PDA

View Full Version : Quote feature

Neoma
March 8th, 2008, 09:31 PM
I notice that the top of each post has an arrow -->. Some people have been cross-referencing other people's posts. I see the same arrow in the quote, and if you roll over it, it will tell you where the original post was.

I can't figure out how to do this myself. Can someone direct me?

Just to be clear, I don't mean just selecting the quote bubble and cutting a quote from someone else's post. I know how to do that...

dancingbarefoot
March 8th, 2008, 09:37 PM
I think it just happens automatically now whenever you quote someone.

Neoma
March 9th, 2008, 09:00 AM
I think it just happens automatically now whenever you quote someone.Let's see. I'm quoting you now...

:flower:

Neoma
March 9th, 2008, 09:00 AM
Nope. If you roll over the little arrow, it just says Default.

Dianyla
March 9th, 2008, 09:08 AM
The arrow is the default thread icon. See, I just changed my reply to be a smile.

dancingbarefoot
March 9th, 2008, 09:09 AM
Hm, well I just noticed that it happened automatically when I quoted someone in another thread, and the code looks like this:

[.quote=username;3651]blah blah[/quote]

I got it by just hitting the quote button. The number is the post number within the thread, which you can get from the thread's URL if it's not happening automatically.

dancingbarefoot
March 9th, 2008, 09:11 AM
Nope. If you roll over the little arrow, it just says Default.

And like Diane said, you can change the icon but still use the cross-referencing.

Neoma
March 9th, 2008, 09:29 AM
Hmmmm...I'm wondering if this is a mod-thing. I'm not getting the little arrow in the quotes that I'm making. See?

And like Diane said, you can change the icon but still use the cross-referencing.

dancingbarefoot
March 9th, 2008, 09:39 AM
No, it can't be, because I've seen it in posts from non-mods (like Euphony and snowbear). Probably just some setting that needs tweaking.

Neoma
March 9th, 2008, 10:47 AM
OK, now I feel like a total idiot...

I have always used the Quote icon button that looks like a cartoon bubble. I just realized that there is a Quote button on each post. Duh. I used that, and I see the reference to the other person's post.

Problem solved.

Thank you, everyone, for trying to help me. I'm sure that's what you were trying to explain to me, but I didn't get it. Now I do.

dancingbarefoot
March 9th, 2008, 12:11 PM
Hey, look at it this way: now we know there are multiple ways to quote and they're not identical. :flower:

ladiosaRosa
March 9th, 2008, 12:33 PM
OK, now I feel like a total idiot...

I have always used the Quote icon button that looks like a cartoon bubble. I just realized that there is a Quote button on each post. Duh. I used that, and I see the reference to the other person's post.

Problem solved.

Thank you, everyone, for trying to help me. I'm sure that's what you were trying to explain to me, but I didn't get it. Now I do.

OK, idiot here....can't figure out what you mean when you say there's a Quote icon button and a Quote button.

Sorry for the hijack.

aisling
March 9th, 2008, 12:42 PM
ladiosaRosa, the Quote icon button you find above the Quick reply and Reply window, this http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/images/editor/quote.gif. If you click on this you get the Quote tags in between which you can paste some text you want to quote. The result looks like this:

quoted text here

The quote button is what you've used in your post when you wanted to quote Neoma.

ladiosaRosa
March 9th, 2008, 12:59 PM
ladiosaRosa, the Quote icon button you find above the Quick reply and Reply window, this http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/images/editor/quote.gif. If you click on this you get the Quote tags in between which you can paste some text you want to quote. The result looks like this:

The quote button is what you've used in your post when you wanted to quote Neoma.

Thank you, aisling. :flower: