PDA

View Full Version : Growing out layers ...

losgan
April 14th, 2009, 09:51 AM
Are there any "rules" about growing out layers?

I have some hideous (well, they weren't when my hair was 3" long) layers that I'm currently growing out (you can see them in my avatar).

I was leaning toward cutting them out when the shortest layer gets to BSL ... is there any good reason to do it sooner than that, or later than that? Just curious how others deal with something that can be so great in short hair, but so awkward in the growing out phase ...

Roseate
April 14th, 2009, 10:53 AM
I think it depends on whether you have a stylist you can trust. The last time I was growing my hair I grew out the layers while growing my hair; I got my hair trimmed twice a year and at each trim my stylist would trim the bottom 1/2-1" and just barely dust the layers. By the time I was at BSL they were minimal, and totally gone by waist.

This will not work if your stylist thinks "dust" means 1/2" off. In that case, you could either self-trim the bottom a bit as you go to let the layers catch up, or do a chop at some point. BSL sounds as good a length as any; you will still have enough length after your chop to do updos and such.

KajiKodomo
April 14th, 2009, 10:53 AM
Each person is different. It depends on how much it bothers you and how you think it looks.

I grew out from a buzzcut and am currently growing out from a really short cut. I don't plan on cutting until the end of the year, but if it starts to look bad, I may cut sooner.

Either way, if you are going for hair without layers, it will take the same amount of time to grow out regardless of whether you cut now or later. Do you want extra length now, or do you want an even hemline now?

spidermom
April 14th, 2009, 11:14 AM
I had a good hair stylist when I grew out my layers, too. She would cut maybe 1/2" off the length and 1/4" off the layers (something like that). By shoulder-blade length, the layers had caught up with the length.

Then at lower SBL, I had long layers put in; what was I thinking?! (I held at hip length for about 9 months to trim away damage, and my layers caught up during that time, so no layers now, except in the front).

amaiaisabella
April 14th, 2009, 11:16 AM
I agree with KajiKodomo. Each person's hair is different. For me, at least, if I don't have layers, my hair hangs lifeless. Since I've been growing out my hair, I rarely wear it down. My layers have grown the most quickly, so I'm pretty much at all one length, excluding a few face-framing pieces. Once I hit a certain milestone, or my goal length (BSL), I will add in a few long layers and angles around my face.

If your ultimate goal is to have your hair all one length, don't trim. Use your layers to your advantage. Do a Peacock twist, which is a french twist with the ends splaying out. This looks best on layered hair, as the hair is all different lengths and looks more funky :) Pigtails are also a good choice, especially since your hair is still so short. Be patient, and happy growing!

LutraLutra
April 14th, 2009, 11:38 AM
I've recently had most of my layers cut off as they were looking really tired and grown-out. I'm glad I did it. They're are no rules, just what works for you. If they don't anoy you, then don't cut. My hair is fine and wavy and my longest layers just didn't sit well with the rest of my hair.

losgan
April 14th, 2009, 12:39 PM
Do you want extra length now, or do you want an even hemline now?

This is an excellent point!

That settles it - I'm waiting till BSL.

We'll see what it looks like then - I may still go for some face-framing layers - but not this all-over stuff I have right now.

The last few days, I've been pulling the top layer back in a tie, just so it doesn't look quite so funky. And when I'm working out, I'm actually to the point that I can pull all of it into the most pathetic little ponytail! Yay progress! :)

goodluckcharm
April 14th, 2009, 12:48 PM
I'm pretty much having the same condundrum- do I grow it out or chop the layers off now? I decided the same thing that you have- I'll wait until BSL or waist to get rid of the layers. Also, I think while my hair is shorter it lays better with some layering.

granitbaby
April 14th, 2009, 02:58 PM
I have some kind of love/hate feelings about my layers. I don't like them, they mess up my up-dos and look frizzy when I wear hair down, but I really don't want to cut them off all at once. I will continue to trim a couple of inches a year and if the layers look OK when I hit TB I might consider keeping them, or if they don't look good, I'll cut.
My layers are pretty long and I hope the impact of the layers will be smaller when my hair gets longer :)

zen_oven
April 14th, 2009, 03:08 PM
It depends on your hair and how you feel about it, really. I was all gung-ho to get rid of my layers for a while there, but I think I'm starting to get fairytale ends (which I never thought I'd like!) and I don't think they'd be possible without my layers. If you really don't like your hair with layers, I say get rid of them. How much time you take to get rid of them is entirely up to you. A huge sudden chop will probably be too traumatic (at least it would be for me), so you could just have a bit cut off your bottom layer at a time and work your way up until you are satisfied. Then you can just maintain.

Addy
April 15th, 2009, 05:00 AM
I was growing out layers from hell from a layer job gone bad in Aug 07' and in May of 08' my hair was almost BSL with layers above my shoulders. I couldn't do anything with it because I looked like a mushroom head if I didn't straighten it so I bit the bullet and had my hair cut to shoulder length and I've been growing out ever since. I'm glad I did it because then/now I could/can wash and go without heat damage.

I'm gaining length now and I can't wait til September to show off for my first anniversary! :D

Happy Growing!

pdy2kn6
April 15th, 2009, 07:37 AM
argh, i am too in this threads category...i have no idea what to do with my layers. they are so messed up. I just want to chop them all off, but that would leave me at armpit length again, and its been such a long journey getting to where i am now, which is about 3 inches away from waist. very happy to be finally near waist, but my layers do bring me on a come down a little bit. I keep thinking they will all eventually end upb blending in with all my hair, and not looking so piecy, but i just cant imagine whether they will or not. I am going for extreme lengths so i really don't know what to do. Now the layers further up my hair are starting to taper alot, so i have lots of natural tapering in my layered hair, and thicker at the bottom where it was cut more bluntly (at the bottom)....it's so frustrating!

Lohari
April 15th, 2009, 08:01 AM
Haha, I'm growing out my "layers" too. I have really thick bangs and/or fringe AND one not-even-shoulder-lenght-layer and some little longer hairs because of my stupid mind :'P
I can't even imagine how much thicker my hair would look if those all would be BSL as my longest hairs... And I don't WANT to imagine how long it will take to grow them that long. I still want to keep my bangs, but almost half of it's thickness will be sacrificed for my length >:'D
If I was okay with short hair on me, I would cut it as short as the shortest layer, but I don't think I could stand it and would go mad if my hair was cut that short (Like... chinlength). Maybe I will just keep trimming a little every month, until my hair is almost the same length.

Addy
April 15th, 2009, 08:09 AM
Layers are definately a pain to grow out.

templeofvenus
April 15th, 2009, 08:11 AM
I am growing out short layers from a graduated short bob!! yep above chin length! I have just had the hem evened up and its almost all one length now so I can begin growing it down. At least my fringe is grown out aswell and I don't have that to contend with anymore lol

AmandaPanda
April 15th, 2009, 12:51 PM
There was a thread recently about not trimming layers.

I had shoulder length hair with tons of layers (it was layered/thinned with a razor) and I grew my hair out and never trimmed them. I got rid of them slowly by trimming the ends. They were finally gone around hip length. My hair didn't look bad most of the time (in my opinion). There were times the layers looked horrible when my hair was shorter.

I suggest hanging in there and giving them some time time to grow out a bit more

jojo
April 15th, 2009, 10:11 PM
this is the route ive taken too Amanda. I still have face framing layers in the front but my back ones have caught up by just dusting the ends.

NebraskaChick84
April 16th, 2009, 12:27 AM
I'm starting to feel the sting of having layers, my hair is just about reaching bra strap length, I can finally do some up dos and braids but I found that I have a longer tail in my braid due to the layers, and some of my up dos fall out a little due to the layers also. I have decided to just keep growing until I can comfortably do the braids and 'dos and then cut the layers out completely.

That is just what will make ME feel like I'm growing more. For right now, length is better then an even hemline.

losgan
April 16th, 2009, 05:34 AM
For right now, length is better then an even hemline.

That's what I've concluded as well. My hair is fairly thick too - so I hate to think what it would do above shoulder length if all of it got together, he he.

Fethenwen
April 16th, 2009, 05:58 AM
Layers are definately a pain to grow out.
Second that. My hair is having the "mushroom head" phase :p They turn inward and stuff, looks awful. Thankfully most updos hide them well by now :) And layers also make my ends turn funny in the back when wearing it down, but soon I will gain more length and that will weigh down the layers.

I would suggest updos as a way of growing out layers, if they are in good condition that is.

Edit: oh, I should also mention that layers do have tendency to cause more damage to hair. So one has to be careful when handling them, otherwise the damage will just spread further up. Cutting them off is a good way to prevent this.
I did cut my layers myself, just snipped them horizontally a bit one layer by one. I think this has helped them to not thin out too much and cause damage.