PDA

View Full Version : How to find a long hair friendly stylist?

whiteisle
April 13th, 2009, 08:04 PM
The lady I go to now is very, very good - skilled, talented, knowlegable - however, over the years I haven't gotten the impression she is an advocate of really long hair. During my last trim I told her I am shooting for bra strap length. She said I could do it but wouldn't have much on top meaning my hair would thin on top due to having longer hair. :confused::confused::confused: She also told my mom this same thing when her hair was pretty long and she ended up loosing about 6-8 inches! And now, her once past-bsl hair is now barely past her shoulders after a second visit to this lady. :( So despite how good this woman is she doesn't seem to promote longer hair. I manage to spread my visits with her to every 4 months or so but I hate to loose 3 months of growth just because she thinks I'll go bald on top with long hair. And I am a sucker for nicely trimmed ends right now...maybe as it gets longer I'll find favor with more fairytale type ends.

I don't know anyone IRL that has really long hair so I can't ask around per se. Would you just pick up the phone and start asking if anyone in X salon is long-hair friendly??

kam984420
April 13th, 2009, 08:08 PM
The lady I go to now is very, very good - skilled, talented, knowlegable - however, over the years I haven't gotten the impression she is an advocate of really long hair. During my last trim I told her I am shooting for bra strap length. She said I could do it but wouldn't have much on top meaning my hair would thin on top due to having longer hair. :confused::confused::confused: She also told my mom this same thing when her hair was pretty long and she ended up loosing about 6-8 inches! And now, her once past-bsl hair is now barely past her shoulders after a second visit to this lady. :( So despite how good this woman is she doesn't seem to promote longer hair. I manage to spread my visits with her to every 4 months or so but I hate to loose 3 months of growth just because she thinks I'll go bald on top with long hair. And I am a sucker for nicely trimmed ends right now...maybe as it gets longer I'll find favor with more fairytale type ends.

I don't know anyone IRL that has really long hair so I can't ask around per se. Would you just pick up the phone and start asking if anyone in X salon is long-hair friendly??

At one time the members here had compiled a list of long hair friendly salons. Maybe someone here will remember which thread that was.:confused:

Flaxen
April 13th, 2009, 08:09 PM
You can check the list of long hair friendly salons in the list of VITs at the top of the boards, to see if there is one near you. :smile:

LHGypsyRose
April 13th, 2009, 08:14 PM
Thats a good question. I was wanting to ask the very same thing before but never got around to it. I am also hoping to find someone in my area to trim my ends for me.

Idk..maybe a good question to start with would be, do you any have any experience with extra long hair? And if they do, then maybe proceed to tell them your situation and what your looking for in a stylist?

whiteisle
April 13th, 2009, 08:27 PM
You can check the list of long hair friendly salons in the list of VITs at the top of the boards, to see if there is one near you. :smile:

No luck. :( I'm in NC and no listings there.

morguebabe
April 13th, 2009, 09:03 PM

Yeah I was going to say we have a list somewhere.

Kina
April 13th, 2009, 09:05 PM
I would ask random people who I saw with long hair who their hairdresser was. The other thing you could do would be to actually interview stylists, BEFORE you let them touch your hair.

SwordMaiden
April 13th, 2009, 10:35 PM
I had this problem also... I was getting my hair trimmed from a lady, whom I had been going to for a while...,but after a time...she didn't really want to bother with my longer hair...so I moved around a bit ,but still haven't found a stylist yet...so I am doing my own trimming for now.

Sorry I wasn't much help!

Flaxen
April 13th, 2009, 10:57 PM
No luck. :( I'm in NC and no listings there.
Hmm, well, some long hairs have had great success going to a barber shop. It has been reported that they can be trusted to do small trims.

Heavenly Locks
April 14th, 2009, 01:26 AM
I think the key is communication. Their JOB is to give you what you ask for ;) If you go in and tell her, I am growing my hair out long and I would like one half inch removed from the ends, no more. Have her show you what 1/2 inch is to her...heck, bring a ruler. That way she knows exactly what to do. :)

Rebelkat
April 14th, 2009, 01:44 AM
I would suggest going to a barber shop or a small, privately owned beauty shop instead of a salon that's part of a chain. Before I started self-trimming, that's what I did. After one too many times asking for a trim at a chain salon and coming out with hair that was 4-6" shorter than it was when I went in, I decided chain salons weren't for me. Stylists at privately owned shops often listen to you better because their businesses thrive on return customers, so you should have results you are happy with if you go to one.

Barber shops also work well because they don't try to pressure you into doing something you don't want to with your hair. They usually get to you quickly, ask you what you want, do just that, and then you're done. There's not the nonsense of "you'd look better with a *insert fashionable hair cut name here*," because that's not what barber shops do. Of course, this is only in my experience. The only way you'll know for sure is to try this out yourself.

By the way, have you considered self-trimming?

Elenna
April 14th, 2009, 01:49 AM
There have been numerous threads on this subject. The conclusion is to be very, very careful especially with hair stylists. Communication is one part, if they listen.

blondecat
April 14th, 2009, 01:57 AM
Hmm, well, some long hairs have had great success going to a barber shop. It has been reported that they can be trusted to do small trims.

Yup, I go to my local barber shop.

They are good, cheep and have no vested interest in cutting it short.

Heidi_234
April 14th, 2009, 04:05 AM
Yeap, I second the little barber shop tip.
But I have to say, I was trimming my hair at the little local beauty place with this very nice lady, who was very attentive and understood my goals of having long hair. She even hennaed my hair once, really non-conventional hairstylist, I'd say :p.
But despite all that, at first she did a great job, trimming the least of the least. But after few visits she I could see some inch long hairs, and sometimes she's push me to "cutting all this damage", and she kept saying that if I wan't it long I should come every 2 months for 1/3" trim. I can't give myself 1/3", so she definitely couldn't.
As soon as I stopped attending her salon so regularly my suddenly grew longer. As soon as I stopped going there altogether my got to the longest it was in years. Since I was a child I haven't have it this long.
I know it awkward, and it's harder on straighter hair, but if you can attend a hair salon the least you can, do it. If you can replace it with self-trimming, do so. You're the #1 person to trust when in comes to your hair. Your hair might be too short now for self trimming, but if you can get past it without trimming, even if the hemline gets messy and uneven, little discomfort now will pay off big time when it grows out.
So yeah, try to find a local small privately owned hair salon place, but aim to visit it as little as you can. :flower:

Carolyn
April 14th, 2009, 05:40 AM
I'd suggest interviewing stylists. Most will give free consultations. Tell her you are growing your hair longer and you are looking for a stylist who will do small regular trims. If you do find one you think you like and you let her trim your hair, be sure to tip VERY WELL.

Anje
April 14th, 2009, 07:04 AM
I probably am little help, since I've never had a regular stylist and love that I can now just do my own hair rather than go to the hassle of going to the local cheapy chain hair salon. However, it strikes me that a good way to start is to just look in the windows of the local salons, and see if you can spot a stylist with longer-than-average hair that isn't completely fried.

Another option is to ask other long-hairs (especially friends) who trims their hair. Many might say they do their own. In that case, you could always ask if they would do yours -- trimming on someone else shouldn't be too different from trimming your own, and friends will be inclined to respect your wishes to maintain length.

pdy2kn6
April 14th, 2009, 07:13 AM
I would suggest going to a barber shop or a small, privately owned beauty shop instead of a salon that's part of a chain. Before I started self-trimming, that's what I did. After one too many times asking for a trim at a chain salon and coming out with hair that was 4-6" shorter than it was when I went in, I decided chain salons weren't for me. Stylists at privately owned shops often listen to you better because their businesses thrive on return customers, so you should have results you are happy with if you go to one.

great idea rebelkat, i never though about doing this... and the smaller privately owned ones would have much more time to discuss your individual needs, much better than those big chains who are always rushing to get you in and out so they stay on schedule

Jim
April 14th, 2009, 09:36 AM
I'd suggest you ask other people with long hair. I have done this - not for a while though because I have had the same stylist for years - and it is always well received. If you say to someone, "Your hair is beautiful, may I ask where you get it done?" you will be giving them a compliment, making them feel great, and getting the information that you need. Seems like a win win situation to me.

Jim

enfys
April 14th, 2009, 12:34 PM
I have a lot of long and short hair friends who had terrible experiences at salons, and much better looking hair when a friend of mine has sut it. She has no training at all, but say I hurt my shoulders and couldn't do it myself I'd trust Katy to do my hair.

You may be surprised at the amount of your friends who cut hair themselves.

When I've been to several barbers with my boyfriend they've assumed more than once that I was a customer, and I had to explain I was wiht him. So while a barber has never trimmed my hair it must not be uncommon.

If you feel brave enough I think phoning is not a bad idea, especially if you leave it a few weeks before going in incase they think you're odd!

spidermom
April 14th, 2009, 12:55 PM
I wonder if the hair stylist meant that the weight of long hair would pull your hair flat to your skull; surely she doesn't think that you'll lose your hair. Weird. I look for stylists with long hair, although the one I have now doesn't have it, doesn't want it, but likes mine. My DD pressured me to start with this stylist, a friend of hers. She's treated me right so far.

kirky
April 14th, 2009, 02:26 PM
Hi Whiteisle,

Do you have a friend or relative you could trust to do the job? That is what I prefer.

BTW...I love your straight blunt hemline!

whiteisle
April 14th, 2009, 03:10 PM

Barber shops also work well because they don't try to pressure you into doing something you don't want to with your hair. They usually get to you quickly, ask you what you want, do just that, and then you're done. There's not the nonsense of "you'd look better with a *insert fashionable hair cut name here*," because that's not what barber shops do. Of course, this is only in my experience. The only way you'll know for sure is to try this out yourself.

By the way, have you considered self-trimming?

I hadn't thought about the barber shop........do you think they'd be skilled at a straight hemline cut? I ask because apparently that is difficult compared to cutting in layers.

whiteisle
April 14th, 2009, 03:15 PM
I wonder if the hair stylist meant that the weight of long hair would pull your hair flat to your skull; surely she doesn't think that you'll lose your hair. Weird. I look for stylists with long hair, although the one I have now doesn't have it, doesn't want it, but likes mine. My DD pressured me to start with this stylist, a friend of hers. She's treated me right so far.

I'm not sure if the "flattened" look is what she meant. I really got the impression she meant that the hair would/was actually thinning at the hairline, perhaps due to the weight. :confused:

The only stylist I've ever seen with longer than average hair works in one of the chain places and it's not in the best shape so she doesn't really seem to be a "role" model per se. :p And I've really gotten gun-shy about those type of places anyway....which is a GOOD thing. lol

whiteisle
April 14th, 2009, 03:16 PM
Hi Whiteisle,

Do you have a friend or relative you could trust to do the job? That is what I prefer.

BTW...I love your straight blunt hemline!

No unfortunately I don't know anyone. :(

And thank you. :o

Flynn
April 14th, 2009, 05:09 PM
You're probably going to look at me like I'm completely mad when I say this, but do you have a local barber?

My experience has been that the average barber is far more knowledgeable about hair and more accommodating to their client's wishes than the average hairdresser. They have fewer misconceptions like "long hair will send you bald", (or the flip: the shorter you wear your hair, the more hairs you will grow) and tend to trust you to know how to take care of your hair if it looks nice (rather than standing there with fried-out, broken-off hair telling you how your haircare routine is just not good enough.)

Provided you're after something simple -- and I dare say most long-haired people are -- they'll do exactly what you want, how you want it, for much less than what a salon charges.

My boyfriend, who wears his ringlets-curly hair at about shoulder-blade length, and I (waist-length and a little wavy) both use barbers instead of salons. Salons don't have a clue how to do his hair. The barber always gets it right.

Flynn
April 14th, 2009, 05:13 PM

No, I think the stylist thought that she would literally loose her hair. I've encountered this idea from hairdressers a lot too, as well as amazement at how thick my hair is when it's so long, speculation about how unbelievably thick it must be when it's short, and so on. My aunt got talked into having her little girl's goldilocks curls cut off because her hair would grow thicker later if she kept it short now.

[Sorry for the double-post; I don't think I can edit yet.]

renarok
April 14th, 2009, 05:36 PM
I have a great stylist. He is listens to me. He doesn't try and talk me into anything. I hope that you are able to find someone in your area that can please you.

It is really important to stress up front from the first contact with him/her what your long term goal is for your hair length. If you want 1/4" cut off that is what you should get.

I was a hair stylist for 18 years before I changed occupations and what I have observed is that the younger the stylist, the more they feel they know...... They feel that their advice is gospel...... (Sorry if anyone finds this offensive). It takes time to separate the ego from the job.

Rebelkat
April 14th, 2009, 06:11 PM
I hadn't thought about the barber shop........do you think they'd be skilled at a straight hemline cut? I ask because apparently that is difficult compared to cutting in layers.
I would actually think it is more difficult to cut layers than straight across. When you first learn to use scissors as a child in school, they start you out trying to cut straight lines. I don't see how it would be any different when you're learning to cut another person's hair. (Cutting your own is another story, though. In that case, a v-shaped hemline is easiest.)

I am absolutely sure that a barber could cut a straight hemline. The one that I used to see was able to do any type hemline that I asked. Perhaps when you go to find one, you can ask if he has experience in that area. If he doesn't, you can always keep looking. :thumbsup:

babybabycat
April 15th, 2009, 07:39 AM
I once had a co-worker that grew out her hair and always asked me to dust her ends. She hated going to the salon because they cut too much off.
Do you guys have long hair friends that cut your hair, or do most of us cut our own hair? I think I will just cut my own hair for awhile because I do not trust anyone at the salon.

babybabycat
April 15th, 2009, 07:40 AM
BTW, whiteisle...you have beautiful hair and I bet it will look gorgeous long!! I live in NC too!