PDA

View Full Version : Settling in...some more questions

WaitingSoLong
April 13th, 2009, 10:12 AM
OK, so I have made some small changes to my hair. First, I have sworn off hairspray. This alone has been wonderful. I have the advantage of starting out (on LHC) with already somewhat long hair (see avatar) with no layers and no bangs, it is all one length (I spent some years growing out layers, having it all whacked off when my shortest layer was shoulder length, and am now growing out dyed hair and veentually want that hair all off but it is half my length so it can wait). Thanks to you wonderful people answering my questions, I did the hair diagnostic thing and found out the only thing really wrong with my hair is build up! SO I thoroughly cleansed the build up and it is a tad dry but nothing to scream about. Little or no split ends so I am in good shape. I guess I "dumb-lucked" my way into it. I was just using Pantene products (have for years) and would occassionally use a clarifying shampoo. I had recently and accidentally started using a cone-free conditioner and have been using a boar bristle brush for years (again, dumb luck). I am trying sulfate free poo but am not really liking it yet. I got rid of my plastic hair combs that were breaking and pulling out my hair with every pass. Seems like I lost a LOT of hair to just combing every day. SO much, I would skip days and not even comb my hair some days.

My goal is 42" which is about TB length for me but I am more goaled towards healthier hair and treating it right. Using a light oil or my conditioner diluted and sprayed on to tame fly-aways instead of hairspray has been magical. I think the hairspray was a main problem for me. I am not even tempted to use it anymore! I bought a du-rag for this summer when I am out working/sweating which is when I am most tempted to use hairspray to keep hair out of my face. I will look ridiculous but OH WELL.

The best thing of all is that I learned to bun! I bought me some cheap hair stix to practice with and it turns out I am pretty good at this! This is amazing! My fav. is the hypno bun and the nautilus. I can usually do it the first try, thanks to YouTube. I always hated french braiding. I have done "hair up" challenges on my own and think I may do a one-month challege again while trying to get some length and moisture really into my hair. I part my hair in a zig zag (due to a cowlick) and what with the "wispies" that fall out by days end, I look pretty sexy I guess! lol. What is truly amazing is that I never did buns because the elastics pull my hair out and they give me hair headaches. Who knew you could use a stick! I have had my hair up in a bun 3 days in a row. I do take it out for bed and braid it.

Hubby wants me to try rag curls (I am totally sucking him into this with me, he helped me do a test rag-curl last night).

I found satin cases at Sally Beauty Supply and oil at target so I have not had to buy anything over the Internet yet (I prefer not to). I have been shopping hair stuff ever since I found LHC and am not quick to buy something so I am doing ok on self-control here.

OK, where are my questions? Here they are:

1. How often do you measure your hair? I had never done this before LHC. I did it once and DH helped me the second time and I was pretty accurate (1/4" off). I have no urge to measure it either BUT I want to know my growth rate. I had always assumed it was 6" a year. I see some amazing growth rates on here and covet a faster rate. I have not cut my hair since last August, I believe it was. I wrote it down somewhere. I had an inch off then. I had been prepared to get about 3" off and the stylist said I only need one. Yeay! I think my hair is about 4" longer now, so 6" a year is not far off. I was trimming every 6 months.

2. Does the monostat really work? What I could not find in the thread: Is it applied to wet or dry hair?, Is it applied ONLY to the scalp?, How long do you leave it in? Is it shampood out? How often do you do it? I am thinking of coupling this with the hair-up for a month concurrently and doing a before and after measurement. If I like it, I may do it for all summer, since I usually keep my hair up all summer anyway, and making my goal date my birthday in December. I had wanted to achieve hip-length by my birthday but maybe with the monostat/bunning I can actually reach my TB goal? I do suffer from migraines so I worry about the headache side effect.

3. What is a good strong hair stick that won't cost a lot? I saw somewhere you can do a home-made one...someone tell me how? I am interested in this. I like the cork-screw kind. But mostly want STRONG.

4. Heat caps. I tried to do a microwave deep condition but the towels cooled so quickly, it was a pain to keep re-heating. Does the microwave cap really stay warm 30 minutes and is the heat evenly distributed? I am OK with buying an electric one but have, honestly, not heard good things about them. They seem HUGE for one thing. Advice here? I was pleased with the outcome of my microwave deep conditioning but I want to do this once a week or so and it is very tedious to keep reheating the towels (and not get a steam burn in the process).

5. My terminal length does not seem to be very long, maybe thigh length. Can I increase my terminal length by proper care?

Thanks a ton

WaitingSoLong
a.k.a. Lori in Indiana USA

spidermom
April 13th, 2009, 10:24 AM
I measure my hair every 3 months. Every month was too often for me; I'd get anxious about having a month with no growth. So far, I've never had 3 months of no growth.

I've gotten my hair sticks from the swap board here. You can ask the seller/trader how sturdy the stick is when you see one you like.

I don't have a heat cap. What I've done is apply a treatment to my hair, cover with a shower cap, cover that with a wool cap. I used to have a heating pad, and I'd put that on top of my head if I knew I'd be sitting still (watching a movie). I like to sit with a treatment on my hair in the dry sauna at my fitness club these days. I'm paying membership, so why not use their resources for all sorts of things?

As far as Monistat, I won't use it to stimulate hair growth as I fear that too many hairs would reach terminal at the same time and then all shed out at once, leaving me with thin-to-no hair.

I do believe that you can maximize your hair length potential with good care but I don't know by how much. There are genetic limitations you can't overcome, such as how many years each hair stays on your head before shedding out.

JamieLeigh
April 13th, 2009, 10:51 AM
I'm with you - I found this site when I was about 39" or so, and at tailbone length with no layers. I do have fringe that was cut about 12 years ago, and it's nearly as long as the rest of my hair by now, give or take an inch. I'll try to answer as best I can, although some of the questions I'm not going to be super-helpful on:

1. How often do you measure your hair?
Some measure once a month (like me), just out of curiosity, but you'll probably get your best evidence of growth by measuring every 3 to 4 months. The longer you go without measuring, the more surprised you'll be with the high numbers. BUT I'm not strong enough to stay away from the measuring tape for more than a few weeks. :o

2. Does the monostat really work?
I've never tried this, but then again, I've never had trouble growing my hair out either. :confused:

3. What is a good strong hair stick that won't cost a lot?
Ditto to what Spidermom said - check out the swap board on here, and ask questions!! Also etsy.com has shops run by LHC-ers like Alia and Nightshade. I've found several good deals on there, as far as hair toys. :)

4. Heat caps.
Never tried one of these either! Sorry, I feel like I'm not much help! :(

5. My terminal length does not seem to be very long, maybe thigh length. Can I increase my terminal length by proper care?
Not sure on this one either. My terminal length had not been reached by the time I was nearly knee-length - yet the "system" for figuring this stuff out said I'd top out at 45". Terminal length isn't the same as a "growth stall" either. Some people assume they've reached terminal length just because their hair hasn't grown in 6 months or more...then they measure again in a year and find they've gained over an inch in length. Plus, terminal is marked by deep taper, from what I gather.

RancheroTheBee
April 13th, 2009, 11:49 AM

I never measure it. I used to, but I've found that it just causes me unnecessary stress and it doesn't bring me any closer to my goal to be constantly monitoring the growth.

I applied it to dry hair the night before shampooing. I also diluted it heavily with coconut oil and water, and it worked great for me. After a week, I got almost an extra centimetre, but my only problem is that it was really expensive and I can't afford to keep doing the treatments. I never got any excessive shedding, but I did get the headaches, even after dilution.

3. What is a good strong hair stick that won't cost a lot?

You could always carve and varnish one of your own, or you can check the shopping thread. :) As for how to do it yourself, it depends on what size you want and how good at wood working you are.

4. Heat caps. I tried to do a microwave deep condition but the towels cooled so quickly, it was a pain to keep re-heating. Does the microwave cap really stay warm 30 minutes and is the heat evenly distributed?

I think that heat from your head will keep the treatment reasonably warm for thirty minutes, especially if you also use a towel.

I've heard of people thinking they were at terminal and then doing something small like switching to satin pillow cases and suddenly growing again. There's always hope.

Nightshade
April 14th, 2009, 07:56 AM
OK, where are my questions? Here they are:

-- In the beginning I did it after each trim, but now I just do it whenever it looks longer and I get curious.

-- I've never tried it, but it seems to work reliably for some.

3. What is a good strong hair stick that won't cost a lot? I saw somewhere you can do a home-made one...someone tell me how? --- There's a whole thread on making your own hair toys over here (http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/showthread.php?t=131) :) I'm sure you'll get lots of help there!

4. Heat caps. I tried to do a microwave deep condition but the towels cooled so quickly, it was a pain to keep re-heating.
-- I've wanted one but haven't thrown down for one yet. I seem to get good results with just putting on a warm hat over a shower cap like I do for henna and letting my body heat do the work.

morguebabe
April 14th, 2009, 08:02 AM
I measure once a month.

Here is the Monistat thread (http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/showthread.php?t=156&highlight=Monistat) You had it spelled wrong.

I use my heat cap... I like it. I use it once every few months.

Thats all I can help with.

WaitingSoLong
April 14th, 2009, 10:02 AM
Here is the Monistat thread (http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/showthread.php?t=156&highlight=Monistat) You had it spelled wrong.

Ah, so I did! Thanks!:)

And thank you all for answering my questions. I think I will just try the shower cap and hat and not spend the $ on a heat cap.

Can't wait to check out the hiar toy thread. :cool: