PDA

View Full Version : Breakage and damage increase in pregnancy

joyful373
April 14th, 2009, 04:04 PM
Hi guys!
I was really hesitant to post a new thread regarding this topic, but I searched for quite a while and still was unable to find an answer that seemed complete. I would really appreciate any insight that you can offer me! If I missed a thread, feel free to kindly direct me to the right place. :)

I am currently entering my 6th month of pregnancy. I am taking prenatal vitamins each day, and have really worked to make sure that my calcium intake and vitamin intake is what it should be (or close to it).

My hair is getting sooooo dry, and the ends are splitting very quickly. I have tried all I can think of, with no relief, so here I turn to LHC.

At first, I thought it was moisture related...
I have been oiling my ends each night before bed, and also as a deep conditioning pre-wash treatment on wash and condition days. I have been keeping my hair up in buns and braids, only wearing it down for special occasions. (Easter for one) I had so much tangling and damage after 2 hours of wearing it down, that I slowly detangled it and then put it up again. :( Am I doomed to damage or do you have anything I can try?
I also did a major 1hour S&D mission on Sunday... I don't want to cut, and the splits just seem to appear.

Could it be protein? My hair likes a little of it... is the pregnancy causing it to request more?
Help!

karli
April 15th, 2009, 01:43 PM
Normally, it`s after the pregnacy you get problem. Whilst pregnant, your hair is in a constant growingphase, so afterwards, you lose more than normal.

How is your hair normally? dry, greasy?

It seems as if you`re careful with your hair, wearing it up and all. Perhaps you should just continue as you do? A small trim might be useful - don`t do any drastic or you will regret it.

I know I did- when my normal hairdresser couldn`t trim me, I went to her partner who shopped of a lot-I cried for hours. Pregnacyhormones are not to play with!

RancheroTheBee
April 15th, 2009, 02:20 PM
Don't despair. There's always a solution.

First off, how do you wash it? Regular shampoo and conditioning? What kind of products are you using? What kind of pillowcase do you have?

In the end, you may benefit from a small trim. But tell us anything you can, so this doesn't happen again.

PS: I think hormonal changes of pregnancy can negatively effect some women's hair.

effe
April 15th, 2009, 02:40 PM
Hey joyful373,
First of all Congrats !!!
I'm also currently 7 months pregnant. During my 1st trimester I lost more hair and I think it has to do with my hormones and morning sickness. But in my 2nd trimester I didn't loose much hair.
My hair is not oily generally, but during my whole pregnancy (till now) it is very oily and I'm having mild dandruff too :rolleyes:
I hope yours is dry on the opposite side. Blame hormones. So don't worry soon you will get over it. You are handling your hair well, maintain it.

HTH

myotislucifugus
April 15th, 2009, 02:44 PM
I've never been pregnant... but my mother had some insight
Please bear in mind she has bleached her hair since... birth... and her hair is very fine.

She said that for her, her hair grew and grew until the third trimester, and then her hair began to break and snap. I think part of it was stress, and the other part was hormonal changes. If youre hair is breaking at the root, or after a few inches, that might be it. If it is further down the hair, maybe it is a nutrition issue. Maybe try a protein pack, even if your hair has had issues in the past with it, it might do the trick.

Good luck with this and the rest of your pregnancy!

joyful373
April 18th, 2009, 09:58 AM
Thank you so much for the feedback. I have to laugh because after I posted and saw no comments the next day I was so bummed. Hmm.. hormones just might be an issue huh?

Each of you really gave me some things to think about. My hair seems to have changed all throughout the pregnancy. Pre-pregnancy my hair is really oily. Although now it seems to fit the "snapping and brittle" description. In each case I've really just tried to be gentle and keep it up. I've had a few bad days though.

I usually sleep in a braid, and although I don't have a satin pillow covering that may be a good idea since I am tossing and turning MUCH more at night at the moment.

Like ranchero said, I am just afraid that I am one of the women whose hair is being negatively affected by pregnancy.

I haven't changed my haircare routine at all though. I wash and condition 2 times a week (every 3 days) with Beauty without Cruelty Daily benefits shampoo and conditioner. On second day hair I lightly oil my ends with coconut oil, and before my main wash day, (once a week) I do a "pre-wash" oil treatment (add more oil and leave on an hour or 2). Then I wash as usual and lightly condition.

I'm afraid to trim, because from what I've seen during S&D, when I trim a split or damaged area, it splits again or the damage returns in 2 or more days. Ugh. It's just frustrating. I thought I wasn't trimming enough (making sure I got all the damge) but even after looking closely it still is happening. (albeit not as often)

Thanks everyone :flower:

NebraskaChick84
April 18th, 2009, 10:33 AM
I would try a satin pillow case and more oiling/conditioning. you might try washing only every other wash and conditioning only every other wash. your hair really does sound very dry. also if cones normally work for you you may want to try going cone free. Hope that helps.

JamieLeigh
April 20th, 2009, 10:11 AM
Congratulations on your pregnancy!! :flower:

I have had 5 kids, all of them one right behind the other, and the major problem I had with my hair was that it was just growing too quickly for me to keep up with it. There seemed to be much more damage and splittiness, mostly because I was unable to keep it trimmed to my liking thanks to my increased growth. And after 5 post-natal sheds.....well, I'm just thankful to still have hair on my head. :rolleyes:

Oh yeah, and I was on a prenatal vitamin regimen, and calcium supplements.