PDA

View Full Version : Hair article! They almost were on to something...

RavennaNight
April 16th, 2009, 10:33 AM
Hairstyle Showcase 2009 Summer issue had a small article about air drying! I was so excited to see them encouraging this so I read on:

Just when you're mastering brushes, blow dryers and pomades, the trend is taking a turn. Air-drying is the newest way to keep hair shiny and healthy and even market researchers say they are seeing a movement away from heat-styling tools.

"Air drying does require the right cut and hair that has the right texture, which is wave," says Minardi, who adds that it is not right for totally straight hair. "Because today's body waves create texture and support the formation of the hair that eases styling, we're doing more today than we've done in the past 30 years. Depending on your hair type, chemically reducing or adding texture in increments--not totally--makes hair styling so much easier, because you start with the hair half way to where you want it to be, before you even start styling."

Just when you think the hair mags are actually going to say something good for your hair. No, you don't have to blow dry, use chemicals instead.:rolleyes:

Should I really be surprised?

az_sweetie01
April 16th, 2009, 10:38 AM
Why can't totally straight hair be air dried exactly? I'm puzzled by the rationale but, it's good to see someone recommending air drying anyways :)

Unofficial_Rose
April 16th, 2009, 10:42 AM
I notice he says you would need a rather good cut to make an air-dried style look its best. I do agree with him (as far as my own wavy hair is concerned, at least). However, I fail to see how straight hair isn't best just air-dried, tbh? :confused:

When stylists started to use straighteners, I noticed they seemed to stop bothering to work out how your natural texture would work with the cut - just do a reasonably symmetrical/neat cut and straighten it. Then when you wash it at home, if your hair is not straight, it will go all over the place! :rolleyes:

I wish cutting to suit a person's natural wave pattern was done more often than it is!

"Body wave" - urgh! honestly!

marialena
April 16th, 2009, 10:46 AM
:trainwreck: :brickwall

Great article! :D What can I say??
In the end I think that all hair magazines have one purpose: To just sell more chemical products without caring about the hair health. And if following their advices your hair become like sh*** don't worry...what are you going to buy?? More chemical products.. :eyebrows:
In the end of course you have no hair .. but then you do some "new-super-duper" therapy to bring them back on your head, you buy more chemicals to put on your HEAD.. ( with big letters because we are talking about head).. because hope dies last or humans before they understand how idiots they can be using all this stuff.

You absolutely right RavennaNight. We don't have to be surprised ...:(

RancheroTheBee
April 16th, 2009, 10:48 AM
When stylists started to use straighteners, I noticed they seemed to stop bothering to work out how your natural texture would work with the cut - just do a reasonably symmetrical/neat cut and straighten it. Then when you wash it at home, if your hair is not straight, it will go all over the place! :rolleyes:

This is why I don't even bother with hair salons anymore. The one time I was like, "yeah, can you leave it curly afterwards?" She was all, "Sure thing!" and whipped out the curling iron. No! Use the diffuser! I always walk in with my head of crazy-witch-hair, and they always straighten it. I once got, "You should just be wearing it straight all the time, sweetie." That gave me a bit of a complex.

Unofficial_Rose
April 16th, 2009, 11:01 AM
This is why I don't even bother with hair salons anymore. The one time I was like, "yeah, can you leave it curly afterwards?" She was all, "Sure thing!" and whipped out the curling iron. No! Use the diffuser! I always walk in with my head of crazy-witch-hair, and they always straighten it. I once got, "You should just be wearing it straight all the time, sweetie." That gave me a bit of a complex.

Quite a few stylists seem to have wrecked hair, and I've heard some admit that it's the straighteners. I wish this straighteners fad would die the death, actually, it must be the no. 1 hair killer! That or bleach (but then I kind of like bleach on account of the pretty colours :o). Would be great if they go back to using diffusers for curls - maybe one day!

Helen Baq
April 16th, 2009, 11:09 AM
What caught my eye in that article is "Air-drying is the newest way to keep hair shiny and healthy". They seriously think air drying is new? I wonder what they do with all those hair dryer fossils from prehistoric times... :confused:

Gah! Stylists were always insisting on curling my hair, even though I told them I wouldn't work. I went for years thinking I had to have curls to look good. :scared:

lora410
April 16th, 2009, 11:14 AM
Air drying does require the right cut and hair that has the right texture, which is wave

I can't believe this. Only airdry if you are a wavy and if not get waves or else it will not look good?:rollin: These magazines need to get a clue:rolleyes:

RavennaNight
April 16th, 2009, 11:24 AM
I don't understand simply because since I started air drying, my hair has become straighter and less bushy. Blowdrying for me was big bushy hair. So I guess according to them:

"Heat styling is out! Chemical styling is in!" just wait. They will come out with flatirons which dispense chemicals as you straighten:bigeyes:

Áine
April 16th, 2009, 11:50 AM
Style magazines never fail to dissapoint me.

"You should try this new thing... it's called 'air drying'. Appparently you wash your hair, and leave it wet for an extended period of time, and then somehow, it gets dried. But it only looks good if you have wavy hair. If you have straight, curly or kinky hair, you will look like a gremlin."

Oh please!:rolleyes:

KajiKodomo
April 16th, 2009, 12:03 PM
*rolls eyes* I've always air-dried my hair. If I blow-dry it, it gets incredibly poufy and bushy. And my hair is on the straight side, with only a few waves.

wackyredtangles
April 16th, 2009, 12:25 PM
That article just made me giggle.

I mean, really.

Jae6
April 16th, 2009, 12:26 PM
In all fairness, there ARE people who exist in this world who were not taught things we think are so obvious. (raises hand)

I AM wondering if the stylist is referring to airdrying to get wavy hair. If that's the case, it makes sense that a straight-haired person can't airdry their hair and expect wavy hair, but then even thinking about it that way, it still sounds dumb. I bet her coworkers are totally laughing at her right now for saying that...AND it's in print! LOL

GlennaGirl
April 16th, 2009, 12:33 PM
Style magazines never fail to dissapoint me.

"You should try this new thing... it's called 'air drying'. Appparently you wash your hair, and leave it wet for an extended period of time, and then somehow, it gets dried. But it only looks good if you have wavy hair. If you have straight, curly or kinky hair, you will look like a gremlin."

Oh please!:rolleyes:

A gremlin? :rollin: Bwah ha! I guess my new hair classification is "gremlinFii". That's too bad. Gremlins I was so much better!

JamieLeigh
April 17th, 2009, 05:51 PM
I'm not in the least surprised. What fashion mag in its right mind would advertise that leaving it alone and NOT putting expensive things in it is actually best for your hair? One that wants to lose sponsors, that's who! ;)

Why should you have to have a "cut" to accent your waves?? I'm not really understanding that part of it. My hair is classic length and wavy, and I don't think that cutting it in any way would enhance my waves! It's actually wavier the LONGER it gets, and my ends are doing the little spiral curl thingy when I air dry. This whole article makes absolutely no sense to me. :rolleyes:

spidermom
April 17th, 2009, 06:20 PM
Not that I agree with it, but I believe the reason that "you can't air-dry straight hair," is because it goes completely flat against the scalp and that is not a popular look - "everybody" wants at least a little volume.

I'm envious of smooth and sleek, personally. My hair looks like a flippin' bush half the time. Volume and texture I do not lack.

Alia
April 17th, 2009, 08:39 PM
Quite a few stylists seem to have wrecked hair, and I've heard some admit that it's the straighteners. I wish this straighteners fad would die the death, actually, it must be the no. 1 hair killer! That or bleach (but then I kind of like bleach on account of the pretty colours :o). Would be great if they go back to using diffusers for curls - maybe one day!

If straightening goes, you do realize that it will immediately be replaced with the next incarnation of the perm? Natural hair is free, and thus, never, ever "in".:rolleyes:

earthdancer
April 17th, 2009, 10:35 PM
Not that I agree with it, but I believe the reason that "you can't air-dry straight hair," is because it goes completely flat against the scalp and that is not a popular look - "everybody" wants at least a little volume.

I bend over and "fluff" my hair at the scalp while it's drying; I always wished my hair had more natural poof. It also helps to dry it outside in the breeze, upside down (a warm-weather option only, of course). I still love your fluffy hair, spidermom!

Flynn
April 17th, 2009, 10:40 PM
We had a joke in high school at the expense of one of our geography teachers, who always looked a little rough and daggy, but always had great hair with a lot of volume to it. We thought it was quite obvious that it was styled by sticking her head out the window while going at 100 k's on the Pacific Highway. Of course.

It'd totally work.... >_o

babbleball
April 17th, 2009, 11:14 PM
That's just rediculous.

I have pin straight hair (1a) that has more body when it's air dried.

My little sister who has gorgeous thick waves (like a 2a/b) has just ugly hair when her hair is cut 'enhance' her waves. Also it turns into a puffball when blowdried.(I can say that because she's my sister and I love her no matter what even if she has a bad hair day lol). When she does nothing more than brush or comb her hair it is glossy and beautiful.

My older sister has beautiful ringlets(3a/b), unless a blowdryer gets anywhere in the room with her even with a diffuser. But of course she straightened for years because she hated the beautiful jealousy inducing ringlets. Now, thank goodness, the straightener is just for special occasions.

We have completely different hairtypes but all get yuck hair when we use a blowdryer.

Yedda
April 18th, 2009, 01:16 AM
Yeah, I have to disagree about airdrying straight hair.

I have straight, fine hair, and it was it's healthiest and most beautiful before I ever started blowdrying. It fell perfectly.:magic:

Degu
April 18th, 2009, 01:21 AM
[quote=Helen Baq;550630]What caught my eye in that article is "Air-drying is the newest way to keep hair shiny and healthy". They seriously think air drying is new? I wonder what they do with all those hair dryer fossils from prehistoric times... :confused:

I know. :confused:
I've given up on reading 'hair health articles' from magazines. Everything is stupid and damaging.