PDA

View Full Version : Hair Ties in Braided Buns

adventuring
April 15th, 2009, 07:50 AM
I can't seem to hide my hair bands when I wear braided buns. They're a little thick and just won't stay tucked under. Does this kind of thing bother any of the rest of you, and if so, what do you do about it?

Heavenly Locks
April 15th, 2009, 07:51 AM
Do you mean the band at your scalp, or the band on the end of your tassel?

adventuring
April 15th, 2009, 07:53 AM
The band at the end of the braid.

learnthenLive!
April 15th, 2009, 08:08 AM
I have the same problem. It always sticks out. I don't wear my hair like that often because of it sticking out. I would like to know, too.

Arctic
April 15th, 2009, 08:26 AM
I don't use hair band/elastic when I make a braided bun or flipped braid. Maybe that would work for you too?

akka naeda
April 15th, 2009, 08:31 AM
I use a black band and with my dark brown hennaed hair it doesn't show too much, at least not enough to bother me. I also have about 6" tail below the band, in plaited Fig 8s (which I doubt you can do at your length) this means the band is hidden totally, in cinnabuns and stickless buns sometimes the band is just visible.

Carolyn
April 15th, 2009, 08:31 AM
I use a small elastic that is close to the color of my hair. I tuck the end of the braid under the bun. I've never had a problem with the elastic showing. You could use those clear stretchy band things if you like them.

susiemw
April 15th, 2009, 08:39 AM
I'm going to echo the above.

I use elastics that are close to my hair color so that if
it does end up showing it won't be obvious.

I also have the clear elastics. I don't like them very much
but they are a possibility.

If you can't find elastics close to the color of you hair you could also make your own from nylons. just find some that
match your hair color!

good luck

susan

morguebabe
April 15th, 2009, 08:43 AM
Have you tried not tieing the end of the braid? Just grab it and put it into the bun with out clsoing it off? If I'm going to bun my braid I don't tie the tassle off.

Braces
April 15th, 2009, 08:47 AM
What I have done in the past is braid my hair to the very end even if small strands of hair are coming out. Then I tuck the tip of the braid in the middle of my braid. And that seems to work.

Anje
April 15th, 2009, 09:06 AM
Lots of people don't even tie off the end of the braid for a braided bun, since it doesn't seem to unravel much when it's up. For me, it undoes itself a bit during the wrapping process though, so what I tend to do is temporarily secure the end of the braid with a very small jaw clip (I also use these when just wearing my hair down in a braid), then wrap it into a bun. I can very easily remove the clip at the last moment, tuck in the ends, and secure the bun. You might want to give something like that a try.

KatKeRo
April 15th, 2009, 10:44 AM
I'm also one who don't tie the braid of when using it to bun.

mira-chan
April 15th, 2009, 10:51 AM
I don't use a tie either. Just braid as far as I can and put it up, tucking the ends under.

LHGypsyRose
April 15th, 2009, 11:26 AM
I also don't tie off the end of my braid. I continue wrapping and it goes under the bun and stays secure.

Unnamed
April 15th, 2009, 11:46 AM
I'm another that doesn't tie the braid off. Just braid as far as I can and it under the bulk. The tension from whatever stick/fork that's in my hair is enough to keep both the ends in place, and keep the braid from undoing.

If I'm worried the braid will start undoing before I can get it secured (say I got the braid but nothing handy to hold it up) I'll get the ends damp/wet.

When I did tie the end off I used a tie the same colour as my hair (black at the time), which could be another possibility, although for my hair I think my ends were a bit happier after I stopped using ties.

Alia
April 15th, 2009, 11:56 AM
Target has little elastic bands just perfect for the end of braids. I think it was a bit over a dollar a packet. If I don't tie off the ends on my braids, they do come apart in a bun.

longhairedfairy
April 15th, 2009, 02:44 PM
Don't the little elastics damage the hair?

lizzyjo
April 15th, 2009, 03:11 PM
I use clear "ouchless" rubber bands and braid as close to the end as possible. If I'm securing it with a stick or fork I try to put it through the very end of the braid so that it will be held close to the bun. You could bobby pin the tassel if it won't stay put.

Bloodflower
April 15th, 2009, 03:45 PM
I tuck the end of the braid with the band under the bun and then use a bobby pin to pin the part of the braid that lies over the band to my scalp. That way it's hidden by hair and doesn't come out.

adventuring
April 15th, 2009, 04:55 PM
That sounds like a great idea, I think I'll give it a try. Thank you!

adventuring
April 15th, 2009, 04:57 PM
I try to do that too, but it always works itself into visibility again. I think maybe it's too thick.

adventuring
April 15th, 2009, 05:00 PM
Target has little elastic bands just perfect for the end of braids. I think it was a bit over a dollar a packet. If I don't tie off the ends on my braids, they do come apart in a bun.

I'll go looking for them. Thanks!

adventuring
April 15th, 2009, 05:02 PM
I don't use hair band/elastic when I make a braided bun or flipped braid. Maybe that would work for you too?

I could give it a try, but I'm honestly a little bit obsessive, so I'd probably be constantly worried it was unraveling.

Juanita
April 16th, 2009, 08:01 AM
I don't bother tying my braids off and they seem to stay in place. I don't even bother tying off my bedtime braids. I think me ends are better for not doing so also.

Ryanne
April 16th, 2009, 11:00 AM
I try to use ones that are close to my hair colour. But I mostly don't use them at all.

eresh
April 16th, 2009, 03:01 PM
I tuck the end of the braid with the band under the bun and then use a bobby pin to pin the part of the braid that lies over the band to my scalp. That way it's hidden by hair and doesn't come out.

Yep that's what I do too when I braid to the ends and tie if with a small elastic. With an amish pin.
When I leave a longer tassle I can pull the end with elastic further under the bun and it won't escape, but that's also due to length.
But I always tie off the braid otherwise it will just unravel.