PDA

View Full Version : misting container grief

littlemiss
April 3rd, 2008, 10:32 PM
What i would like to know is how, when misting with oils do you keep you bottle from going horrible and slimey on the inside?
last month i put together some great rosehip, peppermint and water for misting within the month it was un speakable inside:disgust:.
what do other do to help aid in this problem?? or is it just mine?? please help

Miss Murphy
April 4th, 2008, 01:43 AM
Could it be that you're using too much oil? Kimberlily's (http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/showthread.php?t=277&highlight=kimberlily%27s) de-frizz spray lists 2 teaspoons of oil in roughly 4oz water.

I made up a mister of this, and it's still quite ok.

Nadezhda
April 4th, 2008, 02:27 AM
What is the quality of the oil and water that you are putting into it? Are they pure essential oils or fragrance 'oils'? Are you using distilled water or tap water?

As an aromatherapist, I use only pure water and pure essential oils, and my spritzers are fine after months and months of use.

If it's alright on your hair, would you be able to put a small bit of witch hazel in? I use it as a stabilizer in my spritzers (my mister bottle is still packed up somewhere :( ) and that could possibly be whats causing the bottle to get icky.

littlemiss
April 4th, 2008, 03:48 AM
What is the quality of the oil and water that you are putting into it? Are they pure essential oils or fragrance 'oils'? Are you using distilled water or tap water?

As an aromatherapist, I use only pure water and pure essential oils, and my spritzers are fine after months and months of use.

If it's alright on your hair, would you be able to put a small bit of witch hazel in? I use it as a stabilizer in my spritzers (my mister bottle is still packed up somewhere :( ) and that could possibly be whats causing the bottle to get icky.
Im using good quality oils but tap water could be the problem or i may even be putting to much in. what is witchhazel and where would I get it from??

hazelceleste
April 4th, 2008, 03:49 AM
Is it just oil sticking to the sides of the container? I have a hard time getting plastic containers clean (even if I use a baby bottle brush), but soap and hot water works great on metal and glass ones.

Nadezhda
April 4th, 2008, 04:28 AM
Im using good quality oils but tap water could be the problem or i may even be putting to much in. what is witchhazel and where would I get it from??

Witchhazel is basically the plant essence of witchhazel distilled into water. It's great on cuts and stings, and I use it often as a toner and de-stinkyfier on feet before I do a reflexology treatment. You can get it in the pharmacy section at a grocery store, or at any drug/health store. Be careful and read the ingrediants though, many have lots of alcohol in them, or have been adulterated with other ingredients. I've seen witchhazel that has been mixed with aloe vera, which would be interesting to put into hair :)

Katze
April 4th, 2008, 10:00 AM
huh, I think I have only washed my mister out once since I got it...over a year ago. :shrug:

I keep adding stuff to it and it seems fine, smells nice, etc.

Do you have a dishwasher? If so, I'd run it through there once a week. If not just lots of soap and hot water, maybe even a soak overnight, then rinse well.

Patrycja
April 4th, 2008, 10:49 AM
Are you using any kind of conditioners in your mister?I have that problem when I use a drop of commercial conditioner.

sahiba
April 4th, 2008, 12:18 PM
Sorry for being dumb but I am really curious about hair mists.What so great about them?Even I want to use them but just want to know their advantages.

Patrycja
April 4th, 2008, 12:26 PM
Sorry for being dumb but I am really curious about hair mists.What so great about them?Even I want to use them but just want to know their advantages.

http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/showthread.php?t=1064 That is a thread that has bunches of misting recipes.Some swear by the fact that it calms down the frizzies and adds extra moisture when needed.I'm one of those that can't live without my bottle...man,that sounded a bit wrong LOL

anyway-theres a great recipe on that forum for Kimberlily's Defrizz Spray, I haven't used it yet but tend to make it as soon as my current concoction in my bottle runs out.

littlemiss
April 4th, 2008, 04:41 PM
well I think that I might chuck the container I have at present it is plastic, I have tryed to wash the insides with hot water to YUKkIE and start again:shrug:

sahiba
April 5th, 2008, 04:18 AM
Thanks for explaining me ilovemycop.