PDA

View Full Version : Clear Glycerine Soap - Good for Hair Washing?

ratgirldjh
April 16th, 2009, 12:42 PM
I've been seeing this soap at my grocery store a lot lately. It is made by Clearly Natural and is a clear glycerine soap. Now I realize that even though they list the ingredients as saponified palm oil, water, glycerine and EO's - that it probably does contain alcohol (because that is usually how you make clear soap. Of course they say it doesn't on their site... Where they also sell melt and pour soap - LOL

But I have been thinking of trying this soap for hairwashing. Has anyone tried it? If so - how did it work?

Is it a bad idea? Soap works well on my hair anyway, and this bar is supposed to be very good in hard water and supposedly does not leave a film or soap scum.

Also it is possible (however unlikely) that they use a different process to make this soap? It is pretty clear though. They also don't list sugar on their ingredients.

There is also a Canadian soapmaker who I also makes this kind of soap - I can't remember the name (maybe Clearwater soaps) - but she said on her web-site that after she cures the soap for several weeks all of the alcohol is 'cured' out.

Just curious - And bored ;)

spidermom
April 16th, 2009, 12:54 PM
Because I'm also bored - I'll toss in my 2 cents. I think it would be too alkaline. In fact, I think that all soap is too alkaline for skin/scalp. I know you can correct the pH by using an acid rinse, but my motto is "don't mess around with the pH in the first place." So yeh - anyway. My truth includes getting the heebie-jeebies from the feel of a bar of soap - slimey. Disgusting. So yeh - I washed myself with shampoo back when there were no shower gels. O.k. - it's back to work. Thank you for allowing me to assauge my boredom on your thread.

serious
April 16th, 2009, 01:05 PM
I use glycerin soap for hand washing and it really does not leave a soap scum so I ve been asking myself the same question about using it for hair wash, but I am kind of tired with experimenting with my hair these days...
But I am going to watch this thread with interest, for sure :)

ratgirldjh
April 16th, 2009, 02:27 PM
Bump!!! Anyone actually tried it???

manderly
April 16th, 2009, 04:00 PM
I seem to recall from the discussions on the shampoo bar thread that high glycerin content soaps leave lots of film on hair and is pretty widely unliked...........I could be wrong though :)

Try doing a search within the poo bar thread!

Anje
April 16th, 2009, 04:23 PM
I've wondered this too, but haven't tried it. I imagine that you'd use it similarly to shampoo bars, and it would have the same pH and scum issues. (That's not necessarily to dissuade you -- lots of people love soap-based hair cleansers.)

ratgirldjh
April 16th, 2009, 04:43 PM
I may try it. It is very cheap to buy - under $2.00 plus they have a lot of different scents!
If I decide to try it I will post how I like it :)

marialena
April 16th, 2009, 07:53 PM
I tried once this kind of soap on my hair and it wasn't good. It made my hair dry and left a lot of a white..something :) on them. If it has glycerin in it and it is transparent, trust me, it won't have oils in it! No oil, when saponified gives transparent soaps. I wouldn't recommend to use it.
If you like soap prefer something more natural with vegetable oils and no chemicals in it ..

ratgirldjh
April 17th, 2009, 09:23 AM
I tried once this kind of soap on my hair and it wasn't good. It made my hair dry and left a lot of a white..something :) on them. If it has glycerin in it and it is transparent, trust me, it won't have oils in it! No oil, when saponified gives transparent soaps. I wouldn't recommend to use it.
If you like soap prefer something more natural with vegetable oils and no chemicals in it ..

Yes I am suspicious of it kinda - but I may try it anyway... if I do I will post my results. What kind of olive oil soap do you use btw?
I think that they make the transparent soap usually by making a regular soap and then using alcohol and sugar water in the regular soap to make it clear. Supposedly that process breaks down the soap 'crystals' and makes it clear... I don't know why though...

wendyg
April 17th, 2009, 11:47 AM
I'm with spidermom (whose signature pic is particularly lovely today) on this.

wg

marialena
April 17th, 2009, 12:33 PM
Yes I am suspicious of it kinda - but I may try it anyway... if I do I will post my results. What kind of olive oil soap do you use btw?
I think that they make the transparent soap usually by making a regular soap and then using alcohol and sugar water in the regular soap to make it clear. Supposedly that process breaks down the soap 'crystals' and makes it clear... I don't know why though...

I use olive oil soap from a local company. Nothing very special but I have check out that the ingredients are completely natural. Olive oil and sea salt that they use it, in this company, as a base for making the soap. I don't know exactly how they make it, I mean the procedure, but I'm thinking to check out their company soon. ( you can visit the company and you can see how they make the soap.)
This soap has very soft cleaning qualities, it doesn't make hair crunchy but leaves hair soft and moisturized.

Desdemona
April 17th, 2009, 05:02 PM
I definitely would stay away from a glycerin soap. The glycerin may feel nice on your skin but it leaves a deposit on the hair, making it stiff and crunchy. Plus, as others have mentioned, the pH of glycerin soaps is too high and there are no conditioning oils at all. I'm predicting tears. ;)

spidermom
April 17th, 2009, 05:08 PM
I definitely would stay away from a glycerin soap. The glycerin may feel nice on your skin but it leaves a deposit on the hair, making it stiff and crunchy. Plus, as others have mentioned, the pH of glycerin soaps is too high and there are no conditioning oils at all. I'm predicting tears. ;)

Oh - and if the air is dry, glycerin will pull moisture out of your hair. (if the air is moist, and your hair is dry, then vice versa)

AmandaPanda
April 17th, 2009, 06:09 PM
There probably isn't any alcohol in it (I've never heard of soap containing alcohol), but I would not use it on my hair

ratgirldjh
April 19th, 2009, 10:32 AM
I probably won't try it. I am very happy with my poo bar - but I just get bored ;)

Thanks y'all for giving me your thoughts on this