PDA

View Full Version : Oh help

LadyEliza
April 12th, 2009, 06:44 PM
I have asthma, and now have my second lot of pneumonia in 16 months. Last time my hair was very short, so it didn't worry me. This time my hair is APL, and horrifying. I'm having sweaty fevers, I'm too weak to comb it or put it up. I just have it in a scrunchy. It's never looked so bad and I'm afraid it's being damaged. Plus I'm on steroids for the asthma and two lots of antibiotics for the pneumonia and two new inhalers as well as my usual meds. This can't be good.

Do you have any advice, or support? Please tell me that my hair will be alright by the time I'm well again!

Rosepatrice
April 12th, 2009, 06:51 PM
I just hope you feel better soon! Your hair won't die if you don't wash it for a few days, just rest. The stress over worrying about it will cause more damage then anything!!

naturalme
April 12th, 2009, 06:57 PM
I agree with rosepatrice. Take care of yourself, rest, and don't worry about your hair. There's plenty of time to do special care for your hair once you are better yourself! Rest up and look after yourself. :)

lizzyjo
April 12th, 2009, 07:02 PM
Poor dear! I hope the medications work. A french braid or even a regular braid would be good for keeping it out of the way for a few days, but if you don't have the energy to do that then a ponytail is just fine. Your health is more important than your hair! I've had my hair in a ponytail for a few days and the worst thing that happened was that it was just tangley.

manderly
April 12th, 2009, 07:06 PM
Take care of yourself!

There is nothing that a bottle of conditioner slathered on your head in the tub won't comb out. Don't be scared by all the hair you lose, it's not breakage, it's just days worth of shed hairs that got stuck. :)

Nyghtingale
April 12th, 2009, 07:09 PM
LadyEliza, I am so sorry to hear your are sick. I recently went through this exact same thing. I have asthma, got pneumonia and was on several rounds of antibiotics and prednisone (just finishing the 4th round Tuesday). As weak as you may feel, try to get into a shower every couple of days. The steam will make you feel better. Towel dry and braid it to keep it out of the way. I will keep you in my thoughts.

Rebelkat
April 12th, 2009, 07:13 PM
I agree with everyone that says not to worry. Right now just focus on your health. When this is all over with, you can treat your hair extra special to make up for it (not to mention it's an excuse to pamper yourself). :redgrin:

If you have someone who can help you to comb it and braid it, that would be a good idea. You can leave the braid in for a couple of days and it'll be fine. I had back surgery and was on heavy antibiotics and unable to do anything for myself for several weeks, so I know how you feel. Mine would be braided for up to 4 days at a time and still be okay when I took it down.

Get better soon! I'll be sending you positive vibes!

Kirin
April 12th, 2009, 07:28 PM
Another chiming in.

Don't worry about your hair, it can all be fixed when you are well again. The worst thing that will happen is it knots and gets dirty, all of which when you have patience and are well enough for can be undone.

No one's hair spontaneously became a damaged ravaged mess from being sick needing to be completely sheared off. Just keep that scrunchie in, and we wish you the best.

marialena
April 12th, 2009, 07:41 PM
Take care of your self , take your medicines, relax and don't worry. Your health is more important than your hair and your hair will be just fine as soon as you will be fine and healthy. Think positive and don't worry. :)

wackyredtangles
April 12th, 2009, 08:04 PM
I agree with everyone else. Rest, and get better. If you have someone around who can brush your hair, and you like having your hair brushed, go for it. Once you feel better take a nice long shower, and throw on the shampoo and conditioner. Your hair will be just fine.

Alia
April 12th, 2009, 09:28 PM
:grouphug: Asthma and pneumonia take it out of you--I know, 'cause it's happened to me, too. If you are able, put your hair in two braids and forget about them until you're better. If not, don't worry. Your hair will make it just fine. Rest, take all of your meds, and drink as much clear liquid as you can. When you get well, go to your doctor and ask for a pneumonia shot. If you're predisposed to lung troubles, they are a must and sure made a big difference for me.

MemSahib
April 12th, 2009, 09:34 PM
I hope you are better soon. Since everyone has chimed in with good advice about getting help to braid it back, I won't add that as a new suggestion but just mention that it is a good one. In the meantime, concentrate on your lungs, not your hair. May you soon be blessed with health...

wissles
April 12th, 2009, 11:34 PM
Oh my! I remember when I had pneumonia together with asthma. I seriously thought I was going to die, I could barely breath. And everytime I tried to move I couldn't breath at all. It.. sucked. But then I went to the hospital and got to breath more powerful stuff than my regular asthma medicine, and gosh, it felt great! I could breath again. It was such a relief.
Everyone has already adviced you on what to do, so I don't think I have to say the same things. I just wish you to get well soon! :)

shayly-fyanna
April 13th, 2009, 02:44 AM
I agree, rest and get better, if you can have someone braid your hair to keep it out of the way. and if possible just keep it well oiled. your hair should be fine if you ignore it a bit, just get better. I also have asthma, but haven't suffered pneumonia for a long time, but i understand you, feeling bad, tired, weak and the last thing you should worry about is your hair. if you can get someone to braid it and oil it then do that, then concentrate on yourself, drink lots of liquids and i will pray for your health and recovery. the hair will be fine until you feel well enough to actually get up, take a shower and fuss with your hair. just recover and rest. HUGS.

DecafJane
April 13th, 2009, 03:07 AM
Get well soon!

eadwine
April 13th, 2009, 04:03 AM
I just got better from pneumonia, I had it in braid all time, but don't worry.. whatever happens, when you feel better you can wash it with LOTS of conditioner to loosen tangles. It'll work out :) Get well soon!

Just_Isabel
April 13th, 2009, 05:19 AM
Take care of yourself!

There is nothing that a bottle of conditioner slathered on your head in the tub won't comb out. Don't be scared by all the hair you lose, it's not breakage, it's just days worth of shed hairs that got stuck. :)

I was going to say this, too. Even if your hair gets a tangled mess, you can solve that relatively easily with some patience and lots of conditioner.
I hope you feel better soon! What a horrible combo, asthma and pneumonia. :( Your hair will be fine, you won't need to cut it when this is done. Just get healthy. :)

janeytilllie
April 13th, 2009, 05:54 AM
I agree what everyone here has said :agree:

I hope you make a speedy recovery and get better soon :flower:

learnthenLive!
April 13th, 2009, 08:41 AM
Get well soon and don't forget to drink lots of water!

Rosepatrice
April 13th, 2009, 02:25 PM
If you can, drink some wheatgrass juice, about 2oz three times a day...also, drink some raw veggie juice, too. The juice will allow your body to concentrate on healing itself without the extra burden of digestion, yet giving your body the nutrition it needs to repair itself.

If you can, ask if someone can help you make the juice. If you have no juicer, make smoothies instead, if you want to. Just suggestions. You don't have to do this, you know!

Hope you are feeling better!!!!:cheese::cheese::cheese:

jera
April 13th, 2009, 02:46 PM
Though my hair hasn't been short in a long time, once when it was and I had the flu I put it up in pigtails because it wasn't long enough for braids. Maybe you could try this?

Also, I hope you'll be feeling better soon. It might help you to try to focus on getting well and healthy hair will just follow if you do that. It always does. The brain leads the body !! :)

Johanna64
April 13th, 2009, 02:52 PM
Get well soon!
Take good care of yourself! :flower:

Jeep Girl
April 13th, 2009, 06:42 PM
You poor baby! Put in a braid or biker pony - a pony tail that you add extra elastics down the length spaced about 2" apart. I did this when I had surgery at xmas. And came home to find out that the sewer was backed up so I couldn't take a shower for 4 days. (lucky we had a porta-potti) When you do feel well enough to comb it - it might be the time to break out a silicone based serum to help with combing out the mattes (mats?) and tangles. Evil I know - but they do work if you need get the uncombed feverish and sweaty head knots out - especially if your texture leans towards the fine end of the spectrum. (the serum can be washed out after all) I have done this - sacrificing my no 'cones stance for not having to rip through tangles that will absolutely will not come out.

I hope that you and your hair are feeling better soon.

HeatherMae
April 13th, 2009, 08:29 PM
I also agree with everyone else. Don't worry about your hair right now. Focus on getting yourself better.

((((Hugs))))

I hope your feeling better real soon.

susiemw
April 13th, 2009, 10:06 PM
I hope you feel better soon.

Relax, your hair will be fine.
Try to find a style that will keep it out of your way while
you're feeling so miserable. Braids, pony tail,
bun... just get it out of your way so you don't have to
see it or worry about it.

Once you feel better, you can get back to your normal
routine and you'll see your hair will be back to it's normal self!

good luck and feel better soon!

susan

AnnaMarie
April 14th, 2009, 12:13 AM
You poor thing! I hope you are feeling better soon :flower:

LittleOrca
April 14th, 2009, 12:55 AM
Yes, take care of yourself first, but if you have a satin cap it will help keep your hair nice and untangled. It may be a little uncomfortable at first, but if you are really worried its something to try.

templeofvenus
April 14th, 2009, 01:05 AM
oh I really hope you will be well soon hun you sound so poorly! I am sure your hair will recover when you feel well again, illness reflects in the hair and skin etc but as you imrove all things will come back to normal I am sure.

get well hugs to you

Flynn
April 14th, 2009, 05:29 PM
Of course it will be alright. It'll probably be even nicer, for having had a break from lots of washing and combing.

Also, if the (several) times I've wound up with bronchitis (thankfully never pneumonia, though) you'll also find you have great, flat abs from all the coughing once you get better, too. Good dose of asthmatic hacking and wheezing is better than an intensive course of sit-ups for flattening out the tum >_o

Eat plenty, keep warm, and get well soon! *Hugs*

LadyEliza
April 14th, 2009, 10:12 PM
Thank you everyone. I asked Zoe to help me comb my hair and it felt much better. Just leaving it in the pony tail for now.

I am feeling a bit better, so tired of being unwell!!!