PDA

View Full Version : Long hair sisterhood/brotherhood

Curlsgirl
April 14th, 2009, 06:26 AM
Wasn't sure what to name this thread but I don't think I have ever seen one on this subject. Let me explain..since long hairs are (at least in my area) fairly uncommon anymore (waist and beyond) I find that I feel a certain kinship to the ones I do see from day to day. There are a couple around my age at church and that's IT. One of them has taken to sitting on the same row as me and the other sits just a few rows back. They both talk to me as if they know me and sometimes one will remark about my hair or tell me something they did to theirs. One just had 8 inches cut off, it was classic and now still beautiful but just above TB. Anyone else notice a sort of common bond like this? Even in public places when I see a long hair sometimes we just look at each other admiringly or knowingly sort of like, "WE LOVE LONG HAIR AND IT'S BEAUTIFUL". :love:

auburnlocks
April 14th, 2009, 06:44 AM
I think there is a common bond, when jealousy doesn’t interfere. For those who love their hair for what it is, loving someone else’s hair is easy. For those who feel less that happy about their hair, it can be hard to admire another’s hair. I have experienced this myself. But I hope I have matured enough now to respect my own hair, and therefore respect another’s long-hair too. :D

learnthenLive!
April 14th, 2009, 07:25 AM
I never wear my hair down in public. I don't feel comfortable wearing it down. I don't really know why.

Tap Dancer
April 14th, 2009, 07:30 AM
I never wear my hair down in public. I don't feel comfortable wearing it down. I don't really know why.

I don't blame you. At your length, it could be dangerous: people could grab it, sit on it, step on it, pull it...

Curlsgirl
April 14th, 2009, 11:43 AM
Wow, nobody else? I guess I am weird!!! :eek::poot:

spidermom
April 14th, 2009, 11:50 AM
There is a woman with hair about my length who works at the hospital that I work for (but from home). The last few times I was at the hospital and saw her, we caught each other checking out the other's hair, and a silent acknowledgement definitely passed between us.

Curlsgirl
April 14th, 2009, 11:53 AM
There is a woman with hair about my length who works at the hospital that I work for (but from home). The last few times I was at the hospital and saw her, we caught each other checking out the other's hair, and a silent acknowledgement definitely passed between us.

Ahhhhh so someone DOES know what I mean! :flower:

enfys
April 14th, 2009, 12:06 PM

Ooh yeah I've done that. You know like you get when you give way to a car, and the drivers kind of wave at each other, or nod? It's a bit like that. An approval.

But I only do it when they are a fellow ambassador. People with horrid rats nests don't have that connection.

Paliele
April 14th, 2009, 12:21 PM
My hair isn't long even by RL standards, but I feel a kinship with longhairs just because I've been learning so much about it due to LHC. I always want to go up to RL longhairs and ask them how they care for it or if they have a favorite treatment or something, but I never have. I'm afraid that they would think that I was weird or creepy because just by looking at me you can't tell I'm big into hair. :shrug:

Rimi
April 14th, 2009, 12:30 PM
I very, very rarely ever wear my hair down in public anymore. Last time was New Year's Eve. Before that I wore a ponytail (couldn't find stick!) to my mammogram. The check in woman had the most beautiful long, long hair. Longer than mine, and h-e-a-l-t-h-y! We chatted up a quick, quiet storm and I told her about this place and she gave me great tips. As I left I said, "Longhairs Unite!" and she got the biggest kick out of that. Think she needed to hear it, maybe. Just nice to know they're out there! Feels like a really "cool" club or something.

lizzyjo
April 14th, 2009, 03:33 PM
I definitely know what you mean. I think this feeling is the same among those who have dreadlocks, or beards, or drive the same car, or have piercings/tattoos, etc.

freznow
April 14th, 2009, 04:09 PM
Definitely. All other things equal, I'm more likely to feel kinship with a longhair than with a shorty. Even on TV shows, I automatically take a liking to the characters/actors with long hair. Though, there are other qualities that can cause the same feeling, like how they dress, or their accent, I guess there's just something about having something obviously in common.