PDA

View Full Version : what to do while taking bath?

sahiba
April 4th, 2008, 03:46 AM
HI. I am not really new but this is my first question to the fellow members . I want to ask what do you do with your hair everyday,especially if they are below the hip? Braid it ,bun it or let it be open?
My hair has reached my hip (all thanks to TLHC) and I do not know how to handle them in bath. Any ideas ?

spidermom
April 4th, 2008, 08:20 AM
I coil mine on top of my head and clip it if I don't want to get it wet. Or I take advantage of soaking in the hot water to put a deep treatment on my hair. Then I coil it at the nape of my neck to make a little pillow while I lay back.

Blueglass
April 4th, 2008, 11:42 AM
Nowadays, I take mostly showers, but, when I took baths as a child I just kept the hair over one shoulder, but after my bath, took a shower in order to wash my hair. I most have used tons of water.

Les
April 4th, 2008, 12:59 PM
I sleep with my hair braided and always shower in the morning. So I just twist the braid into a bun and put a stick through it when I am trying to clean my body but don't want to work on my hair.

Anje
April 4th, 2008, 01:17 PM
My hair is at my hips now, and I'm just learning how to deal with it, too. I typically wear it in a bun, sometimes in a braid during the day, since it tends to become tangled and dry out if I leave it loose.

I rarely take baths (mostly showers), but when I do not want my hair to get wet, I either wrap it in a plastic shower cap, or I pin it in a bun.

Lixie
April 4th, 2008, 01:29 PM
In the bath and shower, I twist my hair up into a bun and secure it with a hairstick.

ole gray mare
April 4th, 2008, 01:34 PM
Giant jaw clips are my friends.

MemSahib
April 4th, 2008, 01:53 PM
Stick it up with whatever comes handiest if it is not shampoo day.

dagonlilly
April 4th, 2008, 02:33 PM
I put mine in a high bun that sits on top of my head if I dont want to get it wet.

Village Mama
April 4th, 2008, 02:58 PM
I use a high bun and a hairstick as well!

heidi w.
April 4th, 2008, 03:15 PM
My hair is calf length. I take a bath (not a shower) every morning. I used to take a shower every morning. In each instance, I put my hair in my day's updo and bathe in either format.

Updo.

If you don't know how to do updo's of any sort, including the regular ole bun, just ask.

If you don't know how to do an updo and are working on learning, the help for the meanwhile is to wear a shower cap and put all your dry hair in it while bathing.

heidi w.

eresh
April 4th, 2008, 03:27 PM
I put mine into a braided bun if I don't want to get it wet in the bath, using a simple bare wood chopstick.

But I also love to do the mermaid soak ;-)
Let all the hair surround me in the water.
And while the conditioner is in, I wrap my hair around my neck so it doesn't get into the water before it's time to rinse out.

eadwine
April 4th, 2008, 03:29 PM
If you don't know how to do updo's of any sort, including the regular ole bun, just ask.

If you don't know how to do an updo and are working on learning, the help for the meanwhile is to wear a shower cap and put all your dry hair in it while bathing.
Methinks she is very well aware of knowing how to do a bun, she didn't state that she didn't after all.

Just bun it up on top of your head, I say, and put a cap over it :)

jessie58
April 4th, 2008, 04:09 PM
Methinks she is very well aware of knowing how to do a bun, she didn't state that she didn't after all.

Heidi has hair down to her calves and has been a member since 2003, I think that she is very generous to offer a new member such helpful advice.

eresh
April 4th, 2008, 04:19 PM
Hmm, since when is the length of someones hair a tool of "measuring" experience I wonder.

Anyhow, the OP wrote elsewhere on the mane forum about her braiding and bunning.

jessie58
April 4th, 2008, 04:27 PM
Hmm, since when is the length of someones hair a tool of "measuring" experience I wonder.

Anyhow, the OP wrote elsewhere on the mane forum about her braiding and bunning.

Eresh, if you are addressing me: I see no reason to correct Heidi for offering help and I mentioned the length of Heidi's hair because I personally, find it very kind of someone with so much hair experience and knowledge to offer such kind of help to newcomers. Heidi may not realize that the op has had any experience with hair at all.

kissedbyfyre
April 4th, 2008, 04:28 PM
I just pile my hair on top of a head in a very silly looking bee butt or cinnamon roll type bun and secure with a hair tie. It looks goofy but it keeps my hair dry. I tend to take baths daily and showers when it's time to wash my hair. The longer my hair gets, the more I hate wet hair so I try to get it wet as little as possible.

khyricat
April 4th, 2008, 07:43 PM
I don't think the length with change what I do much- I wash on wash days, then if its in the tub, its down.. otherwise, for my daily bath, I twist it up in a jaw clip high on my head.. out of the way.. I imagine the size clip needed/# f twists will change, but the concept will stay the same, I also detangle first and how much I twist before folding it in the clip depends on the style intended for afterward.

Amie

Tea Lady
April 4th, 2008, 09:55 PM
I like cheap plastic shower caps if I don't want to wet my hair in the bath. But I also like to do mermaid soaks, so I often will just leave it loose. In fact, given that I have a rather icky bathtub (but that will all be changed within the next two months as we are starting a bathroom renovation and are putting in a lovely slipper tub!), often the only reason I want to have a bath rather than a shower is due to the fact that I want a mermaid soak.

I also occasionally do Epsom salt soaks for sore muscles. Since I never completely submerge in those salts, I sometimes will just leave my almost-daily Ficarre bun style in and just be careful not to get it wet.

Tea Lady

jessie58
April 4th, 2008, 09:59 PM
I like cheap plastic shower caps if I don't want to wet my hair in the bath. But I also like to do mermaid soaks, so I often will just leave it loose. In fact, given that I have a rather icky bathtub (but that will all be changed within the next two months as we are starting a bathroom renovation and are putting in a lovely slipper tub!), often the only reason I want to have a bath rather than a shower is due to the fact that I want a mermaid soak.

I also occasionally do Epsom salt soaks for sore muscles. Since I never completely submerge in those salts, I sometimes will just leave my almost-daily Ficarre bun style in and just be careful not to get it wet.

Tea Lady

Tea Lady, will the epsom salts bother the hair? I read in another thread that salt was not good for hair. I'm never careful with my hair when I soak in epsom salts, I guess I should be. I want to see your bathtub pics when it's in. :)

morningstar
April 4th, 2008, 10:06 PM
I have an icky tub and only shower. Oh I long for a good soak. I use plastic clips like OGM said they are my friends. LOL That gave me a chuckle.

Heidi is a wonderful person that gives of herself so fully here on the boards....I would never belittle or question her advice or wisdom it comes from the heart.

Nynaeve
April 4th, 2008, 10:17 PM
I never take baths anymore, because I don't have time, but you just made me want to take one. :D

sahiba
April 5th, 2008, 03:35 AM
eadwine , your comb collection is a beauty.My hair is quit fine and not that long. Yet in summers they are quite unmanageable esp in the kitchen. I was just curious to know how do women with your hair length keep them down without any difficulty and tangles.

sahiba
April 5th, 2008, 03:40 AM
This is me again.I am really sorry for mixing names. I actually wanted to praise Heidi w's comb collection. sorry again.

Alley Cat
April 5th, 2008, 03:48 AM
I have a very attractive shower cap on while bathing. :D

Lizbot
April 5th, 2008, 04:54 PM
I, too, put my hair in high bun if I am showering, or if I am bathing, I put it in a low bun and use it as a pillow. It's very useful.

harley mama
April 5th, 2008, 05:04 PM
If I don't want my hair to get wet I twist it up into a bun and stick in a couple of metal knitting needles to hold it up.

Tea Lady
April 5th, 2008, 09:03 PM
Tea Lady, will the epsom salts bother the hair? I read in another thread that salt was not good for hair. I'm never careful with my hair when I soak in epsom salts, I guess I should be. I want to see your bathtub pics when it's in. :)

You know, I'm not really sure! I just assumed it would be a problem. I guess I should look into that.

I will post photos when we are done. I have been waiting so long for a nice tub. We've had the same bathroom for 20 years, and it was old to begin with (old in the icky sense, not in the vintage-charming sense).

Tea Lady

Nynaeve
April 8th, 2008, 06:04 PM
Well, a few days ago, I took a bath for the first time in like 10 years.
I wore my hair in a side braid that I pinned up and around my head.

Druid of Alba
April 8th, 2008, 07:26 PM
If you have the plug in the tub (don't want hair stuck in the drain :p), and you are planning on washing it, then I would say let it down. If you want to keep it OUT of the water, maybe put it in a bunned braid with hairsticks? I hope I helped!

Shorty89
April 8th, 2008, 07:33 PM
Well, I usually take a nice book in with me and sit back and relax for an hour or two. :wigtongue

Seriously though, I usually just leave my hair down or, if I want to avoid tangles, in a braid. My hair loves soaking in the tub while it's in a braid. On the other hand, my hair hates being under a cap, dry while I bathe!! It gets slightly moist and tangly and icky!! It's a good thing I don't live in a humid climate I guess.