PDA

View Full Version : no more bobble club!

jojo
April 15th, 2009, 05:59 PM
Well I am noticing slight breakage and I think its down to securring my bun with a bobble. Its a hair friendly one but my hair is so fine it breaks as soon as it sees the bobble. Even scrunchies cause me damage. I dont tie them particulary tight, I think its more down to probbaly placing them in the same place.

Today *drum roll if you please!* I wore my hair in no other than a number 8 secured with a hair fork and it stayed in place for the whole of my 14 hour shift , so I am thinking of experimenting to see if this solves my problem.

Anybody care to join me?

Paliele
April 15th, 2009, 06:03 PM
Congratulations on the new hairdo! I haven't worn bobbers since I was little so I don't think I count, but I'll join your no-bobbers club!

pointydog
April 15th, 2009, 06:17 PM
I have worn the cinnabun with just a single fork to secure it for the past 8 or 9 years. Never used a tie or bobble. Sometimes braided it before bunning, though not often (mostly if I would be spending the day in the barn where it could be jostled loose).
You can surely secure your hair without any ties. With practice you can re-bun in just a few seconds too. Forks are great.

jojo
April 15th, 2009, 06:17 PM
nice one! I really do think it will make all the difference I think bobbles are english for the elastics, not sure if its a different word in the US!

I actually found the fork really comfy too and no headaches! a plus in my book!!

jojo
April 15th, 2009, 06:18 PM
I have worn the cinnabun with just a single fork to secure it for the past 8 or 9 years. Never used a tie or bobble. Sometimes braided it before bunning, though not often (mostly if I would be spending the day in the barn where it could be jostled loose).
You can surely secure your hair without any ties. With practice you can re-bun in just a few seconds too. Forks are great.

Well looking at all that hair, wow you have convinced me its the way to go!

I ordered some of those sticks, what they called the ones that are wavy kay something or other! cant wait to try them!

spidermom
April 15th, 2009, 06:19 PM
I didn't have a clue what a bobble is (but I see you've answered that one). I never use a pony-band when I make a bun, and forks are great! Sticks too.

Flynn
April 15th, 2009, 06:47 PM
A bobble is an ordinary hair elastic -- you know, a normal elastic band wrapped in fabric or thread.

I never use one when I bun my hair; instead I use about twenty normal long hair pins (the U-shaped ones) -- a habit acquired from years of classical ballet as a kid/teenager. As is necessary for ballet, it is absolutely rock solid, and will stay in all day. I don't wear it like that very often now (only when it's gotten too oily to get away with my normal braid), but I don't think I have (or had) a problem with breakage doing it this way... My hair is pretty fine, too.

Jeni
April 15th, 2009, 06:56 PM
A bobble is an ordinary hair elastic -- you know, a normal elastic band wrapped in fabric or thread.

I never use one when I bun my hair; instead I use about twenty normal long hair pins (the U-shaped ones) -- a habit acquired from years of classical ballet as a kid/teenager. As is necessary for ballet, it is absolutely rock solid, and will stay in all day. I don't wear it like that very often now (only when it's gotten too oily to get away with my normal braid), but I don't think I have (or had) a problem with breakage doing it this way... My hair is pretty fine, too.

Ohhhhh, to me hair bobble are those hair ties with the colorful balls on each end that you see in little kid's hair. I could not for the life of me figure out how jojo was hold a bun with one.

So bobble=scrunchie/scrunchy (SP?).

I use a big fabric scrunchie to hold a BB bun when I'm at home but it isn't tight and so far I haven't noticed any damage from it. I'm more worried about possible damage from doing the same style (cinnamon/BB bun) everyday.

whiteisle
April 15th, 2009, 07:17 PM
Good stuff to know. :) I'm going to have to tell my mom to STOP pulling her hair through the same scruchie the same way every day. She does that pull-it-through-1 and 1/2 times thing every. single. day. :rolleyes:

jojo
April 15th, 2009, 07:32 PM
I am really careful with them but I think any kind of tie, bobble, elastic when it is placed in the same place and I do wear them low down as my head aches else, causes damage not due to the band but the possition its in. I remember last time my hair was long it always broke in the same place, oh course I was not a member of this forum then and couldn't work out why this was.

I also love the fact i can wear forks and sticks now without looking like a kind of tourture device!

Good to see many others take this route!

jojo
April 15th, 2009, 07:34 PM
Good stuff to know. :) I'm going to have to tell my mom to STOP pulling her hair through the same scruchie the same way every day. She does that pull-it-through-1 and 1/2 times thing every. single. day. :rolleyes:

this was me too, i put my hair up, i take it down*fiddle fiddle* up it goes again, oh is that a bump, down it comes *fiddle fiddle* and so on and so on, its a hard habit to break but i am getting there!

whiteisle
April 15th, 2009, 07:41 PM
Oh I know what you mean about the *fiddle fiddle* habit. lol I have a bad habit of running my fingers/hands through my own hair constantly(still kinda short to really pull up much). I managed to put it up in two side/back braids today and I felt totally lost not fiddling with it. But I need to learn to leave it alone. :rolleyes:

enfys
April 16th, 2009, 05:19 AM
I'm trying to cut down on how much I use bands of any sort, but with all these ruddy layers it's hard not to just to have a secure base to start with. I will find it easier once it's longer and more even. I hardly used to use them.

I mix it up a bit with where I put the ponytail to start from though.

Monsterkitti
April 16th, 2009, 05:42 AM
I'll join :)

Im trying to stop using bobbles and scrunchies. I stopped using them during the day fine and was using a scrunchie at night but it still seemed to pull and cause damage and pull so now im using little claw clips to hold my bun.

Im still kind of amazed 4 little clips can hold my hair rock solid all day or over night :)

learnthenLive!
April 16th, 2009, 05:56 AM
I wear my hair up in a bun all day with a small claw clip. I don't think I have any damage from it. It works really well for me. When it's dirty I have to use 2 clips because 1 will not hold it up. I've tried to use hair sticks but they hurt my head. I must not be doing it right.

Periwinkle
April 16th, 2009, 06:04 AM
Bobble's not the English for elastic - we just say elastic :) Or hair tie, more generally. Bobble to me sounds like what Jeni said: an elastic with little plastic things on and such that little kids wear. Or it could be one of those sort of fluffy towelling-type ones. And scrunchie=scrunchie.

Anyway, good luck :) I can't secure a regular cinnabun with elastics because it ends up sticking out from my head a lot, which is unstable and uncomfortable.

Masara
April 16th, 2009, 07:12 AM
I've been gradually moving away from hair elastics for buns.It took a while to get used to the "pull" not being so centred, but I think it's better for my head as well as my hair. Dianyla's braiding technique means I can place braids where I want before bunning them without an elastic and I can manage a standard cinabun just from twisting. What I haven't mastered yet is any sort of rope braided bun without an elastic first.

pointydog
April 16th, 2009, 07:41 AM
Spidermom, I really like your signature picture...I couldn't figure out your avatar when I first joined (looked like a black cat's face with eyes closed???maybe?) but I love your spider tat avatar now!
That signature pic is one of the reasons I've decided not to try covering my grey with anything permanent.

Anje
April 16th, 2009, 08:04 AM
Using elastics causes breakage in my fine hair too. The good thing is that it's so easy to secure a bun without one, after you've gained a little length. (I suppose when you're trying to bun your hair when it's still quite short, the elastic helps significantly.) I swore off ponytails and pony-based styles in late 2006 after trying loose pigtails and discovering a large section of broken-off hair that wouldn't fit into them. Haven't looked back!

jojo
April 16th, 2009, 09:52 AM
Bobble's not the English for elastic - we just say elastic :) Or hair tie, more generally. Bobble to me sounds like what Jeni said: an elastic with little plastic things on and such that little kids wear. Or it could be one of those sort of fluffy towelling-type ones. And scrunchie=scrunchie.

Anyway, good luck :) I can't secure a regular cinnabun with elastics because it ends up sticking out from my head a lot, which is unstable and uncomfortable.
really? well i am from the North West and they are sold as bobbles, ive always called them that!!! I know the ones your talking about and yes i call them bobbles too, the ones with material we call scrunchies!
My mum's from Devon and she said she never heard them called bobbles either until she moved to the North, different areas have different sayings I suppose!!

annie09
April 16th, 2009, 12:57 PM
Yeah this is bobbles for me too, may well be a north west thing i dunno jojo but i have noticed a difference in not using them and i find sticks and things to be much more fun i hope you do too:):):)http://i646.photobucket.com/albums/uu183/boggle567/forjojo.jpg

rach
April 16th, 2009, 03:35 PM
i've given up on hair ties or what ever they are called because they're damaging a layer of my hair which i want to grow out which is by the nape of my neck.
sticks and and my one ficcare clip are my saviors .

Deborah
April 16th, 2009, 03:52 PM
I don't like them anymore at all. I began using them on the end of a sleep braid, because so many here consider it a good idea. I used the little silicon ones that are supposed to be totally harmless.

Then in the last couple of months it seemed that the last few inches of my hair were looking thinner. I at first thought that maybe my hair couldn't grow longer very well any more. After a bit I realized that the thinning was right where I used the hair ties. I trimmed off that 3 inches or so, stopped using the hair ties, and went back to sleeping with my hair free, just tossed up over the top of the pillow, the way I'd slept with it for all of my life.

Lo and behold! My hair has grown back a nice, normal hemline without that thinning going on. So, no more tied off braids for me.

I still use loose scrunchies around the house. Maybe I should stop those too. It sounds like some of you find them damaging as well. Do you think scrunchies, even the velvet ones, are likely to cause breakage? I'd like to hear others' experience with them.

By later in the day I generally want the bun out, as my head starts to be uncomfortable from the hair weight. I'd hate to keep it bunned all day long. I hope I can continue to use a scrunchie for a low, loose ponytail as the day grows late. For sure I'm going to trash any that are not velvet or very similar in texture.

jojo
April 16th, 2009, 03:53 PM
Yeah this is bobbles for me too, may well be a north west thing i dunno jojo but i have noticed a difference in not using them and i find sticks and things to be much more fun i hope you do too:):):)http://i646.photobucket.com/albums/uu183/boggle567/forjojo.jpg
I didnt realise you where from the North west, my mum calls steak and kidney puddings 'baby's heads' is it little wonder I have never liked them?!

rach
April 16th, 2009, 04:01 PM
I didnt realise you where from the North west, my mum calls steak and kidney puddings 'baby's heads' is it little wonder I have never liked them?!
eeek i can see why. that's a grim image you've put in my head now :confused:

Flynn
April 16th, 2009, 04:53 PM
I don't like them anymore at all. I began using them on the end of a sleep braid, because so many here consider it a good idea. I used the little silicon ones that are supposed to be totally harmless.

Then in the last couple of months it seemed that the last few inches of my hair were looking thinner. I at first thought that maybe my hair couldn't grow longer very well any more. After a bit I realized that the thinning was right where I used the hair ties. I trimmed off that 3 inches or so, stopped using the hair ties, and went back to sleeping with my hair free, just tossed up over the top of the pillow, the way I'd slept with it for all of my life.

Lo and behold! My hair has grown back a nice, normal hemline without that thinning going on. So, no more tied off braids for me.

I still use loose scrunchies around the house. Maybe I should stop those too. It sounds like some of you find them damaging as well. Do you think scrunchies, even the velvet ones, are likely to cause breakage? I'd like to hear others' experience with them.

By later in the day I generally want the bun out, as my head starts to be uncomfortable from the hair weight. I'd hate to keep it bunned all day long. I hope I can continue to use a scrunchie for a low, loose ponytail as the day grows late. For sure I'm going to trash any that are not velvet or very similar in texture.

Those silicon ones are a nightmare. They catch and pull and stick and tear, and generally behave completely contrary to how they say they do. They are a total load of rubbish. I feel that they are only marginally better than using a bare office-supplies-type elastic band. Such a scam!

To secure the end of my braid, I do use a normal fabric-covered elastic, but the sort without a metal joiner. It doesn't really matter that they break easily when I'm just using it to hold a braid; it hardly needs any tension at all.