PDA

View Full Version : Spring hair - bleh.

Lamb
April 13th, 2009, 10:32 AM
Has anyone else noticed weird changes in their hair lately? I am at my wits' end with mine. It's dry, looks lifeless, doesn't hand right, I shed a noticeable amount with every wash, and it's just plain out of shape.
I have heard it's "normal" with season change, and we are at the end of a very long, tiring, cold winter right now. I hope this is the right explanation, and once spring has set in, my hair will be back to normal too. Some mornings, I just want to take clippers to it.
:justy:

Anyone can commiserate?

JamieLeigh
April 13th, 2009, 10:39 AM
I've noticed mine isn't as nice as it has been all winter - I'm sure the care routine will have to be a bit different in spring and summer, but I guess I just haven't found one that works for me yet. :rolleyes:

kirky
April 13th, 2009, 10:43 AM
My spring hair blahs come from just wanting a change some days! I started CO'ing about two weeks ago, and that has made me very happy. So condition wise I'm doing great with my hair, but with spring, I sometimes get that urge to cut and change my hair.

atlantaz3
April 13th, 2009, 10:44 AM
Frizzies and finding more split ends for me. I'm going to experiment with a home made (read watered conditioner) leave in treatment and see what happens.

earthdancer
April 13th, 2009, 10:52 AM
About 2 months ago, I thought I was going bald in front! For several weeks my bangs were suddenly thinner, noticably, and my overall hair texture was terrible. And split ends galore.

My hair is almost back to normal now, except I am still getting a lot more split ends than usual, and splits in the hair shaft (maybe due to harsh cold weather this winter).

jivete
April 13th, 2009, 11:08 AM
I have been shedding more lately, but my hair is much less dry than it was over then winter.

Just_Isabel
April 13th, 2009, 11:27 AM
My hair is actually behaving better now, but I attributed that to finding better products, not the weather. Where I am, Spring came earlier, and at the end of the colder season my hair WAS worse, but curly hair can be so unreliable (mine certainly is!) that I've just given up on finding "the true cause" for it doing whatever it is that it does. :silly:

Maybe small changes in your routine will help you feel better?

Another thought: I think that your hair is a bit shorter than mine, but otherwise very similar, no? My hair was driving me insane some months ago because of the length. It was some sort of "awkward stage" or something. It did get better with some added centimeters. :)
Hang in there, don't cut! Some added length will help if you're patient. :flower:

ETA: About the length - the difference is barely noticeable, but for some reason it does make a difference. Even if it doesn't sound logical. LOL

Masara
April 13th, 2009, 11:35 AM
Oh, I'm glad you posted this. My hair is dry and frizzy and none of my usual tricks for getting back in shape seem to be working. It's always easier if I can put it down to an outside influence. I hadn't thought of blaming it on the season change but that will do

Shorty89
April 13th, 2009, 11:40 AM
I'm just coming into the Spring/Summer hair time. I still haven't settled on a good routine. In winter it's CO, but Co makes my hair blah. I might give WO another go. Shampoo and conditioner don't work as my hair is dry, but oily :justy:

Chromis
April 13th, 2009, 12:11 PM
I am finding more splits, but I think that might be because of central heating in the winter more than the weather itself since I wear it up and under a beret when out.

Something that makes me very hair excited for Spring that might help: Now I can wear all the sticks and such that don't fit under warm hats again! :joy:

Jessikinz
April 13th, 2009, 12:36 PM
Oh i'm feeling the same way too. My hair does not look half as good as it did through all the winter months. I still have to figure out a good routine that will help my hair this spring and summer. Nothing yet so far. I'm going to start COing, and see how that goes. Sometimes I don't even want to take my hair down from the wrap bun it was in for sleeping. It's just a matter of making a few changes in your routine I suppose.

manderly
April 13th, 2009, 12:52 PM
Aw man, I was going to post a thread today too!

My hair has been downright craptacular, and I'm getting fed up! :justy:

Soooooooooo annoying.

Ndnlady
April 13th, 2009, 12:58 PM
Yes! I have been getting a little annoyed with it lately. I did a couple honey treatments which is leaving my length in great condition, however now it does not want to stay in any updos! I think it has something to do though with the fact that I don't have thick hair, I was actually thinking about cutting it the other day I was so frusterated.:(:justy:

Curlsgirl
April 13th, 2009, 01:14 PM
*raises hand* Add me to the list! Sigh. Mine was doing better when the weather was spring-like but now that the weather is bla again so is my hair! Hopefully when it settles down to REAL Spring/summer, it will do better, usually does. One good thing is after a shed it started growing again! So I am trying not to be too mad at it! :D

ktani
April 13th, 2009, 01:35 PM
It may just need a "spring cleaning" if more conditioning was done over the winter, to deal with the harsh weather (read clarifying).

Every spring I seem to want to experiment with my hair routine and I did that this year too. I have no regrets but I am back to basics.

I kept my windows shut when the weather was really bad and just did that again recently. My hair gets oilier when I do that but it beats being cold, even when bundled up.

I think all will be well with hair soon as the heating gets turned off eventually and things settle in with real spring. I long to see some green outside, and not bare trees.

For anyone fed up enough with their hair to want to reach for the scissors, impose the 2 week rule and find another way!

There are gentle ways to clarify like a shampoo for normal hair and natural methods like (not my choice) but others like it, well dissolved baking soda.

janeytilllie
April 13th, 2009, 01:40 PM
My hair was very very dry in winter and finally is now not dry and looks better :cheese:

But now I am going through a massive shredding phase! :justy: My hair happiness is short lived :(

Finoriel
April 13th, 2009, 01:44 PM
I´ve noticed the exact opposite. Winters are bone-dry and cold here, which is rough for hair and makes some extra treatments necessary.
Spring and humid rain-weather usually makes things much easier and better... :p at least hairwise.

rach
April 13th, 2009, 01:52 PM
my nails are none existent at moment and that is made of the same stuff. so brittle..... and usally i can grow them to a decent length.
my nails seem to react to changes in weather/home.
central heating went off totally a month ago.

ktani
April 13th, 2009, 02:07 PM
I´ve noticed the exact opposite. Winters are bone-dry and cold here, which is rough for hair and makes some extra treatments necessary.
Spring and humid rain-weather usually makes things much easier and better... :p at least hairwise.

It is the same here in Canada. But sometimes those same treatments can build-up. I am being very general. I am also not referring to my own routine but routines from past years, pre my using herbs. It is very humid where I am winter and summer but the dry indoor heat takes its toll and the cold winds do not help either. Spring and summer are definely more hair friendly.

Tabitha
April 13th, 2009, 02:25 PM
I've noticed worse shedding recently, and also my hair's become more "combination" - greasier roots, drier ends. The last two washes, instead of normal shampoo and condition I've done CWC with a stronger shampoo than usual and this seems to have the scalp feeling cleaner longer, and the ends happier - how long I can keep it up before the length needs clarifying remains to be seen.

LaurelSpring
April 13th, 2009, 02:46 PM
Im shedding kittens. Its freaking me out. I hope its just a spring thing. I actually had a momentary urge to cut this morning but it passed quickly and I thought. Where did that come from? I think its just that my hair is weird right now.

Citrine
April 13th, 2009, 02:56 PM
It's good to hear that I'm not the only one who's hair has been wonky lately. It is more unruly and somedays feels like straw. :shrug:Hopefully we can wait it out and our hair will go back to normal sooner rather than later

Suzie22
April 13th, 2009, 02:59 PM
My hair has been all over the place lately, but it seems it only does this when I havnt gotten a trim in a while.

~GypsyCurls~
April 13th, 2009, 04:03 PM
Mine's actually getting better, but I recently went back to CG. It was dry at first, (it was all along) before I got enough moisture into it.

Alethia
April 13th, 2009, 04:24 PM
Shedding more is what I've noticed. The shower is getting clogged again!

zen_oven
April 13th, 2009, 04:32 PM
We don't really have seasons where I live, we just have summer and Christmas. :D

Actually we do have cold blasts in winter, and along with those cold blasts comes dry air. My hair looks the worst in winter when it's cold and dry. I'm glad it's spring. More humidity means better looking, less coarse and dry hair for me. Once the humidity really sets in for summer I'll be hating life, but I'll enjoy THIS weather while it lasts.:cheese:

Feng-Shui
April 13th, 2009, 04:52 PM

For me the same.

My hair is terribly drying in the winter.

I`m pleased much that again spring am and then summers.

My hair is much more beautiful in the warm season.:)

Jeep Girl
April 13th, 2009, 05:20 PM
Count me in. My hair is being totally rude and uncooperative the past couple of weeks. Greasy and frizzy at the same time. Grabbing onto anything I pass by. Herbal cleansing/conditioning which was working so well for me - HAH! Not anymore.

Kirin
April 13th, 2009, 05:49 PM
Going through the same and am half tempted to shave my head. The velcro/tangly/non-behaving length is starting to get on my last nerve. My scalp is greasy, ends like a rat's nest......... been like this the past month now. No treatments, clarifying, nothing has tamed it down.

Praying the humidity that *should* be hitting the east coast at the end of spring will stop all that.

Darkhorse1
April 13th, 2009, 06:02 PM
My hair was looking great, nice and thick and back to it's original texture, but I then got it colored to remove my gray and it's alot slipperier than before due to the hair dye (semi permanent). My ends are a bit dry so I usually just oil and they are back to silky soft :)

Alia
April 13th, 2009, 07:05 PM
My hair is shedding more than usual and has big, nasty flakes of dandruff, ugh. I'm going to try conditioning my scalp more and see if that helps any. :shrug:

goodluckcharm
April 13th, 2009, 08:52 PM
So is mine! The large dandruff flakes are out of control. Yucky.

goodluckcharm
April 13th, 2009, 08:52 PM
Maybe we're shedding our winter skin? hehe.

marajade
April 13th, 2009, 09:03 PM
Has anyone else noticed weird changes in their hair lately? I am at my wits' end with mine. It's dry, looks lifeless, doesn't hand right, I shed a noticeable amount with every wash, and it's just plain out of shape.
I have heard it's "normal" with season change, and we are at the end of a very long, tiring, cold winter right now. I hope this is the right explanation, and once spring has set in, my hair will be back to normal too. Some mornings, I just want to take clippers to it.
:justy:

Anyone can commiserate?

Frizzies and finding more split ends for me. I'm going to experiment with a home made (read watered conditioner) leave in treatment and see what happens.

I found a lot more splits recently which is very uncommon for me. My hair was dry, wiry/crunchy, and unhappy. I thought it was protein build up but reading the many similar posts I guess it must be the weather changes. I S&D'd and CWC with plain protein/cone/anything free conditioner. I didn't apply any leave ins and my hair seems a lot happier now and so soft!! :cheese:

marajade
April 13th, 2009, 09:04 PM
So is mine! The large dandruff flakes are out of control. Yucky.

I forgot to mention- my scalp was FREAKING out! I was beginning to think I was gonna have to go to the dermatologist. Although, I did get a slight sunburn on my hairline, so that may have been it. After my treatment last night (basically scritching) and then the CWC- it seems to have cleared up thank goodness! :o

feralnature
April 13th, 2009, 09:14 PM
My hair seems to be thriving :)

I'm in central Texas where spring is in full swing. Flowers blooming, butterflies, baby animals. I have almost no hair shed and I am gaining in length and my hair seems thicker and fuller. I have been receiving unsolicited compliments on my hair (as well as my skin) perhaps because I have been taking Biotin since the beginning of January 2009. These compliments are all very welcomed by a 53 year old grey haired woman! (My avatar only shows the part of my hair that had been colored, in the front I am grey grey grey!).

I am washing and conditioning with VO5 about 2-3 times a week and use cononut oil consistently.

Arctic
April 13th, 2009, 11:04 PM
I had a spring shed but I think it's over now, it lasted perhaps month and half.

Other than that my hair has been in better condition now than it was in winter (well it's kind of wintery still here, snow and all), I did just what Ktani suggested on this thread: clarified, changed my routines from CWC (leaving some of the conditioner unrinsed) to S+C rinsing very well then applying leave-in. But I think Lamb has already tried that if I am not mistaken. The leave-in makes big difference. I have recently noticed there is difference if I leave some conditioner unrinsed (bad) to if I rinse very well and add the same conditioner as a leave-in (good). Picky hair :)

Lamb
April 14th, 2009, 03:56 PM
Wow, I had no idea there were so many others whose hair was not happy with spring either...! Thanks for the input. I have tried clarifying, in fact I find keeping my scalp clean with shampoo helps a bit. The shedding still drives me batty, though. :mad:
Arctic, my hair is picky like that, too. To top it all, my layers are growing, so my haystack is taking on a triangle form. No wonder I haven't been able to grow my hair since I joined, if every time I start out with a layered cut. :rolleyes: