PDA

View Full Version : Need Advice, Please

GermanBlush
April 16th, 2009, 07:16 PM
What can I do about the top of my head with the hair being flat? My long hair weighs down and there's no body there. I look like a drowned rat with a round face, even though my hair is soft and clean. My hair is very straight and tailbone length. Thanks.

P.S. I don't wear it flowing. I usually braid or ponytail it.

susiemw
April 16th, 2009, 07:22 PM
[quote=GermanBlush;551228]What can I do about the top of my head with the hair being flat? My long hair weighs down and there's no body there. [quote]

I feel your pain... I have the same problem.
I don't have a good answer but i finally started
just pulling the top of my hair back into a small pony
tail then go ahead and style however i wanted.
I can poof this area as much as I want (or not)...
this works with braids, log rolls, buns etc.

It looks more attractive on me to have the front
of my hair pulled up and back rather than down and back.

Susan

Tangles
April 16th, 2009, 07:23 PM
Cut the very front of your hair a little shorter than the rest and use rollers on just that section for lift. Better yet, fringe cut to shoulder or collarbone length.

Stephanie
April 16th, 2009, 07:27 PM
I'm in the same boat.

On the days that I care, I use a volumizing shampoo and conditioner and clip the top half of my hair up (so it looks a bit poufy) to dry. After it dries, I let it loose and it flows around my face much better.

Or get layers.

GermanBlush
April 16th, 2009, 07:41 PM
Thanks. Those are some good ideas. I don't want to cut my hair. It is all one length and it took me 10 years to get it that way. It think I'll play with it a little while it's wet and clip it a little. Thanks for the ideas.

If anyone else has come up with another solution, I'm all ears. Thanks!

paper
April 17th, 2009, 05:16 AM
I'm in the same boat.

On the days that I care, I use a volumizing shampoo and conditioner and clip the top half of my hair up (so it looks a bit poufy) to dry. After it dries, I let it loose and it flows around my face much better.

Or get layers.

I'm having the same problem also. I just bought a volumizing shampoo, can't wait to try it. Thanks for the tip on clipping top up, I'm going to try that too.

Stephanie
April 17th, 2009, 07:57 AM
Paper, I've found my volumizing S&C to be a life saver. I thought I was destined for limp, flat hair, but even when I don't clip it up, my hair flows much better. FWIW, the best I've used is actually Pantene's - I think the company's come a long way over the last few years.

Yulivee
April 17th, 2009, 08:03 AM
Hey there, I don't have a problem with volume but I know some friends who do. They use "bump-its" for extra volume. I never tried them but they look good on my friends. Just google it and you'll find videos.

Nightshade
April 17th, 2009, 08:13 AM
Another idea, at least for updos, but it'd work for a half-up too, is the Updo Lift style (http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/vbjournal.php?do=article&articleid=87):)

http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/vbjournal/photos/e5da18b4a852ed68e104e84330652549.jpg

Themyst
April 17th, 2009, 08:31 AM
Do you have a picture you could post?

Mine is very flat, too. If I air dry it like many do here, it looks terrible and flat. I have to blow dry it to get body. I don't wash it every day, so on my off days I wear it up.

JamieLeigh
April 17th, 2009, 04:50 PM
When my hair was tailbone length, and before I decided to embrace my waves (which is pre-January 2009), I would endeavor to make my hair as straight as possible. Unfortunately that made it really flat on the top of my head, so what I did was take a bit of mousse and apply it to the roots of my hair while still damp and finger-comb it in while my head was upside down. Then as it dried, my hair didn't look nearly as flat on top. The real trick is finding a good mousse that doesn't leave your hair dry and crusty. I liked Aussie, personally. :)

sukhi_v1023
April 17th, 2009, 05:00 PM
Maybe you could try curling your hair with one of those no heat methods. Or! You could do a faux-hawk.

Faux Hawk Minus the Teasing:

Part your hair so that you have a rectangle piece in the middle of your forehead. (You want to part above the middle of your eyebrows, and continue the part til your halfway to the crown of your head.)

Gently twist the piece 2 rotations clockwise, or counter clockwise and pin down with a bobby pin. Use a second one to secure. You want have a cross-section. Then style as usual. It'll give you a slight lift, and keep your hair from falling flat. Just make sure not to twist too hard, you just need gentle pressure.

Hope that helps. :-)

akurah
April 17th, 2009, 05:27 PM
One thing that works for me at least is after washing, I either flip my head over and braid it upside down (at the hairline above my forehead) OR twist it in a bun on the very top of my head. It doesn't come down until dry.

This works better if you have some light cream or mousse or gel very lightly worked into your hair, but it also works without.