PDA

View Full Version : A load of questions for all you beautiful haired people....

Jessclewlow
April 16th, 2009, 04:33 AM
ello everyone :)
i thought... cos im lazy and ive been trogging through a million articles on here trying to find answers to my questions (trust me i have lots) and whenever i snoop on the net... i find so much contradictory things ive given up... so...i thought id just ask them all in one place... and maybe others will find them useful too :) yes i will probably seem a bit of a hair no brainer asking half of this stuff... but hey ho... ;)

so here we go...

1. does that mane and tail stuff actually work?

2. i have hair that gets oily quickly but still suffers brakeage... should i still oil the ends? alsowhat on earth do i oil the ends with?

3. are there vitamins that can help with crappy hair? ( yes thats my new name for my hair haha) ive heard wellwoman are pretty good.

4. whats this cone stuff you are all talking about???

5. is it still ok to use my hair dryer if i put it on a slow setting and on cool???

6. is there anyway of making my fringe look straight... without actually ironing it?

7. do these heat protector spray things actually do any good?

8. which shampoo/conditioner do you guys recommend cos i have tried looooads!

9. how do you trim the dead ends off your hair round the back when you have a boyfriend that you SERIOUSLY wouldnt let loose on your hair with some playdoh scissors... nevermind ones that can actually cut it.

10. does your hair relate to your fingernail growth? cos my nails crack and split loads too... i thought they might have something to do with eachother.

11. have british hair dressers actually heard of a microtrim...? everytime i ask they just look at me like im asking them to create a miracle... then proceed to hack off inches! gah!

12. is it better to wear your hair up if your trying to grow it?

13. is it true that wearing your hair up too tight can actually have a negative affect?

14. should i pinup hair up for bed?

15. has anyone ever tried this 'dry shampoo' stuff... thats just like talc you spray into your hair? i tried it and it made my hair look white lol!

16. is there actually any healthy forms of hair dye?

17. can diet change & fitness boost hair growth?

18. why do i always seem to have long strands of hair fall out when i wash my hair :(

19. should i be massaging my scalp??

20. cucumbers?? are they as good as everyone says? ive heard they contain silica which is good for hair?

ok... that should take you lot a while.... ill give you a few mins before i start askign more ;) haha

Love Jess xx

enfys
April 16th, 2009, 05:04 AM
i thought... cos im lazy and ive been trogging through a million articles on here trying to find answers to my questions (trust me i have lots) and whenever i snoop on the net... i find so much contradictory things ive given up... so...i thought id just ask them all in one place... and maybe others will find them useful too :) yes i will probably seem a bit of a hair no brainer asking half of this stuff... but hey ho... ;)

so here we go...

Never tried it; I'm not a horse, and I wouldn't know where to get it!

2. i have hair that gets oily quickly but still suffers brakeage... should i still oil the ends? alsowhat on earth do i oil the ends with?
The most popular oils here I think are coconut and jojoba. Personally, jojoba soaks in better, so it's better for every day, and coconut is a bit heavier, so I use it only a few hours before I wash my hair or overnight if I can wash it in the morning. I usually can't because I work early.

3. are there vitamins that can help with crappy hair? ( yes thats my new name for my hair haha) ive heard wellwoman are pretty good.
Boots Skin, Hair & Nails gives me an inch+ of growth a month, and costs about £5/month, and is currently 3 for 2! It's a lot cheaper than Wellwoman and the ingrediants of all these things seem very similar.

It's short for silicone. Any ingredents with it tend to be called (unpronouncable word)-cone. It coats for hair so it can hide damage (bad thing if you don't know it's there) and it can cause gunky build-up. Cheapy own brand conditioners that cost under a pound tend to not have it.

5. is it still ok to use my hair dryer if i put it on a slow setting and on cool???
I still get scared of this. Theoretically it stops heat damage but your hair still blows about and can get tangled. I'm not alone in choosing air drying.

6. is there anyway of making my fringe look straight... without actually ironing it?
How curly is it? My hair can be a bit wavy and when I had a fringe it was enough to just wet it and brush it with a round brush until it air dried nicely.

I've never used them, but I imagine they are better than no protection but not as good as no heat.

The biggest worries are sodium laureth sulphate (SLS)and 'cones. Holland & Barratt have brought out a new range of Dr. Organic or something, and they don't contain anywhere near as many chemicals.

9. how do you trim the dead ends off your hair round the back when you have a boyfriend that you SERIOUSLY wouldnt let loose on your hair with some playdoh scissors... nevermind ones that can actually cut it.
Ask a girl friend to do it. Your mum, sister? A lot of people have a friend who is willing to do it if it is just straight across.

10. does your hair relate to your fingernail growth? cos my nails crack and split loads too... i thought they might have something to do with eachother.
My nails are rubbish, my hair's nice. I don't think they are related. I think my hair eats all the H,S & N vitamins though!

11. have british hair dressers actually heard of a microtrim...? everytime i ask they just look at me like im asking them to create a miracle... then proceed to hack off inches! gah!
I've never been to a hairdresser. They are business people, and they want to get business back in. George Michael (not the one from Wham) has a salon in London that's long hair friendly, but that's about it in this country.

A lot of people find it reduces friction, and as a result breakage. Also, if you wear it up for a while you can besurprised when you wear it down after a month and it's grown :cheese:

13. is it true that wearing your hair up too tight can actually have a negative affect?
It can pull and actually pull your hair out, looking like you have a receeding hairline, the bands etc you use to pull it back can cause breakage, and it will probobly be uncomfy!

Again, it's a friction thing. I prefer to, but I usually just plait it.

15. has anyone ever tried this 'dry shampoo' stuff... thats just like talc you spray into your hair? i tried it and it made my hair look white lol!
I quite like the Lee Stafford one, but baby talc is cheaper and does the same thing. To get rid of the white I rub it in with my fingers as well as brushing it with a BBB (boar bristle brush)

Henna is very popular here; it's very conditioning too.

Yup. A good diet means more vitamins and minerals, and more excercise means better circulation and that's good too.

18. why do i always seem to have long strands of hair fall out when i wash my hair :(
That's normal; a strand can only grow for a certian (variable between people) length of time. After that time it falls out, and washing or brushing is usually when we notice it.

It's a circulation thing again, so it has benefits. It feels nice too. I don't massage very often though; usually just once or twice a week before I wash my hair.

20. cucumbers?? are they as good as everyone says? ive heard they contain silica which is good for hair?
I don't know about the benefits, but they taste nice and are vegetables so they must be good in some way!

ok... that should take you lot a while.... ill give you a few mins before i start askign more ;) haha

Love Jess xx

Any good? I will try and find the article for newbies too.

Arctic
April 16th, 2009, 05:42 AM
I am overwhelmed with all those questions, and couldn't answer to most anyway, so I'll just add my warm welcomes to LHC!

Heads of hairs are just as individual as people, and what works for someone might not work for other, even if they have similar hair type. That being said, you might get best(?) ideas by looking into routines of people who do have hair similar to yours. I notice I am one of them (Hello hair twin!). You'll just have to try yourself if something works.

Remember trying one new thing at the time and recording the products and results helps you to know which actually works and which doesn't. (Journal/blog is great tool, which you can start after 25 quality posts + read other member's journals and profiles.)

Read all you can, learn all you can, jump into conversations and soon you'll be hair guru yourself! :flowers:

sagebabies
April 16th, 2009, 05:56 AM
Hello. I just wanted to say welcome. I'm pretty new here too and was completely overwhelmed when I first joined. I've spent a lot of time looking at the VIT's and the articles. Keep reading and exploring and things will start to fall into place. I still have lots of questions, so I keep reading and searching. Good luck!

lora410
April 16th, 2009, 06:21 AM
1. does that mane and tail stuff actually work? I have used it before but I can’t guarantee it works. I make my own scalp massage oil and that seems to help a lot.

2. i have hair that gets oily quickly but still suffers brakeage... should i still oil the ends? alsowhat on earth do i oil the ends with? Yes oil comes from the scalp and rarely makes it to the ends of hair. I use avocado, olive oil, coconut oil, etc. You apply from ears down and quite literally you only need a drop or you will get oily hair. Some people prefer just oiling on a day they plan to wash; I however use it daily
3. are there vitamins that can help with crappy hair? ( yes thats my new name for my hair haha) ive heard wellwoman are pretty good. I take MSM, Biotin, multi, flax oil, fish oil, evening primrose. All are good for the body and hair but other people take different ones like sea kelp and siica
4. whats this cone stuff you are all talking about??? It is called dimethicone. It basically coats the hair shaft to seal moisture in, but to much of a buildup can make hair dry and break which is why a lot of cone users clarify their hair after about a month. Some are water soluble meaning they come off the hair upon rinsing5. is it still ok to use my hair dryer if i put it on a slow setting and on cool??? You can but remember to much of any air can cause damage although the lowest setting it the safest.

6. is there anyway of making my fringe look straight... without actually ironing it? Some people have methods of doing this like wrapping, but I am not an expert since I don’t straighten my wavy hair
7. do these heat protector spray things actually do any good? They do protect you but only to a certain point. There is moisture inside the hair shaft and to much heat will case the hair shaft to bust. Nightshade should come along with her scary picts ;)
8. which shampoo/conditioner do you guys recommend cos i have tried looooads! I use Avalon organics biotin b complex shampoo and just a non cone conditioner. If you have a greasy scalp try a drop of tea tree oil to your shampoo when washing
9. how do you trim the dead ends off your hair round the back when you have a boyfriend that you SERIOUSLY wouldnt let loose on your hair with some playdoh scissors... nevermind ones that can actually cut it. I tie my hair in a pony and trim that way. Feye has a self trim method people use and I think that is in the articles

10. does your hair relate to your fingernail growth? cos my nails crack and split loads too... i thought they might have something to do with eachother. My nails used to break very easily until I started taking vitamins daily.Now they are quite strong. 2.
11. have british hair dressers actually heard of a microtrim...? everytime i ask they just look at me like im asking them to create a miracle... then proceed to hack off inches! gah! You are better off always doing your own trims or you could have them show you how much they plan to cut as a MICROTRIM before they cut it
12. is it better to wear your hair up if your trying to grow it? If you want to ignore it and not focus on it a lot it is better to wear it up; however it all depends on personal preference

13. is it true that wearing your hair up too tight can actually have a negative affect? Yes it can cause breakage and put strain on your roots and that can cause root damage if done to much

14. should i pinup hair up for bed? That is preference as well. Some use a cap, some braid, some bun and some leave it loose
15. has anyone ever tried this 'dry shampoo' stuff... thats just like talc you spray into your hair? I haven’t tried it

16. is there actually any healthy forms of hair dye? Henna :D

17. can diet change & fitness boost hair growth? Yes it sure can
18. why do i always seem to have long strands of hair fall out when i wash my hair. It is very normal for some hair shed. Hair has a growth cycle and when that is up it sheds and grows a new hair. Most hair survives 6 years.
19. should I be massaging my scalp?? If you want. I massage on wash day with my scalp oil20. cucumbers?? are they as good as everyone says? ive heard they contain silica which is good for hair? I can’t say I have tried that avocados are very good for hair on it or eating it :)

Jessclewlow
April 16th, 2009, 06:22 AM
:D hey guys. thanks for all the help! its good that i aint the only one who has a nightmare with her hair i guess! i wish it was like my partners... why does blokes hair always seem to grow like a weed! grrr :D
im gunna keep playing about... then ill start my journal and all going well ill have lucious locks before long :D

btw... HELLO HAIR TWIN :D

enfys
April 16th, 2009, 06:54 AM
http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/vbjournal.php?do=article&articleid=39

Here you go! Ursula's Standard Newbie Advice! This give loads of advice on how to wash etc.

Oh, and it's cool you're a tattoo artist! I've never had a lady artist; I was chuffed enough to find a left handed man haha.

Tap Dancer
April 16th, 2009, 06:55 AM
I think it's okay, but no better or worse than other shampoos and conditioners.

Play around with some oils. Everyone's hair likes different things. I'm not a big fan of oils, although I'll use a little coconut on the ends sometimes.

I take vitamins everyday, but I take them for the health of my body; I don't know that they do anything for my hair.

Do a search and you'll find tons of info. :)

If you have to use heat, that's the best option.

I used to wash mine in the sink each morning and blowdry it. Since you trim that hair often to keep it short, you don't need to worry much about damage.

I've never used them because I don't use heat on my hair. If I did, I'd try them.

That's like the question about oils: different things work for different people/hair types.

Huh?? :confused:

I don't know... My hair and nails both grow well, so maybe?

I'm an American, so I can't help you there. Always be sure to tell your hairdresser exactly what you want. If he/she doesn't seem to understand, leave. Keep looking for someone who will do what you want.

A lot of people here like buns and braids. I either leave my hair down or wear a ponytail. Personal preference.

Yes. Pulling it too tightly (a lot) can cause breakage and hair loss.

Try a sleep bonnet (tenderheaded.com sells some) if you want to contain your hair without putting it up. I have a few, but I usually leave my hair down while I sleep.

I've used it and I have dark brown hair. The secret is to use just a little and brush throughly.

Henna.

My diet hasn't affected my growth. You may want to talk to a doctor; each person's body is different.

18. why do i always seem to have long strands of hair fall out when i wash my hair
Shedding is normal.

I don't, but lots of people do. Try it and see if you like it.

I've used cucumbers on my eyes. I don't eat them, though.

Jessclewlow
April 16th, 2009, 06:59 AM
http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/vbjournal.php?do=article&articleid=39

Here you go! Ursula's Standard Newbie Advice! This give loads of advice on how to wash etc.

Oh, and it's cool you're a tattoo artist! I've never had a lady artist; I was chuffed enough to find a left handed man haha.

hahaha yes i am a female tattooist :D good eh!

janeytilllie
April 16th, 2009, 07:46 AM
Welcome to TLHC :flower:

I haven't personally tried it. I have heard humans can use it, but it's very heavy.

I have a oily scalp and very dry ends.
I will only oil my ends. because my scalp gets really greasy. There are many oils you can use. Jojoba is a light oil, Almond is also light and Grapeseed. Castor oil is heavy and coconut oil. I use coconut oil.

I use a Boots Multi Vitamins. The vitamins hair likes are Zinc,Boitin,Iodine and B vitamins. I have also heard kelp and brewers yeast are good for hair

Cones are in conditioners they coat the hair. Some people find cones can build up on the hair.

I think it should be ok. But the hair will need protection

I have a curly fringe that is insane lol :) I use the blowdryer on a cool setting

I used to use them but they didn't do anything for me.

I have recently purchased a chemical free shampoo and conditioner. Faith in Nature Rosemary shampoo and Hemp conditioner. I love these! :D

I S+D (search and destroy). I will only trim a split if I see one. I do not go for trims

I am not sure about his? My nails grow strong and quick but hair is a different story lol

I avoid my hairdressers where I live They scare me :shudder:

I think so. It helps me to avoid knots, tangles and damage. I put hair up in a simple bun with a hairstick.

I think so. I think its best to find a happy balance not to tight or lose

I braid mine and then put it a sleep cap

Nope never tried it :)

henna :)

Indeed it can! ;)

18. why do i always seem to have long strands of hair fall out when i wash my hair
I have this too.
its shedding hair :).

I do. I think it helps and it feels good! :D

Not sure? :shrug:

Darkhorse1
April 16th, 2009, 08:15 AM
Welcome to LHC! I'm sure you're going to get a bunch of answers, so enjoy! :)

1. does that mane and tail stuff actually work? As I work with horses, mane and tail was designed to help moisturize a horse's skin/coat. horses have very, very coarse manes and tails, and this product was designed to prevent the tail/mane from damage due to outdoor living--burrs that get into manes/tails are very destructive, as well as other things. Mane and tail is very, very heavy to coat a horse's type thickness of hair, which is much, much thicker than humans. There is a human version of mane and tail, but I found it to be very heavy for my hair. I've heard good things about the detangler spray mist though

2. i have hair that gets oily quickly but still suffers brakeage... should i still oil the ends? alsowhat on earth do i oil the ends with? I have the same problem, and I oil only m y ends. I use this routine: oil ends with olive oil. I wash my hair upside down in the tub, rahter than in the shower as I can't get my scalp clean when showering. I put olive oil on either dry or wet ends. Let sit, then I do a major clarifying. Make sure you have a good clarifying shampoo or else your ends will look greasy. Works amazingly to soften hair, but hte only thing to rid split ends is to cut them.

3. are there vitamins that can help with crappy hair? ( yes thats my new name for my hair haha) ive heard wellwoman are pretty good. Healthy diet that includes protein and omega 3 fatty acids have been proven to help hair. I know a friend of mine in Europe uses fish oil tablets as well. If you smoke/drink, this can dry hair out and make it brittle at the ends and greasy at the roots.

4. whats this cone stuff you are all talking about??? Cones are in reference to additives in shampoos/conditioners called dimethocones, silicones etc. They are added to products to create more 'slip' when washing hair. hair is very delicate when wet, so having a product with 'slip' can protect hair from damage when wet. Trouble is, for some people, it causes more problems. I find I need Cone products due to my lifestyle

A hair dryer is damaging due to the heat and the intensity of how harsh the wind is blowing on your hair. Once your hair is moving about, it's tangling with itself, so it can cause breakage. I've read that if you need to blow dry, just do the roots of your hair and let the ends dry, but that's a personal choice. I think a cool setting is fine, but may take longer to dry your hair.

6. is there anyway of making my fringe look straight... without actually ironing it? A friend of mine would use pins to flatten her fringe as she has curly hair. I myself have wave, but find it will do what it wants. I tend to comb out my fringe straight and find that helps.

7. do these heat protector spray things actually do any good? I haven't tried any of those.

Pantene Clarifying shampoo, Herbal Essense Degunkify shampoo, Pantene moisture renewel conditioner, Joico integrity spray on/leave in conditioner

9. how do you trim the dead ends off your hair round the back when you have a boyfriend that you SERIOUSLY wouldnt let loose on your hair with some playdoh scissors... nevermind ones that can actually cut it. Slowly. You can do mini-trims, like just snip the tiny dead ends, but I get my ends trimmed about a 1/4 inch every 3-4 months

10. does your hair relate to your fingernail growth? cos my nails crack and split loads too... i thought they might have something to do with eachother. I find no similarity. My nails are very soft, so I keep them short. But, in my line of work, long nails wouldn't be practical

11. have british hair dressers actually heard of a microtrim...? everytime i ask they just look at me like im asking them to create a miracle... then proceed to hack off inches! gah! I tend to ask my hair dresser just to 'neated' up my ends--to make it even, rather than take any off. If they are unsure, show them how little you want.

12. is it better to wear your hair up if your trying to grow it? I love my hair loose because I love the feeling. Studies will say hair is less prone to damage when tied up, so that's a personal choice.

13. is it true that wearing your hair up too tight can actually have a negative affect? I've read this and noticed more breakage with tight french braids. Mostly though, my scalp gets sensitive in tight styles, so I avoid them

14. should i pinup hair up for bed? I don't. I used to, but found it didn't do much. I think it's a personal choice

15. has anyone ever tried this 'dry shampoo' stuff... thats just like talc you spray into your hair? i tried it and it made my hair look white lol! Never used dry shampoo, but have tried baby powder to absorb oil. Didn't work very well.

16. is there actually any healthy forms of hair dye? I was told a demi-permanent/semi permanent color is gentler on hair as it lays on the shaft rather than being absorbed into it. But, any color alteration is chemical and can dry hair.

17. can diet change & fitness boost hair growth? Yes in terms of healthy hair. When I was at my fittest, my hair had no split ends and was shiny and full of body. When I ate poorly, my hair was greasy at the roots, brittle ends and dry.

18. why do i always seem to have long strands of hair fall out when i wash my hair We shed up to 100 hairs a day. If you don't wash your hair daily, it will seem like you are losing more than you are.

19. should i be massaging my scalp?? It can't hurt, but isn't necessary

Never tried that because I find cucumbers too darn tasty. :)

Nightshade
April 16th, 2009, 09:24 AM
7. do these heat protector spray things actually do any good? They do protect you but only to a certain point. There is moisture inside the hair shaft and to much heat will case the hair shaft to bust. Nightshade should come along with her scary picts ;)

:lol:

The damaged hair pics are all in the Damaged Hair article in my siggy

But here's a preview:twisted:

http://www.pg.com/science/haircare/hair_twh_110/hair_03.jpg http://www.pg.com/science/haircare/hair_twh_74/hair_twh_74_03.jpg
Here is a case where the hair has been overheated to the point where the moisture inside has started to boil, permanently damaging both the cortex and the cuticle. Eventually the hair will break down and split, sometimes into a "white dot" which is just a split in the center of the hair. The second picture shows
a case of trichorrhexis nodosa (white dot), where the cortex was disrupted by an overheated hair dryer.

Jessclewlow
April 16th, 2009, 10:02 AM
man... them photos actually made me feel a tad queezy... to think thats what some of my hair is like that :( how depressing...!
think i need to get some photos of my annoying hair so you can all have a laugh at the frizz :D

Nightshade
April 16th, 2009, 10:12 AM
man... them photos actually made me feel a tad queezy... to think thats what some of my hair is like that :( how depressing...!
think i need to get some photos of my annoying hair so you can all have a laugh at the frizz :D

Knowing is half the battle. You should have seen how trashed and damaged my hair was when I first came here :( So we sympathize :grouphug:

Really give the damaged hair article a read, there's loads of good stuff in there. I'd really recommend Fox's Shea Butter Conditioning cream to help with the frizz (I know it's linked in the article).

Eden Iris
April 16th, 2009, 10:37 AM
why does blokes hair always seem to grow like a weed! grrr :D

Because a lot of guys don't do a thing with their hair other than wash it when it's dirty. This is a system known as benign neglect, about which you will learn more as you read through this site.

Welcome, and happy growing!

LHGypsyRose
April 16th, 2009, 10:40 AM
Woo Hoo, more Q & A:D What the heck..I'm bored anyway.

Umm..I guess that would depend on what you mean by "does it work", but if your asking if it's any good, well.. I use to use it all the time when I was a teenager and it seemed to keep my hair in good condition. Now I don't think it acctually makes the hair grow or anything like that if thats what your wondering.

If your ends get brittle and break easy..then I would suggest keeping them moist and trying coconut and jojoba oil on them. Couldn't hurt to see how it works for you. Just don;t use it on the scalp unless your about to wash scince it gets oily anyway.

I think Vitamins are good for you, and where they won't quickly work miracles (as most things don't), they couldn't hurt either.

Correct if I'm wrong ladies, but it is any ingredient (usually in conditioner) that ends in cone. Supposedly it traps moiture from entering the hair shaft. Some people love cones, even a few ladies around here that have hair longer than my own, but some people don't even use them..like me.

I think it is ok to use on cool.

:hmm:

I bet they have cones in them:D

I like Giovanni Organics (although its not completely organic anymore). I also like using Meera hair wash, its from Indian and Herbal. Ooo and I like Aubrey Organics, but these are just my preferences.

hehe..don't blame you there. I can;t answer this scince I only started trimming my hair after it was already long..and I think it might be easier to cut your own hair if it's long rather than short.:shrug:

No, my hair is long and strong..and my nails are brittle short and probably alot like yours.

I better not get on this subject again.:rolleyes:

I do think it helps alot. It keeps the ends out of harms way..and it helps you not think about your hair alot, benign neglect I think they call it.

I imagine that it could pull the hair out and maybe even cause it to break.

I don't. I guess it's just a matter of preferance.

Hmm..nope, never heard of it.

Lets all say it together..1..2...3 HENNA! Yay! lol

Definitely yes.

It's normal, everyone sheds hair this way, everyday. Some more than others.

Another one of those things that couldn't hurt. It increases circulation in the scalp which stimulates the hair folicles and helps your hair grow:) It feels good too:D

Hmm..I hope so!

Euphony
April 16th, 2009, 10:48 AM
I want to say welcome!

I also want to add that 'beautiful hair' is relative, what I find beautiful, someone else may not. My family's little calico is nicknamed Super Cute, a neighbor saw her in our yard one day and she (the cat) came over to me. Neighbor asked if kitty was mine, I said yep - neighbor said "I've been trying to figure out who owned that little ugly cat" - beauty is in the eye of the beholder (but the cat is Super Cute :D ).

So based on what you may find beautiful and what I may find beautiful I figure I won't answer the questions. That and there's oh so many of them. I agree with Arctic - search for hairtwins and find your match, it really helps.

jojo
April 16th, 2009, 12:41 PM
[quote=Jessclewlow;550235]ello everyone :)

1. does that mane and tail stuff actually work? I tried it, it made my hair dry and horrible.

2. i have hair that gets oily quickly but still suffers brakeage... should i still oil the ends? alsowhat on earth do i oil the ends with? Wash your hair as often as needed, coconut or jojoba oil are to start with, its all trial and error, what one hair loves another hates!

3. are there vitamins that can help with crappy hair? ( yes thats my new name for my hair haha) ive heard wellwoman are pretty good. Biotin and a good multi vitamin are ok but nothing beats a healthy diet, with plenty of water and exersize.

4. whats this cone stuff you are all talking about??? short for silicones an ingredient in conditioners, some hair loves them (mine does) they can help to coat the hair shaft and protect from enviromental damage, some peoples hair goes dry with them, again trial and error.

5. is it still ok to use my hair dryer if i put it on a slow setting and on cool??? Well I do occassionally and so do others

6. is there anyway of making my fringe look straight... without actually ironing it? put a line of elastics, clips or just keep combing it until dry or even flat ironing wont be too bad, if your keeping a fringe its cut often enough to get rid of damage!

7. do these heat protector spray things actually do any good? yes and no, although they protect the hair, they do contain chemicals which may harm the hair by making it weaker IMHO

8. which shampoo/conditioner do you guys recommend cos i have tried looooads! I use soapnuts to wash my hair as its natural and has no aditives, I use tigi moisture manic which my hair loves.

9. how do you trim the dead ends off your hair round the back when you have a boyfriend that you SERIOUSLY wouldnt let loose on your hair with some playdoh scissors... nevermind ones that can actually cut it. Look up fayes cutting instructions, i use these as do loads more on here with good results or go to a mans barbers, cheap and they normally do what you want.

10. does your hair relate to your fingernail growth? cos my nails crack and split loads too... i thought they might have something to do with eachother. I bite mine, but basically hair and nails are made of the same protein known as keritin(sp)

11. have british hair dressers actually heard of a microtrim...? everytime i ask they just look at me like im asking them to create a miracle... then proceed to hack off inches! gah! tell them to just dust the ends, they shoud understand

Yes, it stops hair from getting caught on handbags and such and prevents the wind and rain whipping it up and causing snags and damage.
13. is it true that wearing your hair up too tight can actually have a negative affect? yes it can cause traction alopecia, where the hair on the hairline can get weakened and cause thinning or even bald spots.

14. should i pinup hair up for bed? if your a tosser and turner then yes, either in a braid or even invest in a sleep cap. A silk pillowcase will also help.

15. has anyone ever tried this 'dry shampoo' stuff... thats just like talc you spray into your hair? i tried it and it made my hair look white lol! years ago, but i cant remember the results.

16. is there actually any healthy forms of hair dye? yes henna is actually very good for the hair, as long as you want red hair

17. can diet change & fitness boost hair growth? you are what you eat, eat healthy and it will show in your hair and vice versa.

18. why do i always seem to have long strands of hair fall out when i wash my hair :( because they have reached there natural growth cycle and fall out to make room for a new hair which will take its place.

19. should i be massaging my scalp?? you could if you can be bothered, but if you have greesy hair, this may make it worse! some on here have had good results with growth from doing this. for me lifes too short!

20. cucumbers?? are they as good as everyone says? ive heard they contain silica which is good for hair? There full of silica which is good for hair.

Hope that helps!! xx

morguebabe
April 16th, 2009, 12:51 PM
Thats a whole lot you should search around just a little bit.
:cheese::cheese:

so here we go...

For what? Its makes my hair soft sure...but be warned it makes my color thats months old run off....Also NOTHING you apply to your hair and wash with will make it grow faster or thicker..it's topical and washed off.

You can oil with a number of things...what works for my dry/oily hair may not work for yours. I personally use Almond oil, EVOO, Coconut Oil, Monoi oil, grapeseed oil..anything really

check this out http://www.longhaircareforum.com/forums/archive/index.php/t-220.html

anything on your ingriedent list that ends with cone. Silicone, Dimethicone..etc.

Shrugs...if your hair is ok with it.

I flat iron my bangs but they are thinner then the rest of my hair which never gets heat styled ever.

I doubt it to be honest..

Again depends on your hair and your budget and HOW and wash..etc.

go to a barbar shop

Not really no. At least I don't think so ....

?

Stick around and try things, it's not what works for everyone kind of thing.

yes I think...

I do to avoid tangles.
I sometimes put baby powder in it and BBB it out.

Henna, and Indigo are. Also look in health food stores... http://www.naturalhairdye.com/color/naturtint/naturtintp/index.html Try google or ewg.org

Yes
Everyone sheds.

YOu should do whatever you like for you..its all about trying things..none of us follow a bible of end all be all hair rules.

Love Jess xx

susiemw
April 16th, 2009, 08:02 PM
Hello and welcome to LHC!

so here we go... you'll find that we all have lots of
opinions on these topics. You'll still have to sort through
some contradictory information. We all have different types
of hair and what works for one may not work for another.

I used it once, I didn't like it. never used it again. It's been
too long to remember why I didn't like it... I think I found
it very drying.

My scalp gets oily but not the rest of my hair so yes, i will
sometimes oil my hair. However, lately, I think my hair preferes that I do nothing to my hair. Wash and condition is it.

As for oiling your hair.... there are tons of oils out there that you can use. Olive oil (grab it from your kitchen!) camelia oil,
coconut oil, etc

yes, since lots of our diets aren't adequate and even if they were, the vitamin and mineral content of our food are
considerably less than they were 50 years ago supplementing
can be a very good idea.

I think so. I've started using my dryer again but I don't
bake my hair and I like the cool button. I don't have a
problem with that. Some people might not be able to get
away with it but I suspect most people could. After all,
it's the heat that is damaging.

I'm not help with this. I have to use a dandruff shampoo so I use a selenium sulfide shampoo and that works great.
I use Suave or VO5 as a conditioner... though i really use it more as a detangler than a conditioner.

Ask someone else: mother, sister, neighbor, best friend.

or: don't cut it.
I don't. That's why it grows!

Another suggestion would be to just do a "search and
destroy" and trim the split ends only.

this is going to be one of those it may or may not thing.
but if your vitamin deficient it could effect both your hair and
nails.

I avoid scissors like the plague.
hairstylists seem to LOVE scissors and never seem to have
the same definition of "inch" as I do. LOL.

it keeps it out of the way... I dont' think it's a necessity.
My hair is warm so I like to wear it up for comfort not
to help improve hair growth.

Yes, it can cause traction alopecia... which is hair loss
due to having the hair chronically pulled to tight.

I don't think you have to, that's a personal decision.
I like to have my hair braided or on the top of my
head for bed.

I used it once a long time ago,
I thought it was a great idea
in concept but not in execution but maybe I used
too much.

Now when I want to get rid of the oily scalp I just
stick the top of my head under the faucet and wash
and rinse the top of my head. It works really well.

yes. same for skin and nails.

Because of the way hair grows in cycles, you will always
have some hair that is in the shed part of the cycle.

I love a good scalp massage ... and it would increase
circulation to the area so it might be a good idea.

Interesting. I've never heard that.

good luck Jess!

Susan

Jessclewlow
April 17th, 2009, 02:50 AM
hey thanks everyone for helping me out - im sure it kept you all busy ;) and really appreciate the advice.... think im going to hunt for a hair twin to annoy..
ive read the newby advice too which im going to give a go... so will let you know the results :D xxx

luv jess

JamieLeigh
April 17th, 2009, 05:30 PM
I honestly have not tried it since high school. And that was 12 years ago. When I had knee-length hair, I used it, but I really can't remember the advantages/disadvantages of it. :confused:

I use extra-virgin olive oil. I haven't tried anything else yet, since it's working well so far. And I normally just oil the last 6" of my hair.

I've used GNC's "Hair, Skin & Nails Formula" and also some drug-store varieties of the same thing, and have had good results from it. It has 3000mcg of biotin, along with other goodies. :)

Silicones, one of the ingredients in many conditioners. They attach themselves to the hair shaft, and can hide damage by making your hair appear smooth and silky. Basically, they camouflage the problem, instead of solving it.

Some people still do this - I just stay away from heating products altogether.

Short of combing it straight while it's still wet, so that it dries that way, I have no idea - I haven't had a short fringe in 16 years, lol.

No clue - I don't use heat.

I recommend Suave products. The clarifying shampoo has given me great results, and so has the Suave Naturals tropical coconut condish. :D

Some use Feye's method, but I use mirrors. :)

They definitely feed off of the same vitamins! My "Hair, Skin & Nails" vitamins have certainly helped both my hair and nails (and skin...who'd have thought? ;))

I'm in Alabama, USA, so again I have no clue lol.

Wearing it up is definitely a great protection against damage....but what's the fun of growing it out if you can't wear it loose once in awhile to show it off? :D

Yes - it could cause breakage!

There are mixed reviews on bedtime care - some people sleep in braids, some sleep with it loose (I do), and some sleep with it bunned on top of their heads. Whatever you think works best for you!

NEVER! I have no idea if this works!

Henna is healthIER than boxed hair dye, but really leaving it alone and your natural color is really the healthIEST way to go.

Yes it can. The better you treat your body, the better your hair will look. :)

Shedding is normal hair progression, and it happens to everyone. It's part of life. You're probably leaving hairs everywhere you sit and lay down, but it's just more noticeable to be touching your head and have a strand or few come out in your hand.

Sometimes improving scalp circulation can help with hair growth, yes. But overstimulation can actually have a negative impact, so don't overdo it!!

I have never heard anything positive or negative about cucumbers, concerning hair.

Runzel
April 17th, 2009, 08:07 PM
Welcome! As a newbie myself, those questions are a bit too much for me to handle! But I've personally seen a huge difference with my hair after making these three changes:

Wash only once or twice a week, at most
Stop ripping through my hair with a brush and either gently comb with a wide-toothed comb or else use fingers
Put my hair up everyday (a ponytail doesn't count, for me) so that it's all contained and has the change to stay in good condition. Kind of like boxing away a wedding gown and putting it in the attic--sure, you don't get to see it in all its glory as much, but then again the fact that you're carefully tucking it away is the very reason why it retains that glory throughout the years.If your nails are prone to cracking and your hair is prone to damage, I'd guess that your body isn't very healthy. No matter how many supplements you take, there's really no way to trick your hair into believing it's healthy unless you actually are healthy. So I'd suggest working towards making healthy lifestyle choices before focusing in on your hair if your goal is healthy hair....but that's just my 2 cents...

Cinnamon Hair
April 17th, 2009, 08:10 PM
I will give them all a shot. :D

1. does that mane and tail stuff actually work? Never tried it myself but have read that it's filled with 'cones and there are way better things out there...it's all hype. If you want lots of 'cones I recommend L'oreal Mega Moisture in the yellow tub green lid from Sally's Beauty Supply. That stuff is awesome.

2. i have hair that gets oily quickly but still suffers brakeage... should i still oil the ends? alsowhat on earth do i oil the ends with? Jojoba oil, sunflower oil (this one is available at Walmart in the cooking oil section), Monoi oil ...there are lots of others too. Only use a drop or two. If you overdo it they will look greasy. Or else, oil the night before washing.

3. are there vitamins that can help with crappy hair? ( yes thats my new name for my hair haha) ive heard wellwoman are pretty good. Probably, but that's not my area :) Check out this article (http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/vbjournal.php?do=article&articleid=74) by a member here named Igor. She knows her stuff!

4. whats this cone stuff you are all talking about??? Another article for you (http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/vbjournal.php?do=article&articleid=13), this one is by Pariate explaining 'cones. Short for silicone. Sometimes I use them, sometimes not. They are good for detangling my hair but can cause buildup and then they're not so great.

5. is it still ok to use my hair dryer if i put it on a slow setting and on cool??? I wouldn't but you have to choose your poisons. Hair dryers cause tangles and mechanical damage from blowing the strands around. They also zap all the moisture out. Some members here will great looking hair do use them though so YMMV (your mileage may vary).

6. is there anyway of making my fringe look straight... without actually ironing it? Again not my area. Moving on...

7. do these heat protector spray things actually do any good? More not my area, but I would guess they coat your hair in silicone to protect it. Don't know if they are effective at all since I don't blowdry myself.

8. which shampoo/conditioner do you guys recommend cos i have tried looooads! My favorite shampoo is Kenra Moisture available at Salons and places like Trade Secret which is in a lot of malls.

About Kenra
Shampoos: Almost all shampoos use the same surfactant: Sodium Laureth Sulfate. This substance has a problem: it's made up of molecules small enough to penetrate the hair shaft, depleting its moisture and damaging its internal structure. Kenra uses Sodium Myreth Sulfate. It's made up of larger molecules - too large to permeate a hair shaft. This enables Kenra Shampoos to clean as well as the alternatives, without their drying drawbacks. The result: an effective cleanser that is still gentle and mild on hair and skin.
That's why I like Kenra.
For conditioner my favorite cone variety is L'Oreal Mega Moisture avail. at Sally's Beauty Supply. Favorite non-cones is a close race, but for today I'll go with Biolage Conditioning Balm which is a salon or Trade Secret store product.

9. how do you trim the dead ends off your hair round the back when you have a boyfriend that you SERIOUSLY wouldnt let loose on your hair with some playdoh scissors... nevermind ones that can actually cut it. All hair is dead once it leaves the root. Split ends, on the other hand, you can trim by doing S&D (Search and Destroy) missions. That's where you buy quality scissors for $10+ (I recommend getting them at Sally's Beauty Supply) and bring your hair around to the front in small sections, checking each strand's end for a split, then cutting right above the split. I don't do this because it kills my eyes and there are around 150,000 hairs on the human head, but lots of people here swear by S&D.

10. does your hair relate to your fingernail growth? cos my nails crack and split loads too... i thought they might have something to do with eachother. They are made of the same material. I don't know if there is a relation. Some people have said taking hair vitamins makes their nails grow fast too, so maybe. Then again I have crappy nails, so maybe not. :)

11. have british hair dressers actually heard of a microtrim...? everytime i ask they just look at me like im asking them to create a miracle... then proceed to hack off inches! gah! Maybe next time tell them how many CM you want cut then ask them to show you where they plan to cut before they start.

12. is it better to wear your hair up if your trying to grow it? Updos will protect it from damage. They also cause a bit of damage from putting stress on the hair, but I think that is much less than wearing it down would. I wear updos daily.

13. is it true that wearing your hair up too tight can actually have a negative affect? If you wear it super give-yourself-a-facelift tight over a long period of time days/weeks/more? it could cause traction allopecia (fancy name for major hair loss!). Likely it feel so uncomfortable that you would not wear it that tight.

14. should i pinup hair up for bed? Either that or get a silk or satin pillowcase. I wear a sleep cap (available in the ethnic section at drugstores).

15. has anyone ever tried this 'dry shampoo' stuff... thats just like talc you spray into your hair? i tried it and it made my hair look white lol! No but some people here brush baking soda (or is it powder?) through through dry hair to remove grease. I haven't tried either because I CO (conditioner only) wash daily.

16. is there actually any healthy forms of hair dye? Henna and indigo. There is a whole board (http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/forumdisplay.php?f=21) for it here. I have not tried them.

17. can diet change & fitness boost hair growth? Depends on how bad your diet / fitness is to begin with. It is possible.

18. why do i always seem to have long strands of hair fall out when i wash my hair :( That is good. If you are worried about it then check the shed strands for a root bulb at one end. If they don't have a root bulb then they are breakage rather than the natural shed that happens at the end of each hair's life cycle. First they grow, then they go dormant for 6 months or so, then they shed and a new hair replaces it. Normal shed rate is from 50-100 hairs a day. If you're in that range or under then you're good to go.

19. should i be massaging my scalp?? If you want to. It can't hurt! Massaging can increase blood supply to the scalp which improves growth (supposedly). Not something I do regularly.

20. cucumbers?? are they as good as everyone says? ive heard they contain silica which is good for hair? I know nothing about cukes except that I love homemade pickles.

leahrachelle
April 17th, 2009, 10:04 PM
1.) Mane & Tail makes your hair very soft and I believe strong as well, but it's not my favorite.
3.) I would say just take regular vitamins. The healthier you are, the healthier your hair will be.
5.) It's still damaging, but it isn't as bad.
7.) I would say they do.
10.) I'm pretty sure it does.
12.) Probably because it damages your hair less.
13.) I think.
14.) I would suggest it.
17.) Yes, definately!
19.) I hear it helps stimulate hair growth, so I would try it.

viking_quest
April 17th, 2009, 11:43 PM
So many questions.

I, personally, have never tried it but I've heard positive and negative comments about it. I've heard that people like the shampoo but the conditioner is full of cones and weights down hair. Even though there is a formula for humans I wouldn't recommend it unless you have coarser hair because otherwise I imagine will will weigh down other hair types.

I don't oil because I'm lazy but I would recommend it. The majority of people use coconut oil and jojoba oil. Coconut oil is a bit thicker while jojoba is closer in texture to sebum.

A multivitamin would be my first guess because if you're lacking in any nutrients it will supply those for you. If you want to grow faster I recommend prenatals and biotin.

Cone is short for silicones. Silicones coat your hair and "glue" split ends together but lock out moisture so over time your hair ends up drier. For some people going cone-less works and for others it doesn't, YMMV. It's all just trial and error.

It's okay to use it on that setting but your hair will take forever to dry and you will still have some damage but much less damage than on a super setting.

I don't know of any methods of making fringe look straight with ironing it, but if you want to keep the fringe then keep ironing it, you'll cut off most of the damage when you trim them. If you want to grow them out, then still iron them but clip them back once in a while to minimize usage of the iron and then trim off the damage once they're at a length you're happy with.

I haven't used them but if you use heat then try to use them. You're better off trying to protect from heat then not doing anything at all.

This is absolutely subjective to the person and hair type and scalp problems. You can even find someone with your hair type that uses certain products and your hair ends up hating it.

You need to search for Feye's self trim method on Google. It's the first hit.

I don't think one has to do with the other.

I wouldn't know this one.

It is better to wear your hair in a protective style like a bun so your ends aren't exposed to the elements and are less prone to damage.

Yes, as can twisting too tightly. I don't remember the explanation why but I think it has to do with stress on the scalp and hair.

You don't have do and not everybody does. If you find it's easier for you to put your hair in a sleeping style then do it, if you don't then don't do it.

I've tried baby powder and I got the white hair as well. You're better off trying to cover the x amount day hair or put it back so it's less noticable.

Henna, henna+indigo, and manic panic but henna is the best and is beneficial to your hair.

I don't know about hair growth but it will make your hair look better. If you have a better diet then your hair will look better. Think of it as an animal's coat. The better the diet, the prettier and shiner the coat.

If you see a hair root then the hair has reached it's terminal length and shed. That isn't anything to worry about because all of the hair on your head grows at different rates. Other times, it's because of hair that's broken off somehow and got washed away.

Only if you feel it's necessary.

I've never heard anything about cucumbers and hair.

wissles
April 18th, 2009, 12:44 AM
Sometimes improving scalp circulation can help with hair growth, yes. But overstimulation can actually have a negative impact, so don't overdo it!!

What!? :bigeyes: What kind of negative impact? I do scalp massages twice a day. Once in the morning for ten minutes, and once in the evening for ten minutes. I've only heard good stuff about it.

Angelica
October 18th, 2010, 11:27 AM

so here we go...

I have heard of it - some on this board swear by it. Haven't heard anything though that would convince me to use it.

I never oil my hair, it is oily enough on its own. There are hair oils around but some people make their own on here. I should imagine it would help with tangling. But don't use to much otherwise you might end up looking like a greasy mane! lol! :)

I use hair vitamins. Don't know if they work, but it is worth trying some. Wellwoman is a well known brand of vitamins and will help your whole body, skin, nails, hair. Unsure whether though that these vitamins are for a woman approaching menopause.

Any ingredient in a shampoo that ends in "cones". Plenty already on this board about that. I think I remember a post in which someone said that their hair felt dry without the added cones in shampoo.

I think that would depend how often you dry your hair. It needs to be a certain distance away from the scalp as well. I tend to dry my hair naturally. Once in a blue moon I use a dryer if for some reason I choose to wash it before going out.

Don't know the answer to this one sorry.

I liked the heat protector I used once before I stopped using the rollers I purchased. It made the hair look lovely. I try not to obsess too much about the ingredients, but I know that lots of people disfavour products that contain parabens and sulfates.

I am still trying to find my favourite! Years ago I had a favourite, but unfortunately it is no longer made. No shampoo compares to it these days.

Practice. I can't quite manage the Feye's trim, it didn't work for me. But I do self-trim and no I wouldn't let my husband do it either.

Nail and hair are basically made of the same thing I hear. My nails however seem stronger than my hair.

I'm not sure of this. I doubt it. Hairdressers like cutting. I have yet to meet one who doesn't. I have stopped going now.

Lots of people favour this.

It can cause what is termed "stress loss." But you would have to tie it quite tight for that. I think tight hairstyles can also cause headaches and breakage as well. So better to change the way you wear it frequently.

I find this uncomfortable. Sometimes I braid, sometimes I let it loose.

Yes I absolutely love dry shampoo. The one I am using is like a powder and I have really dark hair. I try not to put too much on and make sure I brush it well.

Henna apparently. But I can't stand the stuff myself. Too messy and doesn't colour my hair. Does manage to stain everything else though and made my hair feel horrible. It looks like green mud. One of my pet hates is henna.

If you are ill, that could affect your hair. If you have a poor diet. But nothing can improve the genes you were born with.

Shedding. This is normal. It always looks worse when you have long hair. Provided you are not losing an excess amount it is okay.

The only thing that apparently has been proven to work. My mother heard about an actress who said that if someone thinks they are losing their hair to forget the vitamins and massage the hair. You will regain about 30% of the hair you lose in a given time. Apologies I can't say any more. My mother is old, she has probably forgotten who the actress was. Massaging the scalp stimulates the blood supply which feeds the hair, so with that in mind it possibly does work.

I have heard of cucumbers if you have dark circles around the eyes. I can't say what good they can do for the hair. I know they give me terrible indigestion when eaten though :)

Love Jess xx

I thought this would be fun to answer - even though the post is so old! lol!

aenflex
October 18th, 2010, 11:47 AM
OP - I like your style! :)