PDA

View Full Version : Is it really a bad idea to share brushes and combs?

Gypsygirl
April 17th, 2009, 11:56 AM
I share vent brushes and combs with my husband all the time- is that really a bad idea? My friend told me to stop doing that because of germs and so on...but I clean them regularly, and I also share pillows and blankets with my husband. Of course we also touch each other's hair and scalp, so I don't think that sharing combs is gross or unhygienic... What do you think? Do you ever share your brushes/combs with anyone? Should I stop doing that? :confused:

CindyLea1
April 17th, 2009, 12:02 PM
We (family of 6) share the same combs and brushes. I do clean then here and there. With us, I figure if one person has a cootie the rest of us already do too.

On the other hand, if one of us were to come home with lice or something like that. I would run out and buy new ones.

ETA: I wouldn't go sharing brushes, combs with any one outside my family. Just hubby and kids.

BunnyBee
April 17th, 2009, 12:02 PM
Unless you or your husband have any kind of scalp problems I don't see a problem with it. I personally wouldn't share combs etc with friends or strangers but i do with my boyfriend..

Anje
April 17th, 2009, 12:05 PM
Eh, I wouldn't worry about it, not with your husband. You already probably share all your germs and stuff anyway. (Heck, DH and I unknowingly used the same toothbrush for a couple weeks because he got confused about which was his!) Yes, you'll come in contact with each other's sebum and any styling products that leave a residue on the combs and brushes, but big deal.

If someone using your brush was getting it coated in product, or got lice, it would be different. So you shouldn't just share your things with the general population. But sharing something with someone you share food with and kiss doesn't strike me as icky.

practikalmagik
April 17th, 2009, 12:10 PM
I got no problem with anyone using my hairbrush or comb. Especially combs actually cos they are dead easy to just tug the hair out after anyway.

I always thought (when I was at school) that the girls who got super prissy about other people using their brush/comb/pen/whatever were doing it more to be attention seeking then anything else. *shrug*

pointydog
April 17th, 2009, 12:11 PM
I never gave it much thought, DH and I use the same everything. We have seperate toothbrushes of course, but sometimes we mess that up too, especially if we just got new ones.

We swap stuff much more intimate than the dust on our hairbrushes....

Gypsygirl
April 17th, 2009, 12:37 PM
Yes, that's how I feel...thanks, girls. ;)

LadyLongLocks
April 17th, 2009, 01:08 PM
I like to keep my brush and comb to myself now. I just feel better about it. The guys in my household get very dirty and it gets in their hair...so they know not to use my stuff....or else!! :rant:

Gypsygirl
April 17th, 2009, 01:33 PM
I love that smily...he's too funny!

Well, if my husband got really dirty at work or something I definitely wouldn't want him to use my things, either. But we work together, anyway, and we don't get too dirty... ;) But I totally understand, LadyLongLocks.

enfys
April 17th, 2009, 01:46 PM
I am selective over whos I'll borrow and who I'll lend to; my sister has gross greasy hair so she's out, but I have friends who are like sisters that I'll share shoes with. And I'm worse about shoes than brushes!

Also I prefer them to pull *out* the hair they leave in before giving it back! The fiance doesn't need a brush but I'd be more than happy to share a brush with him. We share everything else. Ditto future kids. Unless they get lice, in which case I'm shaving their heads.

(n.b. I wouldn't, that's an exageration. But I'd lock away my brushes!)

morguebabe
April 17th, 2009, 02:14 PM
I share with my mom and DB

AJoifulNoise
April 17th, 2009, 02:17 PM
I have my own combs and brushes, but from time to time I use my parents combs and brushes because they are right on the bathroom sink.

The only time I'd be leery is when using combs and brushes after gradeschool children. Around here that can mean lice.

MemSahib
April 17th, 2009, 02:29 PM
Hmmmm... no, we don't share. He has much oilier hair than I do and is responsible for any cleaning his brush gets. Frankly, I don't care to run that brush through my hair. At the same time he tells me my detangling comb "doesn't do anything" because the teeth are widely spread. So we each have our own. Now when our girls were home and young enough for me to do their hair, all we females used the same equipment but my husband has always had his separate. I think he also doesn't like anything which looks "girly" to him and thus has his own manly items for grooming. Funnily enough, although my comb is tortise shell brown, it's "girly" because it's mine!

As far as being "bad to share" goes, if the grooming utensils are kept clean and nobody minds sharing, do whatever you are comfortable with!

Carolyn
April 17th, 2009, 03:09 PM
I don't think it's unsafe unless one person has a hair or scalp issue. I've never done it. I think my mom probably combed my hair with a comb she used but her hair was "done" every week, it was never really combed or brushed at home. I've never shared with Mr Cranky even when we shared a bathroom. I like my own private tools that no one touches but me. We don't share a bathroom at home. When we travel all our things are packed separately. I like my own stuff and my own space.

JamieLeigh
April 17th, 2009, 03:13 PM
Until my kids started public school, I had one community brush that the entire family used. Now they have their own brushes, with their names on them and in different colors, and I and my DH share one. Just to be on the safe side, since there is no telling when one of my children could come home with critters. :rolleyes:

Tap Dancer
April 17th, 2009, 03:20 PM
As long as the other person has a clean scalp and hair, I think it's okay.

viking_quest
April 17th, 2009, 05:19 PM
I think it's fine since it's your DH. I share combs and brushes with my parents and none of us are having horrible consequences.

Rohele
April 17th, 2009, 05:34 PM
Until my kids started public school, I had one community brush that the entire family used. Now they have their own brushes, with their names on them and in different colors, and I and my DH share one. Just to be on the safe side, since there is no telling when one of my children could come home with critters. :rolleyes:

What she said. I live in fear of head lice.

Flynn
April 17th, 2009, 05:45 PM
If you'd wear their shoes, or borrow their toothbrush if you had to, then I'm sure you don't have cause to worry about sharing their hairbrush. I wouldn't hesitate to lend my boyfriend my brush, and from time to time I nick his comb. I'd never let another friend borrow my brush, though.

leahrachelle
April 17th, 2009, 09:39 PM
As long as the person takes care of their hair, I see no problem with it whatsoever.

Ndnlady
April 18th, 2009, 02:29 AM
I share a brush and comb with my daughter and husband, I have never had a problem. We have all shared each others toothbrushes a time or two before also, usually not on purpose though!

KnightsLady
April 18th, 2009, 03:22 AM
I prefer to keep hats, toothbrushes, combs & brushes, shoes & socks, pens & pencils in particular for my own use. (Yes, I have specific pens and pencils which I refill rather than using disposables and I like to have them on hand whenever I need them, instead of having to search all over everywhere. At work I have a cup full of disposable pens and pencils for all of the people that don't care what they grab or who they might be inconveniencing by using someone else's tools. :rant:)

DBF on the other hand doesn't mind what he uses and will use my hats, combs, clothing, shoes, socks, belts (he has also been eyeing my pens and pencils!!!:mad:) etc if I just leave them lying around. He has extra hair oil and uses goop in his hair, so any comb he uses aquires a layer of this stuff on it which makes it particularly unappealing to consider using.

I like having my own stuff. I guess I'm like my father. He never wanted to wear a jumper after I'd borrowed it and was very particular about having his own shampoo etc.

Gypsygirl
April 18th, 2009, 05:16 AM
Thank you so much, everyone! :flower:

Yeesha
April 18th, 2009, 05:16 AM
I share my brushes and combs with my boyfriend and even my best friend, wo is living with us. I don't have a problem with this, normally I only comb before washing my hair... ;)

I do have my own shampoo tought, because the other two don't like it and use 'normal shampoo' instead...^^

Gypsygirl
April 18th, 2009, 05:24 AM
Oh, I could never use my husband's shampoo, either. It's way too strong- he's the man who doesn't know what skin problems are. He could use garage floor cleaner and still be ok. ;)

Periwinkle
April 18th, 2009, 06:54 AM
I've caught lice before from sharing brushes, so I don't do that any more. If it's your husband, though, then surely you'd get them anyway, so I don't see why not.

I didn't think of scalp conditions, but I guess that if one person has one then maybe it'd be best not to share brushes. Otherwise, I can't see a reason not to share.

ravenreed
April 18th, 2009, 08:14 PM
I share one brush with my sons, but my special more expensive ones are for me because I clean the main one more often than my special ones... I would definitely share a brush or comb with my significant other. You are sharing all your germs anyway. I mean, if I would kiss someone, I would probably use their brush, unless one or the other of us had a fungus or lice or some weirdness.