PDA

View Full Version : The 'Incapable of Updos' thread

Lady Verity
April 13th, 2009, 05:48 AM
There must be someone else out there who cannot for the life of them create an updo. Any updo. Let alone ones involving eight intricate strands of Rhodesian-tribal-salamander-braids twisted into an octagonal-twisty-cinnamon-flavoured-bun dipped in the blood of virgin elves. :p

I can braid it for sleeping. That's it. Otherwise, it's too fine to stay up, I can't see the back of my head, I don't have the patience, and I look silly with my hair up anyway. So it's down, all the time.

I'd love to be able to do a crown braid or one of those Lolita-esque Heidi braid things, but I just. can't. do. it. :brickwall Which is a shame, because I'd like to show off my neck from time to time. Purely for attracting vampires, understand.

So! Who else is clueless and inept? And how shall we rectify this?
:bounce:

florenonite
April 13th, 2009, 06:02 AM
There's a Hair Idiots thread somewhere, and I think there was a time on it when everyone tried a given updo for a week (or a month?), such that through practice one could improve.

I'm pretty bad at updos, but I can do some simple buns and French plaits. I managed a dutch crown a grand total of once for bed, and can't for the life of me replicate it now.

Also, your comment about vampires reminded me of the first thing my DBF said to me when we met. I was wearing a scarf, and he asked me if it was for protection from vampires. My response was I needed no protection because I am one :o

Kerynna
April 13th, 2009, 06:41 AM
I can do updo's on other people but I really can't do them on myself. I think we need to set up some kind of network of LHC members who live within a couple of miles of each other and who can do each other's hair, at least for special occasions and such. I love doing other women's hair. :)

rags
April 13th, 2009, 07:36 AM
I was going to second the motion that you look for the official hair idiots thread (I believe that's the title). I think I have finally graduated out of there, as I can now do several updos. (I have been able to do all of them since my teens, including intricate braids, etc. - on other people! Not my own head!).

Curlsgirl
April 13th, 2009, 07:44 AM
I can do very few BUT only a regular or french braid ends up not pulling my scalp hair. So I guess I qualify even if it is just because I have such a tender scalp. I only wear halfups and braids because of this anymore.

SHELIAANN1969
April 13th, 2009, 07:48 AM
:waving: I cannot do anything, I mean absolutely nothing with my hair except the 10 second bun. I try, I try, I fail. :(

I think it is because I only had short hair my entire life, I never had experience doing anything. I had to try for 15 minutes to get the correct amount of hair in the ficcare clip in my siggy picture, that's really sad.

I suck at updos, what else can I say? :poot:

Tichad3
April 13th, 2009, 08:14 AM
:waving: Me!!! I can do a simple pony tail on myself and that's it. I've been practicing the French Braid, but I'm pretty sure it's not suppose to look like the horrible knot that I end up with.:disbelief

I keep hearing that practice makes perfect. But I don't know if my hair can take anymore practice.:shake:

wackyredtangles
April 13th, 2009, 08:16 AM
I'm pretty good at updos, its really all about the practice.

Except for the French Twist. I absolutely cannot do that! Its so pretty and sophisticated looking, I'd love to able to. I suppose I'll have to take my own advice and practice more.

learnthenLive!
April 13th, 2009, 08:18 AM
The only thing I can do on my own hair is a bun. I can do a single braid but I don't want to wear a braid all day everyday. So I just wear it in a bun all day everyday. haha I wish I could french braid my own hair. My sister can french braid her own hair. It's amazing to watch.

Peter
April 13th, 2009, 08:27 AM
I can do a ponytail or a braid. That's it. I'm pretty sure my hair is long enough for a bun, but it's so thick and I can't do one yet

Aisha25
April 13th, 2009, 08:29 AM
Dont worry haa, I couldnt do a bun till my hair was at least waist length:)

I can do a ponytail or a braid. That's it. I'm pretty sure my hair is long enough for a bun, but it's so thick and I can't do one yet

eadwine
April 13th, 2009, 08:43 AM
:waving: I cannot do anything, I mean absolutely nothing with my hair except the 10 second bun. I try, I try, I fail. :(

And here I came running in to recommend my 10 sec bun :lol:

I have made a new youtube movie about it, one that is much clearer still than the old one which admittedly was a bit fast. Maybe this can be followed along by everyone :)

Here is the link, have at it! http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aixus3LDPxE

~GypsyCurls~
April 13th, 2009, 09:17 AM
I really can't do 'em. Whenever I wear my hair up or back it's to get it out of the way, but I cannot make it look good. The curls never lie totally smooth against my scalp, I think they would if i did the updo when wet but if I did that, my hair would take ages to dry! Argh!

BTW Aisha25, I've been meaning to tell you this but your siggy pic is A M A Z I N G.

Aisha25
April 13th, 2009, 09:25 AM
I really can't do 'em. Whenever I wear my hair up or back it's to get it out of the way, but I cannot make it look good. The curls never lie totally smooth against my scalp, I think they would if i did the updo when wet but if I did that, my hair would take ages to dry! Argh!

BTW Aisha25, I've been meaning to tell you this but your siggy pic is A M A Z I N G.
:oThank you so very much Gypsycurls:D:flowers:

camirra555
April 13th, 2009, 09:53 AM
I'm in the same boat. All I can do is a regular braid and a simple bun. I WISH I could french braid. My mom can but she lives five hours away so...

florenonite
April 13th, 2009, 10:31 AM
And here I came running in to recommend my 10 sec bun :lol:

I have made a new youtube movie about it, one that is much clearer still than the old one which admittedly was a bit fast. Maybe this can be followed along by everyone :)

Here is the link, have at it! http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aixus3LDPxE

I'll need to try this again. I tried it several months ago, when you first posted it, and didn't have nearly enough hair for it, but I might do now.

Peter
April 13th, 2009, 10:54 AM
Dont worry haa, I couldnt do a bun till my hair was at least waist length:)
Haha it's what we get for being South Asian. :p

sagebabies
April 13th, 2009, 11:09 AM
I can do a bun with a scrunchie, a french braid, and regular braid. I've watched the video at Ficcare on how to do a french twist like a million times and no matter how many times I follow along I can't get mine to do it.

My hair is still pretty short so I think a lot of the styles will elude me until my hair gets longer. I can't even wear sticks yet, which ticks me off.

I LOVE the idea of having a hair style a month for everyone to practice and wear. Love, love, love it!!!!! I just wish my hair was longer because I probably wouldn't be able to do any of them.

I started making a list of updo's to try/practice, but since my hair is short the list is still pretty short.

Oh, have you tried the gibson tuck? It's pretty darn simple and I'm able to do that one w/ my length.

florenonite
April 13th, 2009, 11:12 AM
I can do a bun with a scrunchie, a french braid, and regular braid. I've watched the video at Ficcare on how to do a french twist like a million times and no matter how many times I follow along I can't get mine to do it.

My hair is still pretty short so I think a lot of the styles will elude me until my hair gets longer. I can't even wear sticks yet, which ticks me off.

I LOVE the idea of having a hair style a month for everyone to practice and wear. Love, love, love it!!!!! I just wish my hair was longer because I probably wouldn't be able to do any of them.

I started making a list of updo's to try/practice, but since my hair is short the list is still pretty short.

Oh, have you tried the gibson tuck? It's pretty darn simple and I'm able to do that one w/ my length.

I see you're a iii, too, so you've probably got a ways to go before you can do much, unfortunately :o I still can't do much, and I'm at 26.5"

Elenna
April 13th, 2009, 11:16 AM
With long, fine, greying hair it's kind of difficult to first figure out which hair styles look good and which ones that I can actually do. So far, I can do a ponytail, a single braid, a chignon (my version is a rolled up ponytail). And hopefully be able to do a French Braid again, but hair seems to be too long for a French Twist!! My one decent & recent bun is on my profile page.

Hay22
April 13th, 2009, 12:05 PM
I'm glad that you posted this. I can make a pony-tail or a pony-bun kind of thing and that's it. I can also braid my hair, but only if it's pig tails, nothing behind the head. Watching the tutorials does nothing but confuse me!

luciole
April 13th, 2009, 03:48 PM
It's not that I can't do updos, I just don't know how to use hair sticks and pins.

~GypsyCurls~
April 13th, 2009, 03:59 PM
I can't even watch the how-to videos since my computer is too slow to watch videos :/

WelshLocks
April 13th, 2009, 08:38 PM
For me it's my layers that keep me form going anywhere.I can do braided pigtails and the Gibson tuck(which falls down quickly) but I'm waiting it out until I can start braiding it. Unfortunately that day is fast approaching and I don't know any good updos!ack!This thread was made for me. :D

BranwenWolf
April 13th, 2009, 08:47 PM
I think my sole limit with buns is braiding it, then tying that in a knot, then securing that with pins and a big elastic.
I love pretty hairsticks but I can't get that to stay up more than an hour. My hair is very rebellious.
I didn't try buns for the first 17 or so years of my life with classic-length hair because they hurt so much. Now I feel like I can make one that doesn't hurt but then they don't stay up! Argh!

I just learned to put two french braids in- one down each side of my head- and will have to employ that for a wilderness trip. Need to start practicing without the mirror!

Themyst
April 13th, 2009, 09:44 PM
I am extremely uncoordinated. It is very difficult for me to watch a hair how-to video with my hands behind my head and try to figure out what they are doing.

I also cannot line dance. I went out to a country bar with a friend once and made a complete fool of myself. I felt so ridiculous - why can everyone else watch what is going on and do it, but I can not?

I suspect I would also be a failure at those aerobics classes where you stand opposite the teacher and repeat her actions. :doh:

I wear my hair up in a simple wrap around bun. Maybe someday I'll run into another hair enthusiast close to me so I can try something more elegant.:)

templeofvenus
April 14th, 2009, 01:03 AM
well I guess I qualify as a hair updo failure too firstly as my hair is not long enough yet lol I am growing it now! but secondly, when it was long enough a few years back, ponytails, plaits and low bunches were about the limit of my talents! I have fine hair so that doesn't help but I think mastering the art of the fancy updo must take a lot of patience!:)