to wait even longer to wash my hair, I will have to miss this feeling even more!

Maybe a mist will help?

Avital88
December 31st, 2010, 02:08 AM
my issue is: i like to have clean hair, so i like to wash it every other day because i want my hair to smell nice:( but my hair doesnt like to be washed that frequently, not more than twice a week.
So i do what my hair likes:). I always make sure i wash it when i need to go somewhere special though like a birthday or party

christi.adell
December 31st, 2010, 07:08 AM
I like it fresh, clean and smelling great. It gets pretty gross the 2nd or 3rd day, as in it smells dirty. I dunno why I hardly do anything anymore, but that's why I like to wash it often.

Ladycelt
January 2nd, 2011, 05:27 PM
My hair is super-thin, so daily washings are a must right now. Unfortunately, since I have to leave for work at 7:30, that leads to heat styling, which I KNOW isn't good for my hair...it's a catch-22....:(

christine1989
January 2nd, 2011, 05:32 PM
The most I can go between washes is a 2 days because the hair near my scalp gets ver oily while the bottom part is still quite dry. CO washing seems to clean the oil off of the hair on top while moisturizing the rest.

Fufu
January 2nd, 2011, 09:17 PM
I used to wash daily and I feel that it's quite a chore, have to wait for the hair to dry before I can turn in.

So now I wash every alternate days and best it doesn't dry out the hair too much.. :)

redcelticcurls
January 2nd, 2011, 09:28 PM
In the winter, I like to get it wet every other day because the curls need that conditioner.

I do notice that if I have my hair blown out that I can go a week without getting it wet.

PiroskaCicu
January 3rd, 2011, 10:54 AM
I wash nearly every day but sometimes stretch it out just to give it a break. The reason I wash so often is because I have a scalp condition which makes it oily and flaky -yuck.

JulietCapulet
January 4th, 2011, 03:31 AM
I voted cheese option. I wash my hair every other day because I live in Miami and it's extremely hot here most of the time so It's a necessity if I want to avoid feeling dirty or sweaty.

annieangel149
January 5th, 2011, 04:49 PM
well before i joined this forum i washed every other day cos it just liked doing it! now its cos im on conditioner only washing!

lascuba
January 7th, 2011, 10:59 AM
I wash (just with water and weekly BS/ACV wash) and condition everyday. I have 3B curls, and they just don't do second-day hair.

baaaad_kitty
January 7th, 2011, 11:35 AM
I am VERY afraid of smelling like oily scalp. I have seen some oily scalps, and it's really gross looking. I will put my hair up when I do not wash that day just to hide my scalp. Also, I'm in the tropics where it's difficult not to feel hot and get sweaty.

Not that this applies to all, but when I do see Caucasian foreigners around their hair looks kinda gross and not washed. Sometimes when they pass by you you can SMELL them. Makes me wonder if hair washing has some correlation with ethnicity or country of origin.

MandaMom2Three
January 7th, 2011, 12:09 PM
When my hair was longer I could stretch my washings to nearly a week, but since cutting back I have to wash much more frequently. I have to wash every day or every other day to keep up with greasiness.

Veer666
January 7th, 2011, 12:43 PM
I used to wash every day, but have easily stretched it to every other day.

For me the hardest thing to stretch time between washes was that I really love freshly washed hair

My hair does get used to washing less frequently. Sometimes I even manage to wash my hair on the first day and again on the fourth day (instead of third day, which is every other day).

Alix
January 8th, 2011, 11:23 PM
I wash my hair whenever I shower, so that is usually every day for me, but I can go a good two days without washing if I want to. I suspect as it gets longer and takes more time to dry I'll stretch it. My hair just likes to hold onto pony tail marks, or any other kind of mark, and the only way to fix it is to wash it.

Yamainu
January 8th, 2011, 11:49 PM
My fine, thin, blonde hair shows grease by the end of the day - even if it doesn't feel very greasy, it looks horrible.

I even spent a horrible six months trying to train my scalp to go longer between washes. At the end of it, I could look halfway decent on the second day, as long as my hair was in an updo.

*sigh*

impaciente1981
January 14th, 2011, 03:22 PM
I wash my hair three or four days a week because I have an oily scalp. I would like spacing washed but my hair looks so dirty

Lilli
January 14th, 2011, 05:15 PM
I wash my hair whenever I shower, so that is usually every day for me, but I can go a good two days without washing if I want to. I suspect as it gets longer and takes more time to dry I'll stretch it. My hair just likes to hold onto pony tail marks, or any other kind of mark, and the only way to fix it is to wash it.

My hair never gets oily, but it is so lightweight that all the sticking-up parts from sleeping on it won't come out without washing.

Sweet_Decadence
January 14th, 2011, 05:32 PM
I wash every second day because I workout everyday of the week and thats the longest I can push it before I start feeling really gross.

Gilly
January 14th, 2011, 11:00 PM
I wash daily due to mental hair that rebels and looks filthy the next day!
I have tried stretching washes as I thought it was the right thing to do when I joined here but it gets so greasy on the second day that I would not leave the house, so I wash it daily and have hair that is clean.
I am happy with that, if anyone else is not, well, that's not my problem!:p