PDA

View Full Version : Beginners' Luck and Lost Updo Skills

AprilElf
April 17th, 2009, 03:58 AM
Are there any updos or hair styles that you've done in the past, but can't seem to do anymore because you've 'lost' the technique?

I don't mean not being able to do styles anymore because of a difference in the length of your hair. But rather a lack of practice, so you have to re-learn the techniques and steps. Or maybe it was just beginners' luck that you were able to do the style the first time, and have not been able to replicate it. Ha ha! :rolleyes:

I tried to do an Equilibrium Bun today - an updo I haven't actually done for a year. And I found my hands have lost the feel for this particular bun. Quite frustrating. :( I'm going to have to watch a tutorial video and put in some practice to re-learn this one!

practikalmagik
April 17th, 2009, 04:05 AM
For years I couldn't do a French plait. I learnt how to do a Dutch braid instead and that was all I could do. Now I've learnt (thank you dreamweaver braiding) how to do a french plait too hurrah.....except....now I can't seem to get my fingers to do a Dutch anymore :rolleyes:

Sometimes I think you can "overthink" when trying to do a style and end up buggering the whole thing up. Usually it's best to do something else then try again another day.

Re-reading tutorials and watching YouTube vids certainly helps. I think Hypnotica has an equilibrium bun tutorial around (correct me if I'm wrong).

Phalaenopsis
April 17th, 2009, 06:19 AM
A split knot and a chinese bun :confused:
I can braid, but don't ask me about different buns, I suck at them. :o I was so proud I could do those two and now suddenly my fingers get tangled up :silly:

Isilya
April 17th, 2009, 06:35 AM
I have that too, sometimes. The most recent cases were the hypno bun and the "bun that stays". I did those right the first time. The "bun that stays" decided I wasn't worthy and failed me ever since. I could duplicate the Hypno bun a couple of times after my first attempt, but now... I don't know, I can't get the split part right anymore. It forms an extra poof at the top for some reason :wail:

amaiaisabella
April 17th, 2009, 06:54 AM
Definitely! I used to love the Gibson Tuck when my hair was really damaged and I needed to tuck it away every day. Now that most of the damage has grown out and been cut away, I can't do the style anymore :(

embee
April 17th, 2009, 07:13 AM
Huh... Tell me about it. My profile pic says it all. I've not been reliably able to get my hair to look like that since that pic was taken, and I'd been wearing that style for months. Gah. :(

AprilElf
April 18th, 2009, 07:04 AM
Ah, thanks gals! Well, at least I'm not the only one. :p

AmyJorgensen
April 18th, 2009, 07:24 AM
I had that problem with the Lazy Wrap Bun. I got it right the first time and then it took me about an hour to duplicate it nicely. It is still sort of hard because I have short fingers and thick hair.

enfys
April 18th, 2009, 01:06 PM
Huh... Tell me about it. My profile pic says it all. I've not been reliably able to get my hair to look like that since that pic was taken, and I'd been wearing that style for months. Gah. :(

I just confused profile pic and avatar. I sat staring...but that's a kitty...

We'll see when I get back to my old lengths if I have a clue what I'm doing...

embee
April 19th, 2009, 01:59 PM
I just confused profile pic and avatar. I sat staring...but that's a kitty...

Hee! You made me laugh! I know what you mean though, there are so many terms for the different pics and parts and places on the LHC.

If I were as beautiful as Zeus kitty, that would have been *amazing*. He was a real beauty, with a loving heart to match.

jasper
June 24th, 2010, 08:11 AM
I was thinking of starting a thread like this today, but a quick search found me some instant commiseration in the form of an existing thread. :cheese:

For me, it I can't say I've lost skills, because I would need to have the skills first! Beginners luck is my gripe. I tried to learn to french braid my own hair, but I lucked into a respectable dutch braid by mistake. Too bad I could not repeat it.

Yesterday I tried a perimeter lace braid and it worked. Today, not. Three tries later, and I think I am out of luck- and my hair needs a rest.

FrannyG
June 24th, 2010, 10:03 AM
I have that happen constantly. One day I'll do an updo or a braid for practice, and it's almost perfect, but when I really need it to look good, it's as though I've never done it before.

Angeletti
June 24th, 2010, 10:07 AM
for me it would be the fairytale braid, there are so many little steps to it that I forget all the time and have to go back to watching the youtube video if I ever want to do it again... what would I do without video tutorials : )

Medievalmaniac
June 24th, 2010, 10:09 AM
French braiding. I pretty much have always sucked at it, but if I don't work at it then I can't do one at ALL. I wish I could, but I'm really French braid challenged. I can manage a sloppy-looking one if I practice several times first, but if I go for a while without trying, then I end up with a Dutch braid at best, and a nondescript, something-or-other-that-somewhat-resembles-a-braid at worst.

heidihug
June 24th, 2010, 10:23 AM
The French rope braid. I do rope braids on a ponytail all the time. But I've only ever been able to do the French version a couple of times. Most of the time when I try to do it my fingers try start doing a regular french braid and I get all messed up. [<<sigh>>]

moominhapa
June 24th, 2010, 10:50 AM
I'm another one who used to be able to do a Dutch braid very easily, and then I got into doing French braids for a while and now Dutch braiding is suddenly hard! I can do it, but I used to be much better.

Loreley
June 24th, 2010, 10:56 AM
I wanted to do a rope braid a few weeks ago but I couldn't do it. I forgot how it's done. :p

*Aoife*
June 24th, 2010, 12:51 PM
The 10 second bun. I tried it out today and it held alrightish. I finished my chores and when I was leaving the house I decided to redo it. I tried 16 times but it wouldn't work for me again :(
Edit: Ta Da!!! Guess what style my hair is in now? I did it! Only it's held up with a red pen because all my hairsticks are downstairs and I'm too lazy to go get them.

jasper
June 25th, 2010, 08:46 AM
Well, it is a new day and I am going to pretend to be a beginner again. Wish me luck!

spidermom
June 25th, 2010, 09:00 AM
Some days I feel like all my fingers have turned into sausages and I can't get ANYTHING to work.

LaurelSpring
June 25th, 2010, 09:14 AM
This is me! Over the winter I couldnt do any of the fancier updos and buns I had been learning. I mostly just wore my hair in a butterly comb every day so that I could get a scarf and hat on and off without alot of fuss. Once it got warm again I found that I had forgot most of them. I have picked a few back up but mostly have been lazy and havent relearned them all. I have picked up a few that I didnt do before. Because I am unemployed at the moment I am not as motivated because no one sees my hair now. I think when I get back to work I will have the incentive to be more creative again I hope.