PDA

View Full Version : Split ends - there has to be SOMETHING that i've missed!

baobhan sith
April 16th, 2009, 07:45 AM
They keep coming, and coming!:shudder:
I really have no idea what to do now.

Brief history:
Hardly ever used heat in the past (like couldn't be bothered even with drying my hair). When i did use it, it was a one off (eg. having my hair curled at a sleepover)

Never had a permenant dye, but had 2 semi-perms, with a lot of time in between them. I don't actually know how much damage they caused, my hair felt gorgeous afterwards! It was a lot less gorgeous before the conditioner though. They were both darker than my natural colour, so no bleach or anything icky.

I can't remember now, but i'm sure i was pretty rough with my hair, like ripping through it with a nubbly brush because i couldn't be bothered with taking the time to use my (seamed) comb.

I'm not sure how i used to wash my hair, sls and usually coney conditioner, every couple of days. not really over-washing, but probably scrubbing on my head.

Oh yeah, and i used to split my splits further, because it let me keep the length as only one half of the split came off :flower:

Okay, looking at that list now i'm wondering why i'm posting. It seems fairly obvious that they're probably from past evils to my hair. But this was all quite a long time ago now! a few years at least, but i've not had my hair cut much.

My problem is that even when i cut out all my splits with hair scissors, use CO (but avoiding any build-up), sleep with my hair in a different protective style each night (if i don't i wake up with a million new splits, i don't know if they just show up more, or if it actually causes them), detangle very carefully with an unseamed comb, use only hair friendly (well fairly) bobbles,

I STILL KEEP GETTING MORE. it's not always the ends splitting though, i get splits mid-length, so with perfectly healthy hair either side, like the little donut ones, which then snap, and leave me splits anything up to chin length in extreme occasions.

What more can i do? I've tried catnip rinses, but since my scalp doesn't like shampoo and ktani ( or someone in the catnip thread) found it didn't work so well over conditioner, it seems a bit pointless. and i don't have the patience for it really.

beyond that... just keep being nice to it and hope it forgives me?
It just doesn't seems fair that other people who straighten regularly, wash daily, tear through with nubbly brushes, blah blah have so much nicer hair than me :(

ETA: wow. i kind of went on a bit of a rant there. sorry about that, and cheese for anyone who makes it through!:cheese:

Anje
April 16th, 2009, 08:11 AM
Using gentle styles, protecting the hair, combing carefully to avoid breaking hair when it's in knots all help limit splits, and so does sufficient moisture, oils, and perhaps catnip and washing in cooler water. Nevertheless, some of us just plain get split hairs, and the best we can do is minimize them.

I have splits all through my length (very few at the actual ends), going up even above chin level. None of my current hair has ever been permed, flat ironed, curled, bleached, or treated with dyes that contain peroxide or ammonia (the length has seen an application or two of a ~6 shampoo wash-out dye). I've used henna, too, wear protective styles, and yet it splits.

So I'm trying catnip tea a bit more, trying to wash my hair in lukewarm water :shudder:, but to some extent, I have finally come to accept that split ends are a part of my life. They are for many longhairs, particularly fineys. It's OK, and if you can minimize them, they won't hurt the overall appearance of your hair.

Darkhorse1
April 16th, 2009, 08:23 AM
I found switching to soft elastics, such as terry ties or crocheted ones or scrunchies a lot gentler on my hair. As well as using braids rather than ponytails. I was very harsh on my hair a few years ago and it showed in the breakage.

I also use products that contain the dreaded 'cones' as I find it creates a barrier and protects my hair. I work outdoors/in the elements, so I try to keep my hair up in hot temps/high winds etc.

If you have long hair, splits are inevitable, as the hair will break near the ends. If they are up higher, I'd figure it's due to the hair styles/accessories you are using.

Best of luck to you :)

Petra
April 16th, 2009, 08:25 AM
I'm the same as Anje--I CWC with very mild shampoo, comb very gently, oil, very, very rarely blow dry with cool air and still have quite a few splits, I always have. I tried catnip and my scalp was not happy, although I love to drink it for tummy upsets! I guess splits are just part of my life and hairtype. I try not to worry about it too much and just treat my hair as gently as I can and let it grow splits and all. :shrug:

Sorry, probably not much help! :flowers:

baobhan sith
April 16th, 2009, 08:53 AM
Well, even if there isn't any more i can be doing - at least i'm not alone :) thankyou for your help :flower:

enfys
April 16th, 2009, 09:27 AM
Have you tried herbal washes? They work well with catnip, and if you don't get on with shampoo they could be a great alternative. I think they have helped strengthen my hair a little in just two months.

All my splits are over old dye, and I never got a lot of splits before. However, I have oiled regularly for abouyt the past 6 years. And don't use heat. So I'd say oil and cold are very good for hair.

Gutterfayrie
April 16th, 2009, 09:36 AM
I've been using a cone-free condish while I'm on Vacation back in Texas, and my splits are worse now then when I use cones:shrug:.

kdaniels8811
April 16th, 2009, 09:41 AM
Herbal washes may help and if your scalp does not like catnip, ponytail your hair and soak the tail in the catnip. Rinses do not do a thing for me, it has to be a good half hour soak but it is easy to dunk the pony tail and get it really wet then put a baggie over it secured with a soft ponytail holder. Keeps drips away and my hair gets the benefit of catnip while I go about my business. At home, of course, I have not ventured outside with my hair in a plastic bag... Smile! As I have stated in previous posts, catnip soaks have done wonders for my hair. I have not had any kind of trim in well over a year and found one single split when I looked in sunlight a few days ago. Good luck!

jojo
April 16th, 2009, 09:47 AM
My hair spits and breaks too and I have never treated my hair so nicely, I am thinking with me it with using bobbles/elastics. I am on a hair fork/stick only mission to see if this helps me, maybe this could be an option for you?

I think some hair is just prone to splits and breakage, other than be extra kind to your hair there isn't a whole lot more we can do, but it will still grow.

Firefly
April 16th, 2009, 10:11 AM
I baby my hair and still get splits. It's definitely all the past abuse that is causing it to misbehave now. I'm trying to hang in there (I don't want to chop off all the damaged ends, I'd loose too much length), and it's not easy!

Anyway, I hope it's not to late for my hair-- it USED to be the kind of hair that was healthy looking and strong; I hope I haven't damaged it for good.

Like others have said, it's nice to know I'm not alone in this!:)

RancheroTheBee
April 16th, 2009, 10:25 AM
As a side note, I just did a project on vampires and vampire-esque creatures, and the Baobhan Sith was one of them. You excited me needlessly first thing in the morning! :laugh:

Some people are just prone to them. The finer your hair is, the more likely it is to split no matter how nice you are to it. It could get better, though, over time. :flower:

myotislucifugus
April 16th, 2009, 10:45 AM
I would say that as unpleasant as they are, your hair may just split no matter how much work you put into it. Baby the ends to keep them manageable, and perhaps that will be enough.