PDA

View Full Version : What essential items would you advise for a newbie hair grower

Jessclewlow
April 17th, 2009, 03:24 AM
ok.... after masses of you responded to my thread with my million and one questions.... i thought this may be useful for people starting out...
what items would you advise a newbie to get when starting to care for their hair.....

so far i have got:

virgin coconut oil ( but you can get another oil if you prefer)
boar hair brush
sharpe hair dressing scissors - used for hair cutting only!
elastic bobbles ( without the little metal bit)

anyone care to add anything to my little list of goodies? xx

Isilme
April 17th, 2009, 03:37 AM
a wide tooth comb, since that brush cannot be used to detangle with (trust me, I tried when I was a newbie :scared: ) ehm, what more, knowledge that all hairs doesn't like oils and that the oils can be used for skincare instead, so you haven't bought it for no good if your hair turns to straw from it. And maybe a nice gentle shampoo. And if you like ficcares and aren't afraid of emptying your wallet they are an investment!:D
ETA, just wanted to tell you that there is a newbie article in the article's section:)

kdaniels8811
April 17th, 2009, 03:37 AM
#What kind of shampoo do you use? I went from cones to coneless, now no shampoo at all. I use indian herbs - smells heavenly and does wonders for my hair! and an occasional dairy whip when I am in too much of a hurry to mix up the herb pack. Take things slow, this can be overwhelming! Treating your hair gently, minimizing cleansing and combing/brushing will all help on your hair journey. I will write more later, on my way to work!

Jessclewlow
April 17th, 2009, 03:43 AM
ah yes... i have a wide tooth comb :D
so you say gentle shampoo.... without sounding like a thicko here.... would baby shampoo like johnsons work??? they have no harsh chemicals etc as they are obviously for baby hair....
but im maybe guessing they wouldnt contain all the neutriants older hair needs?

nayver
April 17th, 2009, 04:07 AM
#What kind of shampoo do you use? I went from cones to coneless, now no shampoo at all. I use indian herbs - smells heavenly and does wonders for my hair! and an occasional dairy whip when I am in too much of a hurry to mix up the herb pack. Take things slow, this can be overwhelming! Treating your hair gently, minimizing cleansing and combing/brushing will all help on your hair journey. I will write more later, on my way to work!

Hi, I'm trying Indian herbs (shikakai-amla) but I'm quite confused about the instructions of using :S Can you help me with this? I'm currently no pooing.

Lamb
April 17th, 2009, 04:40 AM
ah yes... i have a wide tooth comb :D
so you say gentle shampoo.... without sounding like a thicko here.... would baby shampoo like johnsons work??? they have no harsh chemicals etc as they are obviously for baby hair....
but im maybe guessing they wouldnt contain all the neutriants older hair needs?

Baby shampoo is not exactly gentle. It is formulated not to hurt a child's eyes or skin, but its PH is not very hair-friendly. (My hair hates baby shampoo, and I tried several kinds.)
Do a search for baby shampoo here, you will find lots of results which explain the science better than I can.

Arctic
April 17th, 2009, 04:58 AM
I would add a clarifying shampoo to the list, as well as conditioner (any conditioner your hair likes). Wide toothed, seamless comb, some hair "toys" that are hair friendly so you can put your hair up and away from your face. Bag of patience, box of gentle handling and arms full of love. :flower:

Heavenly Locks
April 17th, 2009, 05:05 AM
How about a satin or silk pillowcase :)

It's on my newbie list of must haves!

(also, some honey and aloe gel are nice to have for the SMT (snowy's moisture treatment) )

Carolyn
April 17th, 2009, 05:08 AM
I second the advice on staying away from the baby shampoo. I won't recommend brands since I see you are in the UK and I am in the USA. I'd go with something coneless to start. Look for a nice rich moisturizing conditioner. Have you thought about CO (conditioner only) washing? There are a boatload of threads on it if you are interested. I believe it's one of the things that's helped me the most.

Phalaenopsis
April 17th, 2009, 06:24 AM
My best tip ever: rinsing with cold water:rockerdud
And squeeze your hair out when wet, but do not twist it.
Pad your hair with your towel, but don't rub with it

Those are the easiest tips too, I think :)

Jessclewlow
April 17th, 2009, 06:25 AM
conditioner only???? surely that dosnt get rid of the oil in your hair etc though?

Islandgrrl
April 17th, 2009, 06:37 AM
conditioner only???? surely that dosnt get rid of the oil in your hair etc though?

Oh, it totally does. For me, anyway. CO was one of my most successful experiments as a newbie. I still rely heavily on CO.

Heavenly Locks
April 17th, 2009, 06:42 AM

It really does! :D

Oh, it totally does. For me, anyway. CO was one of my most successful experiments as a newbie. I still rely heavily on CO.

Yes :) I agree! I have been CO for 6 weeks now.

morguebabe
April 17th, 2009, 07:06 AM
Wide tooth comb
Metal Free hair ties.
SIlk pillow case.

Anje
April 17th, 2009, 07:29 AM
My list is similar:

Wide-tooth comb (ideally a seamless one made of a non-static-y material like horn, wood, or bakelite, rather than plastic)
Conditioner (I like silicone-free, protein-free conditioners, like many of the Suave Naturals products, but your needs may be different)]
Hair ties (ideally not just metal-free, but also lacking a glued or melted seam. Better ties are woven in a circular form -- these don't need to be expensive. I pick them up ~30 for $1 at the dollar store, and those terrycloth/towelling ties work well.)

When your hair gets long enough to bun fairly easily, I would add "smooth, high quality hair sticks" to the list, since these are my most frequently used item. Ketylos are nice and appeal to my non-flashy sensibilities.
ETA: Honey, clear (pain-reliever- and alcohol-free) aloe gel, hair oil you like, scissors specifically for cutting hair, and a silk or satin pillowcase or sleep bonnet are also on the "good to have" list, but I could make due with nothing but a comb, conditioner, and a hair stick.