PDA

View Full Version : How do people react to your hair?

Wicked Princess
April 17th, 2009, 12:37 AM
I'm fairly new here, so please excuse me if a similar question has been asked before!

How do most people react to your hair when it's long? And has anyone ever acted negatively towards it? (This doesn't include over-zealous hair dressers, hehe)

When I was a little girl, my hair was thick, silky, and down to my ankles (thank you, mother, for your wonderful filipino hair genes!). I remember loving having it that long because it made me feel like a princess. But I also remember a lot of my schoolmates being annoying and coming up and touching it a lot. They never teased me for it, or mistreated me in any way, but it was also very annoying having that many people want to "pet" me!

My hair is fairly long now, by what can be considered "normal standards" - it's down to my lower back - and when I wear it loose, I still occassionally get people asking if they can touch it.

Does this happen to anyone else?

vindo
April 17th, 2009, 12:47 AM
In public I tend to get compliments following by a "did you ever cut your hair?" Or "how long did it take you?", or this one "how do you do it?"...
all are equally funny...:p

I never had hair longer than this though. My past record was waist+ and then I went for a shorter cut.

janeytilllie
April 17th, 2009, 02:05 AM
Have a had a mixed bag of comments both negetive and postive. I have very thin ends so some people tend to be negetive about them :rolleyes:

But on the other hand I have had postive comments on my hair :D

When I was younger I had very longhair to my butt. I would have my girl classmates always wanting to brush and have ago on hairstyles with it.

Phalaenopsis
April 17th, 2009, 02:16 AM
When I was younger, it were mostly positive comments. They mostly said that it was so thick and fluffy.:)

Yulivee
April 17th, 2009, 02:21 AM
I often get compliments about my hair, especially older people tend to like it. One day an older man (like my grandpa) just stood next to me at the market looked for a while and said "so beautiful, really" touched my shoulder and left... I was a bit confused then but yes, it made me happy. :p

bte
April 17th, 2009, 03:29 AM
As a man with a ponytail, I get quite a lot of comments, most of them positive, but I am aware of people who are quite clearly too polite to say something negative (that includes my mother!!). I am sure that you will get lots of positive comments which will be welcome, but ignore the negative ones, which are usually driven by jealousy.

Carolyn
April 17th, 2009, 04:51 AM
I don't get much reaction at all. Everyone I know is used to it being long. They aren't interested in my hair or hair at all. The few comments I have had have been from older ladies or young girls. All have been positive. I've never had a negative comment made to my face. I've been growing my hair for almost 10 years and I don't think I've had more than half a dozen comments in all that time. I've never had a male comment to me.

morguebabe
April 17th, 2009, 07:12 AM
I find older (grey haired) people especially men make postive comments about it.

Sam-I-Am
April 17th, 2009, 07:41 AM
Mostly people just state the obvious: "Your hair is SO LONG!!"

We recently started going to a new church, though, and it's a much younger, trendier church, so I've got one of the longest manes, if not THE longest, in the church. One day I had let my hair down and was going upstairs and I heard a gasp. The lady behind me on the stairs touched my hair and exclaimed over it. The gasp was the best part of that interaction though ;)

neon-dream
April 17th, 2009, 07:50 AM
I get people touching my hair a lot, especially when I go to gigs and stand in queues.
I don't understand why they think they can just come over and touch it, but never mind. It's more the colour than anything I think, since my hair isn't so long.
I get comments on my shine a lot, too.

Anje
April 17th, 2009, 07:52 AM
Mine's about the length in my sig, or an inch or so longer, so still in the "normal" realm. I've had nothing but positive reactions, or a few comments to the effect of "your hair is long!" (I consider these to be positive, just like my "you're a kitty!" feline-affirmation comments to my cats are positive.) It's only been recent that people notice that my hair is long, though. The color is what usually gets comments and reminiscences from little old ladies.

Recently, in expressing frustration at repeated experimental failures to my advisor, I made some comment that I was ready to tear my hair out. His response was something like, "Don't do that! Your hair's great!"

morguebabe
April 17th, 2009, 08:09 AM

;)

I always want to look them and say "You're wearing a Blue shirt!" or something else obvious about them.

spidermom
April 17th, 2009, 08:41 AM
I don't get much comment one way or the other.

Peter
April 17th, 2009, 08:48 AM
I rarely get comments about my hair nowadays. If I meet someone new, sometimes they'll say my hair is nice. :) I used to get countless people telling me to cut it but that's stopped.

Themyst
The usual question is, "How long did it take you to grow it?"

Men don't usually approach me about it, but I see them looking. ;)

Women are the ones who come up to me and want to start touching it. There was a woman in a drug store once who actually rushed over and started lifting it up and pawing it once, in the middle of it all she asked me if it was okay! Everyone in the checkout line was looking - Talk about wanting to beam up quickly.:rolleyes:

Most women make the comment that they are so sorry they cut their hair.

viking_quest
My hair isn't even long and people either tell me they love it or that I need to cut it but I have one friend that tells me he wants me to grow to tailbone length. I love him.

Themyst
April 17th, 2009, 08:49 AM

That is hard to believe. You have fairy tale hair!

blondecat
April 17th, 2009, 08:59 AM
I get comments as to the colour and the lenght. Ususally the comments are good.

I have been 'Petted' a number of times, too.

Today was funny, I was wearing 2 pig tail plaits, the teenage girl serving me said "it's soooo long' and then showed me her BSL hair and said something to the affect of her hair getting too long , needing a cut, since i's in the way.

And she was still checking out my hair. [I still wasn't too sure what she was actually thinking]

I just said "oh, my hair doesn't bother me at all, if it does, I just put it up into an bun or updo.

And she just said OK, cool. ??

I am still not too sure exactly wether she liked it or not.

http://i10.photobucket.com/albums/a125/reddog1964/DSCF1675.jpg

heidi w.
April 17th, 2009, 09:46 AM
Here are the top 3 responses:

Your hair is loooong! (I reply, "It's short to me!)

Have you ever cut it? OR Have you ever had short hair? OR when was the last time you cut it?

How long did it take to grow it?

heidi w.
ETA little kids always are amazed and stare....up to about age 10 or so.....and the really little kids squeel and want to touch it. My favorite kiddie comment to date, "Mom, look! That lady has a tail!" Close runner up, "Mommy, look! A princess!"

AJoifulNoise
April 17th, 2009, 09:58 AM
Family members and people close to me do tend to touch my hair (on the rare occasion that it is down and accessible) while going on about how long it is.

People who don't know me as well, are put off by me "don't touch me" vibe. Most of the time. When I went to Ohio last year, to get fitted for a dress for my best friend's wedding, I let down my hair to see how it would look down with the dress... And the lady helping us was stunned and went on about how long it was and how did I get it all up in that bun. But, she didn't touch. It was very flattering.

The only negative comment I've had was from my stepmom in September of 2007. She said my ends were getting thin and I needed a trim. At the time I took it offensively. But, she was right. And eventually I did trim and my hair is better for it. Now she can't stop herself from touching it if I walk by her with it down. :D

RedStripe
April 17th, 2009, 10:03 AM
It hasn't happened much lately, but I sometimes get comments on the color. I've had women come up to me in the street and say, "I love your hair color!"

Even though my hair is not extraordinarily long (not even to waist yet, but getting there), it's long by most people's perceptions, and since I wear it up most of the time, people generally aren't aware of how long it is. When they do see it, they often react with surprise. I went to a dance class the other day and on impulse left my hair down, and a friend who came in a bit later said she almost didn't recognize me. "All I saw was this really long hair!"

MsBubbles
April 17th, 2009, 10:04 AM
My hair isn't even long and people either tell me they love it or that I need to cut it

Well that's just weird! I guess some people need to tell somebody to do something at some point during the day, I can't imagine why else 19" long hair would need cutting?! You are 16, so perhaps it's just the way 16 year olds interact. I can't remember back that far...:)

LadyLongLocks
April 17th, 2009, 11:29 AM
I hardly wear it down in public but when I do I get lots of stares. Most ask if I ever cut it,how I wash it, how long it takes to wash and dry, how long I have been growing it and if it gets in the way. Most comments are good. When I wear it down in public, I have it in front of me over one shoulder either loose or in a braid. This way I feel it is more protected and I get to see peoples faces as they glimpse. I was missing a lot wearing it behind me, as my BF told me. He gets a kick out of the peoples faces and double takes. He would tell me later since I missed it or was not paying attention. Most people just stare, but a few talk to me and ask questions. Lots of ladies tell me how they once had it long.
People assume that long hair is soooo difficult and I spend so much time and effort. No use to tell them it's easy for me. (knee length)

JessicaVonMaim
April 17th, 2009, 11:47 AM
Mostly I've just gotten the whole "Your hair is so long!". Which isn't really positive or negative :p. However my roommate always comes over to my desk and plays with my hair when I am working on stuff, which I actually don't find annoying. I think I have gotten more comments on the red color I dyed my hair for so long (a lot of them were very...perverse).

Islandgrrl
April 17th, 2009, 11:54 AM
I do get occasional comments - 98% of which are positive, so I appreciate that. My hair isn't so long, mostly I get comments on the color - it's apparently rare to see a redhead with long hair in real life. Not too many people attempt to touch - might have something to do with the "want a bloody stump?" stare, I'm not sure. :silly:

When my hair was still knee length, however, people would randomly and routinely pet my hair when I wore it loose, or in a braid, and like LadyLongLocks, I got heaps of gawkers pretty much wherever I went.

The closest I come lately to wearing my hair down is in a braid, which IMO, is not so impressive. :)

Forever_Sophie
April 17th, 2009, 11:59 AM
Definitely more comments than asking to touch. One time, I was at a restaurant and an elderly lady came from behind and was petting my hair LOL When I looked and saw her, she was so sweet and complimentary. Oh! In gr. 10 a supply teacher did the same thing and kept saying, "Pretty hair, pretty hair" :)

BTW, did you choose your name b/c of the musical, Wicked??

MemSahib
April 17th, 2009, 12:11 PM
I get all kinds of reactions. They're mostly negative in this part of the country but there are some positives thrown in here and there. I've had it tugged when in a ponytail or braid by people old enough to be my parents and who obviously think I will like tugging for some reason (rolling eyes), but it distinctly irritates me. Mainly I'm left alone with no handling of my hair — maybe because I'm a grandma myself and sporting a considerable amount of grey?

Euphony
April 17th, 2009, 12:16 PM
I get a lot of positive comments, either from the length (though it's not that long yet, or from the fullness of the ends, the color, the shine etc. I got a nice gasp at work from one of the people that come in, she followed me out to my car since I was giving her something, as soon as I walked in the sun she gasped and mentioned the color :D

Lately I've had young boys 10 and under, stare at it and stare and stare - I'm not a fan of children really so it's a bit bothersome to me.

I've had women grab the ends, always the ends - I've found that odd. But my ends tend to flip up so it's probably easiest to grab.

Men tend to stare at it somewhat mesmerized - it's funny and sometimes slightly creepy.

I've been asked if I donate it :rolleyes:

I've been told it grows fast, this is always a comment from a woman that I know that wants long hair but her's grows ~too slow~. They reevaluate when I explain how fast hair grows on average and mine grows at a rate slightly below average, though I haven't seen any of them trying to grow theirs out yet.

Gypsygirl
April 17th, 2009, 12:27 PM
I usually wear my hair down, so yes, I do get a lot of comments. Most of them are nice comments- but a couple of weeks ago a woman said to me, I really think you should donate some of that hair to "Locks of Love"!!! My husband answered that one for me, and not in a very nice way...then he put his arm around me and we walked off. :crush:

bte
April 17th, 2009, 12:33 PM
I think men hesitate to comment on the hair of women they don't know, or hardly know, in case the comment is mistaken for a pass. I know I've often been tempted to comment but have decided not to for that reason - I don't want to freak someone out.

sahiba
April 17th, 2009, 12:33 PM
No comments . I have till now got no comments , compliments or even a stare , I have got nothing yet.:( And frankly , I've given up hope as well.

Gypsygirl
April 17th, 2009, 12:35 PM
Bte, I think it depends on the situation...but a compliment given with a smile is always great! :)

mira-chan
April 17th, 2009, 12:55 PM
Same. I get a compliment that's a neutral-ish, positive once ever couple of years. I go get the yearly reminiscence over it by my elderly women relatives of when they had hair like that when they come over for Thanksgiving.

Gypsygirl
April 17th, 2009, 01:36 PM
That might have something to do with where you are, though- NYC is packed with all kinds of interesting and different-looking people, so you don't stand out as much.

squiggyflop
April 17th, 2009, 01:47 PM
well they usually just react to the color.. they always say the same thing.. 'oh is that your real hair color?' and when i say no they always say 'oh well it looks so natural because you have redhead coloring' or something like that.. and if the person is being pleasant and not at all creepy i might explain that my natural color is auburn and that i intensify with henna..

but on days where i wear my hair down i sometimes get complements and the regular 'oh you should wear your hair down all the time' comments.. people just dont seem to understand why i wear my hair up most of the time.. darnit its just too hard to get out the tangles!

Wicked Princess
April 17th, 2009, 02:33 PM
Oh my goodness...I wake up this morning and check the boards and I have four pages of replies, haha. Please forgive me for not being able to respond to all of you at once!

bte - You bring up an interesting point...while I wouldn't mistake a compliment over hair as a pass, I know a lot of women might. This is sad, as I'm pretty sure all of us would welcome those compliments! Or maybe that's just me... Once, I had a rather attractive man walk up to me and say, "I just wanted to tell you that you have some of the most beautiful hair I've ever seen." before walking away. It was so surreal and strange but it made my month!

Gypsygirl - your husband's reaction to someone saying you should cut your hair is fantastic :) It's one thing to have a great man, but it's wonderful when you have a great man who is equally protective of your hair! I doubt I would have reacted well to such a suggestion, either!

spidermom - Okay...I'm a little surprised that you're every move isn't blocked by people in your way, showering you with hair-compliments. Especially if you wear it down often. Your avatar picture is one of the pictures I was inspired by when I first started browsing the forums! You're hair is beautiful :)

Forever_Sophie - It's pretty hard to tell little old ladies to stop touching your hair, isn't it? Especially when they're so polite about it, and it seems to bring them so much pleasure to touch it. Perhaps when I'm older, I'll take advantage of it to wander up to the next generations of long-haired beauties, hehe! And no, I didn't choose my screen name from Wicked but I loved that musical! Elphaba is my idol! It's a far cry from the book, but I actually prefer the musical!

heidi w - Oooooh! I hope to one day have someone say, "Look! A princess!" to me, haha! If you're anything like me, that would have made your year! I love the way your hair looks in your signature. I'm simultaneously envious and motivated!

Sahiba! Don't give up on recieving compliments! I wonder if it's the are that you live in? Maybe everyone around you is crazy! Assumptions are normally unwise, but I'm going to make one and think that you take excellent care of your hair (based on your membership to this community). I haven't seen pictures of your hair, but I'm sure it's very lovely indeed :)

Keep that hair long and lovely, everyone! And post pictures! I'm a newbie, and they help inspire me!

Euphony
April 17th, 2009, 02:47 PM
I just noticed you are in WA, where at? I'm north of Bellingham.

JamieLeigh
April 17th, 2009, 03:17 PM
I get a variety of reactions, from people wanting to pet it, to people suggesting I donate it to cancer patients for wigs. I've never gotten any disgusted or bad reactions, so far only compliments (in my earshot anyway). It's really annoying when people want to touch it though. I'm always freaking out on the inside and I say in my head: "Oh my, where have your hands been?" :rolleyes:

Torrin Paige
April 17th, 2009, 03:51 PM
I get comments when it's down, or in a particularly nifty style. I also get a lot of people wanting to touch...which I don't mind at all, so long as they ask first. It's mostly little girls who ooh and aah over "princess hair" or older ladies who lament about their hair in their youth...and I always tell them to grow it back out as they've hit that awesome age where they can do whatever they want and tell others to lump it. So I get mostly positive comments.

However, I was at a business recently and the lady checking me out commented that her hair used to look like mine but it just got in the way so she cut it. Having heard this type of story before I just kind of smiled and murmured and nodded my head...and then she had the nerve to tell me that I should cut mine because it was much easier to manage. The woman in question was sporting a mullet, thank you very much. So, as I stood there kind of flabbergasted at a stranger telling me what I should do with my hair, the man behind me said, "No way in he#@! Her hair is awesome and don't you be putting crazy ideas in her head!" I turned and smiled at him, said thank you, and told him not worry as my goal was knee length and I wouldn't be cutting it anytime soon. He reminded me so much of my hubby who when anyone mentions scissors or salons or cutting to me just screams, "No!" very loudly. It's nice having a man who supports my mane...and nice finding a random one who does as well. :oP

lacereza
April 17th, 2009, 04:10 PM

Feline
April 17th, 2009, 04:26 PM
Most of the comments I get are positive from both men and women. Once in a while I get some woman (it's always a woman) asking/telling me about Locks of Love; assuming they haven't been too rude about it, I usually tell them that I can do more for sick kids by writing a check, and let it go at that. The funniest comment I got was from a young girl, out grocery shopping with her mother; she looked at me, and went "look at that lady! Her hair is down to her butt!" Meanwhile poor Mom looks very embarrassed :oops: . Out of the mouths of babes!

enfys
April 17th, 2009, 04:33 PM
Well I haven't had compliments on my hair in ages, but I blame that on my fantastic, brightly coloured wardrobe; people can't shower me with too many compliments.

I don't like grown up men commenting on my hair. The ones the same age as my dad. Blech. But I once had a boy chase after me out of college to compliment my hair and ask for tips to growing his own. He did too, to waist.

I would so love to be called a princess; that's what my name means. I've been mistaken for a mermaid though. I was chuffed by that one.

I too give off that "touch my hair, lose your limb" vibe and I would go nuts at people touching it. Some of you are so patient!

Eryka
April 17th, 2009, 05:04 PM
I've gotten the "princess hair" comment from a little girl. Dad was embarrassed because he was looking at my hair as well but for other reason than a fairytale. :wink:

Jules diamond
April 17th, 2009, 10:39 PM
Most of the comments I get are positive. Once in a while an older family member tells me to cut it short (for some reason none of them like long hair). Recently my siblings have started to notice it. My younger brother says I'm going to look like the lady on the starbucks sign soon,.:D My little sister told me my hair was pretty the other day when I was combing it! It made my week. Someday I want to get the princess comment too!

Wicked Princess
April 17th, 2009, 10:42 PM
Euphony, I live in Seattle, so you're not overly far from me! I went to the university in Bellingham for two years and love that city - it's beautiful!

Torrin Paige - I'm glad the majority of your compliments have been positive. I must admit that I'm a little afraid of having someone tell me to cut my hair, as I am plagued by a rather...uh...fiesty demeanor...which when challenged usually results in another person running away. I can't help it...I just feel that some people need a...stern...word. That rude lady that talked to you being one of them!

As I grow my hair even longer than it is now, I'll probably be the type that wears it in a bun, or braided bun, all the time. That is...if I ever lose my ineptitude at styling my hair (I can't even braid it :confused:). Hopefully I'll have people compliment my hair accessories, though!

Flynn
April 17th, 2009, 10:45 PM
I was setting up to do a lab demonstration/tutoring session for a bunch of high schoolers the other day, and the academic in charge of the session asked if she could have my hair when I was done with it... XD

The only people who touch my hair (other than my boyfriend, but I think that goes without saying) are my uncles, who only do it because they know I don't like it, and some hobo who followed me to class one day, and gave me a cake.

I don't think I've ever had negative hair comments from a hairdresser... (other than in something of the opposite way one trying to discourage me from cutting it all off -- the first time, he simply wouldn't and just cut to half-way between chin and shoulder length -- above the frizzy part, and told me to "think about it"!) Both the barbers at our local barbershop love my hair. The lady one always asks if I can swap hers (tight, crazy curls) for mine XD

leahrachelle
April 17th, 2009, 10:47 PM
When my hair was down to my butt when I was little, a lot of people were jealous, and everyone thought it was cool. A substitute teacher actually asked me if she could measure my hair once, and she did.

Vic
April 18th, 2009, 04:54 AM
there`s a lot of jealousy... lots of people tell me I need to cut my hair... or that it`s too dark, too curly, too long, too "healthy", too abundant to be my real hair... thank god I`m not a very sensitive person and I don`t really care what people say ^_^
on the other hand... there also have been some nice comment

Flynn
April 18th, 2009, 04:56 AM
When my hair was down to my butt when I was little, a lot of people were jealous, and everyone thought it was cool. A substitute teacher actually asked me if she could measure my hair once, and she did.

Hahaha, that's cute!

Gypsygirl
April 18th, 2009, 05:05 AM
too "healthy

What a strange thing to say! :rolleyes:

Melisande
April 18th, 2009, 05:10 AM
I don't get any reactions, none. I guess it's because I'm middle aged and thus invisible. My mother nags me to cut it because I'm too old for it.

Yesterday, I had braidwaves and wore them open for a concert where I met a lot of friends. I confess that I hoped to hear even one nice little word about my hair... but nobody said anything.

I guess my friends think I'm too old to have nice hair :-(((((

Flynn
April 18th, 2009, 05:17 AM
I don't get any reactions, none. I guess it's because I'm middle aged and thus invisible. My mother nags me to cut it because I'm too old for it.

Yesterday, I had braidwaves and wore them open for a concert where I met a lot of friends. I confess that I hoped to hear even one nice little word about my hair... but nobody said anything.

I guess my friends think I'm too old to have nice hair :-(((((
I think you have lovely hair. It looks like it has a really nice texture, and such a wonderful, vibrant colour!

LHScotsman
April 18th, 2009, 05:51 AM
Yep - same with me. Women want to touch it - and it's always at the most embarassing moments!

jtl45
April 18th, 2009, 06:19 AM
I typically get nothing but compliments from women. I often get asked what type of shampoo I use, how do I usually wear it etc., which I dont mind at all!
Jim

NeilTheFuzz
April 18th, 2009, 06:43 AM
I get rubbish all the time from people who can't see past the boundaries of their own normality. Especially teenagers (chavs, is what we call them in England) who look exactly the same as each other. As a general rule, most of them don't seem to have two brain cells to rub together, so I just ignore them. Aside from them, most people either don't seem to be bothered or they compliment me, which is nice of them :)

pdy2kn6
April 18th, 2009, 06:53 AM
i don't get many people saying much becase its always up, but the other day i was getting my washing in and my hair was drying after just washing it, and my next door neighbor did say...wow i never knew your hair was that long, because she had never seen it down before, still it isnt long for longhaircommunity standards ... i always find it really wierd/creepy the thought of people asking to 'touch' your hair. lol, im a long way off getting those sort of reactions though

SHELIAANN1969
April 18th, 2009, 07:36 AM
Rarely does anyone ever say anything about my hair. The other day my aunt raved about how long it is and my little neice says it's long, no one else ever mentions it except for my husband.

I haven't had negative replies, so I guess that's a good thing! ;)

Gypsygirl
April 18th, 2009, 07:40 AM
I think you have lovely hair. It looks like it has a really nice texture, and such a wonderful, vibrant colour!

Yes! They must be blind or something...your hair is so very pretty! :) I would have said something.

EdG
April 18th, 2009, 08:02 AM
Adult strangers generally try very hard to pretend that they're not staring at me. "Ho, hum... just another guy with calf-length hair. Nothing to see here. Move along!" :rolleyes:

Little kids are fun because they're not at all inhibited. I've been the envy of many a little girl. :D
Ed

Gypsygirl
April 18th, 2009, 08:16 AM
"Ho, hum... just another guy with calf-length hair. Nothing to see here. Move along!" :rolleyes:

:D

Yay for those who dare to be different! ;)

EdG
April 18th, 2009, 08:19 AM
:D

Yay for those who dare to be different! ;)Yes, yay for us longhairs! :cheese:
Ed

Themyst
April 18th, 2009, 08:42 AM
and some hobo who followed me to class one day, and gave me a cake.

May I ask for some elaboration? A cake? You didn't know the person?:confused:

I've had flowers sent by total strangers because they saw me on the street and watched me go into work, but no stranger has ever brought me a cake!

LittleOrca
April 18th, 2009, 09:30 AM
I usually get positive comments. I have seen a recent increase though in comments by people (usually women/girls with short hair) who are mad that I have such long hair. When my hair is down it's like a crime against humanity! How dare I show off! :rolleyes: But if my hair is up in a bun or something else, they assume my hair isn't as long or that it's fake.

People are strange.

bte
April 18th, 2009, 09:40 AM
Bte, I think it depends on the situation...but a compliment given with a smile is always great! :)If I am ever on the same enchanted island, I'll remember both to make a comment and smile!

Indigo Girl
April 18th, 2009, 12:29 PM

(And beautiful, Sam-I-Am! I just love your hair - such pretty ringlets. :D)

This is the compliment I get the most too.

I get comments on my shine a lot, too.

My next most popular comment, though much rarer as I don't wear my hair down often.

I've been asked if I donate it :rolleyes:

I get this a lot too. And in turn, a most perplexed look when I say "No...just for me..."

Little kids are fun because they're not at all inhibited. I've been the envy of many a little girl. :D

Agreed, Ed! The innocence of children is cutely amusing. :)

Wicked Princess
April 18th, 2009, 03:12 PM
I hate that some of you have gotten negative comments only because the other person is jealous that you have long hair and they do not, especially you, LittleOrca. I love your signature and avatar picture - your hair is beautiful :)

I get so mad at people like that! I almost want to slap them and say, "Well if you want beautiful, long hair, do something about it, instead of being a *****. Have some chocolate already, sheesh."

Wicked Princess
April 18th, 2009, 03:14 PM
Oh! And EdG! Forget being the envy of little girls...you are the envy of me! I desperately want hair as healthy and downright gorgeous as yours!

Someday, I'll have it. Hopefully by then, I'll also have gotten some patience, hehe.

Flynn
April 18th, 2009, 03:47 PM
May I ask for some elaboration? A cake? You didn't know the person?:confused:

I've had flowers sent by total strangers because they saw me on the street and watched me go into work, but no stranger has ever brought me a cake!

No, I didn't know him at all, but it wasn't as odd and stalky as someone watching you and then sending you flowers... (while it's sweet, it'd really freak me out!) He just had a Woolworths cake, still all in its plastic box, with him. He gave it to me.

Elenna
April 18th, 2009, 04:47 PM
I'm growing silver hair.

Mostly older ladies say to dye and cut my hair!

My DH is my best fan. He tells me to grow it longer.

Flynn
April 18th, 2009, 05:05 PM
*Eyeroll* That's just because they're embarrassed that they do, and need everyone else to to make them feel like they're doing "the right thing". Don't listen to them. Silver is gorgeous. I'm looking forward to it.

viking_quest
April 18th, 2009, 05:19 PM
Well that's just weird! I guess some people need to tell somebody to do something at some point during the day, I can't imagine why else 19" long hair would need cutting?! You are 16, so perhaps it's just the way 16 year olds interact. I can't remember back that far...:)

Teenagers just love to give unsolicited advice. :rolleyes: I don't quite understand why though.

Firefly
April 18th, 2009, 05:46 PM
For some reason, recently I have received some comments on my hair. Usually it's the ambiguous "It's so long!" ...What does that mean, anyway??:confused: There is one woman in our homeschool group who is very complimentary of my hair though; whenever I wear it down she tells me how beautiful it is. Yesterday another mom said the same thing and I was thrilled. I went for soooooooooo very long with no one commenting about my hair. Ever. So, those couple really make my day-- silly, I know, but there it is.

I also keep waiting for the "you're too old to wear long hair" comment. I don't look my age at the moment, but I know it's coming. I plan to have long silver hair when I start to gray, so it's only a matter of time I'm sure. :roll:

kam984420
April 18th, 2009, 06:02 PM
People keep telling me i need a hairCUT too. I keep ignoring them letting it go in one ear and out the other. :(

Rosebud_Roboda
April 18th, 2009, 06:15 PM
I've gotten the usual "its so long." But I'm always confused about what I should say in reply, "thankyou?" "yes, I know?"
I assume people generally say it as a compliment, so I usually say thanks.
One time in class, the girls started asking me a million questions "how long did you take to grow it" "how much conditioner do you use?" I'm the only girl in my school who has locks of this length, so I suppose they were curious.

And then there are my friends....
My best bud tells me never to cut it because its too pretty. (I agree with her) =P
But my other friend keeps bothering me to cut it.

But my opinion is that I like my long hair because it makes me a bit different. Tons of people have short-short hair, but not that many have really long locks (except on this forum, of course). :)

AmyJorgensen
April 18th, 2009, 06:20 PM
I generally just get compliments. Sometimes I get people harrassing me about donating to Locks of Love, telling me that my hair is "SO LONG," people asking me "How long I have been growing it," asking "Why do you have a stick in your hair?,"or people saying, "Don't ever cut it." I also get touchers, but luckily they are almost always women.

As far as "Don't ever cut it," 1. I won't. 2. Why would I be influenced one way or the other by a stranger?

As far as telling me I need to donate my hair, I consider that very rude.

I don't mind people touching, but only if they get permission.

Helen Baq
April 18th, 2009, 06:21 PM
I don't get many comments on my hair here, but I mostly wear it up. I used to get a lot of comments, especially from kids and older ladies, when I had blue and pink dreadlocks with beads and bells! The kids would usually say something like, "Look at her hair, Mom, it's blue!" just to be shushed and dragged away. That made me sad. Why would the parent think a comment like that would upset me when I had crazy, psychedelic dreadlocks? Did they think I didn't realize my hair was blue? :confused:

I've had long hair more than not and I've never had a negative comment. Any comments I've gotten have been positive. No one out here has ever tried to touch my hair, or wanted to braid it, or anything. Makes me sad, really. I like having my hair played with, if the person knows how to be gentle. In the past that's been the only way I could have a french braid, since I was inept! :p

He reminded me so much of my hubby who when anyone mentions scissors or salons or cutting to me just screams, "No!" very loudly. It's nice having a man who supports my mane...and nice finding a random one who does as well. :oP

That is awesome! :rollin:

Jessica Trapp
April 18th, 2009, 08:49 PM
Generally very positive comments. I used to hide my long hair obsession, but now I'm liable to blurt it out to anyone. :p I pull out my iPod and show my Cousin It photo--it makes people laugh--some with me and some AT me, but we're all laughing so It's All Good. Often they ask about hair care. I always point them to LHC!

LittleOrca
April 19th, 2009, 12:55 AM
I hate that some of you have gotten negative comments only because the other person is jealous that you have long hair and they do not, especially you, LittleOrca. I love your signature and avatar picture - your hair is beautiful :)

I get so mad at people like that! I almost want to slap them and say, "Well if you want beautiful, long hair, do something about it, instead of being a *****. Have some chocolate already, sheesh."

Lol, I don't pay them much mind anymore. It's like any teasing I have had: weight, hair, mermaid tail... there will always be people who think I am worthless/weird/strange/insane because of how I look or what I do. Eh, sucks to be them! I could be such a good friend... not to boast or anything. :o:p

I
My best bud tells me never to cut it because its too pretty. (I agree with her) =P

One of my old college friends told me if I ever cut my hair she'd hunt me down and kill me. Has your friend ever been that dramatic about it? lol

Natalia
April 19th, 2009, 01:28 AM
Not to be anegative nelly but most of the comments about my hair have been negative :( but hey i live in a small town i guess theres nothing better to do :P. But on the flip side the positve comments i get are really sweet :D <3. Much like others have mentioned most of the positive comments i get are from older people well older than myself anyway :). I find alot of men like long hair especially after i dyed it dark (im gowing out the dye but i plan on keeping it dark, dont ask me how yet lol) theres something about it that catches their eye i guess.

Natalia

Elenna
April 19th, 2009, 01:44 AM
*Eyeroll* That's just because they're embarrassed that they do, and need everyone else to to make them feel like they're doing "the right thing". Don't listen to them. Silver is gorgeous. I'm looking forward to it.

Thank you Flynn.

Methinks that they don't like to be reminded about their own silver cover up.

Katla
April 19th, 2009, 02:01 AM
I've had long hair more than not and I've never had a negative comment. Any comments I've gotten have been positive. No one out here has ever tried to touch my hair, or wanted to braid it, or anything. Makes me sad, really. I like having my hair played with, if the person knows how to be gentle. In the past that's been the only way I could have a french braid, since I was inept! :p

*points at quote* Pretty much that. I have long hair, but not long enough yet that it can be considered rare over here, and since I usually wear it in a bun these days, it's only the family that gets to see it down. I do braid it sometimes when it's one of those I'm-hopeless-at-updos mornings, but that still makes my hair look shorter than it is and I don't think most people consider how much length a braid 'takes off' like that :)

Best Beloved does like to braid it for me, though :p And it always makes me melt.

Juanita
April 19th, 2009, 07:03 AM
I've had a couple of your hairs getting really long. And getting towards your bum. I "think "they were compliments

EdG
April 19th, 2009, 08:59 AM
Oh! And EdG! Forget being the envy of little girls...you are the envy of me! I desperately want hair as healthy and downright gorgeous as yours!

Someday, I'll have it. Hopefully by then, I'll also have gotten some patience, hehe.Thank you, Wicked Princess. I'm certain that you'll have very nice long hair. Welcome to LHC! :)
Ed

Elbereth
April 19th, 2009, 09:34 AM
I have not discussed hair stuff much IRL, but when I have, it seems that everyone assumes my hair is way shorter than it is (hip length). I wear my hair nearly always up and often I also wear a headcovering, so I can understand how people think like that...but it still feels a bit weird.

Not that I mind having such a beautiful "secret" least bit. :p Just makes me feel even more glamorous on the rare occassions when I wear it down.

mira-chan
April 19th, 2009, 10:05 AM
That might have something to do with where you are, though- NYC is packed with all kinds of interesting and different-looking people, so you don't stand out as much.
Depends on the neighborhood but in general, yes, the locals are less likely to react to unusual things. My parasols get no reaction, my kimono does get reactions :D. Now in the touristy locations you get the gawkers. Plus it's considered rude to come up to strangers and comment. People don't talk to each other unless there is a reason to.

I wear my hair up most of them time so people who don't know me well generally don't get to see the length of my hair.

CrystalStar
April 20th, 2009, 10:03 AM
Heehee, it's funny to read about all the people giving off the 'don't touch me' vibe :p

I think I give off the opposite! I have a couple of friends who have just come up to me to stroke my hair before, and offer to brush it, and I sometimes get like inadvertent compliments sort of..Like the compliments no-one said at the time sorta thing!

For example :p I wore my hair in a cinnabun to school and no-one said anything, and at lunch break I let it down to give my scalp a rest, went to next lesson and had a load of people saying it looked so nice up in the bun and persuading me to put it right back up! I was kinda surprised haha. Also, in PE when I go to put my hair in a simple ponytail or bun I always get my friends watching me brush my hair out, even though it's only bra strap length :) I never know how to react and just get sorta shy though :p

From some of you ladies (and guys :)) pictures I'm surprised you get no compliments, some of you have really beautiful long hair, and if I met you in real life I'd have to compliment it! :D

Aisha25
April 20th, 2009, 10:05 AM
Well I will wear my hair open next month at a gathering (first time) so we will see what everyone says about my hair. I hope all positive:pray:

Fethenwen
April 20th, 2009, 11:59 AM
I'm growing silver hair.

Mostly older ladies say to dye and cut my hair!

My DH is my best fan. He tells me to grow it longer.
Oh wow. I wish more women with graying hair would do that. I often associate silver long hair with great wisdom for some reason. Like some sort of ancient elven queen... :bow: with ancient I don't mean old looking.
----

Not getting any compliments yet myself, other than at my hair color sometimes. Think it will take some time before I can consider myself as the girl with long hair. Today I only hear comments from my friends, they find me a bit funny because I stopped using shampoo and call me hippie. heh :p

Euphony
April 20th, 2009, 12:41 PM
I had a comment on Friday I have to share. My son has 3a/3b hair, it's about half the thickness of mine, he's 17, sick of the curls. He doesn't want to cut his hair off (it's apl) so he's decided (against my incessant disagreeing) that he wants to chemically straighten it. There's a salon on my way to the bank that I noticed was open when I drove by. So I stopped to ask them how much it would be for him to get it done.

She asked me about his hair and I explained it's about half the thickness of mine and much curlier. My hair was in a half up, she came up behind me and grabbed at the hair at the nape of my neck. She gasped and said 'oh my goodness, your hair is amazing!'

It was a little embarrassing actually, and pretty funny. I think she figured my hair looked so full due to the wave, she was shocked when she felt my hair.

earthdancer
April 20th, 2009, 01:15 PM
Oh wow. I wish more women with graying hair would do that. I often associate silver long hair with great wisdom for some reason. Like some sort of ancient elven queen... :bow: with ancient I don't mean old looking.

I've noticed TV commercials with elegant long-haired silver-haired women in the last couple of years; that tells me it is a lot more main-stream than it used to be (to have long, silver hair). Yay for that!

Helen Baq
April 20th, 2009, 01:41 PM
Best Beloved does like to braid it for me, though :p And it always makes me melt.

Aww! That's so sweet! :)

I've noticed TV commercials with elegant long-haired silver-haired women in the last couple of years; that tells me it is a lot more main-stream than it used to be (to have long, silver hair). Yay for that!

I agree. It's a rare day here that I don't see at least one silver-long-hair. I think it's fantastic! Silver hair is gorgeous and it's wonderful that more people are embracing it. :cheese:

DelynofRhondda
April 20th, 2009, 02:36 PM
The other day I had DH brush my hair out for me. Very rare indeed. I had quite a few oogles, a few ooohs, and a sniff while we were at the lumber yard. LOL!

Usually I wear it up or in a plait. For some reason that day I just didn't feel like putting it up.

Back in the 80s, when the spiral perm was in vogue, I'd get people commenting on the curls. It was funny when stylists would come up and ask which one of their rivals was my stylist. Or the layman asking what salon I went to. *Sigh* My Mother did all of my trims, etc. and I always felt good hearing what a wonderful job she did.

flapjack
April 20th, 2009, 04:39 PM
There was a lady who had gray curls that were almost classic length the other day at the store. My mom and I rushed over to compliment her, hahaha.

I haven't been wearing my hair down much because it's past hips now, so it can be a little inconvenient at school, plus it's getting hot outside. I wore it down to class this morning and got some nice comments, which was cool. I think people don't say much to me now because everyone I'm around daily knows me very well and I kind of live under a rock right now, haha. So they all know about my hair, already, there's nothing to say. But I've been told that when people talk about me, they call me "the grad student in Dr. Carroll's lab with the really long hair" hahaha.