PDA

View Full Version : question for a chemo/radiation patient...

Starla Dear
April 17th, 2009, 10:48 AM
My brother (14) just got done with chemo and radiation about two months ago. His red hair was growing back in but now it's starting to fall out again. Originally his dr said something about his hair follicles getting clogged and or him to use head and shoulders to unclog it and allow the hair to grow in normally. Is his hair falling out because the head and shoulders is too strong? he's using it everyday. Or do you think its still a byproduct of the chemo/radiation even though it ended a few months ago? And if it is just clogged, any shampoo recomendations?

Thanks!

wackyredtangles
April 17th, 2009, 11:02 AM
I really have no idea. I've never heard of hair follicles being clogged. I just wanted to pop in and say that I hope things work out for you and your brother. Chemo at 14? That's a tough break.

marialena
April 17th, 2009, 12:09 PM
My brother (14) just got done with chemo and radiation about two months ago. His red hair was growing back in but now it's starting to fall out again. Originally his dr said something about his hair follicles getting clogged and or him to use head and shoulders to unclog it and allow the hair to grow in normally. Is his hair falling out because the head and shoulders is too strong? he's using it everyday. Or do you think its still a byproduct of the chemo/radiation even though it ended a few months ago? And if it is just clogged, any shampoo recomendations?

Thanks!

First of all I wish your brother the best for his health and I hope that he will feel better soon.

As for the hair problem, if hair loss is not an after effect from the chemo, I wouldn't advice him to use such a harsh shampoo like Head and Shoulders is.

It would be better to start using on his head something milder or just water ( by the time that he has not so much hair in his head for the moment).
It is good to avoid more chemicals ( I'm against them anyway), because his system is already full of them.

And one more advice. Tell him to drink filtered water and to eat, if it is possible, lot of grapes those with the grape stones. Grapes have many antioxidants and help body to get detoxified sooner. :)

Gypsygirl
April 17th, 2009, 12:12 PM
It would be better to start using on his head something milder or just water ( by the time that he has not so much hair in his head for the moment).
It is good to avoid more chemicals ( I'm against them anyway), because his system is already full of them.

I second that!

Best wishes for him, you, and your family. I'll keep you in my thoughts.