PDA

View Full Version : Are fluffy hairs out of condition or just due to dampness in the air?

templeofvenus
April 15th, 2009, 01:03 AM
I am growing my hair from a bob and have stopped using flat iron etc, I am noticing my hair looks fluffly around the sides and around my face at times and it waves in the wrong direction from where it should be, it does not lie as sleek as I would like. Could this be due to poor condition or just getting used to my own hair and not hair that is forced into sleekness with a flat iron? should I just accept it and let my hair go its own way?

aisling
April 15th, 2009, 01:35 AM
I suspect you don't have straight hair but wavy hair and that's why it is not laying really smooth.

Unofficial_Rose
April 15th, 2009, 01:51 AM
Sounds like you have wavy hair. I have had a bob a lot, and had to blow-dry my 2a hair to get it to look "right" for the cut.

Even now, I get a chorus of approval from people when I blow-fry or straighten it. Poor hair - it seems it's natural state is not appreciated! :rolleyes:

Welcome to the wavies! I think wavy hair is "designed" to suit being longer as it suits the wave pattern. :)

If you want to smooth the surface, you could try a teensy bit of coconut oil (literally just enough to put a slight sheen on your palms) and smooth it over towel-dried hair.

templeofvenus
April 15th, 2009, 05:10 AM
Sounds like you have wavy hair. I have had a bob a lot, and had to blow-dry my 2a hair to get it to look "right" for the cut.

Even now, I get a chorus of approval from people when I blow-fry or straighten it. Poor hair - it seems it's natural state is not appreciated! :rolleyes:

Welcome to the wavies! I think wavy hair is "designed" to suit being longer as it suits the wave pattern. :)

If you want to smooth the surface, you could try a teensy bit of coconut oil (literally just enough to put a slight sheen on your palms) and smooth it over towel-dried hair.

Yeah I guess you are right I think my hair has to be blow dried to make it lie right for the cut, as I recall when I was very young and had long air dried hair it was wavy! maybe I should try some coconut oil, thanks for the tip!

embee
April 15th, 2009, 05:21 AM
Seems to me fluffy hair is out of fashion right now, sleek hair is "in". That will change. Some people have fluffy hair. There's nothing that would make my hair fluffy - it's always going to be straight, sleek and stringy. Alas.

You can find out what your own hair is like, and perhaps find a "do" that suits you, your fluffy hair. It will be *you*, not some stranger on TV or in a magazine. :) Be assured there will be people who speak against your look (rude and uncalled for), and many who silently envy it (like me).

Heavenly Locks
April 15th, 2009, 07:38 AM
You may be seeing some damage that was hidden by the flat iron literally ironing down the cuticle of your hair. I also agree with what others have said about it being wavy :)

templeofvenus
April 15th, 2009, 07:55 AM
You know my hair is not as fluffy today lol and its not as damp outside I think my hair is the new weather predictor! it must have been the mist in the air yesterday making it all kinky etc

Gypsygirl
April 15th, 2009, 12:51 PM
Humidity makes my hair go crazy...I get funny-looking ringlets, kinks and curls- and my hair is actually pretty straight when left alone.