PDA

View Full Version : Protecting hair while building (a house)

MoonCreature
April 16th, 2009, 08:44 AM
My DBF is building a small house and I'm helping with the parts that I can, and I enjoy it really much! However it inclues making and working with different fillers, cement and so on.

This far I've made a french braid, bunned it and put a scarf on my head. When we stop working I shake of as much as I can, CO and put a small amount of oil in the ends. However it always feels like some of the powder has found it way to my hair and my hair does feel a bit coarse even after the washing. The fillers/cement all react to water, so any damp bunning is out of the question (and I would think that if I did any heavy oiling beforehand it would only make the powders stick).

Anyone with ideas/experience on how to protect my hair? Do you think I need to clarify regulary? (I CO with conefree conditioners and don't have a need to clarify normally). Maybe scritching to try to get the powder out? I'm just afraid if would to damage to scritch with the powders there... All suggestions are appreciated!

Anje
April 16th, 2009, 08:53 AM
Maybe brushing with a BBB would help remove the powders? Otherwise, the occasional shampooing might be in order. The main thing I can think of, though, is simply to make sure that your scarf effectively covers all your hair (bandanas probably aren't sufficient).

I know, that's probably not much help... In any case, I imagine your hair will survive this fine, and it's cool that you're helping build a house!

ETA: Oh, you might want to try skipping the oil, or follow Spidermom's lead and switch to a coney serum. My thinking is that oils tend to encourage lint to stick, and the powders may also be sticking to the oils in your hair.

Silver Strands
April 16th, 2009, 09:08 AM
If the house is secluded I guess you could wear a shower cap on your head while dealing with the mortar powders.

You could buy a cute colorful one. Burt's Bees sells one that has bees all over it.
I don't think i'd wear it in public, but to work on a house where no one will see it would be okay.

Islandgrrl
April 16th, 2009, 09:25 AM
I can tell you what I did when we were drywalling the bathroom....TONS of dust in the air and it covered EVERYTHING.

I braided my hair, bunned it in a low bun secured with just a couple of Good Days pins, and put a buff over my head to cover my hair completely. I secured the open end of the buff with a scrunchie and then put a baseball cap over top.

At the end of the day, my skin felt disgusting, but my hair was fine.

enfys
April 16th, 2009, 09:31 AM
Have you tried tying a scarf on your head, Rosie the Riveter WWII style so it's like a turban?

There are different methods to tie scarves with. You could even used a wide stretchy headband to cvover the seam if dust still gets in.

The turban scarf style is what my Nana used to wear to do all her housework; cleaning the chimney/coal fire place, beating the dust out of rugs etc. And her hair was pale blonde so soot would have shown. It's what I wear when I'm doing wood work and sanding.

I was thinking about doing a tutorial on this in the articles; I will work on that tonight.

Petra
April 16th, 2009, 09:49 AM
I worked in a lot of limestone quarries when I was doing my master's degree and that fine dust got EVERYWHERE. I ended up heavily oiling my dry hair beforehand and then having to shampoo after every quarry trip. Diluting the shampoo and using an occasional dilute clarifying shampoo helped. I think the oiling helped reduce any damage from more frequent shampooing.

Near the end of my work I figured out that wearing a soft bicycling hat or lycra swim cap over a bun or braid (crammed up in there) under my hard hat significantly reduced the dust getting to my hair.

Unfortunately, in the summer it was just way, way too hot for an extra layer and I ended up shampooing more often for that period of time.

Good luck!

LHGypsyRose
April 16th, 2009, 09:54 AM
Sounds like you've got lots of good advice already. Just wanted to say that I am so glad you brought this subject up. We are going to start building our house next year and I am so excited, but I haven't once thought of how it's going to affect my hair. Now I can atleast try to be prepared:)

Tabitha
April 16th, 2009, 10:09 AM
If the house is secluded I guess you could wear a shower cap on your head while dealing with the mortar powders.

You could buy a cute colorful one. Burt's Bees sells one that has bees all over it.
I don't think i'd wear it in public, but to work on a house where no one will see it would be okay.

Or you could wear a cheap thin disposable one (the kind they give away in hotels) and tie a scarf over it or fasten a Turbi twist towel over it. I do this when I'm doing a long soak CO.

Rohele
April 16th, 2009, 10:14 AM
Or you could wear a cheap thin disposable one (the kind they give away in hotels) and tie a scarf over it or fasten a Turbi twist towel over it. I do this when I'm doing a long soak CO.

We're renovating our house too, and I've been stuck with the job of taping/sanding the drywall. I do what Tabitha suggested, although I don't tie a scarf around it. The dust is impossible to wash out of hair, and very drying as well. I've also started using the occasion for a heavy pre-wash oiling if I'm planning to wash my hair that day - I figure if I have to wear an ugly showercap for a few hours, I might as well derive some extra benefit from it.

myotislucifugus
April 16th, 2009, 10:53 AM
When I worked on a research farm, there was all kinds of dust and debris in the air, so I used to make two braids, oil them, and pin them around my head. I'd take a bigger scarf (not a bandana, more like 1.5-2 ft long on one edge) and wear like a bandana, only I'd tie the knot over the point in the back. My mom used to say I looked like a chemo patient, but I think it was more babushka-esque and piratey.

*please note, this is not an insult to chemo patients, please don't anyone think I'm being disrespectful of cancer battles*

MoonCreature
April 16th, 2009, 11:12 AM

Unfortunetly this is right beside a popular road with lots of people walking by (and staring at what we are doing) so I think I will skip the shower cap, even if it's a exelent idea :p

I can tell you what I did when we were drywalling the bathroom....TONS of dust in the air and it covered EVERYTHING.

I braided my hair, bunned it in a low bun secured with just a couple of Good Days pins, and put a buff over my head to cover my hair completely. I secured the open end of the buff with a scrunchie and then put a baseball cap over top.

At the end of the day, my skin felt disgusting, but my hair was fine.

A buff! Why didn't I think of that? I will emediatly order one (or two) as I have been thinking of doing it anyway :D

Have you tried tying a scarf on your head, Rosie the Riveter WWII style so it's like a turban?

There are different methods to tie scarves with. You could even used a wide stretchy headband to cvover the seam if dust still gets in.

The turban scarf style is what my Nana used to wear to do all her housework; cleaning the chimney/coal fire place, beating the dust out of rugs etc. And her hair was pale blonde so soot would have shown. It's what I wear when I'm doing wood work and sanding.

I was thinking about doing a tutorial on this in the articles; I will work on that tonight.

I would be really intersted in a tutorial, if you get around to doing one :)

lapushka
April 16th, 2009, 11:28 AM
You could use these. They are like buffs, but made of softer materials! There are open ones, buff-like and hats.
http://www.etsy.com/shop.php?user_id=5415054

enfys
April 16th, 2009, 03:04 PM
I would be really intersted in a tutorial, if you get around to doing one :)

I don't think I'll get a chance tonight, but I may do tomorrow and get photos and whatnot up.

Oh, I didn't say earlier but OMG how cool you're building a house!!!!

Deborah
April 16th, 2009, 04:53 PM
They make really cute medical scrubs hats these days. I believe they cover all the hair, and some are really nice to look at.

Also, there are lots of spots on-line that sell nice, complete coverage hats and scarves and turbans intended for those experiencing hair loss. These should cover completely, and some are very cute.

Both of these types of head coverings are sold on ebay and etsy, as well as at numerous specialty sites.

enfys
April 16th, 2009, 05:11 PM
http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/vbjournal.php?do=article&articleid=126

There we go! Sorry the pics are super massive. It was a mission enough to put the article up! I hope it's helpful. It could cover a swim/shower cap at least. Double the protection.

CaraLynn
April 16th, 2009, 08:31 PM
I've done a lot of construction work and roofing with my dad and brothers....if no one's going to see/I don't care how I look I usually put it in a braided bun, a bandanna, and over that a baseball cap to keep everything that should be in in and all the yucky stuff out.

aisling
April 17th, 2009, 03:31 AM
Unfortunetly this is right beside a popular road with lots of people walking by (and staring at what we are doing) so I think I will skip the shower cap, even if it's a exelent idea :p

A buff! Why didn't I think of that? I will emediatly order one (or two) as I have been thinking of doing it anyway :D

Many Prisma markets and sport stuff stores carry Buffs in Finland as well.