PDA

View Full Version : Help me type my hair.... (A Challenge for You)

Flynn
April 16th, 2009, 09:45 PM
... I say a challenge, because I don't own a camera, and therefore have no pictures.

It's been a long time since I last let my hair air-dry loose, but I did today, and had a bit of a surprise.

I considered my hair to be wavy (see typing to the left), but I can see now that it does not form simple, s-shaped waves. Rather, it falls in very loose, but very distinct spirals, having a period (length for full turn) of 2-4 in, and a diameter of only about 1/2 - 1 in, turning to something more like a true curl at the ends. The main part of my hair, though, I wouldn't call curly... but it's definitely in spirals, not simple waves. If it was waves of the same period and diameter/amplitude as the spirals, I think I'd be very confident in my choice of typing.

But how would you type this?

Flynn
April 16th, 2009, 11:12 PM
I suppose no-one's interested unless there's pics.

Or am I in the wrong place?

ZaBasDa
April 17th, 2009, 01:43 PM
Well, it is very hard to do hairtyping without the photos. I might say you were more of a 2c/3a if you have actual spirals. And I know that for my hair, the longer it gets the more wave like my length is while the ends still form spiral curls. But I would definitely say your hair is not 1c/2a.

JamieLeigh
April 17th, 2009, 03:39 PM
I agree - it is definitely hard with no pics, lol. :pinktongue: But if there are spirals, that sounds like a 2c or a 3a to me as well. I hope we're helping!

Flynn
April 17th, 2009, 05:26 PM
Yeah, I know... like I say, though, I don't have a camera -- not even in my phone. (Starving student, here!)

Looking at the Visual Hairtyping Guide (http://homepage.mac.com/annsofie.henriksson/hairtyping/PhotoAlbum17.html), the spirals aren't as dramatic or tight as their 2c/3a... it's a bit like a hybrid of LittleFlower's hair (http://homepage.mac.com/annsofie.henriksson/.Pictures/2a/2a-LittleFlower.jpg) with Meezer's (http://homepage.mac.com/annsofie.henriksson/.Pictures/3a/Meezer.jpg)... in other words, a 1c/2a, but spirals instead or waves, I think..... >.< It's much, much straighter than a 2c/3a. (I don't know how that works, either.)

I usually braid my hair before it dries, though, so it does normally look wavy in the perfectly typical sense.

When my brother gets home, I'll see if I can borrow his 'phone...

spidermom
April 17th, 2009, 05:55 PM
Maybe 2C. Without a picture .... (you know the drill)

Flynn
April 17th, 2009, 06:02 PM
You type yourself as a 2c, right, Spidermom? From the visual guide, I thought my hair was a bit too straight to call a 2c, but looking at your sig image, I'm thinking that's probably exactly right... Right? All the 2c's in the guide (http://homepage.mac.com/annsofie.henriksson/hairtyping/PhotoAlbum22.html) have really short-period waves, but you don't seem to be quite like that... am I correct? :confused:

spidermom
April 17th, 2009, 06:16 PM
My hair doesn't look exactly like any of the pictures, that's true. My spiral curls are long and loose. I couldn't even tell that I had curls until my hair was at least armpit length - they are that loose.

Most of the time my hair probably looks 1C/2A because the curls relax into waves, then go pretty straight. When I wash and air-dry it, I still have long spirals behind each ear plus a few other places on my head. I have stick-straight strands, too. I have a better picture of natural, air-dried hair here somewhere ... oh wait; no I don't. I deleted a bunch of old stuff out of photobucket. Darn!

Flynn
April 17th, 2009, 06:33 PM
That sounds an awful lot like me. I don't (as I shift and ruffle through my hair now, in front of the mirror) seem to have any truly stick-straight sections, but some come reasonably close, until the last few inches at least. I do have overall -- both on over- and under-layers -- these really very long, loose spirals, but, (although if I pick out a pinch-full and let it hang, it forms into a well-defined spiral), a lot of of the body of my hair doesn't clump up into clearly separated spirals until the last, say, 5 or 6 inches.

I started to see spirals in the ends when it had grown past shoulder-length... (last time I had it long, it was an adolescent fluff-ball, so I had no idea what it would look like when looked after!)

It sounds like 2c is probably close enough for me. "Loose 2c" maybe? *Laughs*

Thanks very much, everyone!