PDA

View Full Version : Im panicking! Major hair loss :(

janeytilllie
April 14th, 2009, 12:51 PM
Hi everyone

Today I washed my hair with my usual shampoo bar which I have been using about 2 months with no problems.

But all day after the wash I am having huge hair loss!

I have never ever shredded this bad with my hair before:(

I'm panicking!!!

It is coming off in clumbs as I touch it gently.

I am the urge of crying!

I am thinking of throwing in the towel with shampoo bars. The whole point of me stopping SLS shampoos and cones is to have healthier hair. But I am having the Opposite effect :mad:

My scalp is itchy and has a white curdy stuff on it :(

To those who have or are using shampoo bars - Did you go though hair loss after using shampoo bar for so long?

Any advice or experinces you have had with shampoo bars?

To those who use SLS shampoos and cones - Do you have any problems with SLS or cones?

I am beginning to wonder that all this hype about SLS being bad and dangerous to our health and hair is true? :rolleyes:

Here is a picture of how bad the hair loss is. I have only collected some of it! :( It's still falling in clumps.

http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/picture.php?albumid=2286&pictureid=36774

I really do not know what to do :wail:

Thank you everyone for reading.

ratgirldjh
April 14th, 2009, 12:55 PM
I have been going through a spring shed time too. So has my dog and my cat! I think it must be something to do with spring - because I seem to have this every year!

If you are really afraid that it is because of the poo bars - you could try going CO - the last time this happened to me my hair was actually too dry from too much soap washing (I was being obsessive and washing every day and my hair couldn't take it) and doing CO a couple of washes absolutely stopped my hair breaking - and then I was able to go back to poo bars.

OR - do a VCO or other oil deep overnight oiling.

Also do you do an acid rinse after poo bars? You might try making it a little stronger and let it sit on your scalp for a few minutes.
Yogurt packs are also very good for moisturizing your hair - but for me I have to CO afterwards because I don't like the yogurt smell - but if you have a fungus problem it really helps. But so does ACV.

And I have been using either chandrika soap, grandpa's pine tar soap or J. R. Liggett's Herbal Shampoo Bar (I didn't like CV Summer Sunshine - which is the only bar I tried because it had palm oil in it) (btw so does grandpa's) for several years and haven't experienced increased hair loss or breakage AS LONG as I keep to my once a week wash schedule... If I get obsessive (and I can) my hair much prefers soap based cleansers with a weak acid rinse (1 tsp ACV to 32 ounces water). But I do shed more in the spring.

just my 2cents

janeytilllie
April 14th, 2009, 12:58 PM
I have been going through a spring shed time too. So has my dog and my cat! I think it must be something to do with spring - because I seem to have this every year!

If you are really afraid that it is because of the poo bars - you could try going CO - the last time this happened to me my hair was actually too dry from too much soap washing (I was being obsessive and washing every day and my hair couldn't take it) and doing CO a couple of washes absolutely stopped my hair breaking - and then I was able to go back to poo bars.

OR - do a VCO or other oil deep overnight oiling.

just my 2cents

I have put coconut oil on the ends but its soaking it up, my ends are really really dry. I do pray it is spring shred.

I think I do need a break from the bars. I might look up the CO wash thread.

Thank you for your advice

sibylla
April 14th, 2009, 12:59 PM
I´m so sorry this is happening to you!Often it´s a vitamin insufficiency causing it. It can also be a thyroid problem. A doctor can with a simple bloodtest see if any of this is a case. I know it´s not a comfort but I shed a lot too. (maybe it´s a season thing?).Hope you´ll find out soon what´s causing it.

myotislucifugus
April 14th, 2009, 01:02 PM
You mentioned white curdy stuff on your scalp? You might try a lavender and thyme rinse to help if it is fungal, if that doesn't do the trick, go to a doctor, that sounds really unpleasant.

janeytilllie
April 14th, 2009, 01:04 PM
Iīm so sorry this is happening to you!Often itīs a vitamin insufficiency causing it. It can also be a thyroid problem. A doctor can with a simple bloodtest see if any of this is a case. I know itīs not a comfort but I shed a lot too. (maybe itīs a season thing?).Hope youīll find out soon whatīs causing it.

I have had the flu? and blocked ear at the moment so I am on antibiotics. I have used them before with no problems. The hair loss started as soon as I used the shampoo bar.

If this continues until Thursday or Friday I will see the doctors for a thyroid test. I eat a very balanced diet so I don't think it is a vitamin insufficiency?

Thank you for your advice :blossom:

Aisha25
April 14th, 2009, 01:05 PM
When you were using th SLS shampoo did you have any problems with it?? Itchy scalp dry hair??

janeytilllie
April 14th, 2009, 01:06 PM
You mentioned white curdy stuff on your scalp? You might try a lavender and thyme rinse to help if it is fungal, if that doesn't do the trick, go to a doctor, that sounds really unpleasant.

I have a huge lavender plant in the garden so I will make up a rinse tonight. I will wah my hair with the rinse tomorrow. If things do clear up and the hair loss continues I will see the doctors

Thanks for the advice

janeytilllie
April 14th, 2009, 01:08 PM
When you were using th SLS shampoo did you have any problems with it?? Itchy scalp dry hair??

The only problem I had with SLS shampoos was very frizzy dry hair but my scalp was fine. My hair did shed with SLS but not as much as the shampoo bar :(

Honey39
April 14th, 2009, 01:10 PM
Probably spring shed combined with the shampoo bar.

Try not to panic, it's not that much - just looks worse than it is, I lose more than that during a heavy shed!

Go back to basics for a while, and my advice would be to put your hair up and forget about it - no combing or worrying at it to see if hair is still coming out, it will just freak you out!!

Aisha25
April 14th, 2009, 01:12 PM
The only problem I had with SLS shampoos was very frizzy dry hair but my scalp was fine. My hair did shed with SLS but not as much as the shampoo bar :(
Did you dilute the shampoo with water before applying to your hair and scalp?? Usually if you dilute it you shouldnt have any problems with it unless your scalp is very sensitive to sls in general:)

janeytilllie
April 14th, 2009, 01:14 PM
Probably spring shed combined with the shampoo bar.

Try not to panic, it's not that much - just looks worse than it is, I lose more than that during a heavy shed!

Go back to basics for a while, and my advice would be to put your hair up and forget about it - no combing or worrying at it to see if hair is still coming out, it will just freak you out!!

I really do hope so. I have never had this heavy of shedding before. I have ideed but my hair up. I am hoping tomorrow is a better day and this shedding stops :(

Thank you for the advice

lapushka
April 14th, 2009, 01:15 PM
I'm sorry, but I don't think that's bad hairloss, or anything to panic about.

As for your scalp... Maybe use a regular shampoo for a few washes?

janeytilllie
April 14th, 2009, 01:18 PM
Did you dilute the shampoo with water before applying to your hair and scalp?? Usually if you dilute it you shouldnt have any problems with it unless your scalp is very sensitive to sls in general:)

Nope, I applied shampoo on my hair non diluted, it could be the reason why my hair was dry using it. I am very tempted to ditch the shampoo bars.

I do not think the shampoo bars clean the scalp well, because I have white curdy stuff on my scalp :(

Thanks for replying :blossom:

spidermom
April 14th, 2009, 01:22 PM
I can recommend the CWC method of washing your hair. I saved an empty shampoo bottle and always shake up my shampoo with about 1/2 cup of warm water, then squirt the solution all over my scalp. I run my fingers from forehead area back toward nape to make sure I wash all my scalp. My scalp and hair have been great with this routine no matter which shampoo I buy (most often a Natures Gate product).

walkinglady
April 14th, 2009, 01:26 PM
I go through a major shed every August - September. The first time I noticed it I panicked! I still don't like it but I have grown to expect it. The shed probably looks worse than it is because of the length of your hair. Just a few of my strands can look like a horrific amount when they get balled up. Also, if you noticed the shed when you started with shampoo bars I would put those away for now. Go back to your old routine and see if the shedding decreases.

janeytilllie
April 14th, 2009, 01:27 PM
I'm sorry, but I don't think that's bad hairloss, or anything to panic about.

As for your scalp... Maybe use a regular shampoo for a few washes?

I am really panicking because I have never shedding like this before, I only usually shed a few strands not clump fulls :(

I will do a shampoo wash, I will buy some SLS shampoo tomorrow.

Thank you for replying and advice :blossom:

janeytilllie
April 14th, 2009, 01:29 PM
I can recommend the CWC method of washing your hair. I saved an empty shampoo bottle and always shake up my shampoo with about 1/2 cup of warm water, then squirt the solution all over my scalp. I run my fingers from forehead area back toward nape to make sure I wash all my scalp. My scalp and hair have been great with this routine no matter which shampoo I buy (most often a Natures Gate product).

I will try CWC method tomorrow. I think my scalp really needs it. I think the white stuff is build up from the bar? So hopefully the shampoo helps.

Thank you for the advice

janeytilllie
April 14th, 2009, 01:32 PM
I go through a major shed every August - September. The first time I noticed it I panicked! I still don't like it but I have grown to expect it. The shed probably looks worse than it is because of the length of your hair. Just a few of my strands can look like a horrific amount when they get balled up. Also, if you noticed the shed when you started with shampoo bars I would put those away for now. Go back to your old routine and see if the shedding decreases.

Thank you, your message reassured me :flower:

I will do a shampoo wash tomorrow because the white curdy stuff needs sorting out. Hopefully the shampoo does the trick and this hair shedding stops.

Thank you again

spidermom
April 14th, 2009, 01:34 PM
I hope your scalp and hair will be happy again very soon. Good luck.

Tabitha
April 14th, 2009, 01:36 PM

Try not to panic! a lot of us are experiencing a spring shed and yes, some products do seem to make shedding worse. For me, CO washing seems to cause more shedding.

My scalp responds well to sulphate shampoos and I actually found the non-sulphate ones I tried to be harsher (2 flavours of Burts Bees - I've heard others here say the same). Latterly the scalp has needed a lot more cleansing than the length, which was becoming dry and rather frizzy. I've done a few CWCs (my version: shampoo on the scalp twice, each time protecting the length from ears down with conditioner, then conditioner from ears down only) and this seems to be working well.

janeytilllie
April 14th, 2009, 01:36 PM
I hope your scalp and hair will be happy again very soon. Good luck.

Thank you :flower:

LaurelSpring
April 14th, 2009, 01:49 PM
I just started a major shed so Im hoping its the spring thing. I havent made any changes recently. Antibiotics made me shed like crazy.

Honestwitness
April 14th, 2009, 02:00 PM
I read something on the Internet, some haircare web site that I can't remember now, that said it's not a good idea to dilute hair care products. The reason is that doing so also dilutes the preservatives that keep the bacteria and fungi from growing in them.

I wonder if the fact that you're on antibiotics could be related to the white stuff on your scalp. It sounds like it might be a yeast infection.

Maybe somehow the combination of poo bars and antibiotic use provides the right environment for a scalp infection. I know when I take antibiotics, I have to watch out for vaginal yeast infections, because the antibiotics kill the good bacteria, too. The good bacteria keep the organisms that normally exist inside and outside our bodies in balance.

Sorry to gross you out, but maybe this info will help you.

I would be calling a doctor or researching "scalp infections" on the internet, if I had what you have.

janeytilllie
April 14th, 2009, 02:01 PM
Try not to panic! a lot of us are experiencing a spring shed and yes, some products do seem to make shedding worse. For me, CO washing seems to cause more shedding.

My scalp responds well to sulphate shampoos and I actually found the non-sulphate ones I tried to be harsher (2 flavours of Burts Bees - I've heard others here say the same). Latterly the scalp has needed a lot more cleansing than the length, which was becoming dry and rather frizzy. I've done a few CWCs (my version: shampoo on the scalp twice, each time protecting the length from ears down with conditioner, then conditioner from ears down only) and this seems to be working well.

Thank you :flower: I am off to Boots pharmacy tomorrow. I havent' used SLS shampoos for year and half. I will do the CWC and see if this improves my scalp and hair.

Thank you for your advice :)

janeytilllie
April 14th, 2009, 02:05 PM
I read something on the Internet, some haircare web site that I can't remember now, that said it's not a good idea to dilute hair care products. The reason is that doing so also dilutes the preservatives that keep the bacteria and fungi from growing in them.

I wonder if the fact that you're on antibiotics could be related to the white stuff on your scalp. It sounds like it might be a yeast infection.

Maybe somehow the combination of poo bars and antibiotic use provides the right environment for a scalp infection. I know when I take antibiotics, I have to watch out for vaginal yeast infections, because the antibiotics kill the good bacteria, too. The good bacteria keep the organisms that normally exist inside and outside our bodies in balance.

Sorry to gross you out, but maybe this info will help you.

I would be calling a doctor or researching "scalp infections" on the internet, if I had what you have.

Thanks for your message :)

I will try a shampoo tomorrow if this doesn't help my scalp I will be off to the doctors. The antibiotics might be effecting me or the shampoo bar, I do not know which :confused:

Time will tell.

Thanks for the advice :flower:

janeytilllie
April 14th, 2009, 02:08 PM
I just started a major shed so Im hoping its the spring thing. I havent made any changes recently. Antibiotics made me shed like crazy.

It could be antibiotics? I have never had problems with them before, but there is a first time for everything they say. So if this shedding and scalp problem doesn't clear up, i'm off to the doctors again.

Anje
April 14th, 2009, 02:17 PM
The white curdy stuff sounds like it could be a problem... Do you do an acid rinse normally with your shampoo bar? It sounds like you might have some sort of infection or irritation on your scalp.

I remember someone here saying that yeast infections of the scalp glow orange under a blacklight... (ETA: Here it is. (http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/showthread.php?p=468566) Bippy posted it, #3.)

Personally, what I would do is rinse my scalp and hair with a slightly stronger-than-usual ACV rinse, then go WO on my scalp for a while to see if the shedding goes to a normal level. Condition the length as needed. But my scalp tends to do very well when left to its own devices, while others get itchy or shed if it's not kept very clean.

In any case, I want to wish you luck. Hopefully it'll just be related to a seasonal shed, or to your recent illness, and will stop soon.

janeytilllie
April 14th, 2009, 02:24 PM
The white curdy stuff sounds like it could be a problem... Do you do an acid rinse normally with your shampoo bar? It sounds like you might have some sort of infection or irritation on your scalp.

I remember someone here saying that yeast infections of the scalp glow orange under a blacklight... (ETA: Here it is. (http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/showthread.php?p=468566) Bippy posted it, #3.)

Personally, what I would do is rinse my scalp and hair with a slightly stronger-than-usual ACV rinse, then go WO on my scalp for a while to see if the shedding goes to a normal level. Condition the length as needed. But my scalp tends to do very well when left to its own devices, while others get itchy or shed if it's not kept very clean.

In any case, I want to wish you luck. Hopefully it'll just be related to a seasonal shed, or to your recent illness, and will stop soon.

Yep, I use a vinegar rinse of 100ml vinegar in 900 ml water. I am having a break from the shampoo bars for now. Hopefully my scalp clears and the hair shedding stops.

Thank you for the link I will look it up now :)

And thank you very much for your advice and support :flower:

jera
April 14th, 2009, 02:44 PM
I find Tea tree oil beneficial in combating fungus. Aborigines have used it successfully for centuries to treat everything from Leprosy to dandruff. :)

The white cruddy stuff?? Could that be sebum buildup from the poo bar?? I'd try using an acv rinse after your shampoo. I don't think sls shampoo is the answer, but if you need to clean your scalp thorougly, I guess it would be okay for you.

Please try to calm down. Stress will only exacerbate shedding. Just talk to us and try to chill out. That's what we're here for. We all experience shedding. :o

neon-dream
April 14th, 2009, 02:45 PM
I lose about that much hair every day, it doesn't worry me. But apparantley seasonal changes can affect your hair too.
Shampoo bars seem to work fine with me!

janeytilllie
April 14th, 2009, 02:56 PM
I find Tea tree oil beneficial in combating fungus. Aborigines have used it successfully for centuries to treat everything from Leprosy to dandruff. :)

The white cruddy stuff?? Could that be sebum buildup from the poo bar?? I'd try using an acv rinse after your shampoo. I don't think sls shampoo is the answer, but if you need to clean your scalp thorougly, I guess it would be okay for you.

Please try to calm down. Stress will only exacerbate shedding. Just talk to us and try to chill out. That's what we're here for. We all experience shedding. :o

Awwww! thank you :flower:

I am beginning to calm down and breathe lol. I will look for some tea tree oil in Boots pharmacy tomorrow, I think they sell it?

I will try the shampoo wash tomorrow. I am hoping its just build up and it goes away. I hate going to the doctors!

Thank you again for your lovely message :)

janeytilllie
April 14th, 2009, 02:59 PM
I lose about that much hair every day, it doesn't worry me. But apparantley seasonal changes can affect your hair too.
Shampoo bars seem to work fine with me!

It was very shocking for me. I normally lose very little of hair. But this is the first time I have had such a huge (to me) shed. Maybe I just need a little break from my bars? It could be my antibiotics or the seasonal change?

I'm confused! :confused: lol :)

Thank you for replying :flower:

marialena
April 14th, 2009, 03:39 PM
I am really panicking because I have never shedding like this before, I only usually shed a few strands not clump fulls :(

I will do a shampoo wash, I will buy some SLS shampoo tomorrow.

Thank you for replying and advice :blossom:

I don't think that this is a great hair loss. If your hair are long sometimes shedding looks worst than it really is. The itching comes perhaps by the change of your hair routine, but I don't think that you are loosing your hair.
My advice is not to return to the SLS shampoos and just to use something else but not those.
In any case don't panic. :)

janeytilllie
April 14th, 2009, 03:46 PM
I don't think that this is a great hair loss. If your hair are long sometimes shedding looks worst than it really is. The itching comes perhaps by the change of your hair routine, but I don't think that you are loosing your hair.
My advice is not to return to the SLS shampoos and just to use something else but not those.
In any case don't panic. :)

I will have a look round at my Boots pharmacy to see what they sell, I think they sell a SLS free shampoo called Naked. But for now, I am having a bit of a break from the hair soap.

Thank you for the advice and support :)

rags
April 14th, 2009, 03:46 PM
I lost very little hair on my pre-LHC routine.(a few hairs every wash). After a while on CWC, I decided my first change would be to try poo bars. They were okay for a bit, but then the shedding started (although I only made it about two weeks with them). Huge clumps, just like you are having. And my hair turned to straw. My conclusion - my hair hates poo bars! I went back to SLS shampoo and the shedding stopped. Hopefully it will for you too!
Good luck!

janeytilllie
April 14th, 2009, 03:50 PM
I lost very little hair on my pre-LHC routine.(a few hairs every wash). After a while on CWC, I decided my first change would be to try poo bars. They were okay for a bit, but then the shedding started (although I only made it about two weeks with them). Huge clumps, just like you are having. And my hair turned to straw. My conclusion - my hair hates poo bars! I went back to SLS shampoo and the shedding stopped. Hopefully it will for you too!
Good luck!

Thank you for the message :flower:

I will buying some shampoo tomorrow and try using it for abit. I might go back to my shampoo bars one day. But for now I am stopping.

Thank you again :)

girlcat36
April 14th, 2009, 03:54 PM
Today I also had a huge hair shed. I lost 130 hairs in the shower--yes, I counted. My hair is very thin and also fine, so I think that is too much. I did finish a course of antibiotics(amoxicillin) two weeks ago.

Shampoo bars---Thay give me great volume, but after several weeks I have to give them up. I get flaky scalp crud. This only happens with poo bars. So I stop using them for 6 months, and then go back to them until the scalp crud starts up again.

I would swear that it is my water(the chlorine) that causes my hairloss. The less I wet my hair, the less I shed. I am getting a vitamin C filter installed in the next few months.

janeytilllie
April 14th, 2009, 03:58 PM
Today I also had a huge hair shed. I lost 130 hairs in the shower--yes, I counted. My hair is very thin and also fine, so I think that is too much. I did finish a course of antibiotics(amoxicillin) two weeks ago.

Shampoo bars---Thay give me great volume, but after several weeks I have to give them up. I get flaky scalp crud. This only happens with poo bars. So I stop using them for 6 months, and then go back to them until the scalp crud starts up again.

I would swear that it is my water(the chlorine) that causes my hairloss. The less I wet my hair, the less I shed. I am getting a vitamin C filter installed in the next few months.

Thank you for your message. It sounds like you had what I have got :) So plan for now, stop the bars start with the shampoo. If nothnig clears up, I'm off to the doctors again:(

Thank you again for the message :flower:

Elphie
April 14th, 2009, 04:02 PM

That would only be a problem if you're storing the diluted shampoo. If you dilute it in a separate container just prior to using it, this won't be a problem.

I don't think it looks like a huge amount either, try not to panic (I know, easier said than done!) but you've been given lots of good advice. Maybe a change is in order and poo bars just aren't working well for you right now? I hope you get to the bottom of your problem soon!

janeytilllie
April 14th, 2009, 04:13 PM
That would only be a problem if you're storing the diluted shampoo. If you dilute it in a separate container just prior to using it, this won't be a problem.

I don't think it looks like a huge amount either, try not to panic (I know, easier said than done!) but you've been given lots of good advice. Maybe a change is in order and poo bars just aren't working well for you right now? I hope you get to the bottom of your problem soon!

longhairedfairy
April 14th, 2009, 04:14 PM
It could be caused by antibiotics, hormonal changes, the season, or all kinds of things. Please don't panic. :grouphug: It's not as much as it looks like at first. When you have long hair a few hairs look like a lot more. I lose what looks like a lot of hair every day, but my hair is not getting any thinner, so it's probably not really very much.
:grouphug:

marialena
April 14th, 2009, 08:08 PM
[..]

Swear! It is true! :rolleyes: I found out that the same happened to me and the cause was the chloride water.
I use only filtered water to wash my hair and sometimes rain water.. But I realized and something worst. That I have an allergy to chloride water (when I drink it - I'm getting some kind of eczema when I drink tab water).

So now I have water filters in all tabs of the house.

Tornerose
April 14th, 2009, 08:30 PM
It seems I'm not the only one thinking the antibiotics are to blame here.
Have you had frequent antibiotic treatments in the past? What kind of antibiotic are you on (I'm guessing pencillin)?. Does the antibiotic make your pee smell? All theese things should be taken ito consideration, and figuring out how to deal with it.

Remember that antibiotics kill EVERY SINGLE BACTERIA in your body, good and bad, so after the cure is over, make sure you add some probiotics (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Probiotic) (like bio-life yoghurt), and when the mothly arrives, use tampons with probiotics to help restore the balance and/or prevent a vaginal yeat infection. If you've already gotten a yeastinfection, well then I guess you know what to do ;)

To those who use SLS shampoos and cones - Do you have any problems with SLS or cones?

Well no but then again I've always used SLS & Cones, I can't seem to stick to natural options just yet.
I do have a dry flaky scalp and dry hair though, and your youtubevideoes made me realise it might be the SLS.

girlcat36
April 14th, 2009, 09:18 PM
Swear! It is true! :rolleyes: I found out that the same happened to me and the cause was the chloride water.
I use only filtered water to wash my hair and sometimes rain water.. But I realized and something worst. That I have an allergy to chloride water (when I drink it - I'm getting some kind of eczema when I drink tab water).

So now I have water filters in all tabs of the house.

When I get out of the shower, I get red itchy pimply things on my torso. They go away after a while. It is not from soap because I am water only. I am guessing that may be from the chlorine as well.

I suffer from eczema as well.

janeytilllie
April 15th, 2009, 08:51 AM
It seems I'm not the only one thinking the antibiotics are to blame here.
Have you had frequent antibiotic treatments in the past? What kind of antibiotic are you on (I'm guessing pencillin)?. Does the antibiotic make your pee smell? All theese things should be taken ito consideration, and figuring out how to deal with it.

Remember that antibiotics kill EVERY SINGLE BACTERIA in your body, good and bad, so after the cure is over, make sure you add some probiotics (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Probiotic) (like bio-life yoghurt), and when the mothly arrives, use tampons with probiotics to help restore the balance and/or prevent a vaginal yeat infection. If you've already gotten a yeastinfection, well then I guess you know what to do ;)

Well no but then again I've always used SLS & Cones, I can't seem to stick to natural options just yet.
I do have a dry flaky scalp and dry hair though, and your youtubevideoes made me realise it might be the SLS.

I have had antibiotics before with no problems. I am on pencillin for my ear infection :(

I am im fine other than my scalp and the major hair shed. Today is alot better regarding the hair shed that has gone down. But still got the scalp problem.

I will follow your advice to add more Probiotics :)

I got some some SLS free shampoo faith in nature rosemary which is meant for scalp,itchy conditions and baby conditioner. Hopefully my scalp will feel better afterwards. If not back to the doctors again! :eek:

Thank you for your wonderful advice and support :flowers:

Heidi_234
April 15th, 2009, 10:04 AM
Honey, when I had hair loss, I was pulling out at least tightly packed ping pong size hair balls, every single shower. I had eating disorders, and I lost third of my hair to that. Don't overreact, my hairballs today look just like yours. Every times I touch my hair I pull out another hair or two (and I do touch my hair often). Take it in the right proportions and don't stress over it, as stress really does lead to hair loss.
If you feel that shampoo bars make your scalp unhealthy, you don't have to use them. Good thing they are good as body soap. As for SLS, once I stopped using SLS shampoo, my shed (my regular normal shed, not the hair loss episode I mentioned earlier) decreased by alot. There are SLS free shampoo out there, there is also diary whip, soapnut and Indian herbs, and you can always CO or WO. Your scalp won't be left dirty, as a LHCer you've got planty of tricks up your sleeves. :)
Just don't panic. You do have to shed, sometimes it's more, sometimes it less. Honestly, with your length that hairball doesn't look even close to 100 hairs, and that's a normal daily shed rate. :flower:

Babyfine
April 15th, 2009, 10:55 AM
I never used shampoo bars, but I was shampooing once a week with a nonsulfate poo and COing the rest of the time. Maybe I wasn't doing it right but I wound up with cradle cap on my scalp.(But my length liked it) My stylist pointed out the cradle cap to me.
I now CWC every 3 days with Nioxin Step 3- using a heavier conditioner just on the ends. My scalp is so much happier. But I have an oily scalp and tend to break out on my face. Everyone's hair and scalp is different. In your case
it could be the antiobiotics, also. I had pneumonia in the fall of '05 and was on antibiotics for a month including prednisone and and inhaler and my hair looked limp and dull and lost it's wave.(looked even thinner and finer than normal)Had to wear it nup and forget it.
It did come back after I quit the antibiotics and got back to health, though.
Honestly, though, your shedding doesn't look that bad to me.

I also installed a bathtub filter to get rid of the chlorine. My skin really is so much better- haven't noticed any difference in shedding but hair seems better, too.

Desideira
July 18th, 2009, 04:18 AM
I am panicking too becuse I am facing huge hair shedding...Its been few weeks like this. First I tried to take it cool but I cant ennymore:(

I was trying to figure out what can be a reson. I heard in the internet that using to much and too heavy oil for fine hair can break it. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hsORQ_zBUsc&feature=channel_page

What you think about that? I never heard it before:rolleyes:

I have fine hair and since I started oil before wash and after washing my shedding increased. I bought some multi witamin specially for hair to help hair form inside too. I aslo decided to use good protein conditioner and not use anything with silicone. I can see its working preety fast:) My hair shed a littel less.

sweet*things
July 18th, 2009, 06:55 AM
If the chick in that video was oiling and then flat-ironing, I imagine she really was frying her hair, which would cause breakage for anyone. I think oils are fine. Fine hair needs less oil before it looks weighed down and greasy, but otherwise it has no different reaction to oil than any other hair type.

I'm glad your shed is decreasing! I've gone through very heavy sheds myself. Some seasonal, some thyroid related. It is scary. I'm now trying to see if I can regrow what I've lost.

Desideira
July 18th, 2009, 01:07 PM
I agree with you. Flat ironing killed her hair for sure. When I saw this video i paniced. I am taking it cool now:cool:

I dont use any heat on my hair.From this week Iam taking special witamin for hair that claim to contain two amino acids that are crucial for hair - L- cysteine and L-metionine as well as iron and zinc.
I was taking it after huge hair loss and It helped once and I belive it work preety fast.
I also stoped drinking coffe and started to eat more portein. Last month i started taking dance classes and lost few pounds so it may be a reason too. Now I am eating more healthy but I knwo it will take time to see effects.
I know vitmins and diet dont wrok that fast.Not in four days. I bought this week conditioner and I am amazed how storng and good it is. I used it two times and today I noticed only few hair fell out when week before I could see it coming in bunches. It was bloody expensive but I belive its working like nothing I tried before. Its protein conditioner withaut silicones by Marlies Moller, luxury care conditioning milk. I was afraid to buy it becuase it was expensive and my hair had mixed reaciton to protein... but all I can say is WOW. So much improvemnet after two uses... I love it:crush:

I am really sorry that you are experiencing this too. I wish you to restore hair that you have lost
I know how you feel:grouphug: