PDA

View Full Version : Long hair and safety/helmets

Darkhorse1
April 17th, 2009, 02:00 PM
Hmm.
Gang, I have a weird problem.

Due to the changes in the Equestrian world, helmets have improved 100%. Problem is, they don't really allow me to pile my hair into my helmet anymore--it's not so much the helmet, but how it's fitted to the head.

As a result, putting my hair, which is now almost long enough to sit on, into a folded braid --my concern is if I get any longer, this braid may start pushing my helmet forwards, which is something I can't do.

I can't compramise my safety for long hair, so I'm wondering if any of you know of a net or snood that is strong enough to keep my hair up, without bunching it all in one space??

In the past, I always had a big helmet that accomidated my hair, so it all went up into it like I had mega thick hair (I never coiled it, but just 'smushed' it). Now, the shape of the helmet to my head doesn't allow this.

Runzel
April 17th, 2009, 02:05 PM
Would it be possible to do two braids and wear them underneath your clothes? Right now I can't picture a way that wouldn't look funny, but it's the idea that comes to mind. :shrug: And you'd be able to wear your helmet like a normal person!

Darkhorse1
April 17th, 2009, 02:09 PM
Thanks rapunzel--just tried this and nope, doesn't work. When I tried the helmet on, I had my hair down and into a low braid. I can also do a low ponytail, but for showing, I have to have the hair up. Some riders in the higher levels of competition are chosing to keep long hair loose--probably for the same reason. However, in the discipline I compete in, my hair MUST be tied back.

There is a canadian show jumper who has hair our length and she goes with a single braid down her back. I could probably get away with that in jumping, but not for dressage (I'm an event rider).

My other option is to use my old helmet for dressage, the one I can put my hair up into, but I think we need to use approved helmets now, even in the dressage phase....hmmm.

enfys
April 17th, 2009, 02:09 PM
Runzel, that's whatI was picturing. I tuck my hair in my clothes to keep it safe sometimes. At worst it will look like you forgot to pull it out after you dressed.

Tabitha
April 17th, 2009, 02:12 PM
I've seen large barrettes with a bow and a sort of net bag hanging from them ... would that work?

I used to ride here in England (back when I had short hair) and our riding hats were very tight, with a sort of string adjustment thing inside the hat too.

Anje
April 17th, 2009, 02:21 PM
I was also going to suggest a single braid, started low, down your back, and perhaps loop the tail back up to near the base when your hair got long enough to hit the saddle, but I can understand that not being good for dressage. (No top hats for dressage anymore, huh?)

A snood might be a good choice, and I imagine you could still use those little snap clips (http://www.polyvore.com/cgi/img-thing?.out=jpg&size=l&tid=123246) to secure it under the helmet, so the weight of your hair doesn't drag it down. You might want to contact Lady MacSnood (http://www.snoods.com/) with your specific issue, and perhaps with head measurements and descriptions of the bulk and weight of your hair, so that the snood could hang low enough to accommodate your hair beneath the bottom of your helmet, while still having snug elastic and not being likely to slide off. She may be willing to help and could design something sufficiently formal for dressage.

Islandgrrl
April 17th, 2009, 02:24 PM
I wonder if you can braid it and then coil the braid into a snood? Or does that not really address the issue?

Tabitha
April 17th, 2009, 02:26 PM
Something like these (http://http://www.melaniemoore.com/snoods/snoods1.htm) was what I meant.

Darkhorse1
April 17th, 2009, 07:28 PM
Thanks ladies! I have tried the 'show bow' is what we call them, but the motion from riding makes the barrette slide down due to the weight/movement of my hair.

I think contacting Lady McSnood is my best option-I can braid the hair and use a snood, but the snood I have isn't working as well due to the extra length I've grown. It's a new scenario for me because I've always piled my hair into my helmet. Now, if I do that, it looks obvious and alters the fit of the helmet, so I think a snood is the way to go.

In dressage, as long as hair is in a net, we're ok. Ideally is should be this way for show jumping, but XC we can do what we want.

Flynn
April 17th, 2009, 07:36 PM
You can't do something like a rope braid at the nape of your neck, then double it up and let it wind itself around itself to shorten it up a little more, or something?

CindyLea1
April 17th, 2009, 07:49 PM
Just a thought; have you seen this article? http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/vbjournal.php?do=article&articleid=51

Maybe you could work something out like this, I would imagine the wig cap thing would be pretty cheap, or maybe a large scarf, or nylon, maybe buy a pair of control top panty hose and cut the legs off, or use the legs to tye it on?

When I can ride I ride western, so I have no clue about english riding equipment. Would it be too costly or unsafe to buy a 2nd helmet that fits over an updo?

I hope you can find something that works.

Darkhorse1
April 17th, 2009, 09:17 PM
Thanks cindy! That wig cap might be the best solution. I'll try to get a shot of me and my helmet (side) to show how they fit these days. It's not the size of the helmet, but the newer way they are making them to fit the head better. Any piling of hair would compramise that fit, larger sized or not.

But the wig cap looks like a very strong item, so that may be the best solution. I can just put my hair into a braid or ponytail, cover head and helmet on, done!

Thanks!

Darkhorse1
April 17th, 2009, 09:17 PM
ps-where would I find a wig cap other than ebay?

Flynn
April 17th, 2009, 09:45 PM
I got a good one from a dollar shop, where I also get my hairpins (I like the really long U-shaped ones, and they're the only place that seem to have them...)

Darkhorse1
April 18th, 2009, 07:41 PM
Thanks--I can't use hair pins under a helmet for safety reasons, but I'm sure this wig cap will be strong enough to hold.

I just thought of something else that might work. Panty hose! I'll see if my mom has any old ones ;)

Flynn
April 18th, 2009, 08:26 PM
XO Hairpins under a helmet is a terrible idea! I wasn't meaning to imply that at all! Mostly just trying to illustrate that sometimes you can get the best hair accessories/essentials just from a dollar shop.

Panty hose may well do the trick, too. My cap is a hardy nylon net-style one (but not one of those stupid ultra-fine things), but I know some are an awful lot like pantyhose for your head.