PDA

View Full Version : Help me choose a book

Nyghtingale
April 14th, 2009, 06:30 PM
I am looking to download a new audio book. Has anyone read, and can give me a suggestion of either:

Life of Pi
or
Dead Witch Walking

thanks!:cool:

DragonLady
April 14th, 2009, 09:29 PM
I loved Life of Pi.

Anje
April 14th, 2009, 09:31 PM
I enjoyed Life of Pi. Good novel.

LutraLutra
April 15th, 2009, 04:50 AM
I hated the Life of Pi. :( I know I'm really in the minority, but I couldn't even get halfway through it. A lot of my colleagues really liked it though. Personal taste is a funny thing. :)

marzipanthecat
April 15th, 2009, 05:35 AM
Life of Pi was... well, ok I guess. It got a lot of attention in the UK because it won some literary award. I wasn't that impressed (but it's not bad!).

Dead Witch Walking is the the better of the two.

I am very opinionated...

Nyghtingale
April 15th, 2009, 03:37 PM
Thanks so much ;)

wackyredtangles
April 15th, 2009, 03:43 PM
I really like BBC dramatizations. BBC did an amazing job with both Lord of the Rings (Tolkien), His Dark Materials (Pullman), Gormenghast (Peake), and The Hitchhiker's guide to the galaxy (Adams). The Hitchhiker's guide to the galaxy is also available as a regular audiobook. Try to get the one read by Douglas Adams. Its excellent.

Besides that I mostly read science and non-fiction. Neil Shubins Your Inner Fish is a great read. Richard Dawkins has a few more audio books, but I've only ever read them in paperback, so I can't attest for the quality of the audiobooks. That's all I can think of for now.