View Full Version : New/old split ends..

wissles
April 17th, 2009, 09:39 AM
I trimmed my hair (½-1 inch) two weeks ago, today I looked through my hair and found a few split ends. Is it possible that my hairdresser missed them (my hair isn't even length, it has layers all over) or do you think my hair has already start to split again? I'm absolutely devastated if they're new! :(
I have been very gentle with my hair since the trimming. Only washed twice (no poo), kept it moisturized and put oil in it. I've also been wearing it up in a bun with a scrunchie most of the time, haven't used heat styling at all.

kdaniels8811
April 17th, 2009, 09:42 AM
Splits happen, more to some of us than others. Keep doing what you are doing in treating your hair gently, it will grow. You are doing the right things but sometimes the length of the hair is damaged and prone to splitting. I would not be too concerned.

Jessclewlow
April 17th, 2009, 09:46 AM
i have exactly the same problem as you sweetie... try doing a bit of search and destroy with a pair of sharpe scissors and snip off the split ends :) - other than that keep on doing what your doing and you will get there,...

my hair is a pain in the ass for splitting... you just have to be patient i guess :)

myotislucifugus
April 17th, 2009, 09:46 AM
I have this problem a lot too... You spend money to get a nice trim, and then for a few weeks you baby your hair with oil and conditioners and then you look at it and find it is loaded with splits. And then you find yourself wondering "what the heck?"

I think the deal is that your hairdresser cut off the amount you requested, but maybe there was a split above that. Remember that different hairs grow at different speeds, so not all of your hairs are at the same length at the same time, and splits can happen further up.

I also have a nasty suspicion that after a trim you pay more attention to your ends, and so are more likely to notice splits. She didn't miss them, and you are treating your hair very well, it's just that, well, "split happens."

Keep up with S&D missions and your hair will be fine.;)

janeytilllie
April 17th, 2009, 09:51 AM
I agree what the others have said.

I get splits all the time. So I do a 5 minute S+D every night followed by coconut oil on the ends.

Everythnig you are doing is good :thumbsup:

wissles
April 17th, 2009, 12:50 PM
Is it okay to do S&D with nail scissors? they are sharp, but I don't know if they're sharp enough.

jivete
April 17th, 2009, 01:15 PM
I wouldn't use nail clippers, I'd buy some scissors for trimming. Walmart even has some that I really like. They're less than $10.

Arctic
April 17th, 2009, 01:34 PM
Maybe the hairdresser had dull scissors?

wissles
April 17th, 2009, 01:39 PM
Maybe the hairdresser had dull scissors?
Maybe.. but I don't really think so, there's only a few of them. And I've also noticed white dots, and you don't get white dots from dull scissors.. she might have trimmed too little.. but I'll keep trimming every 2 month and see if my hair gets better.
But I'm so sick of it. :( I just want long healthy hair..

JamieLeigh
April 17th, 2009, 04:24 PM
If you've been using -cones in the past frequently, and are just now switching over to -cone free, then you are likely to notice more damage, as the -cones tend to cover it up and give you the illusion of silky, shiny hair. As the silicone that was covering the hair shaft begins to be washed away, the splits and damage come more out of hiding. That's what I'm sure has accounted for most of the damage I've found after I've started babying my hair more and have cut out much of the -cones.

Carolyn
April 17th, 2009, 06:34 PM
It's very likely that each hair on your head wasn't long enough to be trimmed when you had your last trim. You got rid of the splits and bad ends that were within the 1 1/2" that was cut off. A lot of people and me included, have splits to some degree all the way up the length. You will need to take care of those splits with S & D. Sallys has good hair scissors. Wait until they go on sale and get a good pair.

spidermom
April 17th, 2009, 06:36 PM
My hair loves to split, and it happens on shorter/newer hairs at least as often as it happens on the oldest/longest hairs. No matter how much my stylist trims off, there will always be more splits above that.

Most of my hair is good, though, don't get me wrong. I do my best to take care of it and try not to let the splits bother me.

leahrachelle
April 17th, 2009, 10:10 PM
I would say your hairdresser probably missed it then.

wissles
April 18th, 2009, 12:53 AM
It would be such a comfort if she did miss them, I don't want my "healthy" (still trimming off damage) hair to split again after just two weeks. So I hope that's the case then.
About the hair scissors. This is probably a really stupid question :rolleyes: But with "Sallys" do you mean hair salons or is there some place called Sallys? I'm from Sweden so I'm not always familiar with everything you write here. :p

Arctic
April 18th, 2009, 01:04 AM
Sally's is a beauty supply store chain in the US.

I think you'll be able to find good hair scissors with less than 10 euros, but there are also REALLY expensive ones, but we don't need those. They just have to be sharp and not used in else than hair. Some members use embroidery scissors and I've seen some mention using nail scirssors too (new, sharp, not used on anything else) and also mens moustache scissors. But real hair scissors are a good investement.

It's practically impossible to get all the splits, they are not only at the ends. S&D really helps to get the ones trimming doesn't. But everytime one doesn't cut into the healthy hair above the split end/damage, the hair will split again, unfortunately.

Samitra
April 18th, 2009, 01:12 AM
It would be such a comfort if she did miss them, I don't want my "healthy" (still trimming off damage) hair to split again after just two weeks. So I hope that's the case then.
About the hair scissors. This is probably a really stupid question :rolleyes: But with "Sallys" do you mean hair salons or is there some place called Sallys? I'm from Sweden so I'm not always familiar with everything you write here. :p

You can find hair scissors at Clas Ohlson that are quite cheap (the one from Fiskars is 139 SEK, and the other brand (their own I think) is 98 SEK. Fiskars is a well known brand, and they do really good scissors. I believe I have seen hair scissors at Kicks aswell. Don't know the price though. If you don't have Kicks or Clas Ohlson in your town, Clas Ohlson has a shop online aswell. And it wouldn't surprise me if even big grocery shops like ICA Maxi and Coop Forum has hair scissors aswell. It shouldn't be hard to find, even if we don't have a Sallys around the corner :)