PDA

View Full Version : Help for those recently with dry/tanglies

Kirin
April 17th, 2009, 09:59 AM
There has been a few threads around with some of us wanting to shave our heads, litterally. I don't know whats up, however, but a lot of us, myself included have in the past month or so found our hair impossible. Very dry, and extremely tangly, especially in the back, where it just wads up like velcro.

This is not a new problem, but the usual tries, more moisture, oils, clarifying with shampoo, are not putting a dent in the problem. Its excruciatingly frustrating, trying everything and nothing is working.

I have today, fixed this problem, yes, fixed. With an old standby no less but one I avoided due to problems with it in the past. Here I'll state exactly what I did, and exactly what I used so that it might help others from hacking off their lengths!

In a bathroom dixie cup, I filled it halfway up with Walgreens Clear & Natural shampoo, and then added 1/2 teaspoon of baking soda. I mixed it well (it turned into a gel) and let it sit for about ten minutes. Normally my hair really really hates baking soda, but my hair has been so bad I thought I'd take the risk.

In the shower, I shampooed twice, first with one half the mixture, rinsed, then shampooed again with the remainder. I have to tell you, my hair immediately wadded up, tangled and dried out. I was having a panic attack, seriously, but continued onward in the name of science, and of helping out my friends here letting myself be the guinea pig.

I rinsed well, and my hair felt like brillo. (for those not in the U.S. who might not know what brillo is, think steel wool!). For all the dry weirdness, I was pretty amazed I only lost like three hairs.

Okay, so after rinsing I used V05 Kiwi Lime squeeze conditioner, a big handfull, and worked it through my hair. It actually lathered, and I could feel my hair go "slick" instantly. I rinsed it out, and applied a smaller amount of conditioner (same kind) and let that sit on my hair while I finished my shower. Then rinsed.

Towel dried then combed, I was shocked my comb slicked right through my hair. Its nearly dry now, and so SOFT..... like incredibly baby soft. Smooth shiney loveliness. Only my very ends at the back on the length are a teeny bit tangly, but thats normal considering. Its light, I can't stop touching it, I am in love with my hair again!

I hope this helps those of you out there suffering this terrible hair nastiness of tangles from hades! Try it!!

CindyLea1
April 17th, 2009, 10:05 AM
Crap! And I just got out of the shower!

I'm going to give this one a go tomorrow. Do you think it would be ok to use the suave and v05 stuff I have on hand?

Kirin
April 17th, 2009, 10:12 AM
Crap! And I just got out of the shower!

I'm going to give this one a go tomorrow. Do you think it would be ok to use the suave and v05 stuff I have on hand?

I think so, I just used what I had on hand. As long as the shampoo is simple I would think it would still work.

Lamb
April 17th, 2009, 10:22 AM
In other words, you did a darn good clarifying, lathering up twice, and followed with conditioner, right?
It has surpised me as well, but since I have gotten back to simple S&C (every day at that), my hair has gotten better, but it still isn't "good hair." I have clarified - I don't dare to touch the clarifying shampoo any more, it may backfire.
Very good tip though, sometimes you need to do the opposite than what your instincts tell you! :

Anje
April 17th, 2009, 10:49 AM
Yay for clarifying, and for avoiding protein if clarifying doesn't work!

My hair's OK for the most part. The only reason I consider shaving my head is because I love the feel of that short, spiky hair that's only a few weeks old. (Yes, I've rubbed a few heads.) [huge understatement] It would not be a good look for me, though. [/huge understatement]

BlndeInDisguise
April 17th, 2009, 10:54 AM
I had the same experience a while ago. My hair was SO tangly (mostly because I did an SMT wrong :p), so I finally decided to try clarifying. I used some really old Herbal Essence shampoo I had around and clarified. My hair felt awful at first. Stripped and dry. But after using conditioner and letting it dry, it felt so incredibly soft and as untangly as it's been in a long time.

Glad you figured out something that worked! :)