PDA

View Full Version : Finally found a way of braiding comfortably for the night!!!

Curlsgirl
April 4th, 2008, 06:52 AM
I have worn my hair loose at night for the longest time because I just couldn't stand the lump of anything on the back of my head or the pulling on my scalp on top of my head. Last night I was braiding early and came down to the side in front instead of straight down the back just for fun and realized I can SLEEP like this!!! I know this sounds like a little thing but it's big for me because it prevents tangling during the night and is way more comfortable than always fighting with my hair all night! I thought someone else might want to try this. I think my hair really has just gotten long enough to do this and have it stay over my shoulder actually so you might have to have a little length to do it.

Kittee
April 4th, 2008, 06:55 AM
Ahhhh yes. =) The side braid. Yes it works great! I slept like that myself last night! *hug*

Curlsgirl
April 4th, 2008, 06:57 AM
Ahhhh yes. =) The side braid. Yes it works great! I slept like that myself last night! *hug*

I feel silly that I never thought of this before!!! :o *hugback*

lora410
April 4th, 2008, 06:58 AM
I always braid my dds curly hair every night to prevent tangles. Hers automatically falls over her shoulder. She loves the waves it makes in the morning and it calms the massive curlies.

Cichelle
April 4th, 2008, 07:09 AM
Wow, this is really quite a coincidence because I just discovered this myself! I don't braid, though...I twist. I also wondered why I never thought of it...and determined that my hair is long enough now to go to the side in that manner and STAY there. I'm so happy with this now. I can sleep comfortably with my hair this way.

Shanarana
April 4th, 2008, 07:21 AM
Hmmm, sounds like a good idea. I always just put my hair up high and braided. Sometimes I will twist my hair and use a octopus claw clip on the top of my head for a change now and than.

Anne~
April 4th, 2008, 07:23 AM
I have tried this but my braid still does not stay in place and I cannot stand it around my neck or sleeping on it. I now do a simple braid and put on a slik cap (from Wal-Mart) the cap covers all my hair and the braid is floating in side. My braid then stays to the back of my neck or floats to the opposite side I am laying on. My curly hair is less frizzy in the morning too!

heidi w.
April 4th, 2008, 08:38 AM
I have recommended the side braid in the past, and even recommended two pigtail braids off to either side.

Also, don't forget the smooth pillowcase texture, such as silk, satin or a kind of polyester.

Many may also like a humidifier in the room at night (depending on locale and time of year) to help with frizz problems, perhaps.

heidi w.

Kittee
April 4th, 2008, 08:42 AM
I have tried this but my braid still does not stay in place and I cannot stand it around my neck or sleeping on it. I now do a simple braid and put on a slik cap (from Wal-Mart) the cap covers all my hair and the braid is floating in side. My braid then stays to the back of my neck or floats to the opposite side I am laying on. My curly hair is less frizzy in the morning too!

My hubby would laugh at me if I slept in a cap but I do know what you mean about the tassel getting around your neck...or worse the knot of it where you have it secured gets lumped up under your shoulder or back. OUCH!

Curlsgirl
April 4th, 2008, 08:52 AM
Heidi I must have missed that post! I bet the humidifier would be good for your skin too.

spidermom
April 4th, 2008, 09:00 AM
I slept with my hair like that last night.

Islandgrrl
April 4th, 2008, 09:56 AM
Love the side braid for sleeping! I actually tried it for the first time a few weeks ago. It rocks!

CurlyNinja
April 4th, 2008, 01:55 PM
I find I don't like it so much going "straight to the side" because then I feel like I'm committing to sleeping on the other side the whole night. (I'm a combo back-side sleeper)

Instead, I like to start the top of the braid as low as I can and do it extra loose. The rest of it I can do more tightly but the area near my neck has to be so floppy you could barely consider it braided. This allows me the flexibility of throwing it where I want it during the night AND keeps the bump off my head/neck. I mean sure, my front layers tend to fall out and get messy but it's not a big deal compared to the tangles throughout the hair when I don't braid. As soon as I wake up in the morning, I undo the messy braid and pony it.

walkinglady
April 4th, 2008, 02:03 PM
I love sleeping in a side braid. I try buns every so often but eventually end up going back to the side braid. It is my favorite way to wear my hair during the day as well!

Euphony
April 4th, 2008, 02:26 PM
hahaha I was watching the movie The Others and the older housekeeper kept her gorgeous grey hair in a side braid for sleeping. They showed her in the kitchen getting ready for bed or something like that and her braid was done on the side. I said 'ooooooooh what a good idea!' I think my husband thought I was a bit off at that point :grin:

I've ended up adding a bit to that braid since I have layers - my shortest layer is getting pretty long now so it's not such an issue for me, but I braid a dutch braid starting on one side of my head at the top and angleing it down to where the finished braid is over my other shoulder.

atlantaz3
April 4th, 2008, 02:29 PM
Sigh ... not long enough yet. I tried this a few nights ago and the off side pulled out before I was even done braiding. The two braid aren't comfortable for me either, buns haven't worked either. I need to find something soon, I roll around too much in my sleep, wake up enough to put hair out of my way and go back to sleep! Hasn't someone invented a pillow that we could put our hair into and then go to sleep? And yes I'm sure the dh would fall out of bed laughing if I tried a sleep cap...

Just read the post above I can braid crooked (except probably when I want to) I might have to try for me a french braid off center and then to the side - thanks!!

sahiba
April 5th, 2008, 04:49 AM
I just braid my hair loosely at night but not really on the side. Never really found it comfortable.

HaiirPEACE
April 5th, 2008, 07:06 AM
you actually have make a bun on top of your head, britney spears style. unless you sleep standing on your head =]